Marie Stopes International

0345 300 3740 1 Conway Street , London, W1T 6LP

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 1 stars

Cancelled appointment last minute by text message

I had my apppintmwnt cancelled last minute by text message!!! They operated and cancelled my appointment like it was a nail salon. They deal with extremely vulnerable woman in need and to called appointment by text message is unacceptable and unprofessional. I mentally prepared all week for the appointment, my bag packed, time off work and transport organised. I called back extremely upset and the only answer they would give was they will call when another appointment comes up. They are no supportive, professional or reliable. I would recommend BPAS instead. I called BPAS afterwards crying and they were so helpful, understanding and shocked at what happened to me. Please do yourself a favour and more somewhere reliable like BPAS at this very important and sad time as you do not need extra stress.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 19 March 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 10 April 2019

Thank you very much for getting in touch. I’m sorry to hear you had difficulty arranging a suitable appointment. Our team at One Call work had to meet the individual needs of each client and unfortunately sometimes they are unable to. I will make sure your feedback is passed on to the appropriate team. Thank you once again for getting in touch and I really do apologies for any inconvenience.

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 4 stars

Moderate

I visited the Brixton Marie Stopes clinic - I didn’t like how open and non-discreet it was, it’s on the main road and there’s a bustop right outside, so those on a double decker bus could see you walking in due to the obvious Marie Stopes sign outside... also there’s a lot of people at the bustop so walking past them was quite uncomfortable as it was obvious what I was doing.

My appointment was for 1.30pm, I didn’t get seen until 2.45pm.. an extremely long wait for having come so far (1hr 15min Drive)

When I was seen I was greeted by a lovely nurse, she asked me so many questions about myself, offered to give me a chlamydia, gonorrhoea, HIV & syphillis test and I accepted all, I got the results for the HIV & syphilis within minutes as she was able to test them straight away which was great. She also offered me different forms of contraception eg. The injection, pills or implant and said I could get them done/given on the same day, which was also very helpful. She then proceeded to do my scan to check if a baby was actually there, the baby was there and I was 7 weeks and 3 days. She then told me to wait outside and someone will call me shortly.

I waited for all of 2 minutes and was called by another nurse who was very warm and welcoming. She had a lot of banter and helped me feel at ease throughout the process, she did make it a point to ask me twice if I am sure this is what I want to do and I said it was. She gave me the option of having the complete medical abortion on the same day which is 98% effective, the two-day medical abortion (meaning to take 2 tablets on one day and come back the next day for the other two) or to wait a couple more weeks to have the surgical one. I opted to have the same day medical abortion as I just wanted to get the procedure out the way.

Before actually giving me the abortion tables she gave me 4 antibiotics to prevent any form of infection after the procedure, 2 paracetamol, 1 antisickness and 2 ibuprofen. She then gave me a big pill which was the actual abortion pill and 4 powdery hexagon shaped pills which I had to insert in my vagina myself and let them dissolve there. She then provided me with a pad and two pregnancy tests to take later in the weeks to make sure I am no longer pregnant and that if I was I must call back.

I left feeling okay.. I was out of there around 3.30pm and home by 5pm and the moment I walked through the door I felt a gush of blood come out. It was like it was almost instant abortion.

I kept shaking allot but I think it was due to the amount of tablets I took in one go. My body is not used to that amount of tables in general, I never take paracetamol when I’m ill I just stick the pain out so I think that was a huge shock to my body as to why it reacted that way.

I was heavy bleeding for about 24 hours and since then I’ve been very light, using thinner pads and it feels like a normal period.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 06 February 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 27 February 2019

Thank you very much for taking the time to give such informative feedback, I will make sure this is forwarded on to our team. Everyone here at Marie Stopes UK is dedicated to our clients and we all work hard to provide high-quality care, however I'm sorry you had protestors at your visit. Your comments will be really helpful for other people who are thinking about accessing, or preparing for, our services, so thank you for that. Please remember, if you have any queries we’re always available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0345 300 8090.

