Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust

01872 250000 Royal Cornwall Hospital, Treliske , Truro, Cornwall, TR1 3LJ

Susan gave Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Complete team effort

While on holiday in the area our nine month daughter had a fall cutting her head. In our 24 hour stay we encountered many departments and can easily praise each and everyone one them. Everyone demonstrated genuine compassion without been patronising while been highly professional.

The ambulance team got to us quickly and brought that instant calm and even checked up on us later.

To the A&E team who seemed to waiting for us. We were instantly seen and possible plans were discussed. We felt they listened to us and kept us very much involved.

The Max Face team were contacted and our first of many chats happened swiftly, again we always felt involved. It might have taken a long time before our daughter went to theatre but we don't see this as a negative. Her stitches looked neat which were so important given its on her face. The doctor even checked up on us the following morning, it was their day off!

The Harlyn team were so helpful and caring we were made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble.

We thank you all for making an awful situation very much bearable. Credit where credit is due.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 19 October 2017

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 20 October 2017

Dear Susan
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a positive review of Royal Cornwall Hospital; I am sorry you had cause to use our services whilst you were on holiday but I am so pleased to hear that your baby daughter received such fantastic care and that you were listened too and kept involved throughout. I will ensure that your feedback and thanks is passed to all of the teams that looked after your daughter throughout her stay.
Thank you again and I do hope that your daughter is healing well and you were able to enjoy the rest of your holiday.
With kind regards
Michaela Brewer, Patient Experience Coordinator

Anonymous gave at Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Fiona dawes

This ward can only deal with one out of 6 beds .no food if you can not eat bread. Barriatric patients only have a limited selection of food i had 4crckers to eat i was s hungry i kept asking for food but it fell o deaf ears .at lunch time the potion size was 6 fork s per plate .where is the going too.try the saff room its not on the ward ,patients should be left on a addmision ward for more than one night no one gets any sleep so how can you recver.i had a patient neXt to me who was very ill she could not ring the bell she asked me to do it for her every time i was ill my self but did this for the smell each time was terrible and help was too late ariving .i hated being ill on this ward.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 17 September 2017

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 20 October 2017

Dear Anonymous
Thank you for taking the time to post such valuable feedback, I am so sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience on a ward at Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust. Unfortunately you have not stated which ward you were admitted too so I am unable to pass your comments on for them to investigate.
We would like to look into this particular event for you; if you would be happy for us to do so or if there are any other concerns we can help to resolve for you, please contact our Patient and Family Experience Team on 01872 252793 or e-mail rcht.patientexperience@nhs.net.
I am sorry again for your distressing experience and I hope that we will be able to look into this further for you.
Michaela Brewer, Patient Experience Coordinator

Anonymous gave at Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 4 stars

Fantastic centre and facilities,

I was referred to the Mermaid Centre by my GP and although it was a 'non urgent' referral I quickly received an appointment within 2 weeks which was fantastic. When I arrived the staff were very friendly and welcoming, and my consultant was fantastic, explaining everything in detail and basically very reassuring. I was sent for an ultrasound and unfortunately at this point this is when the level of care I received changed. The sonographer was very abrupt with me the moment I walked through the door, the sonographer explained that they were only scanning me as the consultant had requested this and that usually they wouldn't perform an ultrasound unless something had been found, i.e. A lump (I'd had breast pain for months, hadn't found a lump, my GP wanted to rule out BC). The sonographer very specifically told me that they would only be scanning one section of my breast and no more (the area where the consultant thought they could feel some irregularities). The sonographer very sternly told me to remove my top and lie down. Basically I was made to feel like I was an inconvenience. The sonographer in fact found a small cyst on my breast and it was at this point they informed me that they would scan my whole breast to double check further. Luckily there was just the one cyst and this could be causing my breast pain. As anyone will know, having to attend such an appointment is a frightening experience & I left feeling upset at the way I had been treated by the sonographer and for this reason it has made me wary about having to revisit again if I needed to.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 12 June 2017

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 27 June 2017

Dear Anonymous
I am sorry that you had a poor experience when you recently attended the Royal Cornwall Hospital for a breast scan. I was concerned about the issues that you raised and passed your comments to the Imaging and Service Leads for Cornwall Breast Screening. They are keen to look into your concerns and if you feel this is something you are able to do, please can you contact one of our PALS/Complaints Advisors who can support you in raising a concern/making a complaint.
PALS Office phone number: 01872 252793 SMS text number: 07800006479 Email: rcht.patientexperience@nhs.net In the meantime, the Mermaid Centre Sub-Directorate will raise with the team the issues you have raised. I understand that you are upset by your experience and hope that any investigation will help to address your concerns and resolve any apprehensions you may have about visiting our service again. We really are grateful to you for taking the time to get in touch and giving us the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Julie Hughes, Patient and Family Experience Coordinator

Kara reviewed at Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust

A life saved

I have just had my follow up review and feel so grateful to have this professional and caring team on my side. I had a tumour removed one year ago. My symptoms were caught and dealt with quickly and efficiently I really believe my life has been saved by the actions of this team. Yes the neccessary treatment is not easy to undergo but being treated with respect, professionalism and humanity has made it all the more tolerable. This is the NHS at its finest and how fortunate we are to have this service accessible to those who need it.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 04 April 2017

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 07 April 2017

It's always a boost to receive such positive feedback, we'll make sure it's passed on the team. Thank you!

