West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

01384 215555 Waterfront Business Park, Waterfront Way , Brierley Hill, West Midlands, DY5 1LX

Anonymous gave West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Emergency attendance

We had occasion to ring west Midlands ambulance last night because a member of our family had become suddenly unwell and as he'd previously had two strokes and I was concernened he may have had a minor stroke. From the time I telephoned the call centre to when the paramedics left we were treated with total courtesy and and reassured we were not wasting their time and were advised that if we became worried again we shouldn't be afraid to recall them. Could not have wished for better service.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 04 December 2017

Hopewood reviewed West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Visiting the Children's Accident and Emergency Department

My son was taken to the children's accident and emergency department this week at Heartlands hospital by an ambulance yesterday.
Firstly the ambulance service arrived at my mothers property where my son was very promptly and provided a excellent service, due to me being at work at that moment the ambulance crew spoke with my mom and then also to me over the phone. They were very reassuring and I felt confident that my son was in the best of hands.When I arrived at the children's accident and emergency department, we did have to wait about an hour to be assessed, but this was due to the volume of individuals using the service. When we were seen, the assessing nurse apologised for the wait and began assessing my son. She was very patient, knowledgeable and reassuring.
My partner and I have had to visit the children's accident and emergency department a number of times in the last ten weeks. This visit being our fourth, each time the staff have been pleasant, patient and very reassuring.
On two of our visits
The staff at this department do an absolutely wonderful job in a very high pressured environment, all the staff and the doctor (Lucy) were patient and friendly and everything you could wish for. Whilst we were waiting we observed parents being slightly rude to the staff and in response the staff continued to be polite and calm.
We did thank the staff when we left, but I feel they may not grasp how appreciative we are as parents of the person centered service that they offer.
Well done and thank you again!!!

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 15 November 2017 using Care Opinion

Regional Head of Patient Experience, West Midlands Ambulance Service replied on 13 December 2017

Dear Hopewood,
Many thanks for your feedback.
I hope your son is making a good recovery, where possible we try to share feedback with our staff. If you would like me to share your feedback with the attending ambulance crew, I would be grateful if you would consider contacting the Patient Experience Team at email pals@wmas.nhs.uk or telephone number 01384 26366.

Thankyou

I would like to thank the crews that attended my mother following falls in her home on Wednesday and Thursday of this week and their concern and patience they showed when they could not convince her that they should take her to the hospital for a check up. My mother is 89 years of age and is adamant she will not go to hospital. Her Doctor tried to convince her to go but as with the ambulance crews she has refused. The Dr has arranged for the district nurse to collect blood and urine samples to determine if there are underlining reasons for her falls.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 16 November 2017

Anonymous reviewed West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

No understanding

I am 62 years of age and this was the first time I had called 999. What a waste of time and energy. Having felt I'll oft above a week,I woke up with double vision. I had recently been diagnosed with heart problems. Already having osteoarthritis and scoliosis I was very very worried. I was told by the operator to make my own way to by local A&E
I know for a fact a emergency crew was sent out to a person I have known for 30 yesrs who is a hypochondriac (excuse the spelling) It seems to me 999 as got its priorities all wrong.Please don't reply to this saying sorry blah blah blah,it just will not wash.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 17 November 2017

West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 November 2017

We would like to investigate this in more detail on your behalf. Could you please contact our PALS department with your concerns via 01384 246370 or email : pals@wmas.nhs.uk . Thank you for your comment.

Excellent care

My 89 year oldmother sustained a fractured neck of femur yesterday. Two crews came to her. On transfer to Shrewsbury A and E it was overflowing with patients on trollies waiting for handover. Despite the extremly demanding conditions my mother was consistently treated in a gentle and calm manner . The crews looking after her changed with time but every single person we met had the same patient centred focus, doing everything they could to keep her stable and pain free. I really want to thank them all and commend their professionalism. I would particularly like to thank one staf member who deserves recognition for their kindness and skill.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 22 November 2017

Absolutely wonderful

Ambulance called to my son who has autism due to seizures , chest and abdo' pain.

22/10/2017 2.30pm

The paramedics were friendly, reassuring , polite and professional , in fact I can't fault them at all.

