South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

0300 123 0999 The Horseshoe, Bolters Lane , Banstead, Surrey, SM7 2AS

Anonymous gave South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Hypo glycemic i

My deepest thanks and appreciation to the paramedics who attended to my mother after she collapsed due to low blood sugar . Your patience and professionalism was truely amazing . Eternally grateful to you both for helping us .

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 13 December 2017

South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 December 2017

Dear anonymous

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to feed back about the service provided to your mother by South East Coast Ambulance Service recently. It must have been such a worry when your mother collapsed, and I was very pleased to hear that you felt our crew were patient and professional - just as they should be.

I know the crew themselves would be very pleased to read your comments, so if you do have time and are able to contact our Patient Experience Team to let them know when and where your mother was attended, they would be able to determine which crew this was and to pass on your thanks to them. The team can be contacted via email to pet@secamb.nhs.uk or by telephone to 0300 123 0942.

I do hope your mother has made a good recovery from this episode, and please do pass on to her our very best wishes.

Thank you again - we really do appreciate your very kind feedback.

Yours sincerely, Louise Hutchinson

Luca gave South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Rescued by friendly and kind hearted angeles

We had an unfortunate event tonight.
After taking a painkiller, a severe allergic reaction followed and so we were on 111 within 20min.
Perhaps a few of 10min later, the ambulance was at our place and 2 very kind professionals were by my wife's bedside, calming both of us down and being very kind and friendly to our daughter.
We want to say Many many thanks to both of them

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 08 October 2017

South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 October 2017

Dear Luca

Thank you very much for your very kind comments about our service and the staff who attended your wife when she suffered a severe allergic reaction. This must have been a very frightening episode for all of you, and I was so pleased to read that you found our crew to be friendly, kind and professional and that they were able to calm the situation, as I am sure that’s just what was needed.

We would be more than happy to pass on your thanks to the crew concerned, and if you would like us to do this, please call 0300 123 0999 and ask for Sue Brooker, or email sue.brooker@secamb.nhs.uk, providing the date we attended and the address, and this will enable Sue to identify the crew.

Thank you again for taking the time to feed back about your experience, which is much appreciated. I do hope your wife recovered well from this episode, and please do pass on to her our very best wishes.

Pregnancy problems

I’ve recently had 2 ambulance call outs (Mon 8/10/17 and Monday 23/10/17) due to heavy bleeding caused by placenta previa. On both occasions the paramedics were highly professional, personable and I had enormous confidence in them. The first crew really stood out with their kindness and for me and my husband as well. The operator however for the second episode was clearly training as we could hear someone giving them instructions and whilst I was telling them about my condition, it didn’t seem to register and we feel they caused a delay in my care (we waited 100% longer for 2nd ambulance).

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 25 October 2017

South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 25 October 2017

Dear Anonymous

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about the service provided by South East Coast Ambulance Service when you needed our services recently. These must have been very worrying times for you and your family, and I was so pleased to hear that the paramedics were professional, personable and instilled confidence, as I am sure that would have helped the situation.

I can appreciate that it might have been a little disconcerting when on the second occasion you could hear the call-taker being given instructions, however this is unavoidable when training new staff, as we need to be sure they are dealing correctly with the sometimes extremely serious calls they take. This should not have impacted upon the timeliness of the ambulance arrival, however in order to make sure that this was not the case we would be pleased to look into the incident for you and to confirm why the second ambulance took a little longer to arrive. If you would like us to do this, and indeed if you would like us to pass on your kind comments to the ambulance crews who attended you, please do contact our Patient Experience Team if you have time, via email to pet@secamb.nhs.uk or by telephone to 0300 123 9242, and they will be pleased to help you.

I really do hope things are progressing well with your pregnancy now and wish you all the very best for the future.