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care made me feel at ease.

I visited the Marie stopes clinic in Brixton,
I have been so impressed with my care,
It was a hard a scary time for me and my husband and we felt we were in good hands.
Everyone made us feel reassured kepted us well informed.
The nurses were brilliant.
When I called up the helpline to ask question someone called me back within 10minute of the call I had made.
Just made our decision so much easier.
Thank you Marie stopes.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 13 February 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 01 March 2019

Thank you very much for taking the time to give such lovely feedback, I will make sure this is forwarded on to our team. Everyone here at Marie Stopes UK is dedicated to our clients and we all work hard to provide high-quality care, so I’m glad you felt you had the best possible experience. Your comments will be really helpful for other people who are thinking about accessing, or preparing for, our services, so thank you for that. Please remember, if you have any queries we’re always available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0345 300 8090

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 4 stars

I had a good experience

I visited Marie Stopes, Lewisham for a medical abortion and had a relatively positive experience.
The woman who dealt with me was nice although slightly more formal than I would have liked, I didn’t mind.
I did however almost faint on my way to empty my bladder during my appointment and came back in whilst I waited to feel normal/better. I told her I feel dizzy and about to pass out (this was from fasting for my appointment, I think as I hadn’t had my tablets yet)
She got me some water and continued with her paperwork and although I wasn’t expecting a cuddle or anything, a bit more reassurance would’ve been nice as I was panicking about fainting and was slightly scared anyway.
Apart from this though, I would say I had a good experience and would recommend lmarie stopes lewisham as long as you don’t mind it being a very formal experience

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 02 January 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 05 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and we really appreciate your support. The Early Medical Units such as the one you attended, are Nurse led outreach clinics enabling women to seek treatment closer to their home or who otherwise may not be able to access the main centres. Your comments will help to reassure others in your situation and we wish you all the best from Marie Stopes UK

Surgical abortion under sedation

On arriving at the clinic for my first initial preassessment I was made to feel so at ease by all the staff. Sitting in the waiting room to be seen is very daunting as you know everyone is there for the same reason as you! Once the nurse called my name I went through and the procedure was explained to me and any questions I had were answered in great detail I also explained how I didn’t want to know my gestation and all the nurses were made aware of that by letting each other know! My appointment was then booked in for two days later! When the day came I was in pieces second guessing if I was doing the right thing and questioning if I should go ahead but the fear started to take over about what would be happening to me! After arriving at 2pm for my appointment I was in the first waiting room when the nurse called me through! She could tell how scared I was about the whole experience and she again answered all my questions and helped to calm me down she explained the sedation process to me and that I wouldn’t feel anything as I’d be asleep and soon woken up once I was in the recovery area! She explained how long it takes and then I was shown through to the next waiting area were I would then be called in for the procedure! Sat in the last waiting room was the worst part for me knowing I would be called in at any point to go through something so hard and the tears started to flow! My name was called and a nurse took me to the area to be changed and explained who she was again I told her how petrified I was off the sedation and asked all the same questions would I be ok? Would I wake up? Will it hurt me? How will I feel from the sedation? It all sounds so silly but to me my anxiety was sky high and it really did worry me as I’ve had 2 children already and couldn’t even have gas and air it scared me that much any kind of drugs! Into the room I went were the doctor nurses and anaesthetic nurse introduced themselves! They could again see the fear and reassured me! I was then sat on the bed and the nurse holding my hand was asking me questions about my daily life and children the other doctor fitting the canula in my arm and inserting the sedation! I remember looking at the clock it was 4:15pm and the nurse said you’ll be asleep and with that I was gone fast asleep the next thing I remember was been woken by 2 nurses at the recovery room! I was given a heat pack and laid into a lounger til I came round a little more! I looked at the clock and it was 4:30 I couldn’t believe it them 15 minutes seemed like forever I couldn’t remember a thing and had no pain apart from slight cramping which was sorted with paracetamol straight away! I was on my way home by 5:15pm! I couldn’t fault any of the process and i felt so at ease by all the staff nobody looked down at me or made me feel like I was disgusting for doing what I was! We all have our reasons and they understand that! I would recommend Marie stopes to anyone in my situation and can’t thank them enough

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 21 January 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 05 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to give such a lovely feedback. Although you don’t name the clinic it’s good to know that our hardworking teams are appreciated. At MSI we take pride in providing all clients with the highest quality of service and care. I am sure your comments will be most helpful to others who might find themselves in the same situation. We wish you all the very best from Marie Stopes UK.