Please pass on my thanks

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 23 October 2017

JENK reviewed West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

My mother's suspected stroke

I recently phoned the GP as my mother was complaining of loss of feeling down the right side of her body affecting her arm & leg. The doctor instructed me to phone 999.
The paramedics arrived, they then diagnosed my 74 year old mother as having a virus brewing. I asked if I should take her to the doctors for antibiotics and they said leave it a few days as nothing would be given until the symptoms had come out. The trainee paramedic disagreed and said they felt there was a slight drooping of the face, the two medics disagreed and stuck to their results.
When they left I phoned the doctor again who, upon my explanation, asked to see my mother immediately. At the GP surgery the doctor diagnosed mother as very probably suffering from a stroke, asked if I had drove as it would be quicker for me to drive her to Worcester hospital than wait for an ambulance. The doctor printed this diagnosis along with my mothers medical notes to take with us and phoned ahead asking that the stroke team be ready for my mother on arrival.
On arrival at A&E at Worcestershire Hospital I relayed to the receptionist what the doctor had said and handed over the paperwork, we were told to take a seat. I waited five minutes and approached the receptionist again, stating that this was a possible stroke and the doctor had phoned ahead to ensure we were dealt with immediately. Once again we were told to wait, so I phoned our GP receptionist who spoke to the A&E hospital and we were seen by the triage nurse.
While the nurse was asking my (partially deaf mother) what the symptoms were, they continued to listen to music playing through their computer and jig along to the tune. The nurse then suggested we take a seat as procedures had changed and they were not sure where to send us. This is now 15mins from arrival. I suggested I would phone the GP and they could confirm the name of the person they had spoken with at the hospital who should be expecting us. Instead, the nurse insisted we take a seat back in the waiting room. So once again I struggled to take my mother who could not move her right leg to the waiting room with out the offer of help or the assistance of a wheel chair.
After waiting another five minutes, I phoned our GP who phoned the hospital while I held the call and arranged for the hospital doctor to come down to my mother. Once the doctor attended they confirmed she had indeed suffered a stroke and admitted her.
We were then told she would be taken for a scan. Just under one hour later, they came to take her for a scan. On arrival at the scan department we found them laughing and stating that they had been looking for my mother for the past half an hour as they had no idea where she had been put. Then they refused to do the scan as mom had not been given an ID band. When the nurse was found to put an ID band on, they explained that the A&E department could not find the trolley with all the relevant items on including ID bands.
My mother was then kept in overnight, when it came to her discharge the following day the lack of organisation was abysmal. The nurse explained that she had to take one type of tablet at 9am every day and a second type at 8pm each day and that it was important to take them at the same time each day. This was now approximately 11:00am, there was nothing on my mother's chart to say she had been given the morning tablet. When I raised this with the nurse the nurse asked my mom the question (did not check the chart or speak with a member of staff to check) and simply instructed a junior nurse to get the medication for my mother.
The nurse continued to hand the tablet to my mother (which was to be dissolved in water) but neither nurse offered her any water or cup to dissolve it in, we had to use her empty orange bottle and fill it with tap water). When the nurse returned and handed us the prescription to obtain mom's medication, I asked why there was only one of the tablets on it when they had just told me mom was to take two types of tablet. They insisted that the second tablet was not required until mom had been seen by her GP?
I was not happy with this, but the nurse was insistent so we went to leave. A few minutes later, as we have walked down to the reception to exit the building, the same nurse comes rushing to find us. They said they had decided that they would put the second tablet on the prescription and added it as we waited.
When I arrived at the pharmacy with the prescription the pharmacy could not fill it as no dosage had been put on the prescription, I had to phone the hospital and speak to the nurse who once again was very abrupt and told me it was the same dosage every time and the pharmacy should know, at which point I passed her over to the pharmacy to resolve the issue.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 24 October 2017 using Care Opinion

Dear JENK,
I am sorry to hear of your experience. I would be grateful if you would consider contacting the Patient Experience Team at email pals@wmas.nhs.uk or telephone number 01384 26366.

REMRAF reviewed West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

The unyielding concrete had not been therapeutic

I was standing on the topmost platform of my step ladder (where only sensible people would place just a bucket or paint pot) cleaning the roof of my motorhome. The step ladder folded under me and I had a hard crash landing on concrete. I’m inside a secure site and the warden is not answering his phone. I didn’t think I’d broken anything but knew the unyielding concrete had not been therapeutic. Calling 999 was my only sensible option. I was efficiently interrogated by the emergency operator and although I wasn’t number one on the priority list I didn’t have to wait long. A fast response vehicle turned up and I was rescued. My ambulance man not only rescued me but also cleaned up the accident site and returned my motorhome to its designated parking pitch, a very big thankyou to him. The staff in the Warwick A & E were kind and efficient and after their investigations I was despatched to a bed in the surgical ward for two days nursing and rehabilitation. I was safe and well cared for by everyone on duty during my stay and when I could demonstrate my mobility on crutches, by passing the climbing up and down stairs test, under instruction and guidance from the physiotherapist I was despatched home. A very big thankyou to Warwick Hospital and staff.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 16 November 2017 using Care Opinion

Dear REMRAF,
Many thanks for your feedback.
I hope your making a good recovery, where possible we try to share feedback with our staff. If you would like me to share your feedback with the attending ambulance crew, I would be grateful if you would consider contacting the Patient Experience Team at email pals@wmas.nhs.uk or telephone number 01384 26366.

Great service

My daughter called NHS 111 on Saturday morning due to chest pains. NHS 111 despatched an ambulance which arrived within minutes. Both paramedic and healthcare assistant were professional, friendly and amazing.

All was well thankfully but I would like to thank the crew despatched to
Worcester at 0900 on Saturday 30 September. Please can you make sure they receive this compliment and that their supervisor is made aware of their professionalism.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 02 October 2017

West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Steve gave West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

45 minutes waiting for ambulance for my mom

Last night my mom collapsed at Marston green train station when geting off the train she fell between track and platform luckily my newphew was there and very kind people managed to lift her free and lie her down on platform we put coats and stuff over her to keep her warm as she was in pain and shock of what happened and we did not know if she had hurt herself seriously it took 45 minutes for a ambulance to arrive when it did there was great with her but how the hell does it take that long to respond she could have had serious injurys luckily she was ok the people told me from ambulance there was send from north field and we was in Marston green people should not have to wait 45 mins for help hope this don't happen to anybody else

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 05 September 2017

West Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to send in this response and I am sorry that you have felt the need to do so. We would like to look into this matter in more detail on your behalf. Could you please contact our PALS department on 01384 246 370 or via email at: pals@wmas.nhs.uk . Thank you again for your comment.