Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust

0151 708 9988 Liverpool Womens Hospital, Crown Street , Liverpool, L8 7SS

D Abraham gave Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Midwife - give this member of staff a medal!

I was induced on Wednesday morning, transferred to delivery by 9pm weds night. 1cm dialated at 6am Thursday and 10cm by 8.30 am Thursday! The midwife was calm and knowledgeable, treated me with dignity throughout my induction and labour and when my baby had decelerations during the pushing stage, ensured that help arrived without my even knowing there was an issue. Ended up with a ventouse delivery and again the midwife took the time to reassure me. Post labour the midwife was able to find me a side ward so my partner was able to stay with me and baby overnight.

I honestly cannot praise the care from LWH enough.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 12 June 2017

Kevin Robinson, Deputy Head of Patient Experience, Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 August 2017

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. It is always good to hear when patients have such positive experiences. I will pass your feedback on to the teams involved.
Thanks
Kevin

Laura gave Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 3 stars

C-section July 2016 -

After an emergency c section with my daughter in 2012 I opted for an elective section with my son in July 2016. When I had my daughter I was told any further pregnancies would be under consultant care due to complications. At 30 weeks despite repeatedly asking my midwife about seeing a consultant for a c section I decided to take matters into my own hands to find out why I had had no appointment through! Eventually it was uncovered that at a 6 week scan in the early assessment unit I had been placed under a Gyno code instead of a maternity code! At 34 weeks I finally saw a consultant who was fantastic and booked my section..on the day of my section I got a phone call to say the hospital was at capacity and they would have to cancel to rearrange in 2 days time! On the day of the section the staff in theatre were fantastic, very reassuring and an absolute credit to the hospital. Unfortunately this wasn't the case on the ward in mat base where I waited 2 hours for a cot for my son! The tag on his ankle was too tight to the point his foot started turning purple this was sorted by staff after me showing them! My venflon stockings had not been switched on and the drip to stop me bleeding was also not switched on which meant I bled for longer than usual! Eventually this was sorted out but I was very distressed by this and felt extremely let down! I was up and about in the evening with the help of a health care assistant who was brilliant. Night staff came on and despite being told I'd get pain relief on a regular basis I didn't! Pressed the buzzer as the pain was unbearable when trying to care for my son but waited over an hour so I just accepted the pain and did what I had to do! The next morning I waited to be discharged and seen by a doctor! 4pm still waiting I discharged myself as I felt I would be better looked after at home! All in all the aftercare on the ward was not up to standard and it was not the positive experience I had hoped for! I was very relieved to get home with my son but felt traumatised by it all for the first couple of weeks and struggled to understand why I had been treated the way I had. Pals did deal with the consultant issue which I was grateful for, they dealt with it quickly and I was glad it was sorted. I strongly feel the ward was understaffed and not properly managed which is a cause for concern. Had I not noticed my drip was not on it could've been quite serious! I understand it's a busy hospital but the lack of care was concerning for both myself and my partner.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 17 August 2016

Barbara Freeman, Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 August 2016

Can you please contact me on 0151 702 4416, as I require more information to take this forward.
Regards
Barbara Freeman

Anonymous gave at Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 3 stars

Awful experience at times

My son was stillborn at the women's in june. I had been feeling awful and told my midwife and consultant at my appointment the day before but was just told " will all be over soon" & " oh dear, your having a bad time of it". The following night I called ahead with severe pain and bleeding at 3am, when i arrived there was no one to even meet us. My partner asked security who told him " the wheelchairs are over there mate". we made our way upstairs and it took a further 10 mins for anyone to even answer the door. I was eventually told my son had no heartbeat and delivered him minutes later. I suffered a rare life threatening pregnancy condition and i must admit they did well to save me. I was there for 5 days and in that time all the midwives seemed to talk about was me & my partner. " your an unusual couple! How on earth did you meet?" one even asked me " where i met someone so much older?". My much loved and longed for child had just died and they wanted gossip, i felt very judged for my choice in partner on top of all my suffering. I have been unable to use their bereavement team or attend the meetings as i was made to feel so uncomfortable there. The team was great in getting the legal side of things sorted for us but then i was shut out. I think it was because they needed to see if i was going to 'make a fuss'. As soon as I'd had my debriefing 15 weeks later, they suddenly allowed me on the forum. Why?.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 26 December 2016

Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust replied on 29 December 2016

Firstly, we would like to offer our sincere condolences following the devastating death of your son resulting in him being still born. It is important to us that we meet our patients expectations and therefore sincerely apologise that you feel we failed to support you at such a difficult and emotional time when you were grieving for your son.
We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience further in order to provide you with any necessary support you require at this difficult time, answer any outstanding questions you may have and ensure any actions required are taken to ensure this does not happen again.
With this in mind I would encourage you to contact our Patient Experience Team on 0151 702 4353 or via email on mailto:PALS@lwh.nhs.uk who can arrange this for you.
Claire Mathews
Interim Head of Midwifery
Liverpool Women’s Hospital

Anonymous gave at Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Colposcopy

I have visited colposcopy a few times as i have severe cervical issues, but i am too young for a smear. However the staff working on colposcopy are fantastic and have assured me they will see me yearly until i am old enough for a smear. I have pre-cancerous cells but they cant be removed at the moment due to severe bleeding, so until the cause of the bleeding is found they cant operate. They have kept me re-assured though. I am happy enough to keep going back as the staff are lovely.

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 25 January 2016

Liverpool Women's NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 January 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to send in your thanks, this will be forwarded to the staff.