The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust

01553 613613 Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gayton Road , Kings Lynn, Norfolk, PE30 4ET

Tony Kenber reviewed The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust

Colonoscopy

I am 69 and had a colonoscopy test on 6 September 2017.

The Sister and their staff looked after me exceptionally well and I felt privileged to be under their care and attention throughout the procedure and during my time at the QE2.

I could not have any sedation because no-one was at home to look after me following discharge. I was fully conscious throughout and the pain was much less than expected. (My technique with gas and air was not the best despite expert tuition!).

The doctor who carried out the survey was considerate, thorough and very professional.

Thank you to everyone who helped me on the day including your volunteer reception staff.. I felt very fortunate to be treated there and everything was completed in just over two hours.

Tony Kenber.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 15 September 2017

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 September 2017

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent experience undergoing a procedure in the Endoscopy Unit. It is not a pleasant prospect to have one of these examinations and I am pleased that you found the procedure less daunting than you thought at first and that all the staff provided you with the care and support that you needed. I will share your comments with the team on the Endoscopy Unit and I am sure they will be pleased to hear that you had such a positive experience. I do hope that the procedure was successful and that you are now fully recovered.

Tel: 01553 613459 or email: claire.roberts@qehkl.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

Day Surgery

I had surgery on my knee recently and was extremely pleased with the care that i was given. My surgeon was explaining the situation all the way through the procedure as did the anaesthetist. All nursing staff were excellent. Looked after me very well. The only problem i had was one member of the nursing team in Arthur Levin day care they need to take lessons from their nurses in how to deal and talk to people. At times they were very arrogant..

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 02 September 2017

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 September 2017

Thank you for commenting on your recent knee surgery in the Arthur Levin Centre. I am pleased that overall it was a very positive experience and that in general the staff were excellent. However, it is disappointing to hear that one member of staff did not meet that high standard and came over in an arrogant and unhelpful way. I will be sharing your comments with the Matron for the Centre and I am sure that she will discussing your comments with the team involved. I do hope that you have made a good recovery from your procedure.

Tel: 01553 613459 or email: claire.roberts@qehkl.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Visit to A&E

Following an ambulance attendance at night on the 22/07 and a recall due to concerning CT results on the night of 23/07. We attended a&e on the 24/07 for clarification on the results and greater information.

The receptionists on all occasions were friendly and could not have done more for us!

The assistant practitioner on the night shifts of those dates went above and beyond the call of duty! Ensured we was comfortable and kept us informed! They were a star!

On the 24th during the day, we saw the doctor and was transferred to the observation ward on a&e. The nursing auxiliary and especially the doctor was lovely! Putting our minds at ease!

I only wish that we could post names on here, as these people deserve to be recognised and rewarded!

Thanks to the all the radiologists and specialists that reviewed the scans! Thanks to the porters for quick transfers to CT!

Overall although waiting times were rather long, the care we received couldn't have been better!

Only concern was on the Saturday night, the doctor (different to the day time doctor) failed to give us clear information, therefore leaving us worried hence the visit on the Monday. However the nurses were so busy on the Saturday night, that although alerted, sick bowls were left in the cubicle for over 2 hours, and no observations/assessment was carried out until 3 hours after the arrival. With a head injury and signs of concussion, I am glad I was there to monitor my partner, as had things been worse I really fail to see how they would have been noticed or managed due to under staffing/too many patients.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 24 July 2017

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust replied on 25 July 2017

Thank you for posting your comments about the experience you and your partner had when attending the Emergency Department this weekend following your partner’s head injury. I am glad that overall you found everyone compassionate and caring, particularly yesterday when you were called back to discuss his CT scan results, but I am sorry that on the night of the accident the Department was so busy that staff were not able to be as attentive as they would have wanted to be. The Emergency Department has been very busy during recent weeks and unfortunately there have been times when staff have had to prioritise what they are doing. I apologise if that left you feeling unduly worried and in a position where items such as used vomit bowls were not dealt with immediately. I do hope that your partner is feeling better now and has recovered from his concussion. I will share your comments with all the staff in the Emergency Department and I am sure they will be pleased to hear that they were able to support you well yesterday and will look at what they could have done differently on Saturday when clearly the Department was under pressure.

Tel: 01553 613459 or email: claire.roberts@qehkl.nhs.uk

Tony Newton gave The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic teams and excellent care!

