Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

01702 435555 Prittlewell Chase , Westcliff On Sea, Essex, SS0 0RY

Alan dack gave Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

I visited the reception of the Orthopaedic clinic to rearrange an appointment date . I would like to thank the staff member on reception for the kind and understanding way they dealt with the problem . just feel that a thank you was called for .

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 19 September 2017

Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 September 2017

Thank you for your post, it is great to hear such positive comments.
Please be assured this has been shared with the staff within Orthopaedic clinic.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Patient Experience Team

Sharon gave Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Day stay unit

I would like to give a very big thank you to the staff on the day stay unit. Today I had spinal injections via epidural and local anaesthetic, I couldn't have sedation as I had eaten breakfast, while feeling very disappointed about the sedation (my letter said I could eat and drink) I can't fault the theatre staff they were very kind and sympathetic and talked me through the procedure as it happened. The theatre nurse was brilliant, they talked to me the whole time which took my mind off the bit of pain I felt. The nursing staff were also very kind and took great care of me. Well done everyone you are all worth your weight in gold.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 28 September 2017

Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 October 2017

Dear Sharon

Thank you for your post, it is great to hear such positive comments.
Please be assured this has been shared with the staff within the department.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

Patient Experience Team

Anonymous gave Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Poor communicatio

My father was a patient on Benfleet Ward last December. There was a lack of communication between staff and myself. I only found out by accident that he was going to be sent home with a care package without discussing with either my Mother or myself being aware. Fortunately I was able to stop this and arrange care myself which was more appropriate
I have brought my father for two outpatients recently both which have been a waste of time for a frail elderly man and no doubt could have been better used by someone else. The Doctor from the Dept of Medicine for the elderly was only interested in sin referring to social services and was not very factual in their letter to my fathers GP. The second appt in the Heart and Chest Clinic was not needed although the Dr and the staff were very pleasant
I would suggest a case management approach to frail people making sure that appointments are really necessary and coordinated rather than sending out loads of appointments. Like most people I need to work, my father cannot bring himself to hospital and needs someone with him they cannot attend alone.
A record with relevant information could be made avoiding the need to give the same information re the social details again and again

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 18 October 2017

Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Zoe gave Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

DVT Clinic

I was seen within 24 hrs of being referred by my GP. What a great department the DVT Clinic is. I was seen quickly the staff were very welcoming and did not rush me. I was seen scanned and had my results within an hour. An excellent resource.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 26 July 2017

Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 July 2017

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your post - it is great to hear so many positive comments throughout your entire experience.
Please be assured your comments will be sent to all departments listed above.

Wishing you well for the future.

Patient Experience Team

Anonymous gave Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Patient discharge process

Although my 92 year old aunt received good treatment during her time in the Windsor ward the way she was discharged left a lot to be desired. Although on my visit on Thursday I was informed that she would be undergoing further tests and likely to be sent home after the weekend. However, I received a phone call last night at 6.00pm to say she was being sent home to where she lives alone. Expecting her to arrive within an hour I waited at her address. At 10.00pm I received a call saying she was being sent home in a taxi with no medical support but they would be a wheelchair as she has mobility problems. The taxi eventually arrived at 11.30 minus the wheelchair. Why on earth an elderly lady was released on a cold night with her disabilities beggars belief. Surely due to the late hour it could have waited until morning. Absolutely appalling treatment of an elderly lady.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 06 May 2017

Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 June 2017

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your post.

Firstly, it is great to hear positive comments to the treatment received on Windsor ward, please be assured the comments will be shared with the ward.

We are sorry to hear the comments relating to discharge, we are aware of issues regarding discharge and apologise for this.
Unfortunately without personal identifiable information I am unable to look into this particular case but ensure your comments will be passed to the Discharge Team.

Again, apologies for the distress caused.

Patient Engagement Team

Impossible to get appointment for urgent examination

I am disgusted at the inability of the eye unit to respond to repeated requests for an appointment which a doctor had told my husband was urgent and should take place within 4 weeks, with an absolute maximum of six weeks. The maximum deadline has now been reached and there is no sign of an appointment., nobody has bothered to ring back in spite of messages having been left and promises such as "we will print your details and someone will get back to you." Requests to speak to the management team, or to a doctor, have been met with blunt refusal. We feel so very badly let down. My husband, who had a heart attack just 6 years ago, is so distraught about the possibility of irreversible damage to his sight that he cannot sleep at night. We cannot even get through to the PALS team - just the same old thing "please leave a message." A formal complaint will be lodged.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 21 June 2017

Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 June 2017

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are sorry to hear of the issues you are having being unable to contact Ophthalmology - please can we assure you that if you leave a message with our Pals Team they will get back to you, if the call goes to answerphone this would mean the team are either on another call or have a visitor.

