East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust

0115 884 5000 1 Horizon Place, Mellors Way, Nottingham Business Park , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG8 6PY

Paul Thompson gave East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Massive thank you

Can't thank enough to the 2 crews who looked after me today 13.10.17. Super people who we should all be proud to have in our paramedic service. These guys are under a lot of pressure but they have the character and skill and determination to deal with it and they are 100% dedicated to providing brilliant and courteous care. As one said to me, the job satisfaction in helping someone in a time of need is enormous. These people have passion and courage which is enviable and admirable. Thank you all. I sincerely hope this makes its way to your control hq and that you all get a big well done and thank you from your managers too.Kind regards Paul Thompson Wellingborough

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 13 October 2017

The Maverick reviewed East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust

The excellent care I received after having a mini stroke.

One morning I lost all sensation on the left side of my body whilst in the shower. I collapsed and my wife immediately called 999. The ambulance arrived quickly and I was taken to A&E at Lincoln County Hospital. Quickly after arrival I was given a CT scan which confirmed I had had a mini stroke. After the doctor had discussed the options with myself and my wife I was thrombolysed. I was regularly monitored whilst in hospital and I made good progress every day until my discharge two days later. The day after being discharged I was visited by my case manager from the ADSS. I had first class care from the ambulance staff , from the staff in A&E and from the staff on the stroke unit. All my many questions were answered which helped to put my mind at rest and throughout my stay in hospital I was kept informed of my progress. I continue to improve whilst at home.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 13 October 2017 using Care Opinion

Zobow27 reviewed East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust

I feel like no one believes me

I have been suffering with pain in my left side on my back rids chest and up to my hips for some time then last week I was woken in he middle of the night with very Sharpe pains in my chest and back we then rang 111 and they sent a ambulance out to me I was made feel a bit horrible by one of the paramedics as I explain my pains and also then was asked about what tablets I am and I explain I was asked if I suffer from anything I said about my panic attacks, anxiety and depression and waiting to see if I suffer from pdst went arrived at hospital I got out bed in to other and the pain was so sore again that I was crying and the same paramedic said to the other paramedic I know what it is so then one paramedic watched the nurse do my bloods why the one that made me feel horrible was talking to the doctors on about mental health about another member of staff than had to go and see, this made me feel like they was saying that it's a mental health issues I was then checked off my xray scans and mri ct scan from before was all checked over and my bloods where OK so was sent home to be told go to doctors so now I feel like no one believes me about these pains

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 11 September 2017 using Care Opinion

East Midlands Ambulance Service replied on 14 September 2017

Dear Zobow27
I am sorry to read your experience and would like us to look into this for you. Can you send the date, time and location of the call to our Patient Experience team please via this email - emas.pals@nhs.net, including that the initial call was made to the NHS111 service.
I do hope you start to feel and get better soon.
Melanie Wright, Deputy Director of Communications

Janice Harvey gave East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

The dedication and commitment of the ambulance service

On Wednesday the 15th September 2017 I dialled 999 for an ambulance when my husband collapsed at home. The person I spoke to was calm and asked for details of his condition and asked me to describe his breathing and responses. They informed me the ambulance was on its way. Unfortunately my husband died that morning but I have nothing but praise for sheer tenacity and effort if all the ambulance personnel. They tried very hard to resusitate my husband, very hard indeed whilst colleagues gathered information and showed care for my welfare and kept me focused on what I needed to do. I cannot thank them enough for all their efforts they were a dedicated committed team. At the hospital doctors explained my husband could not be resusitated. Whilst there I was showed nothing but care and compassion by all the staff I came in contact with. My son was travelling up from London and not due to arrive till after 2 pm so I was allowed to wait in a room with my husband and other family members near to resus until he arrived. Whilst devastated. At losing my husband I am so grateful to everyone who I spoke to or came in contact with. My husband David Harvey.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 17 September 2017

East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust replied on 02 October 2017

Dear Mrs Harvey,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience of our service at what I can imagine is a difficult time. My sincere condolences to you and your family for your loss.

It is heart warming to read that colleagues from East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) – from our 999 call takers to our ambulance crews - were able to able to demonstrate such professionalism, care and consideration to patients and their loved ones, particularly during stressful and traumatic circumstances that you have described.