Whilst we were holidaying in Norfolk my wife started getting double vision and headaches. Following a call to our GP he recommended that because of the symptoms and that fact that my wife has terminal cancer we should go to our nearest A&E. The A&E team were very quick to arrange blood tests, CT scans and a meeting with the Ophthalmology consultant. All this and results within the same afternoon. My wife was then admitted onto the MAU where again the care was second to none. The following day wife was moved to Terrington ward.
Again the care, treatment and attention to detail was excellent. The liaison between the various departments and consultants and the feedback to us was far superior to that of our local University Trust hospitals. The ward Doctor also went out of his way to liaise with our oncology department and GP to ensure that we could be discharged and that follow care was available.
My wife and I would like to say a massive thank you to each individual member of the team (of which there many) who helped throughout her stay.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 21 July 2017

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about the service your wife received whilst she was with us. I am sure that it must have been a very worrying time for you both and I am glad that we were able to provide you with the attention, support and care that you both required. I will share your comments with all the teams involved and I am sure that they will be very pleased to hear that they were able to help you through this difficult time. I hope that your wife’s condition has stabilised and that now that you are home she is getting the support she requires.

Tel: 01553 613459 or email: claire.roberts@qehkl.nhs.uk

SW gave The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Nurses and paramedics are worth their weight in gold!

I had to call an ambulance to assist with a fall my 16 yr old daughter had playing football Friday evening. The paramedics could not have been a nicer crew, keeping her reassured, making her laugh and keeping her as pain free as possible, the whole time informing her of their every move. We arrived at QEH very calm and sat in A&E for our turn to see triage and a doctor. It was a busy night, and understood that we weren't a major incident so sat waiting patiently. If fewer people had taken more responsibility for their visits, i.e. a patient that forgot to order an inhaler, we'd have been seen a little quicker.
After nearly 9 hrs we left, daughter was in a plaster cast, pain was manageable and we had an appointment for this morning in the fracture clinic, so all was ok. On leaving the hospital, one of the paramedics we'd had help us earlier came over to check my daughter was ok. The paramedic took time out to chat, said how pleased thy were that my daughter was on her way to being fixed and went back to work.
This morning we arrived and didn't have to wait more than half an hour to see the consultant. Again we were happy. We went through to the plaster room to have a brace fitted instead of a plaster cast, which my daughter was so upset about. She understands why she had this but was absolutely gutted as she has prom next weekend!!!
She had a few tears and we left with an appointment to see the consultant in 8 weeks, grateful that it wasn't worse! Later today I had a call from the nurse that fitted her brace, to check she was ok, worried about how upset she was and gave us a bit of advise to help her prom dress fit with the brace. Yes it's a vain thing to worry about but it's a big deal to a 16 yr old girl!! But how lovely that the nurse cared enough to call me! I don't know the names of the paramedics or the nurse today, but jeez what a truly lovely bunch. I cannot thank them enough. It's the little touches that made such a huge difference. These guys and gals aren't paid anywhere near enough, or thanked. So cheers lovely people, it really was much appreciated x

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 19 June 2017

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your experience following your daughter’s accident. I am glad that you had such a positive experience despite the delays due to the busy nature of the Emergency Department. I will share all your kind comments with the staff concerned and with our colleagues in the Ambulance Service; they will be pleased that their care was appreciated. I hope that your daughter’s leg is healing well and most importantly that the Prom evening goes well.

Tel: 01553 613459 or email: claire.roberts@qehkl.nhs.uk

Patricia O'Connell gave The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

Dermatology Department

I attended the Dermatology Department on Thursday 27th April at 9.45 a.m, to have a Basal Cell Carcinoma removed. I found the receptionist charming and helpful and efficient. The Consultant explained the whole procedure to me and was so kind and the nurses that attended me were wonderful, all so helpful, friendly and caring. I can't praise them highly enough. Would recommend this department of the hospital to people. Well done to them all and all their work and efforts are very much appreciated.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 29 April 2017

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 May 2017

Thank you taking the time to share your very positive experience on NHS Choices of being a patient within the Dermatology Department. I am pleased to hear that your procedure went well and that all the staff from the moment you arrived gave you a warm welcome and provided you with care and support throughout. I will share you kind comments with the Dermatology Department and I am sure that they will be pleased to know that you had such a good experience despite the circumstances. I trust that you are now making a good recovery from your procedure.

