Marie Stopes International

0345 300 3740 1 Conway Street , London, W1T 6LP

CK gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 3 stars

“Chaotic” central Birmingham

My wife and I had our prebooked appointment for a termination cancelled at 21.00 the night before we were due to visit the central Birmingham clinic on 9/10/18. The explanation was that “things have been chaotic”

We were offered an alternative appointment two days later at a clinic about 110miles away. Given work commitments and arrangements with clients of our own, this was impractical and unachievable.

Disappointed was not quite the feeling....

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 09 October 2018

Marie Stopes International replied on 16 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback which will be passed on to the clinic managers. I can assure you that we are constantly finding new ways to keep cancellations to a minimum. Sometimes situations are out of our control and I am sincerely sorry that this impacted on your care.

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 1 stars

Unprofessional Service... Animals are treated better

I am referring to the Edgbaston Clinic in Birmingham when I say I was absolutely appalled by some of the members of staff and how they made me feel even worse than I already did having to go through something like this.
Upon arrival it seemed the receptionist was in training which ok I understand everybody has to learn at some point but the way all of your personal information is shouted so that the whole waiting room can hear really annoyed me this is all meant to be confidential and I felt that this receptionist could have been more sutble and sympathetic it wasn’t just a one off it was on three occasions.

My appointment was at 10am I didn’t actually get seen until 2pm? Don’t understand the point of being given an appointment in the first place not only did I have to travel 45 minutes get here.

One of the nurses in the theatre itself was extremly rude, and unsympathetic, her job may be to do this every five minutes but I felt ashamed to be here at this point and wish I could of ran out of there with the paper towel just covering me afterwards another nurse in the room compensated for her colleague and was very nice and put me at ease whilst the anesthetist began to put me to sleep.

When I came round in the day recovery room the nurses here were all lovely and reassuring but over all my experience here was traumatic and I wish I’d of continued with my pregnancy

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 15 October 2018

Marie Stopes International replied on 16 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. At MSI we take pride in providing all clients with the highest quality of service and care. I apologise that on this occasion that we failed to meet with your expectations however, please be assured that your comments will be forwarded to the management team. I am very sorry for any distress caused to you and if you feel you wish to discuss this please contact us on our 24 hour helpline 0845 300 8090

Marie Stopes Brixton

When I booked my appointment at the clinic I was very worried as I had quite a bad experience at bpas Streatham , however when I got to this clinic I was amazed bye the support from the staff , I was hoping for a medical abortion but i was to many weeks so I had to have a surgical abortion I was so scared when it come to the day of the abortion to take place I couldn’t thank the staff enough for the kind and caring nauture even in theatre the nurse was amazing rubbing my hand ect this made me feel a whole lot better thankyou

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 03 October 2018

Marie Stopes International replied on 05 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. It’s very important to us to know our client’s opinions and we are currently focusing on this aspect of our services. Your information will be reassuring for anyone in the same situation. Your comments will be passed on to the team and I’m sure this will be a boost to morale. We wish you all the very best from Marie Stopes UK.

KRK gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 5 stars

Surgical termination at 7 weeks.

I attended the Marie stokes clinic in Maidstone and chose to have a surgical termination at 7 weeks pregnant. I had heard some pretty horrendous things about the medical/pill form so decided to undergo a surgical termination with light sedation.

From the get go everything was explained to me fully, and the procedure, although very upsetting mentally, was dealt with in a very kind and professional manner from all the doctors and nurses involved. I really can’t thank them all enough, I was very well looked after, and in no way judged.

If anyone who reads this is uncertain about which route to go down with a termination, then I really do recommend the surgical one. I had minimal bleeding after and the pain was manageable with paracetamol. Although I was in such early stages, I really didn’t want to have to deal with basically “giving birth” to anything at home and I can only imagine that the medical/pill form of the procedure would have been a pretty horrendous memory to have of the whole thing.

If you chose the light sedation you don’t remember a thing. So much easier to deal with in my case I felt.

