The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

01202 303626 Royal Bournemouth General Hospital, Castle Lane East , Bournemouth, Dorset, BH7 7DW

Neil gave The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

brilliant Endoscopy day clinic

Had a very good morning under the circumstances a Flexible Sigmoidoscopy. Sadly no pain killers were allowed as I had an Ear operation in the past.
Was a little uncomfortable but not painful, possibly due to the excellent Specialist.
They really tell you the findings as you view the screen so you can make suitable life changes to help you look after yourself more.
I had to bindings to some Haemorrhoids which were a little uncomfortable but in the long run was worth the effort of getting it sorted.
Was a little worried about the nurse who I saw take 3 canullas out wearing the same gloves, is that a hygiene risk?

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 02 October 2017

The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 October 2017

Dear Neil

Thank you for your comments about visiting Endoscopy recently and we are pleased to hear that the overall experience was positive and you had a gentle doctor making the treatment as pain free as possible and explaining the findings in real time on the screen.

Sorry to hear that the pain relieving method (Entonox gas) could not be given to you due to your previous ear operation and hope this did not add undue stress to the treatment you had.

I have raised your concern about the cannula removal with the Sister and she has reminded staff to adhere strictly to Trust policy regarding infection control and has asked me to thank you for drawing this to her attention.

Patient Engagement Team

Amy gave The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent

I can't thank the staff at RBH enough. Right from the phone call from Admissions organising a date for my operation to the phone call I made when I had a question about my aftercare, everyone was so friendly and helpful. So grateful and proud of our NHS

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 16 June 2017

James Rowden, Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 June 2017

Dear Amy
Thank you for your feedback, we are pleased to hear that you had a good experience and that you thought everyone was so friendly and helpful at RBH.
We will make sure your kind comments find their way back to Admissions to share with their team.
Patient Engagement Team

Malcolm gave Diabetic Medicine at The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Catheter Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation

I would like to thank everyone at RBH for my treatment,culminating in a catheter ablation on Ward 23 last week. Their professionalism, kindness and skill was exemplary. It's too soon too comment on the outcome although I have only had one episode lasting about 3 hours since the procedure. In the weeks immediately before the atrial fibrillation would last 48 to 72 hours, then a similar period clear. Alternately it would last 3 to 4 hours, clear for s short period then commenced again without any apparent triggers. Often it would start, or stop during sleep. Often breathlessness is caused by the atrial fibrillation. Invariably frequent visits to the toilet during the first hour of arrymia.
Please edit or shorten as you require.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 10 April 2017

The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 April 2017

Dear Malcolm

Thank you for sharing your experience of the Cardiac Department following your recent Catheter Ablation.

We are pleased to hear you are making good progress after the procedure and your episodes have reduced in both frequency and duration.

Thank you for noting the kindness, professionalism and skill of those treating you and your comments will be passed on the lead nurse to share with the rest of the team.

Best wishes for the future and thank you again for your feedback
Patient Engagement Team

Susan Lee reviewed The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Racing heart

Went to A&E last night (26 January) with a racing heart, a high temperature & feeling so rough. All the staff were very attentive, kind & reassuring & I had many tests all of which were sorted out in a short space of time & I was sent home with antibiotics for my infections. Amazing department-think they should all get a wage increase.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 27 January 2017

The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 31 January 2017

Dear Susan Lee

Thank you for your feedback about your recent visit to our Emergency Department, it sounds like you had quite a worrying time for you so we are pleased to hear the ED team were attentive, kind and reassuring while running the necessary tests to diagnose an infection.

Hopefully the antibiotics are now taking effect and you are feeling much better and more like your normal self.

I’m sure the staff would love a wage increase but these are agreed nationally and outside of our control, but they would be delighted to hear you feel they deserve one and I will make sure your kind comments are fed back to them via the Matron.

Patient Engagement Team

Anonymous gave Diabetic Medicine at The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Christmas Day Angels

I had a heart attack on Christmas Day and was taken to Bournemouth Hospital Cardiac unit. On arrival I was taken to the cardiac lab where the doctor's team were waiting for me, just as the reassuring paramedics had advised me. The team were very professional and courteous with a sense of humour too, which helps to put one at ease. 'Anything to get out of the Christmas Day washing-up' was one quip! Within 30min I had a stent to clear a blockage and wheeled to CCU where I was made very welcome and comfortable as well as given a Christmas present to unwrap! A deep red towel with a Christmas penguin motif plus a bottle of shower gel. Maybe someone was trying to tell me something! I spent two nights on CCU and a last day on Ward 22 where everyone also treated me like a Lord. Thank you so much to all the staff that treated me and nursed me whilst missing out on their Christmas Day and Boxing Day celebrations. Or was it that they too were dodging the washing up!!

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 16 January 2017

The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 January 2017

Dear Anonymous

Sorry to hear your festive celebrations were interrupted by an annoying heart attack and I do hope the Christmas elves had done the washing when you got home.

I’m sure we can all agree that no-one truly enjoys washing up, or heart attacks for that matter, so I do hope you are now feeling much better after your rest and recuperation in our cardiac department.

Thank you for noting how professional and courteous the cardiac team were, using humour to put you at ease during what I am sure must have been a worrying time for you and your family.

It is good to hear the stent was fitted so quickly and you were made comfortable on CCU and I’m sure the Christmas gift bore no reflection on your appearance although you probably weren’t looking at your best having just had a heart attack.

We will pass on your kind feedback to the areas you stayed during your visit so that all the staff can enjoy your comments.

