Marie Stopes International

0345 300 3740 1 Conway Street , London, W1T 6LP

Amazing treatment at the Buckhurst Hill Clinic

I had a Medical Abortion at the Buckhurst Hill, Essex clinic. On arrival the receptionist was polite and welcoming. I then waited within the waiting area and was seen 10 minutes after my appointment time which is very reasonable. My nurse was extremely caring, sympathetic and thorough with what was going on. I had a pin prick blood test, scan and was given my tablet (I took one orally and inserted 4 internally). When I got home one of the tablets fell out but at this time I was already bleeding, called the helpline and they told me this was fine. 4 days later I was passing very large strange blood clots, I called again and within 10 minutes a nurse called me back we went through various questions and she told me it should be fine, she then called me back 2 hours later to check that everything was okay. I am only a week after having my abortion but wanted to comment on the excellent staff at Marie stopes on the call centres and within the clinic. They have made a very traumatic experience a lot easier.

Visited in July 2019. Posted on 15 July 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 22 July 2019

Thank you very much for taking the time to give such lovely feedback, I will make sure this is forwarded on to our team. Everyone here at Marie Stopes UK is dedicated to our clients and we all work hard to provide high-quality care, so I’m glad you felt you had the best possible experience. Your comments will be really helpful for other people who are thinking about accessing, or preparing for, our services, so thank you for that. Please remember, if you have any queries we’re always available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0345 300 8090.

Vishwa gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 5 stars

Being referred to NHS hospital after consultation

After finding out that my wife is pregnant with gestation period 9 weeks, we tried hard to get an appointment with Marie Stopes. Finaly got a consultation appointment 10 days after making first contact. On the day of consultation, my wife was told that pregnancy is 10 weeks 5 days and that they cannot perform the treatment at their clinic. We were devastated to hear this. She has not been given any convincing reply. Legally the procedure can be performed upto 26th week. We were told that we will be referred to NHS hospital. We are clueless as to why this is being done. We are very worried when we will be getting our next appointment date and how to get in touch with right authorities. The call center is helpful in answering the call, but unable to clarify our doubts. There is a lot of turmoil going on and the uncertainty is increasing it all the more. I always thought things would move quickly at this stage of pregnancy. All I request is to push our case with urgency as it will get difficult from here on with each passing day. If there is any other process to make things move fast it will be appreciated if we are made aware of it. My earnest request to guide us with the way forward.

Visited in July 2019. Posted on 21 July 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 22 July 2019

Thank you very much for getting in touch. I’m sorry to hear you had difficulty arranging a suitable appointment. Unfortunately you don't say which clinic you visited or any details, however our team at One Call work had to meet the individual needs of each client and unfortunately sometimes they are unable to. I will make sure your feedback is passed on to the appropriate team. Thank you once again for getting in touch and I really do apologies for any inconvenience. For help with this problem please contact us on 0345 300 8090 24/7 and ask to speak to a manager.

Lovely nurses!

I attended the Birmingham clinic last week and I have to say after readying some of the reviews I was abit nervous but all the staff was fantastic so sympathetic and just generally lovely people all my worries went. Thankyou

Visited in June 2019. Posted on 01 July 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 07 August 2019

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 1 stars

1 star because 0 wasn't an option

Outside looked dirty and unkept. The waiting room was full of screaming children who were running around and making a mess where ever possible (despite all paperwork saying no children allowed). Finally went in an hour late (my appointment was 12:45 and didn't get called until nearly 2) just to be told my boyfriend wasn't allowed with me despite me asking him to be there multiple times. When I entered the room the paper covering on the bed was clearly dirty and I refused to sit on it until it had been changed. The nurse was uninterested and short with me throughout giving one word answers and not looking at me at all. When I tried to look at the screen of my scan she told me I wasn't allowed and to lie back down. After coming back from the toilet she handed me printouts of the scan for me to keep if I wanted (why would anyone want to keep this?!) I binned them. She handed me the paperwork to sign which I read through thoroughly and found multiple mistakes. For instance, the paperwork stated that the nurse would be inserting the tablets which was incorrect. It also stated that I would be having a half dose on the day and going back for the second which wasn't an option I was given. After refusing to sign the incorrect paperwork the nurse corrected it in pen and signed next to the corrections. She then gave me 4 tablets and told me to insert them myself behind a curtain. The space behind the curtain was so small it barely was big enough for the chair in there. When I came out she told me I'd have to wait an hour before I left (to ensure the tablets didn't fall out etc). I went back into the waiting room to wait with my boyfriend and within 5 minutes of waiting she told me to leave. Since leaving I have been in hospital through A&E 3 times in 2 months due to multiple infections and complications (one of which the doctor put down to the unclean conditions of the space). In my opinion the nurse had an issue with abortions and should not be working in a clinic that offers them. It has taken me over 3 months to get a negative pregnancy test and finally be discharged.

