North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust

01204 498400 Ladybridge Hall, 399 Chorley New Road , Bolton, BL1 5DD

Anonymous gave North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Judged and let down

My 11 month old daughter accidentally fell off a chair in the Borough and as a result of this she started bleeding profusely from her mouth. I was extremely concerned about her and immediately called the emergency services for an ambulance.

When the ambulance arrived and the paramedic rolled down the window, they stated "Are we really needed here?" They proceeded to berate me for not walking to A&E; this was all before they had even exited the vehicle or taken a look at my daughter. I felt humiliated and shamed by your employee, which heightened my current post natal depression. When I declined the ambulance and started to walk to A&E, with the assistance of a friend, (I am a single mother of twins with no vehicle). Only then did they try to take a look at my daughter. By this point, I did not want my daughter to be treated by them as I felt they would overlook any serious issues as they made it clear that we were wasting their time.

I am highlighting this incident not only for my daughter, myself but for any other young mother who finds herself dealing with your employee. I asked for their ID and took note of the registration number of the vehicle so I can provide more details for you.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 12 October 2017

Joy watterworth reviewed North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust

Wonderful care

I would like to say a big thank you to the wonderful ambulance crew that took me to Wythenshawe hospital on Monday night this week. Date 18th September at approx 11pm. The paramedic was a star in helping me and treating me. They even checked on me at the end of their shift. It is obviously a vocation for them not just a job. The driver was so kind and gentle making me feel really cared for. please pass on my grateful thanks.. Joy Watterworth . Timperley.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 20 September 2017

Karen Cody gave North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Partner suffered burns and waited 40 minutes for ambulance

My partner was involved in an arson attack at work he suffered severe burns and waited for 40 minutes for an ambulance and medical attention He was in absolute agony and was put into an induced coma wen he finally arrived at hospital I find this absolutely disgusting that he waited so long suffering like that I will be taking this further the firefighters where amazing but the care he recieved off the ambulance service was a disgrace and the firefighters at one stage said he can't wait much longer for an ambulance and was willing to take him themselves I'm so annoyed by this and will be making an official complaint

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 30 September 2017

Great full from Penwortham reviewed North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust

thank you to all the staff from reception

My mum was taken in an ambulance to royal Preston hospital after collapsing at her GPs surgery. The emergency department is having a lot of building work carried out and space was limited.
The staff who helped my mum were very professional caring and explained what was happening. There was a young ST3 doctor who was fantastic with my mum and with my dad and myself. All three of us would like to say a big thank you to all the staff from reception, ambulance crew and emergency staff.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 10 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Pat B reviewed North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust

A & E admission

I was taken to A&E on Friday for the 4th time since February due to a heart condition. I could not fault the care I received from ambulance and paramedics, A&E staff and ward staff on each occasion. Given the pressure within the NHS and the lack of respect shown by some patients I can only congratulate staff for the continued care and commitment shown by all on each admission. Many thanks.The one thing that I think could be improved is if the pharmacy was open at weekends

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 17 August 2017 using Care Opinion

Patient Experience Support Officer, Patient Experience, North West Ambulance Service replied on 18 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of using North West Ambulance on Care Opinion. It was very pleasing to hear about the excellent care that you have received on each occasion from our staff and also to read that this has continued once you have reached the hospital.
I hope that this will continue should you need to call on our services again in the future.
Many Thanks

Ian Nelson gave North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

The evening of the 20-05-17 in Blawith in Cumbria

On the Saturday evening of the 17th of May this year I was experiencing severe chest pains even though I had taken my spray for Angina as I was on the waiting list for by pass surgery in August, the Ambulance was contacted by my Wife Julie after some pressure from her,
and on their arrival it was quite obvious this was urgent they were astounding in their manner and ability in gathering the information from me with the use of various pieces of equipment but at the same time reassuring me and Julie that all will be fine, as well as talking with their control one of the Para Medics went for the chair from the Ambulance to take me to the Helicopter which had been requested,

I sat in the chair and was wrapped in a blanket, and the next I remember was coming around on the floor with a Para Medic pressing my chest very hard and the next time I remember waking suddenly in the fetal position and saying I don't want that again, and I can only imagine that was after having the shock treatment to revive me.