We would like share the positive feedback with all the EMAS team involved. In order to do we need some additional information. Could you please send the date, time and location for the call to our Patient Experience team via telephone on 0333 012 4216 or email emas.pals@nhs.net.

The feedback regarding the hospital can be raised directly with the relevant PALS team at the hospital.

With best wishes,

Paul Benton (EMAS Deputy Director of Quality)

Bills here reviewed East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust

Heart attack

It all started one Saturday I was sanding the old emulsion of the ceiling in my bedroom getting it ready for filling the cracks in sanding it smooth and ready for re emulsioning.
At the time I felt fit and well then all of a sudden out the blue. I got this horrendous pain in the centre of my chest. I got off the ladder went in to the living room to where my wife was after pacing up and down for a while I told my wife get my GTN spray quickly. After taking 3 sprays in 5 minute intervals and the pain not showing any signs of subsiding she dialled 999 for an ambulance part of the way through the call her emergency phone went off and it was Emas call centre asking my wife to attend chest pain patient as she is a first responder in our area ha ha.
She had them log her off duty and shortly after the fire engine arrived with 2 more responders in it between them they tried to sort my pain out but to no avail. 35 minutes later the Ambulance arrived with a paramedic and he done a ecg on me then informed me that I was having a heart attack and then put a canular in my wrist the ambulance crew then put me in the ambulance where he could administer morphine he told the technician to take us straight to Lincoln with blues and twos on.
On the long journey the paramedic gave me more morphine and then dia morphine still the horrendous pain would not go in the slightest 12 minutes away from the hospital he radioed through and gave them an updated eta so they could be ready for me. On arrival they rushed me down to the operating theatre where lots of people were waiting for me I was put straight on to a bed and operated on instantly the surgeon said I am not wasting time explaining things I need to get on very quickly and he did.
After the operation I was told I had suffered a massive heart attack and all the right side of my heart has been damaged. I was taken to a ward and was really cared for I would go as far as to say first class service was given from the onset to the end when I was discharged Thank goodness for our NHS and a big thank you

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 26 September 2017 using Care Opinion

East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust replied on 15 October 2017

Dear Bills,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and praise our staff who attended you. I am delighted to read that my colleagues helped save your life! I would like to share the positive feedback with all involved in the response to the 999 call, and to do that we need a bit more information. Could you please send the details of your call including time, date and address the ambulance was called to, to our Patient Advice and Liaison Service – emas.pals@nhs.net. We will also then be able to pass on your praise to the fire responders involved.

I hope you are recovering well and would also like to thank your wife for her support to our service through her Community First Responder volunteering.

Kind Regards,

Richard Hunter, Ambulance Operations Manager for Lincolnshire

Janet reviewed East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust

Minor stroke TIA

My 73 yrs old husband suffered a TIA at 1700 hrs 9th August 2017. He lost use of his arm and leg on the left side, the two paramedics who attended were very professional, knowledgable and reassuring. I cannot thank them enough, excellent work ,we were taken to Northampton general hospital resuscitation dept ,where we were met by an excellent nurse, two doctors who soon assessed his condition . Overnight stay in Eleanor ward, home 1400 next day .
Thank you to all staff who looked after Richard, he is taking his new medication and doing well. He now has full function again.
Janet.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 11 August 2017

East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust replied on 15 September 2017

Dear Janet,

I am always delighted to hear about the outstanding care and professionalism that my team demonstrate when attending patients. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I also like to share the positive feedback with all involved in the response to the 999 call, and to do that we need a bit more information. It would be really helpful if you could they send the date, time and location of the call to our Patient Experience team at emas.pals@nhs.net.

With regards to your positive comments relating to the nurse and doctors at Northampton General Hospital, please forward full details to their Patient Experience team pals@ngh.nhs.uk and they can look into it for you.