Visited in April 2019. Posted on 28 June 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 08 July 2019

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and although you don’t name the clinic I will ensure the senior management team are made aware of your comments. At MSI we take pride in providing all clients with the highest quality of service and care. I apologise that on this occasion that we failed to meet with your expectation If you feel you wish to discuss this further, please contact us on our 24-hour helpline 0845 300 8090

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 1 stars

Cancelled appointment last minute by text message

I had my apppintmwnt cancelled last minute by text message!!! They operated and cancelled my appointment like it was a nail salon. They deal with extremely vulnerable woman in need and to called appointment by text message is unacceptable and unprofessional. I mentally prepared all week for the appointment, my bag packed, time off work and transport organised. I called back extremely upset and the only answer they would give was they will call when another appointment comes up. They are no supportive, professional or reliable. I would recommend BPAS instead. I called BPAS afterwards crying and they were so helpful, understanding and shocked at what happened to me. Please do yourself a favour and more somewhere reliable like BPAS at this very important and sad time as you do not need extra stress.

Visited in March 2019. Posted on 19 March 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 10 April 2019

Thank you very much for getting in touch. I’m sorry to hear you had difficulty arranging a suitable appointment. Our team at One Call work had to meet the individual needs of each client and unfortunately sometimes they are unable to. I will make sure your feedback is passed on to the appropriate team. Thank you once again for getting in touch and I really do apologies for any inconvenience.

Amazing

I am so grateful for being able to use this service. I wouldn’t do it again but only if necessary. The staff was amazing and made me feel at ease. I felt so comfortable. Honestly the women who I saw, each one, was brilliant. I was so worried that I wouldn’t be seen as I was late, but they did. I have nothing negative to say. I’m so pleased. Thank you again. Keep it up, you make us feel better. X

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 23 March 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 03 May 2019

Thank you and we are all very grateful to be appreciated. You haven't put the clinic so I can't pass it on to them, however your feedback is great and most welcome. Best wishes from all at MSUK.

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 4 stars

Moderate

I visited the Brixton Marie Stopes clinic - I didn’t like how open and non-discreet it was, it’s on the main road and there’s a bustop right outside, so those on a double decker bus could see you walking in due to the obvious Marie Stopes sign outside... also there’s a lot of people at the bustop so walking past them was quite uncomfortable as it was obvious what I was doing.

My appointment was for 1.30pm, I didn’t get seen until 2.45pm.. an extremely long wait for having come so far (1hr 15min Drive)

When I was seen I was greeted by a lovely nurse, she asked me so many questions about myself, offered to give me a chlamydia, gonorrhoea, HIV & syphillis test and I accepted all, I got the results for the HIV & syphilis within minutes as she was able to test them straight away which was great. She also offered me different forms of contraception eg. The injection, pills or implant and said I could get them done/given on the same day, which was also very helpful. She then proceeded to do my scan to check if a baby was actually there, the baby was there and I was 7 weeks and 3 days. She then told me to wait outside and someone will call me shortly.

I waited for all of 2 minutes and was called by another nurse who was very warm and welcoming. She had a lot of banter and helped me feel at ease throughout the process, she did make it a point to ask me twice if I am sure this is what I want to do and I said it was. She gave me the option of having the complete medical abortion on the same day which is 98% effective, the two-day medical abortion (meaning to take 2 tablets on one day and come back the next day for the other two) or to wait a couple more weeks to have the surgical one. I opted to have the same day medical abortion as I just wanted to get the procedure out the way.

Before actually giving me the abortion tables she gave me 4 antibiotics to prevent any form of infection after the procedure, 2 paracetamol, 1 antisickness and 2 ibuprofen. She then gave me a big pill which was the actual abortion pill and 4 powdery hexagon shaped pills which I had to insert in my vagina myself and let them dissolve there. She then provided me with a pad and two pregnancy tests to take later in the weeks to make sure I am no longer pregnant and that if I was I must call back.

I left feeling okay.. I was out of there around 3.30pm and home by 5pm and the moment I walked through the door I felt a gush of blood come out. It was like it was almost instant abortion.

I kept shaking allot but I think it was due to the amount of tablets I took in one go. My body is not used to that amount of tables in general, I never take paracetamol when I’m ill I just stick the pain out so I think that was a huge shock to my body as to why it reacted that way.