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 2 stars

Cancelled appointments

I initially called Marie Stopes as soon as I found out I was pregnant which was at around 4 weeks. I was given an appointment the following day for the telephone consultation only to be scheduled on to another consultation 2 weeks later. Then I had my scan, found out I was 6 weeks pregnant and got scheduled for a surgical treatment 2 weeks later. After those frustrating 2 weeks have passed, I receive a call and I’m told that my appointment is being cancelled due to staff sickness. They tried to put me on the next week’s available slot but I could not attend as I already had my holidays planned. I ended up in an extremely stressful situation as I was almost 11 weeks pregnant and I had to go to a private hospital and get the termination done as the more the pregnancy was developing, the more risks I was being exposed to. All in all, I felt extremely frustrated by the entire situation because there was literally no other solution available for me than to pay £700 to terminate my pregnancy urgently or to wait and expose myself to greater risks. 2 out of 3 doctors I have seen after the Marie Stopes experience refused to do the abortion explaining that any abortion after 10 weeks carries a lot more risks and they were not willing to take them.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 16 January 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 05 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback which will be passed on to the clinic managers. I can assure you that we are constantly finding new ways to keep cancellations to a minimum. Sometimes situations are out of our control and I am sincerely sorry that this impacted on your care. If you feel you wish to discuss this further, please contact us on our 24-hour helpline 0845 300 8090

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 3 stars

Aftercare rubbish

I was suffering so bad with morning sickness, diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum, was really poorly. At 7 weeks I decided to have a surgical termination. Everything was great, staff really lovely. But aftercare absolutely rubbish it’s like they don’t want to know. After 6 weeks still had positive pregnancy tests, called to tell them. They called me Saturday morning to offer appointment in 2 hours time I couldn’t go cause work. Then had really bad stomach pains, ended up going to hospital. And still after 2 weeks not been offered a appointment, when I spoke to them they basically said I refused a appointment which is untrue. I’m now in agony with my stomach and I believe it’s down to the depo injection I had. Or could be something else but they aren’t bothered. Absolutely let down by the aftercare. After feeling regret with what I’ve done also, then having painful stomach ache and don’t know what’s happening thought they would care.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 02 February 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 05 February 2019

Thank you for your feedback and I am sincerely sorry you have had such difficulty in obtaining an appointment. Our team at One Call do their utmost to find clients the most suitable appointment, however sometimes the sheer demand makes this very difficult. I will send this to the One Call Managers today and if you feel further discussion will help you can contact us on our 24-hour helpline 0845 300 8090