Louise Hutchinson, Patient Experience Lead

Daughter having a panic attack

Last night my 14 year old daughter experienced her first panic attack which was scary for both herself and myself. I rang 111 and the paramedic arrived swiftly and calmly and their patience and reassurance was fantastic. Unfortunately an ambulance had to be called as she continued to hyperventilate , once again both ambulance members were reassuring and sensitive to my daughter and her situAtion . Thank you so much for this amazing service and caring team .

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 03 September 2017

South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 September 2017

Dear Anonymous

I was sorry to read about your daughter’s panic attack earlier this month, and can imagine how frightening it must have been for you both, particularly as this had never happened before. I was so pleased to read, though, that both the single paramedic and the crew that arrived later were reassuring, sensitive and caring, as I should imagine this was exactly what was needed in the circumstances.

I do hope your daughter went on to make a good recovery from this episode and that any future such attacks are few and far between, as I know that even when you have experienced them before, they can be quite alarming and unsettling.

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about the service provided by South Coast Ambulance Service, and please pass on my very best wishes to your daughter.

Louise Hutchinson, Patient Experience Lead

Daughter who cares about her mother and about the NHS reviewed South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Very slow response time for my 96 year old mother

My 96 year old, deaf, partially-sighted, disabled (arthritis of the spine) mother recently had a fall in her flat at about 1 am. She lives in an Extended Care facility flat, so pressed her life-line and the on-duty carer immediately came to her. The carer called for an ambulance at 1. 15 am. No ambulance came until 4. 45 am, despite repeated requests for assistance from the carer (my mum was becoming increasingly distressed at being unable to rise from the floor, and was in tears).
The ambulance crew judged that my mother should be taken to A & E (Medway Maritime) as they were concerned about her BP.
At A & E my mother had to wait 4 hours before she was assessed by a doctor.
Fortunately, she was assessed as being suitable to be sent home (with the appropriate checks later carried out by Rapid Response on my mother in her flat).
However, she had to wait a further 2 hours before hospital transport was available to take her home.
Whilst the care delivered by all staff concerned was at all times exemplary, as far as I can judge, I feel that the waiting times involved (particularly for an initial ambulance/medical assistance) were shocking!
I felt distressed for my mother, for the NHS staff who have to work with such unacceptable time delays, and for any other vulnerable, elderly patients who may have to endure such an experience as this. I live 100 miles away from my mother, and have been unwell so was unable to attend in person on this occasion. My mother's carers were wonderful in coping with the long wait for an ambulance.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 16 August 2017 using Care Opinion

Louise Hutchinson, Patient Experience Lead, South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 August 2017

Dear patient’s daughter
I was so sorry to read about the very long delay experienced by your mother when she had a fall in her flat recently in the early hours of the morning and needed ambulance assistance. I can appreciate what a very worrying time it must have been for her, as well as for the carer and for you, so many miles away, and I am sorry that the delay in the ambulance arriving would have only added to this.
Clearly this is not an acceptable level of service and we should like to be able to look into the concerns you raise in order to establish the reasons for the delay. It would therefore be much appreciated if you were able to contact our Patient Experience Team to let them know where and when we attended your mother so that we locate the calls that were made, and they can be contacted by email to pet@secamb.nhs.uk or by telephone to 0300 123 9242.
Thank you very much for taking the time to feed back your comments, and please do pass on our sincere apologies to your mother, along with our very best wishes for her recovery.
Louise Hutchinson, Patient Experience Lead

simon gave South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

constant bellowing of sirens

The joy of living on my road, the constant bellowing of sirens is now becoming very mind numbing, my wife spent years in big cites in the states including new york , and has never heard so many as in this small little town, im thinking the ambulance service are getting a little 2 siren happy now with what seems to be 16 year old drivers and just need to chill on the button were not in down town LA!!! theres one going off right now!!!!!!

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 07 July 2017

South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 July 2017

Dear Simon

I am sorry to read that you are experiencing constant noise from sirens, which I understand is a source of frustration for you.