With kind regards,
Mark Gregory
EMAS General Manager, Northamptonshire and Leicestershire & Rutland Division

Straight talker reviewed East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust

Waiting times

I had to take my daughter to Lincoln hospital after we waited three hours for an ambulance that called us back to say there was 26 other priorities in front of us. After waiting three hours and then adding an hour journey to Lincoln because our hospital is closed as our staff were sent to Lincoln.
We had to wait for over 4 hours to be seen, adding on the hour journey home it took 9 hours to resolve this. The waiting room have no TV, no radio, no magazines so your forced to sit staring at all the other unwell people. There was babies and small children having to wait hours to be seen, I think this level of service is unacceptable it was like being in an American film where an out real has happened so everyone is just left there until someone finally comes along to help.
I also think the parking charges are disgraceful noone wants to pay a fortune to park somewhere they don't want to be. I am embarrassed this is how our country has got that in an emergency you can no longer have care in the way in a couple of minutes. The doctor we saw was good.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 21 August 2017 using Care Opinion

East Midlands Ambulance Service replied on 25 August 2017

Dear Straight talker
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us; I am sorry that your daughter experienced a lengthy wait for an ambulance to provide transport to hospital.
We would like a few more details to help us better understand the circumstances and to allow us to see why we weren't able to get to you sooner. If you are willing to share more information please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) via telephone number 0333 012 4216 or email emas.pals@nhs.net, or via the address displayed on our Patient Experience web page here - http://www.emas.nhs.uk/your-service/patient-experience/
I hope your daughter is making a good recovery, and thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us.
Melanie Wright
Deputy Director of Communications

JohnnyQ reviewed East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust

incredibly caring, compassionate and reassuring.

We would to place on record our massive thanks and appreciation for the superb care provided by staff at the Queens Medical Centre, who have a done an amazing job of putting our son back together after he fell through a 20 foot barn roof.
The staff involved in our son’s care have included:
East Midlands Trauma Centre Team: Dr Murphy (who, with her brilliant manner, instantly made us feel there was no better place for our son to be), Dr Keillor, Erica and the other nurses working on that evening.
Orthopaedics team: Dominik (our son has warmed to Dominik’s unique sense of humour, which has inspired his recovery) and Dr Marson (who was unstintingly confident and cheerful).
Nottingham Children's Hospital: The nursing staff on Ward D34 the nursing staff working in the outpatient clinics – Janet, Laura and especially Julie and Chloe who have got our son through some painful moments (gas & air is now on the Christmas list).
All of these staff have not only demonstrated faultless professionalism and competence, but have also been incredibly caring, compassionate and reassuring. What has been very impressive is that their communication with us all has been note-perfect every step of the way.
They are credit to the NHS and Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, which clearly values its staff.
Please pass on our thanks and gratitude to these lovely people.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 09 September 2017 using Care Opinion

East Midlands Ambulance Service replied on 14 September 2017

Dear JohnnyQ
Thank you for including our organisation name in this post.
It sounds like a horrific incident and as such I'm sure our ambulance colleagues too will be pleased to hear that your son is making progress and that you are very complimentary of the NHS care received.
If you're able to send the date, time and location for the 999 call to our Patient Experience Team via emas.pals@nhs.net (or phone or mail - details via http://www.emas.nhs.uk/your-service/patient-experience/) we can identify the ambulance crew and call handler that dealt with and responded to the call, and share your praise with them.
Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and praise.
Melanie Wright, Deputy Director of Communications

Martyn St Peters gave East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Best Ambulance staff

I had a sudden and unforeseen illness if I may call it that but that's not important what was great is two professional ambulance staff members which new what to do every step of the way, they made me feel comfortable and supported me right through to the A&E. We phoned and within about 15 min they were there ready to help. Thank you to two angels send by God to help us on earth.
I'm well and still don't understand what happened with me but i'm fine now and I believe this could not have been achieved without my two guardian angels. Thank you seems too little for what you did.

Stay great God bless.

Martyn

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 22 July 2017

East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust replied on 25 July 2017

Dear Martyn

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am glad that our crew were able to make you feel comfortable whilst they looked after you. We would appreciate you sharing your experience with our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team with as much detail as you can (e.g. date, time and location). They will be able to identify the crew who cared for you that day and will then be able to share your thanks with them. You may contact them via telephone on 0333 012 4216 or email emas.pals@nhs.net.

I hope that you are making a good recovery.

Best wishes

Annie Palmer
Communications Manager

Anonymous reviewed East Midlands Ambulance Service NHS Trust

So comforting to my husband

My husband was taken ill, being in great pain, feeling very ill and in distress after returning home from Indonesia on 25 June 2017. The ambulance was called which arrived within 5 minutes. The two ambulance crew were brilliant - reassuring, comforting and treated his immediate needs. They communicated and explained things well and with care. I would like to thank them for their professional attitude. After a week of hospital treatment my husband is making good progress and beginning to feel better and is now at home.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 04 July 2017