I did underestimate the recovery time, again if you’re reading this you really do need to rest for 1-2 weeks after - watching tv, reading, minimal effort for day to day stuff. This really will let your body recover much more efficiently.

I basically just tried to carry on doing what I was always doing and I just prolonged my recovery and felt twice as bad!

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 12 September 2018

Marie Stopes International replied on 08 October 2018

Thank you so much for such positive feedback. At MSI we take pride in providing all clients with the highest quality of care and it's good to know you received this in Maidstone. I will ensure this is escalated to the team and I know it will be very much appreciated. Please remember we are there for you even after treatment and our helpline is open 24/7 on 0845 300 8090.

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 4 stars

Very pleased

I recently visited Marie stopes and I was very nervous. I had read the reviews on the Marie’s stopes website and it is obviously that they aren’t all positive, so I was worried I would not have a pleasant experience. I choose to write this review so I could help others feel a little more comfortable knowing they will be in a safe environment.
I visited the Marie stopes clinic in edgbaston, Birmingham.
All the staff were very kind and caring. I had a surgical abortion and I was very scared as I have never had an operation or even been to hospital before in my life so I did not know what to expect. The nurses were all so lovely and took great care of me. I am very grateful for their support and their kindness. I would recommend this service to anyone in need.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 29 September 2018

Marie Stopes International replied on 08 October 2018

Surgical abortion 19 weeks

I had my surgical termination at MS with a 19 weeks pregnancy. I'd like to share my experience because once the decision is taken the next steps are just gathering all the confidence and calm possible. It is important to know that the whole procedure can be something not that horrible and with no bigger complications. It's essential to highlight that for every woman is a particular experience.

I had my medical exam on a Tuesday morning by phone and the treatment was schedule for Wednesday of the next week. I was at the clinic at 8am because my treatment would be divided in two parts, D&E. They were clear and nice on the medical assessment, scan, on the talk with a nurse about the procedure and signing for the consent on the medication to dilate the cervix. I came back to the first floor just to pay the treatment.

After changing clothes, I was called to the theatre room the first time, where a cannulla for the anesthesia was put on the back of my hand and the med was introduced into my cervix (neck of the womb), probably this is the most unpleasant part of the whole process (on my situation) because you’re still awake and afraid but it’s still totally manageable. There’s a lovely nurse always holding your hand, talking to you, distracting and supporting you.

Honestly I think the nurses were lovely to me but also systematic, the clinic has every step premeditated. Still every time I thought I'd need more time and support I just tried to think about other women that were desperate to have their treatment asap and understood that the clinic has a methodical system to assist everyone who needs it.

After the medication is introduced you feel uncomfortable but it comes more from the act of introducing it than the effect of the med itself. Obviously, you feel something, weak legs and sensibility, but on my case I didn’t feel strong cramps. Every women is different. After that I just tried to relax myself with activities in the nursing room. You’re being checked all the time, pressure and temperature.

I was waiting for 3 hours in the nursing room before the treatment, while the medication was doing its effect. At the theatre room for the second time it was just about laying down and you’re asleep in two minutes when the anesthesia is inserted. After waking up I was lead to a second nursing room, recover and talk about any doubts with the nurses, the recovery, contraceptives and recommendations. You’re checked again and they give you water, tea and crackers.

Every step of the procedure and recovery will depend only on your own case. I felt nauseous after 40 minutes I woke up but soon it left. Normal and controllable cramps in the same day and next that I relieved with a heat pad, but on the third day I can really say I didn’t feel pain anymore but what gave the most pain it was after the 4th day of the treatment when I started to feel terrible breast tenderness because my body understood I had a birth, my breast was double size and very sore.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 05 July 2018

Marie Stopes International replied on 05 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to give such positive feedback. At MSI we take pride in providing all clients with the highest quality of service and care and feedback such as yours tells us we are getting it right. I am sure your comments will be most helpful to others who might find themselves in the same situation. We wish you all the very best from MSI.

