Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust

01872 250000 Royal Cornwall Hospital, Treliske , Truro, Cornwall, TR1 3LJ

Anonymous gave Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Receptionist needs to work on people skills.

The receptionist told me I was wasting time bringing my daughter in, even though I’d phoned 111 and was told to take her there due to a serious head injury. I was told my best bet was to go to West Cornwall to start triage then come back. I was also told, whilst checking in I couldn’t have my daughter’s nationality as English she had to be Cornish, my daughter is not Cornish so the receptionist agreed to record her as white British. The lady was harsh and I felt treated us very unfairly, my daughter was on the floor and stared to vomit. Once we finished checking her in we were told to go straight to Peds, where they were waiting for us, the nurses, doctors, consultants and porters were absolutely fantastic. My daughter needed a CT scan and was treated fantastically. However the receptionist was terrible. I was made to feel as if I was wasting peoples time when in fact my daughter was very ill and needed help.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 14 April 2019

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust has not yet replied.

Angela Downing gave Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Critical Care Unit

This amazing unit cared for my brother two weeks ago. Sadly,despite amazing efforts from all the medics and nurses, my brother lost his fight against sepsis. It wasn`t just the care they gave my brother but the care that was afforded to all my family that was outstanding at this very difficult time. All the doctors and nurses on duty were all remarkable with the level of compassion shown. They allowed my brother to die, with dignity, surrounded by all his family. They arranged for a priest to deliver the last sacrament and again all this was done with so much compassion. All our family members were free to come and go no matter what time of day and this was so important to us. My brother was in the unit 14th to 16th Feb.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 04 March 2019

Michaela Brewer, Royal Cornwall Hopitals NHS Trust replied on 08 March 2019

Dear Angela
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your brother's and your family's experience of our amazing Critical Care Unit, especially at this very difficult time for you. My name is Michaela and I work within the Patient and Family Experience Team here at Royal Cornwall Hospital. I am saddened to learn that despite the amazing efforts from all the medics and nurses your brother sadly lost his fight against sepsis and please accept my heartfelt condolences for your loss.
I am heartened to read that the staff not only provided your brother with wonderful care but that this care was also afforded to all of your family. It is wonderful that they were compassionate to you and allowed your brother to die with dignity, surrounded by all of his family. I will be sharing your kind words and praise with the Critical Care Team as I know they will appreciate knowing that they were able to make the worst of times for you and your family that little bit easier by providing you all with the opportunity to be with your brother when possible, no matter what time of day this was.
Thank you again for sharing your family's story.

Alison R-C gave at Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic quick and helpful treatment in A & E - thank you!

I arrived at WCH A & E department on Tuesday 27 November 2018, after having a bad fall on a petrol station forecourt, and thinking I had badly sprained my right arm and right ankle. I had a 5 minute wait in A&E before being whisked away in a wheelchair by a porter to x-ray. The porter then wheeled me back to A & E, where a very nice nurse told me that I had actually broken both my arm and my ankle.
This was a real shock as I didn't realise they were broken, but almost immediately another nurse had plastered my right arm, and found a walking boot for my ankle. They also respected the fact that I did not want to take codeine- based painkillers and gave me Naproxen instead. I called a friend to drive me home.
I have used the Penzance A&E many times over the years (mostly for getting my teenage son's accidents dealt with) and never had anything but amazing, quick, friendly treatment. The public may complain about A & E departments across the country, but this one is always calm, efficient, and very quick to get you treated, especially for acute issues.
Having lived in Canada and the States for some years (and been married to a hospital consultant) I just want to say that we should be so proud of our NHS and the wonderful (and free!) healthcare that we get in the UK, in spite of funding crises and a lack if doctors and nurses. I can't thank you enough in A & E for brilliant and super-quick treatment.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 14 December 2018

Marie Maclaren, Sister, Urgent Care, West Cornwall Hospital, Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 10 January 2019

Dear Patient
Thank you so much for taking the time to give feedback to the Urgent Care Centre at West Cornwall Hospital. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and you were treated by staff in a professional and courteous manner. I will share your comments with all staff concerned. I hope that you made a good recovery.

Anonymous gave Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Very welcoming considering I'm not from the region

Great people, very welcoming considering I'm not from the region.
Time to wait was 2 hours at a&e. Very good compared to what I'm used too in Oxfordshire. 4 hours if your lucky, for a minor injury of course.
Had to use the doctors too, unlucky this time on my visit to Cornwall. Again get fast and great staff.
Thanks Cornwall NHS

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 03 August 2018

Jess Saunders, Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 07 September 2018

Dear Anonymous,
Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to you. I am so glad to read about your positive experience in our Emergency Department at the Royal Cornwall Hospital. I am pleased to see that you were made to feel welcome in our hospital and our county.
I am responding to you as a member of the Patient and Family Experience Team, but I will ensure that your praise is passed on to the relevant people.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story with us.
Best wishes,
Jess

Anonymous gave at Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Feeling worse than admition..