Tel: 01553 613459 or email: claire.roberts@qehkl.nhs.uk

jan gave The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

QUICK DIAGNOSIS SAVED MY BROTHER'S LIFE

On 9th May, my brother suffered a seizure whilst he was in Norfolk, having travelled over from Northern Ireland for a family holiday. The ambulance service responded really quickly and by the time we arrived at A&E, a nurse from the stroke unit was there to meet us. Within hours, my brother was receiving the best specialist care, had a CT scan and was admitted to the high dependency unit in the West Raynham Stroke Unit. Although, it initially appeared he had suffered a stroke, the doctors were unable to clarify until further tests and scans were undertaken, so covered all bases. One of the treatments was the administering of an anti viral drug for encephalitis, a rare condition where the brain becomes inflamed and swells. Unless there is a quick diagnosis and immediate medical action, it can result in death. The team of consultants left no stone unturned in finding the cause of my brother's illness. They consulted with medical staff at Addenbrooke's hospital in Cambridge, to eliminate the possibility of a brain tumour and to confirm that he had indeed contracted encephalitis. We have no doubt that these consultants and junior doctors saved my brother's life with their quick reaction. The entire team were amazing: the consultants, doctors, staff nurses, nurses, assistant nurses, cleaners. Everyone played a part in caring for my brother and in keeping the unit clean and safe. There aren't enough words to express our gratitude to them. We were privileged to see the NHS working at its best whilst my brother was fortunate enough to be in The Queen Elizabeth hospital for over four weeks. Members of staff were always on hand to answer any questions we had and they kept us fully informed at all times. The West Raynham Stroke Unit is an absolute jewel in the NHS. Thank you for saving my brother.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 13 May 2017

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 May 2017

Thank you for providing such a fulsome comment on the treatment and care your brother received when he unfortunately became seriously ill while on a visit to Norfolk. It is good to hear that he not only received such wonderful care but that the staff were able to support you all through this very difficult and frightening experience. I know that the staff on West Raynham ward will be pleased to know that their treatment was not only successful in helping your brother but equally importantly that their care helped to make the experience as positive as possible in the circumstances. I hope that your brother is now recovered from his illness. I will share your comments with all the staff on the ward and I am sure that they will be very pleased to know that they made such a positive difference to you all.

Tel: 01553 613459 or email: claire.roberts@qehkl.nhs.uk

Richard marriott gave The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Let down hugely by the ward

Still waiting for a staff member to answer a question after 3 hours and several times asking. The question is about a new born baby so its obviously not of high importance. My partner has been stressed and let down by disinterested staff. Watched nurses not washing hands on entry and many other small let downs. Avoid this ward as its poorly staffed. Poorly organised and the worst environment for new mothers and babys

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 11 March 2017

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 March 2017

I am extremely disappointed to read of your experience following the birth of your baby. We aim to provide a supportive and caring environment for new parents and their baby and I apologise that we have clearly failed to do so on this occasion. I am sure that the Matron for the ward would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in person to not only apologise but also to fully understand what the problems have been so that they can be immediately followed up and addressed. I would be grateful if you could contact me so that I can see if we can learn from what went wrong and make improvements. I do hope that you and your new baby are both doing well.

Accident and Emergency

I was taken to A & E yesterday afternoon after a suspected stroke. I am only 40 and so it seemed unlikely but I was seen immediately by a nurse on arrival and they straight away put me at ease with their kindness. I was then seen by a the stroke team who were equally as attentive and reassuring. I had various tests, done very quickly and all of the staff were fantastic!! It's so easy to complain but forget the positives. I am now home with medication and sound advice plus follow up appointments for further investigation. Wonderful staff!!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 17 February 2017

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent experience in the Emergency department with a suspected stroke. It is very good to hear that you received attentive, kind and timely care and I am sure that the staff concerned will be very pleased to know you had such a positive experience despite the obvious worries at the time. I hope that you are feeling better now.

Tel: 01553 613459 or email: claire.roberts@qehkl.nhs.uk

John Simms gave The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

appointment times

Yesterday, the time of my appointment was 4.0 pm. At 4.35 pm I was told that the next patient to be seen would have had an appointment time of 3.15 pm (at least 1 hour and twenty minutes late) As the person who drove me to the hospital had a business appointment that evening I could not wait any longer.If the clinic starts on time and sufficient time is allowed for each appointment how can the clinic get so far behind?

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 19 January 2017

The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 February 2017

Thank you for posting information on the difficulties you experienced when attending your clinic appointment. I am very sorry that you experienced such a significant delay and I fully appreciate why you had to abandon your appointment and go home. This is clearly unsatisfactory and I would like to investigate what occurred on that day and I am sure that the matron for outpatient services will be anxious to ensure that action is taken to try and limit a similar situation in the future. I would be grateful if you could email me with the details of the clinic you attended and the matron and I will investigate and get back to you as soon as we have some answers as to what occurred that day.