Natasha Eastbury gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 1 stars

Complaint of Visit

I first attended your clinic in Edgbaston on Monday 31st December, my appointment was booked for 8.25am. When I got there I was surprised that my boyfriend was shown to a different waiting room to me even though I was told over the phone that he would be able to sit with me apart from within treatment areas - which we could completely understand.
I was seen first by a nurse and everything felt fine - I was sent back to the waiting room and was told to wait to see another nurse to have my treatment, please note I was advised and detailed on my notes that I would be receiving a same day medical abortion treatment. I had waited from around 9am (after initial assessment) until around 11/11.30 am (no one updated me with what was happening and my boyfriend was not allowed anywhere near me, which is extremely distressing in this situation). The nurse who initially saw me came over to me and asked me why I was still waiting and advised her I had not been seen, she then looked into the reason why and advised me and apologised, swiftly after I was seen by the next nurse. This nurse was extremely supportive and apologetic when she advised I could not receive same day treatment and would need to revisit the clinic on 2nd January for the second part of treatment - she was extremely annoyed hat I had been advised differently over the phone by your call centre department. As I came out of the clinic my boyfriend advised me that on several occasions he had asked the receptionist what was happening and why he couldn't sit and wait with me - the response he received from the receptionist was "this has nothing to do with you" - something I find extremely unprofessional as the situation and our joint decision has everything to do with him and I find it disgusting that this is how relatives/friends/partners are treated and spoken to - and treated like complete outcasts!!!!!
When I returned on the 2nd we were again separated and I waited for around an hour to see a nurse. When I entered the room to complete my treatment the nurse wasn't particularly accommodating - there was another person in attendance within the room and I was not advised of who she was and what she was doing there. I was advised by the nurse to place 4 tablets between my upper lip and gums - as I placed them she said to me "that's not how I told you to do it", when someone is taking medication for the purpose I was this is not how I expect to be spoken to - as you can imagine I was distressed and extremely upset so struggled to follow instructions, especially with how quick they expect you in and out of the treatment room, almost like you're on a conveyor belt.
As I was about to leave the room the nurse asked me whether I needed advise with contraception, as I declined, she responded 'make sure you're more careful, we do not want to see you again' and laughed. This was extremely upsetting for me, I conceived when I was just recovering from a kidney infection and stomach issues and I am i

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 07 January 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 05 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. It’s very important to us to know our client’s opinions and we are currently focusing on this aspect of care. At MSI we take pride in providing all clients with the highest quality of service and care and I am sincerely sorry that your experience was so poor. I will feed this back to the management of the centre and who will address this with the team. If you feel you wish to discuss your concerns further please contact our 24 hour helpline on 0345 300 8090

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 1 stars

Apalling!!!! ** zero stars if that was an option**

I booked my appointment 3 weeks in advance when i was estimated 6 weeks into pregnancy for medical abortion i thought everything was sorted until i turned up to sandwell to find out my appointment had been cancelled due to staff illness (why dont you have cover staff!) 4 days earlier, no contact via email nor post (with consent), no other appointment was made with the 2 of my nearest clinics just a sorry but you will have to have a surgical abortion instead in birmingham after new year, even though could quite possibly fit me in to a closer clinic knowing i can have a medical abortion still with a week to spare, seeing as they cancelled on me after 3 weeks of appointment being booked, also which might i add birmingham is 2 hours away from me rather than the 10 mins to sandwell or 5 minutes to wolverhampton and also marie stopes is the only one in my area to hold an NHS contract for abortion options so cant even book with anyone else even if i wanted too!!! Absolutely appalled by this service as still nothing has been sorted for me, yes the call centres are friendly enough but thats about it....

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 19 December 2018

Marie Stopes International replied on 05 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. It’s very important to us to know our client’s opinions and we are currently focusing on this aspect of care. At MSI we take pride in providing all clients with the highest quality of service and care and I am sincerely sorry that your experience was so poor. I will feed this back to the management of the centre and who will address this with the team. I also apologise for the time taken to respond to you. If you feel you wish to discuss your concerns further please contact our 24 hour helpline on 0345 300 8090

Amazing

Had an appointment with the clinic in london ealing. Absolutely amazing service from start to finish. I felt like my needs were put first and all the nurses were non biast which made it even better. I am so thankful for the service i recieved as it is not offered in my country.
Forever grateful for the services that Marie Stopes offers. Highly reccomend.
Big thanks to all the nurses that helped me today. X

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 19 December 2018

Marie Stopes International replied on 05 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write your appreciation to the website. I will forward to the manager and team in the clinic as it is good know that their hard work is appreciated. At MSI we take pride in providing all clients with the highest quality of service and care. Great feedback is the best way to let people know we are getting it right. I am sure your comments will be most helpful to others who might find themselves in the same situation. We wish you all the very best from Marie Stopes UK.