Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

0121 466 6000 Trust Headquarters, 3, Priestley Wharf, Holt Street , Birmingham, West Midlands, B7 4BN

Anonymous gave Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Dental Hospital

I would like to thank the staff for their wonderful care today when I attended restorative 1 for my surgery. They were very professional, reassuring and kind.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 11 April 2017

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 April 2017

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback which has been passed to the team working in Restorative 1 Clinic at Birmingham Dental Hospital. I hope you are making a good recovery following your dental surgery.

Best wishes

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

markhurley gave at Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Disgusted

Been refused a wheel chair as i only use it 4 times a week what a joke ill crawl to my gp and hospital appointment's then shall i.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 22 March 2017

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 March 2017

Dear Mr Hurley

I am sorry you have not been provided with a wheelchair as you had expected. At present the Birmingham Wheelchair Service is commissioned to provide a service for people who have a medical condition which affects their ability to walk in the home or outdoors, who are also registered with a Birmingham GP, who require a wheelchair for more than 6 months and for at least 5 times a week for an hour or more at a time.

Without more information to allow me to look into your specific situation it is not possible to respond directly to your feedback; however it is likely that the clinical assessment identified that you do not meet the criteria as defined by the commissioners of the service and therefore you have not been provided with a wheelchair. You will have been provided with information about ways to obtain a wheelchair privately, and hope that you find this useful.

If you would like to meet with a manager from the wheelchair service to look into your concerns and to answer your questions please do get in touch by calling me on 0121 466 7128 or email Alison.last@bhamcommunity.nhs.uk and I will be happy to arrange a meeting.

I look forward to hearing from you

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

AC gave Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Diabetes Education Course - Very Poor Customer Service

I was nominated by my surgery to attend a Diabetes Course organised by BCH and a date for my attendance was arranged for the 11th January at the Cottage Hospital in Sutton Coldfield.
I did have a previous important appointment for that day but cancelled it because I felt that this was more important and I arrived at the hospital in good time only to be informed that it had been cancelled because of a "water leak".
I asked why I could not have been notified by either phone, mobile or email and was told that they did not know.

As I was not happy with this situation I emailed BCH and this is a diary of my responses:

11th January - Emailed enquiry and automatic response received indicating a reply within 1 day.
19th January - No reply received so I sent additional email.
19th January - Reply received indicating original email not received.
19th January - I replied questioning this as their system had sent an automatic reply.
19th January - Apology received it had gone into the deleted folder. This was accompanied by a number of questions that they required answers.
19th January - Email received asking if I wanted reply by email or phone? Enquiry sent to Diabetes Team.
20th January - Email received confirming query sent to Diabetes Team and waiting for a reply.
31st January - Emailed and asked if they were able to reply?
31st January - Reply that Team Leader was on sick leave but will get a reply on the 1st February.

Poor customer service like this does not give you any real confidence in the service that they offer if they can't answer a very simple question in a timely manner.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 01 February 2017

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 February 2017

Dear AC

I am sorry to read of your disappointing experience, and having spoken to the Diabetes Specialist Nurse and Service Lead for the service who wishes to sincerely apologise for the breakdown in communication with you. I would also like to add my own apologies for the absence of any contact with you today; which we had said would happen. I will email you directly rather than through this website with a more detailed apology and explanation, and to arrange for you to speak directly with the manager or consultant.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Yours sincerely

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Anonymous gave Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Not so caring nursing staff

First of all let me tell you about my dad. He is a 78 year disabled man who doesn't walk and doesn't use a wheelchair. 2 weeks ago he lost his wife and i lost my mom who was also under the care of Birmingham community nursing so the nursing staff would have known this. Anyway he ordered some Cavilon cream because he has a long term catheter and the nursing staff said they would bring him some. Days later they did but just threw it inside the porch door. How the hell was my dad supposed to get the cream if nobody had gone to the house, talk about uncaring down right disgrace. So in essence would i recommend the nursing team no i wouldnt, which is a shame as i work for the NHS myself !!!!!!

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 07 December 2016

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 December 2016

May I offer my sincere condolences to you and to your Dad for the recent loss of your Mom. This must be a very difficult time, and I am very sorry to read of how the Cavalon cream was not delivered in a way that your Dad could get to it in order to use it. I would welcome the chance to look into this further, and ask that you phone me on 0121 466 7128 or email Alison.last@bhamcommunity.nhs.uk at your earliest opportunity to tell me more details. It is very important that we look into this, so please do get in touch.

I look forward to hearing from you

Gerard S. reviewed Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Praise for continence service

I thought I would post to say how helpful I have found the continence service & how it has made a big difference to my life over the last two years - excellent and knowledgeable continence advisors who are always friendly, helpful and efficient. Thank you so much.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 18 February 2017

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 February 2017

Dear Gerard S

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback about the continence service of Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, and I am pleased to read of the positive difference they have made to your life. I have forwarded the message to the manager of the continence service to share with the team.