I have recently been a patient on the Eden Ward and can quite honestly say that’s after one night i genuinely felt worse than I did upon admition. As a young woman suffering with pain and discomfort of ovarian cysts and unsure as to what was happening to me, it’s incredibly unnerving. This anxious feeling is only elevated by the fact that I was sharing a ward with patients with all sorts of medical conditions, a lot of them elderly with no control over their bodily functions. No sleep due to snoring and shouting and I was shocked by one nurses own admition that this ward is a ‘dumping ground for patients awaiting care packages or transport to care homes’.

When will the NHS start getting it right? The poor nurses are fantastic considering how overstretched they are. They spend the majority of the time, from what I can see and hear, coming and going with commodes and sick bowls and washing/changing elderly patients. I spent most of the night in agony not wanting to push the call button and add to their already stressful workloads! It is not fair that young women that are suffering with actual Gynaecological issues are sharing wards with ladies that quite clearly need to be elsewhere. It is an ordeal in itself being in pain but the emotional stress is something else! This is not a knock at any of the staff, they brilliant it’s just really not a nice place to recover and relax whilst seeking the medical care that is needed.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 21 August 2018

Jess Saunders, Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 25 September 2018

Dear Anonymous,
Firstly, please may I apologise for the delay in responding to your story. I am so sorry to learn of your experience on Eden ward at the Royal Cornwall Hospital, where you suffered pain, discomfort and a lack of communication regarding your care which left you feeling anxious and stressed. It is saddening to see that you spent most of your stay in agony, not wanting to use the call button as you were worried that this would add to nursing staff workload.
The Trust is currently looking into ways of reducing noise at night to ensure patients are able to sleep well and recover from their illnesses. We will use your story to highlight the ongoing problems around noise at night.
I am pleased to see that you found the nursing staff to be fantastic even though they were busy on the ward.
I am writing to you as a member of the Patient and Family Experience Team, but I will ensure your story is passed on to the relevant members of staff who can reflect on your experience and make changes to improve their service in the future.
In the meantime, if you would like us to look into these events further, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient and Family Experience (Complaints) team by leaving a message on 01872 252793 or email [rcht.patientexperience@nhs.net](mailto:rcht.patientexperience@nhs.net), a case worker will get back to you within 3- 5 working days to discuss your concerns with you.
Very best wishes,
Jess

Barbara Tucker gave Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Surgical visit for a port to be fitted.

Visited the surgical unit on Friday the 13th July. From start to finish my case was dealt with, with nothing but care, consideration and compassion. I entered the unit and was dealt with straight away by one of the nurses there given a gown to get ready went through all the questions etc all very easy and calming. Then I got seen by the consultant and the surgeon who was doing my procedure who explained the procedure to me and what part in it I would have to take etc. Went into the surging unit they were all so caring making me laugh during the procedure chatting about my past career as I use to be a prison officer 😱 all in all a wonderful entertaining experience but all done so professionally. Went into after care tea and toast given procedure with after care of my port etc explained effectively to me. If all visits to this hospital were like this I would be a happy bunny for sure 10/10 for this unit. Sadly with my next review on my experience of the headlands unit is not gonna be the same as the wonderful treatment I received on the surgical unit. 🙁

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 19 July 2018

Michaela Brewer, Royal Cornwall Hopitals NHS Trust replied on 24 July 2018

Dear Barbara
Thank you for sharing such wonderful feedback of our Surgical Unit which you visited on 13 July. I am pleased that from start to finish you were treated with nothing but care, consideration and compassion and you left the unit feeling happy and positive.
I do hope that you have recovered well from your procedure and I will be sharing your feedback with the surgical team who would have taken care of you throughout. I know they will be delighted to know that you felt comfortable, everything was explained thoroughly, they were able to make you laugh yet stay professional and the aftercare was explained effectively to you.
However, I am disappointed to read that you did not have the same positive experience when attending the headland unit and I will respond direct to that review.
Michaela Brewer, Patient & Family Experience Coordinator

Barbara Tucker gave Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

Most horrendous unit I have ever visited.

Visited the headlands unit for my first ever chemo session there. I have however had chemo three times before at a different hospital before my relocation to Cornwall with no problems at all in the Great Western hospital in Wiltshire. (Wishing I had never left now) I arrived at 8-am for bloods to be done before my chemo session. Waited an hr and half before I was told that they were ok after catching the eye of the nurse who took my bloods in the waiting room whilst calling for another a patient other wise I still would of been waiting for someone to tell me they were ok. Was assured my chemo was on order and that I would be seen soon. By 11-am after 3hrs waiting I went to reception and asked to speak to the ward sister. Spoke to the ward sister who told me my chemo was on order for the afternoon and I had been moved to the afternoon list. I was so upset at being lied to as I was told my chemo was on order and would be getting it soon. It’s a 7min infusion with a two hour cold cap treatment. I wasn’t happy and didn’t wanna go through my treatment and wanted it all cancelled as this is how upset I felt. When you’ve had eight yrs of good care at a previous hospital it’s hard to take on board uncaring treatment like this. And your just made to feel like your an inconvenience in the headlands unit to them. I understand and believe me I’ve had eight yrs of treatment so have seen the influx of cancer patients in hospitals, but we are the patients the people dealing with cancer on a daily basis not knowing what quality of life we all have left so expect to be treated with care and shown compassion when we are there which I felt I wasn’t being treated that way at all. I left the hospital for a break as it was all getting to me and asked them to call me when my chemo had arrived which they called at 12-15pm. I returned to the unit and was kept waiting another hr before any effort was made to cannulate me as the port couldn’t be used for a wk. Failure to cannulate so ward sister called she was busy with another patient so had another half hr wait which I didn’t mind as not everyone can cannulate first time when veins are shot away after chemo sessions. Eventually got a cannula in. My husband and I prepared the hair for cold cap treatment and put the cap on. Nurse plugged in 10mins later not working nurse called again apparently all well 10mins again not working ward sister called with another nurse nope not working plugged cable in clicked instant brain freeze so 25mins wasted again had to reset for half hr again before treatment could be given. 7min infusion of chemo given after half hr expired then sat for another hour and a half after for cold cap treatment. What should of been a two and half hr treatment turned my day into 9hrs at the hospital. What I also don’t understand is that no observation are done temperature blood pressure my heart rate is high due to fluid on my lungs that needs monitoring. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 19 July 2018

