Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust

023 8087 4300 Tatchbury Mount, Calmore , Southampton, Hampshire, SO40 2RZ

Anonymous reviewed Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust

Access to geriatric mental health

I was very worried about a friend for whom I have caring responsibilities.
I wanted to contact the Community Mental Health Service run by Southern Health to let them know. My first problem was how to get in touch with them. Their website has no email addresses or phone numbers. Please can this be changed?
When we finally made contact they were very helpful. But then we hit a second problem.
My friend was getting worse rather fast and the weekend was approaching. But the out-of-hours community mental health service is not available to people who are classed as geriatric. We had nowhere to go for help except the out-of-hours GP service or by ringing 999. Neither were appropriate.
My friend is just over 70 so he falls under geriatric mental health. But he has had mental health issues for 50 years so this situation didn't seem to be related to his age.
This feels like age discrimination. Why should there be no service after 5 pm or at weekends to someone who is old when there is a service for someone who is not old?
(Everyone connected with the service has been excellent and my friend is now under a very good CPN. My comments are about the way the service is organised, not about the staff).

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 14 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Jane Tibble, Complaints and PALS Officer, Complaints and PALS, Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 October 2017

Dear Mary
Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about our Older Person Mental Health Service. I am very sorry that it has been difficult to contact the service out of hours.
We always welcome feedback from our service users, their carer's and families as it helps us shape and improve our services. Therefore, please would you kindly contact the Complaints and Patient Experience Team on 023 8087 4065 or by e-mail hp-tr.customerexperience@nhs.net so that they can arrange an investigation into your concerns.
Your feedback has also been shared with the manager of the our Older Person Mental Health Service so that she can look into the concerns that you have raised.
Complaints and Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Lymington MIU

I had to visit Lymington MIU on the 26th September 2017 and a follow up visit on the 5th October 2017. At all times I was treated with kindness and respect, and,although they were very busy on both occasions I didn't feel that I was kept waiting an inordinate amount of time. When it was decided I required an x ray and then an ultrasound it was arranged very quickly. The only criticism I have is that there is obviously an insufficient number of porters as at times I had to wait quite a long time to be returned to MIU.
I think,that on the whole the MIU works very efficiently and effectively.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 05 October 2017

Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind feedback about the minor injuries unit at Lymington New Forest Hospital.
We are so pleased to hear about the care that you received. I would assure you that your feedback has been shared with the staff concerned. Your comment about insufficient porters has been passed on to the relevant manager.
Please kindly contact the Complaints and Patients Experience team should you wish to discuss this further on 023 8087 4065 or by e-mail hp-tr.customerexperience@nhs.net

Xlean3019 reviewed Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust

Very unhelpful

Though I was seen pretty timely they were very unhelpful in the end. Got offered CBT but basically just sat in a room and told to eat regularly and stop bingeing. They didn't help at all, just went over a food diary and thats about it. Very fustrated. When I expressed concern was told that I wasn't ready for therapy, and I felt the person I saw didn't care if I stopped bingeing and purging or not.
Don't know where to go now as I have tried private therapy. I don't have any other options.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 10 August 2017 using Care Opinion

Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 August 2017

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about our service at April House. We are sorry that our service was unhelpful for you.

Psychological therapy can at times be difficult to engage with, as it involves making changes that are challenging.

If your symptoms are still persisting then we would suggest you make contact with your GP to discuss further.

If you would like to discuss this further please contact the Customer Experience Team on 023 8087 4065 or by e-mail hp-tr.customerexperience@nhs.net in order for us to look into this for you.

Edna Dunn gave Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service

I have been very impressed by the service I have received from the service. I moved to the area and I saw a psychiatrist for a review and when I became ill this year the care has been excellent.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 02 September 2017

Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind feedback. We are so pleased to hear that you received excellent care. Our staff work hard to ensure they meet the needs of their service users
Complaints and Patient Experience

Robert Wood gave Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Lymington Hospital, Knightswood Ward, Keyhole hernia repair.

A comfortable and relaxed experience, with friendly staff and relaxed surroundings – all contributing to trust, confidence and assurance – leaving no concerns or anxiety.
Many thanks to everyone.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 03 July 2017

Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 July 2017

Thank you for posting your kind feedback on NHS Choices. This has been shared with the manager of the ward so they can thank the staff involved. Wishing you a full recovery.

Best wishes
Customer Experience Advisor

conor123 reviewed Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust

There's nothing you can do about it.

I have bipolar and have been trying desperately to get help as I have made suicide attempts in the past and have been in a real mess for a while now.
In my opinion, my psychiatrist at this place has played mind games with me from the start, I've been attending for 9 months now. Their arrogance and unprofessionalism are unreal. My diagnosis is incorrect and they refuse to change it, they have also sent all our session reports to the wrong GP. I have seen a psychologist there too who was very helpful and offered a plan to help me move forward but wants me to resolve some issues first, which I completely agree with.
Unfortunately the psychiatrist is intent on that not happening as they have made things personal since I complained about the diagnosis and the reports being sent to the wrong doctor. I should be working on my health and working towards getting better not playing war of the roses with someone who is supposed to be a professional.
The worst thing is that I feel that no one cares and I feel so sorry for the people who just give up, believe me I know how you feel. In my opinion the problem with the mental health system is not lack of money but the fact that no on regulates these people, so if they don't want to help you they won't, they still get paid and there's nothing you can do about it.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 05 May 2017 using Care Opinion

Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 May 2017

Dear Conor123

We are very sorry that you were disappointed with the care you have received from the Trust. We welcome feedback from our patients so that we can review the care we provide.

