South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

01869 365 000 Northern House, 7 - 8 Talisman Business Centre, Talisman Road , Bicester, Oxfordshire, OX26 6HR

Anonymous gave South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Exceptional 111 Care from Paramedic

In the early hours Saturday 16 Sep 17, I fell, at home in Old Portsmouth, very awkwardly onto a trunk. In the process, I very badly bruised my lower, left back, above my kidney. I managed to crawl to my bed. When I awoke, later, I was in excruciating pain and completely unable to move to get out of bed. Apart from the muscular damage, I was concerned that I had damaged my kidney. After some hours of assuring my wife that this would get better, she dialed 111 and reported my predicament as a non-emergency concern. A perfectly reasonable time later, a paramedic arrived to have a look at me. With the aid of "gas and air", considerable confidence boosting professional reassurance and a whole two hours, they managed to get me out of bed and downstairs to our sitting room from which I had access to the bathroom etc. Without their patience and skill, I fear I might still be trapped in my bed, four days later. Getting down the 12 steps from my bedroom to the sitting room was the most painful thing I have done in my 60 years, including during my 34 as a Royal Marines Commando. I note from your rules that, by naming them, my review may not be published. I write this in the hope that the exemplary service and care they provided be recognised by their superiors and that a message of my thanks and that of my wife might be passed to them.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 20 September 2017

South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 29 September 2017

Thank you very much for your message. In order for us to be able to pass this on to the correct people, please can I ask that if possible you email patientexperience@scas.nhs.uk with the address and name details? Kind regards, the SCAS Patient Experience Team

Kindness and compassion at the end of life

Two teams of crew have helped my grandmother in her final days of life. To the wonderful crew who got soaked to the bone coming to take her home from hospital yesterday when they were not even suppossed to on call. to the crew today who attended when she had gone and helped get things organised. Thank you,

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 02 August 2017

South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 August 2017

Thank you very much for your kind message thanking our crews that attended your grandmother. Your message is very much appreciated. If you are able to and would like to, you can email patientexperience@scas.nhs.uk with the full details and we can pass this on to the people that attended her. Kind regards, the SCAS Patient Experience Team.

Jordi gave South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Failed to collect Patient for morning appointment

On the 25th of August I was due to attend an Out Patients appointment at the Royal Berkshire Hospital Fracture Clinic at 1130am.

Several days prior to this I booked the transport and on the advice of my GP, told SCAS that my appointment was at 11am to ensure I arrive at the appointment promptly.

I expected to be collected anytime from 1030am, and with my broken leg sat on a chair at the end of the my driveway waiting hold my crutches and a back pack.

I waited, and I waited some more and still the ambulance did not come.

My wife, who was unable to take me phoned the hospital who informed her this particular fracture clinic was a morning only service.

My wife then called SCAS and was informed that due to a driver calling in sick, the designated driver was running late.

At 11.00 I had to beg a lift from a friend who took me to the RBH with my wife. We succeeded in reaching our appointment a few minutes late but were fortunate that we were seen and everything that needed to be done was done just as the department was closing down.

On our return home we discovered a calling card left by SCAS saying that you were sorry you missed us. The time recorded on the card was 12:09. This would have been 39 minutes after the appointment and 9 minutes after the department apparently closed.

If I had waited at the end of my driveway from 10:30 to 12:09, I would have sat there for 1hr 39mins for no reason as my appointment would have come and gone.

I will not be using Patient Transport Services again nor will I recommend its use to anyone. I anticipate my return journey would have been equally a disaster as shown in its attempted execution.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 06 September 2017

South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 07 September 2017

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are very sorry to hear of the problems you experienced with the Patient Transport service. To enable us to complete a full investigation into this incident, please could you contact the Patient Experience Team, either by phone on 0300 123 9280 or by email to patientexperience@scas.nhs.uk.

Yours sincerely

The SCAS Patient Experience Team

wonderful crew could not have done more.

After my husband collapsed at home I rang 999, the crew and ambulance arrived within minutes. They were absolutely wonderful. They were super efficient with fluids ECG etc at our home. One drove and one looked after my husband. They even made up the bed in the ward for him. Sadly he passed away the next day but they did make a difference to his situation.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 09 June 2017

South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 June 2017

Thank you very much for your message thanking us for your late husband's treatment. If you are able to and would like to, please contact our Patient Experience Team by email at patientexperience@scas.nhs.uk with some more details so that we can pass this on to the crew that attended. Yours sincerely, the Patient Experience Team.