We wish you well with your continued recovery

Patient Engagement Team

Anonymous gave The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Rheumatology Christchurch Hospital

I have been looked after by rheumatology for the last 12 years. I cannot fault the service they provide and however busy they are they will try help as soon as they are able. There is always a listening ear when you think no one understands your pain, from the office to the nurse practitioner and many more, I feel like I'm being looked after privately. Well done all of you at Christchurch Rheumatology for making my life easier and caring.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 15 September 2016

The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 September 2016

Dear ‘Anonymous’

I am sure you have seen many changes to the hospital over the last 12 years, not least the re-development of the whole site at Christchurch, which I hope has not been too disruptive to you or your treatment.

We thank you for noting the high quality care you have received over this period from the office staff to the nurse practitioner.

It is always encouraging having a swift service and a listening ear from someone with empathy and understanding.

Your kind words will be passed on to the Rheumatology team as I know they will appreciate your feedback.

The patient engagement team

Christina James gave at The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Please write a short headline summaryhip replacement

Thank you all at the Derwent Centre for all your support help and understanding at my recent replacement hip operation.
I can't praise you enough for the dedication and team work
shared by you all.
The doctors and phiso staff were brilliant getting me going again.
You are all an inspiration .
Thank you so much.Sincerely Christina James Room 11.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 06 June 2016

Sue Mellor, Patient Experience Lead, Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 June 2016

Dear Christina James
We are pleased to hear that you found the dedicated team at the Derwent Centre understanding and helpful during your recent hip replacement and it is good to know that the physiotherapists and doctors managed to get you up on your feet and mobile so quickly.
We wish you a full and speedy recovery and I know the staff would welcome your comments which I will pass on to the ward Sister to share with the team.
Sue Mellor
Head of Patient Engagement

Anonymous gave The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Christchurch Pathology

Called at Christchurch Pathology at 07.45 to find the opening times changed from 08.00 to 09.00 which is not ideal for working folk.
After a wait of 1.25 hours the by then queue of 60 people was admitted to Pathology.
Ten or so folk had just walked out.
Obviously the hospital can set its own working hours but if you ask 60 or more, mostly older folk to queue then more seating than a three seat wooden bench may be a good idea. Epic fail.
Called the switchboard at Bournemouth to register this and suggest a solution and was put through to a department that was not manned. Another fail.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 11 May 2016

Sue Mellor, Patient Experience Lead, Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 17 May 2016

Dear Anonymous
We would like to apologise that you have had difficulties accessing the Pathology Department at Christchurch hospital.
You comment coincides with feedback from another patient last week so I have already raised this point with the Phlebotomy Manager and received a response which addresses the working hours of the department as shown below
“The Phlebotomists start at 08.00 hours to collect specimens from the patients on the Wards and Day Hospital at Christchurch. On their return from the Wards they parcel the specimens to send to Royal Bournemouth Hospital for testing and open the Phlebotomy service, usually around 09.00 hours
It has been brought to our attention only recently by the new Phlebotomy Manager that the Phlebotomy service has unofficially been opening earlier with the result that the staff have been unable to complete their duties before formally opening at 09.00 hours. This has caused further problems later in the day with the specimens for Warfarin patients not arriving at The Royal Bournemouth Hospital in a timely fashion
The Department are now reviewing the operational aspects for Phlebotomy at Christchurch Hospital with an understanding that an appointment system will be introduced once all our new staff being appointed are trained”
With regard to the lack of seating available this has been an on-going issue during the re-development of the Christchurch site but hopefully resolve once the work is completed and may not be an issue if the service changes to become appointment based rather than open access.
We are sorry you were not able to get support after you were transferred by switchboard to an office that was not manned at that time, we will raise this with their manager.
Thank you for raising these points, if you wish to discuss further please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALs) on 01202 704886
Sue Mellor
Head of Patient Engagement

A & E

I know it was early in the day and not too busy for my visit but all the staff (reception, triage, radiology, consultant and health assistant) were efficient, friendly and sympathetic.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 25 January 2016

The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Michele cumberworth gave The Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Visit to A & E 12th December 2015

I visited A & E today as I was in excruciating pain after I tripped, twisted & jarred my knee, I have an existing injury wihich I am waiting on a refferal for from my GP.
The staff at reception were friendly and helpful, the Triage nurse was very kind and took me round to have an X Ray. The radiographer was efficient and friendly,
However, the nurse i saw after the X-ray was most definitely the rudest, most arrogant, condescending member of the NHS I have ever come across! They walked into the room, without having looked at the X-ray and said "what can I do for you?" ( as far as I am aware that's what triage is for) they then proceeded to speak to me like a child by telling me that there was nothing they could do for me and to go back to my GP for a referral.
I am not angry at the outcome of my visit, I was hoping for some relief from the pain but I understand that there has to be a procedure, however, I was disgusted at the way this nurse looked at me and spoke to me! They practically threw the knee injury booklet at me and turned and walked out of the room without so much as a smile or a single once of sympathy or even a goodbye!
When I asked them if I could possibly have some crutches as I couldn't put any weight on my leg at all, in a tone I can only describe as annoyance they replied " well I can loan you a pair for a couple of days but you'll have to bring them back!" I don't really understand why they had to say that, Maybe they thought I wanted them as a fashion accessory!!
I have far better things to be doing on a Saturday afternoon than be sitting in A & E for hours and my visit was because I didn't know where else to go or what to do with myself & the level of pain I was in.
I came away feeling very stupid and like I'd wasted their time.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that is what they are there and was being paid for.
And I'm really sorry that my injury wasn't serious or important enough for them to have treated me, as a person in excruciating pain with a little more thought, a tiny bit of sympathy and even an ounce of respect.
All in all I think they were a very unpleasant person.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 12 December 2015