Eventually I was stable enough to be stretchered to the Helicopter which took me to Blackpool Hospital where I underwent Surgery that evening.

Without the help and professionalism of both Ambulance crews I am more than sure I wouldn't be alive today to post my thoughts and admiration for the Para Medics that saved my life and their compassion and caring manner in which they conducted them selves was astounding'

Thank you from the bottom of my Heart .

Ian Nelson

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 16 June 2017

North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust replied on 20 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of using North West Ambulance Service on the NHS Choices website. I was honoured that you shared what must have been such a terrifying experience for you and your wife but so pleased to hear of the excellent care that was provided to you. It was particular pleasing to hear how they considered both yourself and Julie and tried to reassure you both – and that they identified the right treatment for you including arranging the helicopter to get you to hospital as quickly as possible.

I will try to identify the crew members involved and share this post with them as I am sure that they would like to read this and to see the outcome that their actions had and all of the kind words that you have written about them.

Thank you once again and I would like to send you best wishes for the future.

Anonymous reviewed North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust

Thursday 18th May 2017 Manchester Football Museum 2050 hrs

What started out as a pleasant family trip to the Football Museum changed when my 85 yr old father stated he didn't feel too good. By the time we got outside for some fresh air it was obvious he was quite ill.

The First Aider at the museum assisted with contacting the ambulance for me and a fast response car attended very quickly. The person who attended was very pleasant and quickly established dad had an issue with his heart. The paramedic then requested an ambulance whilst maintaining a good rapport with my dad and helping to put my mum's mind at rest.

Dad was then assessesd and taken by ambulance to the MRI , the staff allowing my 18yr old child to stay with dad whilst I got mum to hospital.

It was lovely that the paramedic came back to A and E to check on him and say goodbye once the ambulance was ready to go back out on duty. He did look a lot better by then.

Dad is receiving excellent care at the MRI and will hopefully return home next week.

Yes, the staff attending did the the job they are supposed to but they did it in such a calm , professional reassuring way that mum and my daughter had no reason to panic. All three were a credit to the uniform they wear and we will be eternally grateful for their prompt diagnosis .

Once again, thank you so much.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 20 May 2017

North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust replied on 30 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of using North West Ambulance Service on the NHS Choices website. I’m sorry that your Dad was taken poorly at the football museum however I was pleased to read how quickly you received a response and that the member of staff provided excellent care to all of you. It is always lovely to hear of those extra touches that are staff take on themselves such as coming back to say goodbye.

We always love to hear compliments about our staff although as NHS Choices is anonymous, we can’t always pass them on to the members of staff involved. If you would like to thank them personally you can do this by emailing our patient experience team at patient.experience@nwas.nhs.uk or by phoning them on 0345 112 6500 between the hours of 10am – 3pm, Monday to Friday.

I would just like to finish by sending my best wishes to your family for the future and thank you once again for sharing your experience.

Philip Western gave North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Emergency call out to Penrith

On 12th May my father became very unwell after returning from Cumberland Infirmary when we had received his diagnosis of advanced Oesophageal Cancer. He became very breathless on minimal exertion (although with his neuropathy just standing was a major effort).
We called 999 and paramedics were dispatched from Keswick - they must have pushed it as in what seemed like a short time they attended in Penrith. I am afraid in all that has happened since I have forgotten their names as I would like to pass on my thanks to them personally. The technician was most kind and the paramedic was just the sort of man my Dad appreciated- compassionate and efficient all rolled into one. They took his sats and at rest Dad was just 85% no wonder he was unwell. With Mother strapped in beside him and oxygen with rebreather at full blast they blue lighted their way (back) to the Cumberland Inf. I followed in the car. When I joined them in the 'majors' corridor at AE we were 2nd in the queue to Resus. It was the day or the 'hack'. They must have been using XP at CI. We were in the corridor for maybe an hour and a half. At one point Dad looked worse- even more pale I noticed at the same time as the paramedic and had visions of CPR in the corridor. Dad and Mum had not had time to discuss DNAR. The paramedic went on our behalf to the nurse coordinator to attempt to speed Dad's entry to resus.
Eventually, they handed over with appropriate professionalism and care to Dad who despite his condition thanked them and shook their hands.

Dad died 3 days later. And they way he was treated does make a real difference.

