Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust

01803 614567 Hengrave House, Torbay Hospital, Newton Road , Torquay, Devon, TQ2 7AA

Terry Carnell gave Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

'Thank you for being there"

I had a need to visit A&E at Torbay Hospital for a suspected broken rib.
Whilst being in considerable pain 'All' the staff at A&E were kind, considerate and efficient.
Many thanks to the 'team' from Reception, Nurses, Doctors, Xray & Porters for being there to help me.
I feel proud that we have such a facility here in Torbay.

best wishes,

Terry Carnell

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 01 September 2017

Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 September 2017

Thank you for your kind comments.
We are really pleased that the care and treatment you received reached the high standards we constantly strive to achieve.

Anonymous gave Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

Moaning

I was in hospital with bad pains back in early June I was told by the medical team on the ward that they wanted to op in two weeks as they did not want th pain to come back as it was made me a quick appointment with the consultant who said they will do the op as soon as they hear my lungs are ok due to a privous illness was given the all but still waiting I don't want to push in but when they say something and dont follow it up I know I am not the only one in pain but I feel it is not on

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 03 August 2017

Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 August 2017

Dear Patient,
If you are happy to talk to us about this, please contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) so they can look into your situation in more detail.
A PALS Officer is available in person, Monday to Friday, between 09.00am and 4.00pm. You can contact them by calling 01803 655838 or on our 24 hour freephone number 0800 02 82 037. If you get through to the voicemail service please leave your contact details and you will receive a call back within two working days. PALS can also be contacted by Text Phone on 01803 654742, or via email to tsdft.feedback@nhs.net your email will go direct to our PALS Service).
We look forward to hearing from you so that we can address the issues you have raised.
Patient Services Support Officer
Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust

Anonymous gave at Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 3 stars

Opthalmology department

I visited this department recently to have further retina screening.The person who did the eye drops and the photographer were very friendly and professional. The reception staff however were appalling. Miserable, curt and unfriendly. A couple of people missed the sign asking you to wait until called forward, they were told off and talked down to as if they were naughty children. Then the 3 people behind the desk all tucked into biscuits which they crunched on with relish. One of the three then swigged out of a coke can. Is this acceptable?

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 06 February 2017

Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 February 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for taking the time to comment.
It is always good to receive feedback; we try to ensure we share examples of good practice and also that we learn from any negative experiences.

Anonymous gave Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

total failure in communication

My elderly mother was admitted to Torbay Hospital recently following a fall. Due to the total failure of staff to properly ascertain her next of kin she spent a week there before anyone she knew found out where she was. This was despite her requesting several times that staff contact people for her. When I finally found out where she was I rang and gave ward staff my number. They failed to notify me when she was discharged to a rest home although they were quite happy to assume that a friend of mine who was visiting was her next of kin and pass on the details. I ended up relying on messages through Facebook to find out my mother's movements from the hospital to the first rest home and from the first rest home to a second. It also appears that they did not even get in touch with the local contact that they asked my mother to provide (I do not live locally).
I am totally disgusted that the negligence of the Hospital to gain the relevant details meant that my mother spent an entire week isolated and lonely on the ward.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 18 February 2017

Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 February 2017

Dear Enquirer,
A PALS Officer is available in person, Monday to Friday, between 10.00am and 4.00pm. You can contact them by calling 01803 655838 or on our 24 hour freephone number 0800 02 82 037. If you get through to the voicemail service please leave your contact details and you will receive a call back within two working days. PALS can also be contacted by Text Phone on 01803 654742, or via email to pals.sdhc@nhs.net (your email will go direct to our PALS Service).
Patient Services Support Officer

Anonymous gave Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

Caring and hard working

My 83 year old Mother had a fall in August and was taken to A&E at this hospital. She had broken her left arm, badly cut her nose and had nasty cuts on her arm and legs. She told me that she was very impressed with all the staff who treated her. She felt the staff managed to be caring and were hard working in a very busy environment.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 12 October 2016

Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Nikki Sullivan gave Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Respiratory team, heart & lung unit.