FRANKIE15 reviewed South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

The staff were cheerful and thorough

I had to call the paramedics in as my husband had some sort of 'incident'.. They had a half hour call back and the doctor said that they would like him to have a blood test that is how we arrived in a&e. Could you please pass on our thanks to all the staff involved, not only the medical but also the lovely staff member on reception who gave me advice on parking.
The staff were cheerful, thorough and constantly keeping a look out for us. It was a long evening as he was not cleared to go until 1am. We both felt we were being treated as people not as something on a conveyor belt, so once again thank you to them all.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 11 May 2017 using Care Opinion

South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 May 2017

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding the ambulance service involvement in your husband's care recently. Yours sincerely, the Patient Experience Team.

Leafyland chap reviewed South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Excellent emergency care

From the very fast 999 ambulance response time at 5am on Easter Monday morning! to arriving at Wycombe hospital and the excellent care from everybody under Dr Burn (he was on duty) I want to say a very big thank you. The NHS is a well oiled machine and for me it worked.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 18 April 2017 using Care Opinion

South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 April 2017

Thank you very much for your kind message, we're very pleased to hear of your excellent experience with South Central Ambulance Service. If you would like to contact us to give us more details. please feel free to email us at patientexperience@scas.nhs.uk or call us on 0300 123 9280 and we can pass on your thanks to the crew that attended.

Xleper reviewed South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Easter Monday hospital experience

I awoke in the early hours of Easter Monday morning with very rapid heart palpitations which did not ease after a few hours. I was advised by NHS Direct to go to Stoke Mandeville A&E which I did. Later that day I was transferred to High Wycombe Hospital who treated me and sent me home late afternoon.
From first to last I received nothing but kindness and re-assurance from everyone, including the ambulance staff who transported me between hospitals. They could not have been nicer or more comforting and in my rather agitated state I was very grateful and happy to be in their care. I worked on a hospital switchboard for many years and know how push the staff get on public holidays so they have all earned my heartfelt gratitude for the treatment I received.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 20 April 2017 using Care Opinion

South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 April 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this message to thank the ambulance crew that transported you from Stoke Mandeville to High Wycombe Hospital on Easter Monday. Kind regards, South Central Ambulance Service.

Rhyanne Harvey gave South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent crew and service

We were sent paramedics via 111. The crew came and assessed my baby. I must state they were such lovely people. They were great with my daughter and myself. BZ

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 09 March 2017

South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 March 2017

Thank you very much for your kind message. We're very pleased to hear that you had an excellent experience. If you would like to contact us to give us the full details then please contact the Patient Experience Team on 0300 123 9280 or email patientexperience@scas.nhs.uk. Yours sincerely, The SCAS Patient Experience Team

LP1994 reviewed South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Excellent NHS Paramedic experience

My sister was suffering with a lot of pain from her tonsillitis and stomach pains, in the end I had to phone 999 as she was in a lot of discomfort. Mike from Milton Keynes Ambulance attended and was really helpful and reassuring, he made my sister and I feel at ease. MK hospital didn't have the specialist on duty so we had to go to Northampton hospital. We had no way of getting there so Mike conveyed us there so my sister could receive the care she desperately needed. I could not thank him enough for what he done for us and he even managed to make us laugh with his bad jokes. I can't thank Mike enough for going out of his way and the care he gave my sister. thank you.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 12 February 2017 using Care Opinion

South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 February 2017

Thank you very much for your kind message thanking our Ambulance crew members. To enable us to pass this on to the correct people, please can I ask that you contact the Patient Experience Team either my email to patientexperience@scas.nhs.uk or by calling 0300 123 9280 so that we can take some more details. Kind regards.

Silverfox25 reviewed South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Emergency Cardiac Treatment, Cardiac Ward, Follow Up and Rehab

Following a 2nd serious cardiac incident at home, I want to express my gratitude to all, who saved my life and showed care beyond expectations. The ambulance crew were simply amazing, all the consultants who monitored my progress over four days in cardiac ward and Dr Spyrou who operated on me for the 2nd time, all the nurses and support staff who so methodically and efficiently cared for everyone in the ward, were all incredible people. They seemed to keep their heads on their shoulders despite all the impossible and continuous challenges and pressures facing them in the wards. I have worked in very busy industrial and educational institutions but have not seen such high levels of intense activity anywhere - how do they manage not to make mistakes? Cardio Rehabilitation sessions gave me confidence and the motivation to live normally.
When I hear the news about the NHS, the powers that be make it sound like Doctors and Nurses have to work more efficiently but my experience and the experience of many fellow patients, told us something different - that those politicians and bureaucrats will only appreciate the truth if they ever became patients.
I am just very grateful!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 18 May 2017 using Care Opinion

South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 May 2017

Thank you very much for your post thanking the ambulance crew that attended you recently. If you would like us to feed the message back to the crew involved, we would ask if you could email your details to patientexperience@scas.nhs.uk. Thank you again, the Patient Experience Team.