Isle Of Wight NHS Trust

01983 822099 St Mary's Hospital, Parkhurst Road , Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 5TG

Audrey Gray reviewed Isle Of Wight NHS Trust

Emergency care for orthopaedic emergency, as a day visitor.

From the moment the ambulance arrived on Saturday 12.30pm until discharge Wed before lunch, I received professional caring service with speed and courtesy. A pleasant surprise given recent publicity and the fact that I was a day visitor.
Care on the ward was good and staff worked well together creating a happy atmosphere, well done Luccombe Ward. Good hot food and an excellent cup of really hot tea, thank you.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 01 August 2017

Isle Of Wight NHS Trust replied on 01 August 2017

Thank you so much for posting this valuable feedback which I have shared with the teams; I am pleased to read that you were treated by professional and caring staff, and you had a positive experience of care on Luccombe ward. I do hope you have recovered well following your stay with us.

Very impressed

My father was taken by ambulance into hospital he received very caring attention from all the staff then sent to MAU they looked after him nothing was too much trouble Dad has dementia so he was not an easy patient .The training staff fed him got him up to take him to toilet .A big Thankyou to everyone Dads now back in his care home .

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 07 May 2017

Isle Of Wight NHS Trust replied on 09 May 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this valuable positive feedback, which I have shared with the relevant teams. I am pleased to read that your father had a positive experience of our care, and that he is now back at home.

Friendly and efficient

I recently attended St Mary's for the first time, and albeit there was a waiting time in the department, it was surprising how efficiently the staff 'got through' the patients, and I have to comment there was a smile and friendly manner from every member of staff I had contact with, without exception, even a passing porter who could see my wife was having mobility issues asked if she needed assistance. Thank you for making this experience as comfortable and stress free as was possible.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 21 April 2017

Isle Of Wight NHS Trust replied on 21 April 2017

Thank you so much for providing this positive feedback, and I am pleased to read that your first experience was a pleasant and positive one. I will ensure your comments are shared with the portering team, and I hope should the need arise for you to visit the Trust again, that you will receive the same efficient and friendly service.

Anonymous gave Isle Of Wight NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Phone calls not being answered

I would give this service zero stars if it was available, I am utterly disgusted with the number of times important calls have gone unanswered to this service, and all I get if I do manage to get through is there are not enough a staff (well deal with this). further more my mother waiting over two weeks for important diagnostic tests that they simply cant be bothered to carry out. She has been admitted into this service repeatedly over the last 11 months 8 times without effective treatment.

I am bringing this case to the attention of the care quality commission.

St Mary's Hospital
NHS Trust
Isle Of Wight

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 17 February 2017

Isle Of Wight NHS Trust replied on 21 February 2017

I was disappointed to read that you have had a poor service from the Trust; unfortunately without further information the Trust is unable to comment further on the issues raised. We would welcome the opportunity to look into these concerns in person, if you have not already done so I would urge you to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 534850 in the first instance, and they can put you in contact with senior staff who may be able to assist and resolve these issues.

GP feedback - appointments cancelled

staff that do not care cancel appointments at a drop of a hat giving unbelievable excuses I had the best one today we did not know the consultant was away. my appointment has now been cancelled 3 time now and I am classed as urgent

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 14 December 2016

Isle Of Wight NHS Trust replied on 15 December 2016

I am really sorry to read of your appointment being cancelled 3 times; in order for us to investigate this we would need more information. If you have not already contacted the Trust, please speak to the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 534850, and they can put you in touch with a senior manager to discuss this situation.

The Breast Clinic at St Mary's

I recently attended the clinic for a routine mammogram and was very alarmed when I had a phone call to return for an investigation I had numerous mammograms and biopsies because there was a change since my last screening as I have had breast cancer in the past it was a worry to say the least the treatment I received was professional and sensitive everyone in the team which I met were wonderful efficient and extremely caring fortunately all tests came back benign but it could have been a different story Thankyou for the good news and for being so thorough you have a great team on the Isle of Wight just wanted to say Thankyou you do us proud

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 29 September 2016

Isle Of Wight NHS Trust replied on 18 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post this valuable feedback on our services. This must have been an extremely worrying time for you, and I am glad that you received professional and sensitive care during this stressful time.

I was pleased to read that the outcome of your tests was positive, and I wish you well for the future

Accuracy of Records - not held together as single database

I have had a very lengthy correspondence with Isle of Wight NHS Trust in respect of my medical records. It all started in 2012 when I requested my medical records as I had had a lot of treatment and wanted to have a copy for myself. What shocked me was that it was by no means all present and correct. I have repeatedly requested this data but been withheld it.
One of the excuses was that some of it was from Orchard Hospital, a private hospital, and that they were not allowed to provide it to me. I said but the ICO states that when a business has closed down, as was the case about Orchard Hospital, then in such circumstances there can be a case made for patients to be provided the data that is being processed by the Trust. But it got nowhere and to the best of my knowledge nobody has considered it on my behalf.
Things got worse when I was hospitalised in 2015 and I explained that the Isle of Wight NHS Trust did hold significant medical data of mine which I wished to be brought out of the archives so that the consultant and Ward Round could see what in fact I had been treated for both at Orchard Hospital and at St Mary's Hospital including orthopaedic assessments and MRI scans.
But nothing was done or so it would appear.
The Junior doctors were very good and listened to my case history as best as I could remember but I explained that it was very complex in nature and was a multi-disciplinary issue and that I was incapacitated and disabled under the WHO guidelines.
This seems to have got lost in translation though.
So where are all my records including the blood tests taken on 27 July 2015 by the doctor as the 2 "tickets" were produced to me in MAAU that same day in the afternoon but when I entered Whippingham Ward the Administrator bellowed at me where did you get those from?, in front of a crowd of staff at the Nursing Station. I quivered and replied calmly as I could "They are mine - I have just been given them". The Administrator insisted that I must hand them over but other staff saw that I had justification on my side and allowed me to make a telephone call on their nurses' station telephone to speak with someone I trusted to explain what had happened and to record what I had discovered on those 2 Tickets. After the phone call I handed over the 2 Tickets.
20 months and several requests later and now I will never get this record for according to person in autumn 2016 they had been to Pathology and all my tests tallied and therefore the Trust would not spend any further time looking for it.
I find this reprehensible. Why should I not be given the details of a medical test that was held, controlled and processed by IW NHS Trust? What is going on here? PHSO is now investigating my concerns about medical records in total. My GP practice has been very supportive of me and I have every confidence in Beech Grove Surgery.
HIOW STP - how will IW CCG and IW NHS Trust be able to deliver their vision if they cannot protect all our medical records?

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 26 February 2017

Isle Of Wight NHS Trust has not yet replied.