Bham Communiity Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Lin gave Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

Dietician Support for Eating Disorders

I visited the dietician today at Summerfield Urgent Care centre. It was a good appointment and I liked the clinician I saw who was professional and friendly. I felt they understood the issues I am experiencing and helped me set some realistic targets to help me to take control and change in order to overcome my issues with anorexic thinking and avoid further weight loss which wouldn't be a good thing.

I would recommend this service.

To improve the service I feel it would be good to give patients, myself included, a sheet to record the advice they/we are given in consultation so that they/we can remember what was advised and be more organised, especially as you can feel tired and woozy with these types of issues and may forget things which are useful suggestions.

A pleasant and dignified professional who clearly had experience.
Compassion-focused and well grounded insight into eating disorders and how they function.

Positive and gratefully received care.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 25 April 2016

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 April 2016

Dear Lin

Thank you for getting in touch to tell us of your experience of the dietetic service at the Summerfield Urgent Care Centre. As we have several different teams working at the centre, I would be grateful if you could get in touch to let me know the name of the dietitian you saw so that they can be given your feedback. I can be contacted on 0121 466 7128 or email alison.last@bhamcommunity.nhs.uk

Your comments about how the service could be made even better will be forwarded to the manager responsible for dietetic services who can work with the team to develop ways to support patients to have information available to them after they have visited the clinic.

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Anonymous gave Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

District nurses Birmingham

I am very disappointed at this service. I have had a surgery and the hospital told me to get an appointment with a practical nurse in my GP for a check up and dressing. They told me there are no nurses qualified and they gave me a number to call a district nurse to my flat. So I did. They told me if I don't get a phone call by 4 pm i should give them a call again and they will chase a nurse up for me. Nobody turned up or called me, so I called them again at 4 pm. They told me to wait for the phone call, somebody, who is on her/his way to mine, will call me back. It is 3 days later and I am still waiting for a call back. My health is important for me, specially when it is a serious thing like having a surgery.So I just decided to go to my doctor for a check up. Cause this service was useless for me.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 09 November 2015

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 November 2015

I am so sorry to read of your disappointing experience, and ask you to please contact the Customer Service Team on 0800 917 2855 to assist with booking your appointment with the District Nursing Team. I would also like the opportunity to look into the specific difficulties you experienced, and to ensure that messages are responded to - to do this, I would need to know your details. Please could you call me to discuss your experience on 0121 466 7128 or email alison.last@bhamcommunity.nhs.uk

Thank you for your feedback. All feedback can help us to improve our services to patients.

Yours sincerely

Birmingham Community Healthcare Trust

David Close reviewed Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Compassion and caring just when its needed

Recently my father in law sadly passed away at home surrounded by the people he loved. The district nurses who came in all did a marvellous job but I really need to pick out one in particular.
This district nurse dealt with dad with such caring and compassion. Although his condition meant he was unable to interact they spoke to him in such a lovely way and showed complete respect. The district nurse spent time with the family, explained everything to us and genuinely make a stressful and difficult time much more bearable for us all.

Both I and the family would like to pass on our appreciation to all of the staff involved in the care you provided towards the end of dads life, we could never thank you enough and we feel truly blessed that these people were there for us all.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 28 November 2015

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 November 2015

Thank you for your very kind comments about the District Nursing Service and in particular one nurse who made such a big impact. May I offer you my sincere condolences for your loss and am thankful that the service were able to give you the support you needed through a difficult and painful time. When you read this response, I would be grateful if you could contact me to let me know which specific District Nursing Service team and which nurse in particular you found so very compassionate and helpful, I can then make sure the message is passed to the right person and team. I can be contacted on 0121 466 7128 or email alison.last@bhamcommunity.nhs.uk

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Birmingham Community Healthcare Trust

Praise for care in community

Both my parents have recently been admitted to a nursing home having for the last year been cared for by the community care team . Without the care of one of the carers in particular my parents would have been in a nursing home a lot sooner. The carer was always on the end of a phone line with help and guidance and any health issues were treated quickly before they became major health problems needing hospital admission . On one occasion when my father who has dementia and can be quite difficult was in hospital the carer went in and showered and shaved him managed to get him to take his medication something hospital were unable to do .My mom built up a trust with the carer and was very happy with one to one care . As for myself the carer was a great support I would like to say a big thank you to both our carer and the rest of the team without them many more people would be in hospital instead of being cared for in their home Keep up good work. Regards Elaine.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 24 July 2016

Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 25 July 2016

Dear Elaine

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback about the community services provided to your parents. If you are happy to contact me directly, I would welcome the opportunity to hear more details so that your comments can be taken to the individual people involved in supporting your parents and you. Please can you either phone me on 0121 466 7128 or email Alison.last@bhamcommunity.nhs.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.