Please would you kindly contact our Customer Experience Team on 02380 874065 or by email: hp-tr.customerexperience@nhs.net and we will be happy to arrange a further investigation into your concerns.

Again, we regret that you were not happy with the care that you received.

Jane Tibble, Customer Experience

Unprofessional reviewed Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust

Discharged due to the complex nature of my situation

I've always suffered with depression and post-traumatic stress disorder due to the amount of operations and surgical procedures I've had to deal with I have never sought or asked for any help with my mental health as I've always been strong minded but a couple of years ago I was diagnosed with cancer and found the whole situation extremely overwelming and told to seek some support as I have no family and no friends.
I was put onto cannon house mental health team 4 help support advice which I would like to add none of the above I received apart from visits and calls to check that I am still alive. I felt they were extremely out of their depth unresourceful and unhelpful and unprofessional but yet somebody felt that it was more appropriate to just discharge me from their services due to complex nature of my situation.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 21 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedback and we are sorry to hear about your concerns.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns with you therefore please would you contact the Team leader, Paul Jones on 02380 878040.

Alternatively please contact Customer Experience to provide us with you name, address, date of birth and a telephone number so we can look into your concerns for you. We can be contacted on 023 8087 4065 or by e-mail hp-tr.customerexperience@nhs.net

Nicki gave Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Parkway Mental Health Team

I saw a member of staff from Parkway, they were kind caring and so thoughtful. They helped me through the darkest period of my life.
They went through so many things that gave me the tools to deal with my feelings.
They are a credit to you and your team.
The whole service I received was brilliant.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 01 May 2017

Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedback about Parkway. We are so pleased to hear about the care that you received which I assure you has been shared with the staff concerned.

Jane Tibble, Customer Experience

Desperatemother reviewed Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust

Why is this taking so long?

My son had to leave university because of anorexia. His gp immediately recommended him for treatment to April House. After the initial assessment where it was agreed he was in urgent need of treatment he has been kept waiting with only very sporadic contact to tell him he has to wait another few weeks, then another. Meantime his behaviour is becoming entrenched, his quality of life has sunk to barely existing, he looks like a skeleton, his health is very poor, his future is slipping away. He could have been helped if only he had been seen earlier. Why is this taking so long?

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 01 March 2017 using Care Opinion

Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 March 2017

Thank you for posting your feedback on NHS Choices. I am sorry to hear your son is unwell and you are concerned he is not receiving the support you would have expected. While patients are waiting to be seen by April House, they are advised to keep in touch with their GP on a regular basis. I appreciate however that you would like your son to be assessed as soon as possible and I can assure you that I have shared your concerns with the manager of the service to make them aware of this.

Due to confidentiality, I am unable to provide further details in this message, but if you would find it helpful to a speak to a member of the Customer Experience Team, please do not hesitate to contact us on 023 80 874065.

With kind regards
Julie White, Customer Experience Advisor

Anonymous reviewed Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust

I am fitter, happier and more clued up on life

I was sent to april house by my GP a couple of years ago. After a relativly short wait (a few weeks) as I was lucky I went for a assesment and was recomended the ICS program that they were running, after putting up resistance for a fair few weeks I eventuly aggreed to try it out. It was the best thing I have ever done!
Honestly these people saved my life and my sanity. I learnt how to live and love again in the safest way with all the support I could need, I made friends for life, and went through it all. I'm not saying it was all great, we all had those days when things were a struggle but the staff ended up being like our extended family and in some cases better, and got us though it all, better educated and more aware on all food / relationship / emotions that we were all dealing with. You need to work with these people as it is the only way you can push though your struggles and live a life worth living. You need to push your self little by little and you will slowly start to see a positive result where things and much clearer and not clouded by an eating disorder. Just remember little by little, one step at a time, and they will be there to help and guide you.
Looking back to where I was and where I am now is comparing 2 very different people. I am no longer timid, scared and isolated. I am much much stronger around food and my diet is varied and healthy which has got me to a stable weight and BMI, not over and not under, a stable comfortable place where I am happy. I am fitter, happier and more clued up on life and the problems people face all around us and can now relate and help other people.
Thank you April House and the friends (both staff and users) that I have made on my journey.
Thank you! ! ! -

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 11 March 2017 using Care Opinion

Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedback about your treatment at April House.
April House staff are very pleased to hear how helpful they had been in your recovery journey and I assure you that your feedback will be shared with staff.
It would be great if they could share your experience with other clients who might be at the early stages of their recovery and who would find it really appropriate hearing about yours.
If you wish to discuss this please contact the Customer Experience team on 02380 874065 or by email: hp-tr.customerexperience@nhs.net.