Bradford District NHS Foundation Trust

01274 228300 New Mill, Victoria Road, Saltaire , Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3LA

PJ2017 reviewed Bradford District NHS Foundation Trust

Excellent care at home for my father's final days

After a very long stay at the Airedale hospital it was finally agreed that no further medical treatment would be given and in accordance to the wishes of my father, his discharge would be fast tracked and he would return home for the final days of his life.
I would be lying if I said that I did not have reservations about the quality of care that he would receive at home but I could not have been more wrong. We met with the medical team on Tuesday and my father was back in his own home on Thursday.
How they managed to put a care package into place in such a short space of time was unbelievable and I would give particular thanks to Martin who made this happen. We reckon that he must have had a magic wand because he arranged for carers to visit four times a day, daily visits from the district nurse and the palliative care nurse as well as Marie Curie nurses who would stay with my father overnight.
The care given by Audley Carers in Ilkley has been excellent and the carers have treated my father with dignity and respect throughout. They have taken the time to help him eat, take sips of water and make sure that he is comfortable. They talk to him and explain what they are doing.
They are certainly true professionals and I commend each and every one of them. My father looks far more comfortable and settled in his own home. They take the time to do the little things that matter. He is washed and shaved, his pyjamas and bedding are changed and clean.
We live quite a distance away from my father and are therefore unable to visit daily. In addition to everything else that they have to do on their visit they ring me daily which has been greatly appreciated. They also find time to comfort us and explain what is happening.
Allowing my father to return home for his final few days has, without doubt, been the best thing for all of us. He is happier away from the hustle and bustle of a busy hospital and is able to get one to one care.
Service at its best. Thank you to all the members of the team.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 13 October 2017 using Care Opinion

Bradford District NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our services. We welcome all feedback but it is lovely to receive such great comments. We are glad that you had a good experience and to hear your recognition and appreciation of our staff for the work that they do. We have passed your comments to the staff involved in your father's care.

Anonymous gave Bradford District NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Unhelpful Helpline

Was given the Aire Wharfe Mental Service number ('Information & Support for You) by my husband's CPN last June (only time he's seen them) with advice that I could call them any time if there was a problem. Problem this evening was that it was proving difficult to negotiate my husband across the landing (he's 13 stone, I'm a wonky-spined 10st) because it was overrun by mouse-sized beetles chasing kittens. I rang re advice on hallucinations, gave relevant details, including mg by mg current medication etc, and got cut off. When I managed to get back (and please bear in my mind that I was having to keep him as steady as possible during this time - we have very steep stairs) I was advised to ring 111. #nothelpful. Hope somebody at some stage explains to me that all these we're-here-to-help-you-24/7 community supporters actually do for a living.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 15 February 2017

Bradford District NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 March 2017

We are sorry to hear about your difficult experience but thank you for taking the time to comment on our services. We encourage you contact us so we can discuss your concerns in person. If you would like to talk to someone about your care in more detail, please contact our Patient Advice & Complaints Department on 01274 251440 or e-mail: advice.complaints@bdct.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Bradford District NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Barely a mental health service

I was referred for psychiatric opinion and care and when a had a clinic appointment, three months after referral, saw the consultant for less than 10 mins, otherwise saw a very nice but very junior doctor on their first day in clinic. Follow-up appointment two weeks later, then discharged from clinic and my GP - who initially referred me because they needed help with my care - now has to follow up and decide whether to increase medication. I was also referred to a care coordinator for my 'holistic care ' - the appointment with them was cancelled on the day as the care coordinator was not in and two weeks later I have heard nothing, despite asking about it a week later. So I am not holding out great hope for the promised 'therapy review' which I have not heard anything about either. I was told there is a very long waiting list for talking therapies. I cannot see anything holistic, and there is barely any care, here.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 16 February 2017

Bradford District NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 March 2017

We are sorry to hear about your difficult experience with the clinic appointment you refer to, but thank you for taking the time to comment on our services.
All our Psychiatrists routinely offer hour long appointments for consultations with a new patient and would then write to the GP explaining in detail any treatment plan that may have been devised, giving advice on medication management in the future. We sometimes have unplanned absence within our staff team which may have contributed to your appointment being cancelled but in all cases would look to re-arrange these as soon as is practicably possible.

Anonymous gave at Bradford District NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Complete incompetence and lack of communication

Alarming level of apathy and incompetence. We have waited 15 months for help for a damaged victim of abuse. Case was closed without seeing the child. Promises made but never kept. First Response make promises on behalf of CAHMS but clearly there is not communication between the parties. Further referrals not actioned. Given that this is a service for highly vulnerable children it is unforgivable.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 23 May 2017

Bradford District NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I am sorry to hear about your experience We would like to look in to your concerns in more detail. If you would like to discuss your treatment in more detail, we can arrange for a member of staff speak to you. We invite you to contact our Patient Advice & Complaints Team on 01274 251440.