Lucy gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 1 stars

Let you wait for hours

They called me 3 hours prior my appointment to come
as soon as possible for my appointment. I have rushed in and than they let me wait for 2 hours! When I went to ask to the reception I have been told I am next one and than I waited again ages and other girls went in. It's terrible feeling to sit there and wait and wait and wait... nobody told you anything or explain why they let you wait for so long! I would never come back if I would have a choice!

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 12 July 2018

Marie Stopes International replied on 13 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and although you don’t name the clinic I will ensure the senior management team are made aware of your comments. We are constantly striving to keep waiting times to a minimum, however sometimes situations are out of our control. I’m sorry and disappointed that you were not kept informed as this is a very important part of the service. If you feel you wish to discuss this further, please contact us on our 24-hour helpline 0845 300 8090

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 4 stars

Medical and Surgical Review

I have just had surgical termination at the Buckhurst Hill clinic. Just wanted to thank the staff their for all their kindness and compassion, in a very difficult situation. I had the medical termination originally but it didn’t work and had to return for surgery. Inbetween consultations I had to attend the clinic off Tottenham Court Road for scanning. I have to say I found the staff there very rude and unprofessional. Love Island seemed more important than the waiting clients in the reception area. Complete parallel opposite to your team at the Essex clinic.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 18 July 2018

Marie Stopes International replied on 09 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to give such a lovely feedback for the Essex Clinic. I will forward to the manager and team in the clinic. It’s good for team morale to know that their hard work is appreciated. I can only apologise that this was not repeated in Central London but your feedback will be sent to their management team the same. I am sure your comments will be most helpful to others who might find themselves in the same situation. We wish you all the very best from MSI

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 2 stars

Very bad timing management

I’ve been to Marie Stopes in Brixton for the termination of a pregnancy. I had first a consultation on one day and the surgery by sedation a week later.
The day of the consultation although the nurse was very nice, she asked me to wait after in the waiting room. We waited for 2 hours, then askeda woman at the reception if it was normal or if I misunderstood; the woman confirmed I had to wait. We waited one more hour and I could see all girls who have arrived after me leaving one after the other. So I asked again reception and the woman finally made a phone call and realized I didn’t have to wait, I just needed to take appointment for the surgery!
The day of surgery they asked me to come earlier than my appointment timing which was 11:25. We arrived at 10:30.... and waited until 13:00 to meet the nurse! Once I met her she mentioned that I could say goodbye to my partner, tell him to come back in 1h, and asked me to wait (again) in another room. After 30mn, she came and told me that the medical team was going on a lunch break for 15-30mn!!!
This is crazy... I don’t mind waiting a bit but this is unrespectful especially because me and the other girls haven’t eaten since yesterday evening so it’s difficult to wait that long. Also they should know that there will be a lunch break and plan the appointments accordingly!!
It’s now 14:00 and I’m still waiting...

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 27 July 2018

Marie Stopes International replied on 09 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. At MSI we take pride in providing all clients with the highest quality of service and care. The waiting times are something we try to avoid but this is not always possible. I sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed to meet expectations however, please be assured that your comments will be forwarded to the management team. Your feedback is taken very seriously as it helps to make improvements in the services we offer.

Very lovely professional staff

I would like to thank the staff at Marie Stopes. Termination isn't a nice procedure for anyone to go through, but I must say the compassion and care shown from the staff has made my experience a little more bearable. Very quick service, I called up and was given an appointment the following week. I went to the Guildford clinic, I do not remember the ladies name as my mind was elsewhere but she was very kind, understanding and genuine. Thank you.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 05 June 2018

Marie Stopes International replied on 08 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and we really appreciate your support. The Early Medical Units such as the one you attended, are Nurse Led outreach clinics enabling women to seek treatment closer to their home or who otherwise may not be able to attend a main centre. Your comments are very positive and will help to reassure others in your situation. With best wishes from all at MSI.