Michaela Brewer, Royal Cornwall Hopitals NHS Trust replied on 24 July 2018

Dear Barbara
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your first visit to the Headland Unit. I so sorry to learn of the negative experience you had, the lack of communication and feeling that they were uncaring and you were and inconvenience. This is certainly not how we would want any of our patient to feel.
I cannot begin to imagine how upsetting your experience must have been and appreciate your reasons for being unhappy and not wanting to go through with your treatment, especially after having 8 years of good care at a previous hospital. All our patients should feel that they are treated with care and shown compassion throughout and I am sorry that we have let you down and not met these expectations on this occasion.
We would really like to look into this particular event for you; if you would be happy for us to do so or if there are any other concerns we can help to resolve for you, please contact our Patient and Family Experience (Complaints) team by leaving a message on 01872 252793 or email rcht.patientexperience@nhs.net. Once we have received your details, a Case Worker will get back to you within 3-5 working days to discuss your concerns with you.
I will of course be sharing your feedback with the Headland Team and their Matron so that they can reflect on your experience and where possible make changes to avoid similar circumstances happening to other patients in the future.
I am sorry again for your experience and I hope that we will be able to look into this further for you, so that you are assured that this will not be repeated again.
Michaela Brewer, Patient & Family Experience Coordinator

Tracey Orr gave Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

suspected brain bleed

Excellent care given by NHS,from ambulance, A and E staff,medics, pathology and radiology.
God bless the NHS and the amazing people who work there.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 07 January 2018

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 31 January 2018

Dear Tracey
Many thanks for your kind comments and I am sorry for the delay in acknowledging these.
'Suspected brain bleed' must have meant an incredibly worrying time for you and I am so glad that you received excellent care throughout. I will ensure that I pass your feedback onto the teams involved.
Jenny Thomas, Patient + Family Experience Manager

SUE gave Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Trauma 1

had to attend Trauma 1 with fracture/dislocation neck of humerus. all members of staff I met treated me with utmost care, kindness and dignity. Was in enormous pain but this was dealt with very well. Went to theatre to have dislocation manipulated and theatre staff were lovely; perfect mix of efficiency, kindness and humour. Was kept informed every step of the way from being admitted to A&E to discharge by all ward staff. What a great team and thanks for helping me .

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 27 November 2017

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 29 November 2017

Dear Sue
Thank you for posting such wonderful feedback for the Emergency Department, Trauma 1 and all other staff involved when you were recently admitted after a fracture/dislocation of the neck of humerus. I am sorry that you had cause to use their services, but am so pleased to hear that you were treated with the utmost care, kindness and dignity. I will ensure that your praise and thanks are passed on to all staff involved as I know that they will be as equally delighted to receive it.
I hope that you are now recovering well after your procedure.

Susan gave Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Complete team effort

While on holiday in the area our nine month daughter had a fall cutting her head. In our 24 hour stay we encountered many departments and can easily praise each and everyone one them. Everyone demonstrated genuine compassion without been patronising while been highly professional.

The ambulance team got to us quickly and brought that instant calm and even checked up on us later.

To the A&E team who seemed to waiting for us. We were instantly seen and possible plans were discussed. We felt they listened to us and kept us very much involved.

The Max Face team were contacted and our first of many chats happened swiftly, again we always felt involved. It might have taken a long time before our daughter went to theatre but we don't see this as a negative. Her stitches looked neat which were so important given its on her face. The doctor even checked up on us the following morning, it was their day off!

The Harlyn team were so helpful and caring we were made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble.

We thank you all for making an awful situation very much bearable. Credit where credit is due.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 19 October 2017

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 20 October 2017

Dear Susan
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a positive review of Royal Cornwall Hospital; I am sorry you had cause to use our services whilst you were on holiday but I am so pleased to hear that your baby daughter received such fantastic care and that you were listened too and kept involved throughout. I will ensure that your feedback and thanks is passed to all of the teams that looked after your daughter throughout her stay.
Thank you again and I do hope that your daughter is healing well and you were able to enjoy the rest of your holiday.