I was heavy bleeding for about 24 hours and since then I’ve been very light, using thinner pads and it feels like a normal period.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 06 February 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 27 February 2019

Thank you very much for taking the time to give such informative feedback, I will make sure this is forwarded on to our team. Everyone here at Marie Stopes UK is dedicated to our clients and we all work hard to provide high-quality care, however I'm sorry you had protestors at your visit. Your comments will be really helpful for other people who are thinking about accessing, or preparing for, our services, so thank you for that. Please remember, if you have any queries we’re always available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0345 300 8090.

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care made me feel at ease.

I visited the Marie stopes clinic in Brixton,
I have been so impressed with my care,
It was a hard a scary time for me and my husband and we felt we were in good hands.
Everyone made us feel reassured kepted us well informed.
The nurses were brilliant.
When I called up the helpline to ask question someone called me back within 10minute of the call I had made.
Just made our decision so much easier.
Thank you Marie stopes.

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 13 February 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 01 March 2019

Surgical abortion under sedation

On arriving at the clinic for my first initial preassessment I was made to feel so at ease by all the staff. Sitting in the waiting room to be seen is very daunting as you know everyone is there for the same reason as you! Once the nurse called my name I went through and the procedure was explained to me and any questions I had were answered in great detail I also explained how I didn’t want to know my gestation and all the nurses were made aware of that by letting each other know! My appointment was then booked in for two days later! When the day came I was in pieces second guessing if I was doing the right thing and questioning if I should go ahead but the fear started to take over about what would be happening to me! After arriving at 2pm for my appointment I was in the first waiting room when the nurse called me through! She could tell how scared I was about the whole experience and she again answered all my questions and helped to calm me down she explained the sedation process to me and that I wouldn’t feel anything as I’d be asleep and soon woken up once I was in the recovery area! She explained how long it takes and then I was shown through to the next waiting area were I would then be called in for the procedure! Sat in the last waiting room was the worst part for me knowing I would be called in at any point to go through something so hard and the tears started to flow! My name was called and a nurse took me to the area to be changed and explained who she was again I told her how petrified I was off the sedation and asked all the same questions would I be ok? Would I wake up? Will it hurt me? How will I feel from the sedation? It all sounds so silly but to me my anxiety was sky high and it really did worry me as I’ve had 2 children already and couldn’t even have gas and air it scared me that much any kind of drugs! Into the room I went were the doctor nurses and anaesthetic nurse introduced themselves! They could again see the fear and reassured me! I was then sat on the bed and the nurse holding my hand was asking me questions about my daily life and children the other doctor fitting the canula in my arm and inserting the sedation! I remember looking at the clock it was 4:15pm and the nurse said you’ll be asleep and with that I was gone fast asleep the next thing I remember was been woken by 2 nurses at the recovery room! I was given a heat pack and laid into a lounger til I came round a little more! I looked at the clock and it was 4:30 I couldn’t believe it them 15 minutes seemed like forever I couldn’t remember a thing and had no pain apart from slight cramping which was sorted with paracetamol straight away! I was on my way home by 5:15pm! I couldn’t fault any of the process and i felt so at ease by all the staff nobody looked down at me or made me feel like I was disgusting for doing what I was! We all have our reasons and they understand that! I would recommend Marie stopes to anyone in my situation and can’t thank them enough

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 21 January 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 05 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to give such a lovely feedback. Although you don’t name the clinic it’s good to know that our hardworking teams are appreciated. At MSI we take pride in providing all clients with the highest quality of service and care. I am sure your comments will be most helpful to others who might find themselves in the same situation. We wish you all the very best from Marie Stopes UK.

Anonymous gave Marie Stopes International a rating of 4 stars

I had a good experience

I visited Marie Stopes, Lewisham for a medical abortion and had a relatively positive experience.
The woman who dealt with me was nice although slightly more formal than I would have liked, I didn’t mind.
I did however almost faint on my way to empty my bladder during my appointment and came back in whilst I waited to feel normal/better. I told her I feel dizzy and about to pass out (this was from fasting for my appointment, I think as I hadn’t had my tablets yet)
She got me some water and continued with her paperwork and although I wasn’t expecting a cuddle or anything, a bit more reassurance would’ve been nice as I was panicking about fainting and was slightly scared anyway.
Apart from this though, I would say I had a good experience and would recommend lmarie stopes lewisham as long as you don’t mind it being a very formal experience

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 02 January 2019

Marie Stopes International replied on 05 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and we really appreciate your support. The Early Medical Units such as the one you attended, are Nurse led outreach clinics enabling women to seek treatment closer to their home or who otherwise may not be able to access the main centres. Your comments will help to reassure others in your situation and we wish you all the best from Marie Stopes UK