The use of audible warnings is governed by legislation, and their use is permitted throughout the 24-hour period at the driver’s discretion. The audible and visual warnings are not used when vehicles are returning to station or engaged in non-emergency journeys, except in the event that a patient’s condition deteriorates requiring high priority conveyance to hospital.

While we recognise that audible warning devices can cause disturbance to the public, they are essential to alert other road vehicles and pedestrians to the approach of an emergency ambulance and are only employed when crews are responding to high priority emergency calls (‘Red calls’, which are immediately life-threatening, and some ‘Green’ calls, which although not immediately life-threatening are still serious) or when transporting patients in a critical condition to hospital.

Our staff are instructed to use sirens safely and responsibly and I am pleased to report that we do not receive a significant number of expressions of concern from the public about their usage. However, we do sometimes receive concerns from other road users if sirens are not used. Should a collision occur when an ambulance is on an emergency journey and sirens were not employed, it is highly likely that the crew would be exposed to criticism and SECAmb considered liable for any damage, injury or death that may result, as well as any harm that was caused to any patient that may have been on board the ambulance.

We would, of course, be more than happy to look into your individual concerns, and if you were able to contact our Patient Experience Team, either by email to pet@secamb.nhs.uk or by telephone to 0300 123 9242, to provide some further details, the team would be pleased to do that for you.

Louise Hutchinson, Patient Experience Lead

Dani M gave South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

First Class compassionate Service

After 2 hours of hesitating we called an ambulance. It arrived in minutes.
They worked hard to get my husbands pulse rate up - and saved his life.

I was not only impressed with their medical professionalism but greatly impressed by their compassion for him - and for me. There was good humour amid the speed and such courtesy and respect for an elderly man.
The drive to QA was smooth and fast and he was later fitted with a pace-maker.

We hear so much about shortages and stress - I cant speak highly enough of this team or were so gracious and kind, as well as efficient.
Thank you just does not seem a big enough word. Thanks too for the borrowed time with my beloved husband. D

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 10 August 2017

South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 17 August 2017

Dear Dani

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback about the service your husband received from South East Coast Ambulance Service recently. This must have been a very worrying time for you both, and I was so pleased to hear that our crew were kind, courteous and respectful, and injected a little humour into the proceedings to help the situation. It was good to hear that you felt they were efficient, too, and that your husband had a smooth ride to hospital.

I see that your husband had a pacemaker fitted, and I do hope this will improve his health going forwards. However if he should suffer chest pain or any other worrying symptoms in future, please do not hesitate to call 999 straight away. Time can be of the essence, and we would recommend you always err on the side of caution and call us so that we can triage the symptoms and recommend the best course of action.

I would very much like to pass on your thanks to the individual staff involved, as I know they would be thrilled to read your comments and to know that your husband went on to have a pacemaker fitted. If you do have time to contact our Patient Experience Administrator and let her know where and when we attended your husband, she will be able to identify the crew and ensure they see your message. Sue can be contacted via email to compliments@secamb.nhs.uk or by telephone on 0300 123 0999 ext. 34816.

Thank you again for your very kind words, and please pass on my very best wishes to your husband for a good recovery from his procedure.

Louise Hutchinson, Patient Experience Lead

Kumar gave South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Paramedics

Two paramedics attended on me as I was feeling breathless and was experiencing chest pain. Calm, composed and extremely professional- they treated me as an individual in distress rather than just another case. Thanks and well done

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 21 June 2017

South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 June 2017

Dear Kumar

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback about the service you received recently when you were breathless and experiencing chest pain. It must have been a very worrying time for you, and I was so pleased to read that the paramedics who attended you were calm, professional, and treated you as an individual, which I hope helped to reduce your distress a little.

I know that the staff concerned would be pleased to read your comments and to know how you are now, so if you are able to contact our Patient Experience Team, either by email to pet@secamb.nhs.uk, or by telephone to 0300 123 9242, to provide a little more information, they will be able to identify those involved and pass your thanks on to them.