Thank you.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 29 May 2017

North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust replied on 02 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of using North West Ambulance Service at such a sad time for you and your family. I was really moved to hear of the great care that was provided to your Father by our ambulance crew at what must have already been a distressing time for you without the added pressure that the cyberattack caused to the NHS on this day. I was pleased to hear that the crew tried to help in every way that they could and your Father sounds like a real gentleman to acknowledge his thanks despite how unwell he was at the time.

Although I understand you may not wish to contact us at the present time, you mention wanting to thank the crew members personally – if you do want to do this, we can trace the crew members involved, even if you do not have the names – if you would like to if you email patientexperience@nwas.nhs.uk or ring the team on 0345 112 6500 between 10am and 3pm and we will pass this on to the crew for you.

Thank you once again.

Anonymous gave North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Ambulance No Show !

At 1720 hours on Saturday 1st April 2017 My wife fell and injured herself complaining that her right arm was broken. I contacted the ambulance service through 999 at 1723 hours giving all relevant information. I was told to keep my door open and although they were very busy they would attend. At 1800 hours still no ambulance so I again contacted the service through another 999 call. The operator informed me that our call had been sent to an out of hours on call Doctor and were surprised that no one had contacted us. I was then put through to a supervisor who assured me that an investigation would be carried out and an clinician would contact me but no ambulance would be coming to attend my wife. I again explained that my wife was in tremendous pain and as we had two children with us aged 2 and 8 we could not get to A&E without an ambulance.. The clinician contacted us at about 1825 hours and I explained to them about how much pain she was in. They insisted that they needed to speak to my wife and went through again various questions regarding her condition even though she was in a lot of pain. During this call our daughter had arrived from Burnley after I had contacted her at 1730 hours. At this point I spoke to the clinician and informed them that I was terminating the call and was taking my wife to A&E.
My wife was x-rayed and was diagnosed with broken bone to the upper right arm.
I want to know why an ambulance was not dispatched to my house and my wife had to endure tremendous pain for an hour and had to speak to some non doctor person from Manchester.
I will be taking this further with the relevant authorities as well as seeking legal advice.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 02 April 2017

Anonymous reviewed North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust

I was turned away from the ward due to lack of staff

I awoke feeling very unwell, dizziness and couldn't lift my head from the pillow. My daughter rang 111 and 8 hours later a doctor came and said they would like me to go and get checked at arrowe park hospital.
An ambulance was called and 6 hours later it arrived. Ambulance drivers were amazing.
On arrival I was turned away from the ward due to lack of staff. I was then taken down and put in the hall way for at least 2 hours. The time was 2am. I then got transferred to a bay. Left there for an hour then a nurse came and took my blood pressure ect. They then said nurse would take my blood soon. Another hour passed and the nurse said to another nurse bay 9 needs bloods taken, I know they said then proceeded continue their conversation with a taxi driver.
I eventually got my bloods taken then moved to another bay. An hour passed there then a doctor came examined me and said we have no beds so your best going home. You have a viral infection. We can ring you a taxi, I said I would ring my daughter, the doctor walked off and when I said my daughter is coming they said ok and turned away. I said where do I go please the doctor said through to the waiting room, a nurse then came and showed me the way. I had to ask the staff to remove a drip needle from my arm as they left it in me and told me to leave. Whilst they walked ahead I walked behind clinging on to the sides as my head was spinning and I was very off balance.
The nurse showed me to the waiting room and said take care. I was not supported or assisted in any way even though it was clear I was unable to even walk independently. The fact I came in via an ambulance bed as my mobility had deteriorated did not seem to matter. Then my daughter parked outside and came in to help me to the car.
Arrowe park hospital made me feel that I was wasting their time. The nurses I saw were at the nurses station a lot and it seemed like there was no consideration for patient in bays. Absolutely disgusting. I'm never ill and I work full time. I am now going to go private. I understand the hospitals are in a critical time but respect and basic empathy costs nothing.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 02 April 2017 using Care Opinion

Patient Experience Support Officer, Patient Experience, North West Ambulance Service replied on 11 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of using North West Ambulance Service. I am sorry to hear that some of the elements of care that you received were not as you expected however I was pleased to hear that the ambulance crew that attended to you were 'amazing.'
I hope you have now recovered from your illness and would like to send you best wishes for the future.
Many Thanks