Sarah Miller gave at Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

The Mermaid Centre

I found a lump on my breast a week before christmas, saw the GP immediately and they advised I waited to see if the lump resolved with the onset of my period(that had been delayed). The first day after the christmas break my GP phoned and when I said the lump was still there they referred me to the The Mermaid Centre at Treliske. Only 24 hours later I had a phone call from The Mermaid Centre bookings person to see if I could fill a cancellation at 3p.m that day! I was so anxious and terrified of what the lump was, i just got in the car and drove an hour and half to Truro not knowing what to expect. From the moment I got to the Mermaid centre, friendly, warm faces greeted me, the waiting room was full of anxious looking women like myself and I instantly knew i was in safe hands. Within 5 minutes I had a mammogram, within an hour I had a needle-guided ultrasound and aspiration with a wonderful radiologist who instantly put my mind at rest, telling me it was a benign cyst. It was folllowed by a repeat mammogram to check cyst had gone and then I was seen by a consultant for a physical examination and further explanation. I can't put into words how my world turned full circle in those few hours, but I am so grateful to the wonderful service provided by The Mermaid Centre. I realise that not every woman is so lucky as I was but so impressed by the efficiency of the services provided in Cornwall for Breast Care i felt compelled to write this review as i had only been reading reviews a few minutes befroe I had my phone call to come. I hope anyone who's waiting for screening at this clinic take great hope from this review - your in great hands, have faith and be guided by the staff they genuinely care.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 30 December 2016

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 4 stars

Fantastic speedy service!

Presented at WCH urgent care centre with shortness of breath and a wheeze. I was blown away by how good the service was at the urgent care centre, the nursing and medical staff were amazing and took the opportunity to explain every step of my treatment. I was then transferred from WCH to A&E via ambulance and was seen quickly in Treliske despite it being a busy department. Luckily after a few days in hospital I'm back home, but could not fault the treatment I received at the urgent care centre

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 20 September 2016

Laura Mason, Communications Manager, Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 21 September 2016

Always great to have such positive feedback. We will make sure your comments are shared with the teams at West Cornwall and Royal Cornwall hospitals.

Anonymous reviewed Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust

Filthy a&e reception .. 7 and 1/2 hour wait to see doctor

Presented a&e at 2:00 am with daughter in acute abdomen pain. Filthy reception area with blood on floor, plastic bottles and coffee cups strewn around and spilt beverage everywhere; a large volume of fluid being all along the back wall under a row of chairs. Presented to receptionist eating a biscuit ignoring us while staring at pc for couple of mins and when challenged irritably stated ' I am booking ambulances' well sorry for not knowing your systems but my daughter is in agony and I was very keen to get her seen asap. A simple 'be with you in a minute' maybe ??? However triaged quickly and nursing staff all very kind and approachable. Tried to control her pain but we had to wait til 09:30 am before we saw a doctor. Discharged at midday with pain relief and antibiotics for ?Infection/muscle spasm. Had to get daughter in wheelchair to get her into car as in extreme pain still. Forced to represent to ucc wch at 21;00 same night as pain was agonising and the treatment received could not compare .. Spotless areas, warm receptionist, seen quickly by doctor who was communicative and reassuring, urgent ct arranged , pain managed incredibly well all within 2 hours.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 19 July 2016

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 25 July 2016

We are sorry for the inconsistencies experienced when your daughter recently attended our hospitals. Needless to say, we would wish every attendance to meet the high standards of care you did acknowledge in some aspects of her treatment, particularly so at West Cornwall Hospital. We will make sure your comments are passed onto the teams concerned. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Anonymous gave at Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Very good - lovely nurses!

I was in the ward for monitoring due to severe pain whilst being treated for an eptopic pregnancy. / I was taken to the assessment room and unfortunately was there for about ann hour before I was seen with no pain relief, and that is my only criticism. / the person who admitted me and junior doctor who followed were both very kind. / I can't stress how wonderful the nurses on the ward were. The doctors were lovely too, although they both said different things about aftercare and one tried to give me a drug that is on the banned list for the methotrexate I was treated with as it can cause bleeding of the stomach, but luckily a nurse had told me previously that I can't have it so I said so and the doctor soon corrected themselves. / even the person who gives out the food was lovely. /. I felt so well cared for and once in my bed they were careful to manage my pain. /. I cannot express how great the team were and how much of a comfort that was to me. Thank you all

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 30 October 2016

Royal Cornwall Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 31 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your care. We are unable to respond to individual questions online but if you can contact us directly we will be happy discuss your care further. Please email pals.rcht@nhs.net