Thank you again for your very kind comments, and I do hope you are making a good recovery.

Louise Hutchinson, Patient Experience Lead

Disappointed111 reviewed South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Calling 111 for my 4 year old

I had cause to use the 111 Service one Friday evening. To say that it was disappointing is an understatement.
As a parent with a crying child in pain, trying to obtain some medical advice from an call centre adviser was an enormous waste of my time. The service was completely inflexible and not fit for purpose.
I believe the flow chart system that the call centre adviser is forced to use is too rigid, there is no listening that goes on and the problems of a 4 year old in pain cannot fit in to this series of questions. From a parents point of view, the number of unnecessary questions prolongs the time before you can obtain any appropriate care in an agonising way. The worst part was that by the time I got through all the unnecessary questions, the outcome was totally inappropriate. Being advised to make an appointment with my GP on Monday (so having to wait all Friday evening, all day Saturday and all day Sunday! ). Quite simply - wrong!
Even when I insisted on speaking to a medical person, they couldn't help and tried to make an out of hours appointment with a doctor. This was not possible and they assured me I would receive a phone call with an appointment from a doctor within a short time - to me this meant around 30-60 minutes. As it turned out, the phone call came some 7 hours after! What a shame we had the predecessor to the 111 service abolished, I think it was a far superior service.
I will be speaking to my local MP about this and my other terrible experiences of the 111 service and I hope that before long it is abolished and it's predecessor reinstated.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 06 July 2017 using Care Opinion

South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 July 2017

Dear Disappointed 111

I was so sorry to read of your frustration and disappointment with the NHS111 service when you called for your four-year-old one Friday. It must have been a very worrying time for you and I am sorry you did not receive the high standard of service we would expect.

We are very keen to look into the concerns you raise, in terms of how the call was handled, the outcome of the call, and to establish whether the referral made to the out-of-ours GP service was made in the correct way, as we do seek to learn from and improve as a result of complaints such as yours.
It would therefore be very helpful if you were able to contact our Patient Experience Team, either by email to pet@secamb.nhs.uk or by telephone to 0300 123 9242, to provide some further details to enable us to locate, audit and review your call.

I do hope your little one has since recovered well, and we hope to hear from you soon.

Jac22 reviewed South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Caring and compassionate staff

Care for my mum, grateful
My mum is suffering with anxiety and recent diagnosis of ischaemic heart disease she also has tinnitus which is the main cause of her problems.
She has called out ambulances several times and we cannot be more grateful for the care the crews have given.
Last week a paramedic spent some time assessing my mum and discussing her condition and problems with me.
They were firm but kind to mum and took the time to get hold of me and explain how they had managed her care.
They contacted the GPsurgery and left a plan should mum need further input over the weekend.
I would like to say a big thank you for the care and compassion demonstrated

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 20 March 2017 using Care Opinion

South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 March 2017

Dear Jac22

Thank you very much for taking the time to feed back about your and your mum’s experience of South East Coast Ambulance Service last week.

I was so sorry to hear of your mum’s illnesses, which I can imagine must be very worrying for both of you, in particular her recent diagnosis of ischaemic heart disease to compound her suffering with tinnitus. I was really pleased to hear, though, that you are happy with the care provided by our crews, and very heartened to read of how the paramedic who attended last week was caring and compassionate, and not only took time to assess your mum, but also to call you to discuss her treatment with you and to contact her GP surgery too.

I know that the staff concerned would be thrilled to receive your feedback, so if you are able to contact our Patient Experience Team, either by email to pet@secamb.nhs.uk, or by telephone to 0300 123 9242, to provide a little more information, they will be able to identify those involved and pass your thanks on to them.

Thank you again for your very kind comments, which really are appreciated. I do hope that your mum recovered quickly from this latest episode, and please pass on to her our very best wishes.