Our pals team have relocated and are near the Macmillan Centre within main Outpatients.
Their contact is 01702 385333 and the email is pals@southend.nhs.uk

Please be reassured this will be dealt with via our pals team and again, apologies you have been unable to reach either department.

Patient Engagement Team

LouisNikola gave Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Mobile Glaucoma Unit

Today I visited your Mobile Eye Unit and found it a harrowing experience. I am 78 years old and walk with a stick. I usually avoid stairs at all costs because of the pain they cause me to negotiate and I cannot be alone in this. This department which, by the very nature of its purpose, is largely catering for older people, can only be entered via a metal staircase, open to the elements and with large gaps between each step. It was uncomfortable enough getting in but coming out was nothing short of terrifying because I had been given drops which affected my vision and in the bright sunlight I could not see where I was putting my feet. Surely this would never pass any health and safety tests? Is it to be a permanent arrangement?

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 09 March 2017

Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 March 2017

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your post and we are sorry to hear of the issues you have encountered within this unit.
Please be assured your comments will be sent onto the relevant team for them to look at these comments.
Patient feedback is extremely important we assure you these will be reviewed.

Unfortunately without personable identifiable information via NHS choices we are unable to look at specific issues but please email pet@southend.nhs.uk and we can respond to your specific questions.

Thank you for your feedback which as above, we will pass onto the relevant management.

Wishing you well for the future.

Gill Hawkins reviewed Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Hospital stay and discharge

I attended Southend University Hospital with the intention to have a knee replacement. I arrived about 0730 on 22nd March. Greeted and dealt with by the staff in the reception lounge. Seen by my surgeon who explained thoroughly what to expect. The anaesthetist was next and I again was dealt with by way of professionalism and courtesy. Thereby the operation. Once again amazing theatre staff. Recovery room superb. Back to Shopland ward. Lucky to have a side room. There was not one person there that I wish to criticize in any way. People doing more menial tasks, tea ladies and men, nurses doctors physios. All pat yourselves on the back! I was discharged from the ward on 24th March. I felt so sorry for the people in the discharge lounge. They were inundated but never failed in their task to get you out as soon as possible. Just watching points and listening there I did feel that a lot of the delay in my actual leaving of the hospital (about 5/6 hours) was in the pharmacy. I only needed one box of pills and I could have left but it took an extraordinarily long time to receive this. Maybe that could be an area to look at to expedite discharge. That was and is my only negative during the whole process. Many thanks for doing a great job in the ace I'd adverse press!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 26 March 2017

Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 March 2017

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your post with compliments for various departments which have been passed onto the said areas.
We appreciate patient feedback and are always looking at making changes as a result of this so please be assured these will be taken forward.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Patient Involvement Team

Anonymous gave Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Helpful and calming

We've had some on and off experiences with Southend as a family. However, with my daughter's care the Paediatric department has been amazing. They're always interactive and manage to calm two very anxious first time parents. They talk to her about her own care, even at 1.5yrs old. It's nice to see her being interacted with and respected. Would suggest them to any family or friends, especially for the Maternity and Paediatric departments.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 10 January 2017

Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 January 2017

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your comments relating to our Paediatric department - it is great to hear such positive feedback.
Please be assured this will be sent to the department to be shared with staff.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Bdwebb did not recommend Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Phlebotomy service

The phlebotomist, who took.my blood on the 28th december wore nail varnish and did not clean their hands by either using a sanitiser or washing them. I know this because they asked me to enter the room whilst they went to the reception area. On the desk was a list of patient's names. When they returned they just put gloves on. During the procedure, they kept their foot on the bin for clinical waste, so it was open right next to me throughout the procedure. This was unpleasant due to the smell of rubbish. They discarded all the non clinical waste as well as clinical into it. The experience made me feel unsafe and disappointed that they were wasting resource funds by filling clinical waste with packaging waste.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 28 December 2016

Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 29 December 2016

We apologise that you have experienced a dissatisfactory service. The description of our phlebotomist (Pall Mall Surgery) does not fit the description given by yourself, she does not wear, and never wears nail polish on her hands. There is a phlebotomist that works on the ground floor. Could it be that service that you have used. Could you kindly contact the surgery, asking for either myself, the Assistant Practice Manager or the Practice Manager, to discuss this further. Thanking you.