I have nothing but praise for the staff at the heart and lung unit. I have monthly appointments to see the nurses there for treatment of my asthma. I feel so supported by the nurses throughout my illness. They are always kind, caring and supportive and having that regular contact helps me to worry less when I have flair ups in my condition. My consultant is always very approachable, professional and supportive. I am very lucky that I have my treatment planned and administered by staff who really go beyond what is expected of them. Working in a busy hospital where good nurses and medical staff are under constant stresses and pressure, the heart & lung team are a credit to the hospital. The ward clerks are always very friendly too.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 27 July 2016

Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Diabetic Medicine at Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Top Rate

I was extremely anxious about having my cystoscopy after being referred under the 2 week wait system for cancer which was worrying. I am not the best patient and had worked myself up. I was met by a lovely nurse. I was reassured and they held my hand at times. They were so kind and compassionate which is what its all about. The surgeon was friendly and very approachable, they also put me at ease, answering all my questions and taking the time to explain things to me. I could not have asked for better care. The procedure was completed with the utmost care and as much dignity as the test allowed. First class Urology.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 03 June 2016

Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 June 2016

Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust

Richard Putt gave Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Hospital Appointment

I had an appointment at Dermatology today 16/05/16 at 10:15 a.m , and was met by the two clinicians [ or Doctors ] who were to remove a skin cancer. From the moment I met them , they put me at ease, explained everything that they were going to do, and made me feel thoroughly comfortable.

The surgery was carried out with no discomfort to me, and after completion , after care was explained in a very professional way.

My thanks to these two people , they conducted the whole operation with such consideration and pleasantness.

True professionals who give the NHS Torbay such a good name. Please can you pass on my heartfelt thanks to them.
Yours

Richard Putt

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 16 May 2016

Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 June 2016

Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust

Wendy Harrison gave Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Care of my terminally ill Mum.

Over the last eighteen months, my Mum has been in and out of hospital. She has visited many wards, has been taken in by ambulance and dealt with in outpatient departments. We knew she was not a well lady, but the care she has received has been excellent. Her last visit started with her doctor calling an ambulance as she was very poorly. She was taken to Cheetham Hill Ward, where the care given was unbelievable. After two weeks we were expecting her home, but unfortunately it wasn't to be. She took a turn for the worse and we soon realised that she was not going to pull through this time. The care shown to her and us in the last few days of her life was absolutely fantastic. The staff were very busy, but nothing was too much trouble. She was given first class treatment all the way. A member or two of the family was always with her for the last few days and it enabled us to see how wonderful all the staff were. Every patient was treated with respect, an amazing amount of patience and each and every one of them was shown care, consideration and almost love by all the staff. It really made me realize how special our NHS staff are, from the cleaners, food servers, healthcare assistants, nurses and doctors everyone was amazing. I just want to say a big thank you for making a very sad time so much easier to bear.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 10 May 2016

Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 May 2016

Dear Enquirer
We are delighted to read your encouraging comments.
Staff appreciate hearing about patients’ positive experiences and your feedback will be shared with those concerned.

Anonymous gave Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Time it takes for an operation

I had an appointment with my consultant ion January 21st 2016, and was told at the time that there would be a 12- 14 week waiting time before my operation would take place.

It's now 14th June (5 months down the line) and if l had not contacted the department to inquire as to when my operation was occurring, i would be none the wiser. I've been 'reliably' informed that it "might be sometime in August", which quite frankly is not good enough. ;

l have made arrangements for my holidays early September, and may now have to cancel them due to this lack of communication and lack of updates from the hospital. .

l don't usually choose to complain, but this is quite frankly not good enough.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 14 June 2016

Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 June 2016

Dear Patient,
We are very sorry to hear about your experience and that the standard of your care fell below that which we strive to provide. We would like the opportunity to discuss your experience with you and try our best to resolve it.
A PALS Officer is available in person, Monday to Friday, between 10.00am and 2.00pm. You can contact them by calling 01803 655838 or on our 24 hour freephone number 0800 02 82 037. If you get through to the voicemail service please leave your contact details and you will receive a call back within two working days. PALS can also be contacted by Text Phone on 01803 654742, by FAX on 01803 617162, or via email to pals.sdhc@nhs.net (your email will go direct to our PALS Service).