Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

0113 855 5000 2150 Century Way, Thorpe Park , Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS15 8ZB

annoyed12345 reviewed Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Not at all patient centered

[Very unhappy with 'Appointments']

My mental health worker at malham house, works part time, I also have a job but some how I am expected to miss work to suit their schedule. I was not given a choice about who I see, or what times I am available, I work the same 4 days each week, and it would have been easier to assign me to someone that works on the days I am off.
[Unhappy with 'Staff attitude']
I was left feeling sub human, like my needs are irrelevant. I cant ever contact my key worker over the phone because they are always in meeting, or not yet there when it opens at 9am, and at lunch time they are out of the building.
Many people have jobs,and therefore there should be some provision to allow patients to contact their key worker without having to take extra time off work.I have been trying to contact my key worker for over 2 weeks, I even left work early on 3 occasions. The receptionist is unhelpful just say they do not my workers schedule.
I am not asking for 24/7 avaliability, but not being able to even speak to your key worker over the phone for 2 weeks is very wrong!PALs is frustrating too due to their limited opening hours, the phone line opens late, closes early, and is also closed during lunch time.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 21 October 2017 using Care Opinion

JAYL reviewed Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Felt ignored in a crisis Mental Health Trust

I came to this Trust this March with an existing diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder made and unchallenged by a different mental health trust for about 10 years.
On being put in Hawthorne House for approximately 8 days and seeing a Dr there once who was not a Consultant, they then decided all of the Consultants at my previous trust were wrong. and according to them, I had always been misdiagnosed.
I was suicidal at the time so they assumed that I was self harming and I was totally ignored and not offered any anti depressant medication. This was not fleeting but had been going on for some weeks. The second time I saw them at discharge again for about ten minutes they ignored me when I stated I was suicidal I was discharged with no support at all because they decided I had EUPD. Which according to this trust suddenly appeared at the age of 53. I attempted suicide and had other symptoms which were ignored.
Three times, the police had to take me into the hospital before they actually did anything to help me because they assumed I self harm because of this diagnosis they gave me and according to them I am not depressed but do things for attention. I have more or less been told I am a liar. I don't according to them hear voices and am not psychotic. According to them I will recover from this disorder if I socialise more and go out and in about one year I will be like I was ten years ago according to them. This is condescending. I have told this trust that my mental health has become a lot worse for the past 4-5 years. to the point I have no motivation to do the things I once did, and have been ignored. I have previously been sectioned for major depression with psychosis but according to them I am not depressed. They are so determined to keep me in this diagnosis they gave me that they ignore absolutely everything I tell them and how difficult things are for me. This evening I phoned their crisis team and was also ignored. I feel that they treat me as if I am a nuisance.
Also I have received my mental health care records from Leeds York Partnership Foundation mental health trust from Hawthorne House Leeds West ICS.
I was sent to that intensive community service with a referral of mixed states bipolar and then depression with psychosis from my CMHT.
The first hour or so I was there and the first visit the Consultant tore up the prescription from my community Dr and stated -lets wait and see. This is a service where people are sent as an alternative to hospital so are sent for a reason, that being their mental health has deteriorated. So in the meantime, I was some sort of psychiatric guinea pig and left. I was then told by the same Consultant that according to them, my current state which had already lasted for weeks had apparently been caused by moving house almost a year before! I don't think so. I was sent back to my CMHT after about one week with basically a diagnosis of a temporary moving house disorder, not my existing diagnosis of bipolar which I was reffered with and which I had for over 10 years with a previous trust, or depression and I was non medicated.
My notes state according to the Consultant there, that I should not be on that unit because according to them the stress of my being there was making me worse. Untrue. I was told by the Consultant to come to the unit or not, to attend classes or not. This is supposed to be a day hospital. I have read their notes and although I was feeling suicidally depressed I was put on their green team because, they considered me to not have a mental illness. I was so depressed that I did not want to join their activity groups and this was seen as my being "difficult to engage" and actually viewed as part of that EUPD. At no point did I feel they actually even noticed I was depressed, simply because I was actually walking around. I was told after spending a night in hospital after taking alcohol with meds to make my own way there the next day. On being discharged about 7 days later, I told this Dr that I was still feeling suicidal. The medication I said had not after 2-3 weeks helped a great deal with my low mood, no motivation, my lack of personal care, or suicidal thoughts. I was discharged with no support at all and it was a Friday so no CMHT. Their uncaring attitude is appalling, as is the comments they have made about me in my medical notes.
Absolutely disgusting is my view. That diagnosis is now on my medical records as is their untrue comments and presumptions about me, because in my view they are more concerned about fitting me into their incorrect diagnostic box than they are in actually treating my symptoms. If their idea is to treat the symptoms of someone with clinical depression and planned suicide ideas is to basically ignore them and leave them to act on it them. I find them uncaring, unhelpful, generally unpleasant and makes statements in medical notes that are libellous. I am not the first person to have their diagnosis changed whilst at this unit either.
If I were EUPD then I would not have periods of stability and unstability when I am not on psychiatric medication. Nor would my moods sometimes come on for no reason. They insist on finding every excuse possible for the reason my mood symptoms started in March and there was none. I know myself and moods and it was nothing to do with a house move or anything else.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 28 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Miss S. reviewed Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Leeds crisis team

I went to my Gp to talk about my mental health crisis and I was sat there sobbing my eyes out to the lovely doctor she was really under standing she then given me 2 options one was sending me to a and e and the other was ring the crisis team so I agreed for to call the crisis team.
Well that's when things got worse because the crisis team showed no compassion towards me at all. They call me and spoken about my issues then said to me that no mental health services will be of any help ( even though I told them I was highly suicidal) and that I just need to continue distracting myself even though the person on the phone agreed that it does not even work. I was on the phone to them for a hour and Bear in mind they are only triage and refused me a face to face assessment and even any follow up but ( I do not have any service involvement at all not under cnht ) they just said call connect helpline and call dial house tomorrow night ( which are really amazing service they really know how to connect with you when you are in a crisis ) but they know that it is more then 24 hours away before dial house is open and that you are not guaranteed a place becouse of limited places
I feel so stuck and alone in a time where I really need help and support the crisis team has made me feel more worthless and totally Beyond help from all services
I think that they don't know how to deal with people that have had complex trauma difficult in the past that affected my present on a daily basis
I think the crisis team do not give a crap about my safety at all.
I am now left feeling more suicidal and even more beyond help that to the Leeds and York partnerships foundation trust Leeds crisis team.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 06 July 2017 using Care Opinion

PALS, Complaints & Claims Manager, Leeds and York NHS Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 July 2017

First of all thank you for taking the time to contact us via this posting site. I was so saddened to read of your experiences and what must feel like a systematic failure for you. It is clear how frustrated and scared you must be feeling.
I wonder if you would find it helpful to talk things through with our PALS team, who might be able to make a few suggestions as to how we can improve our relationship with you and ensure that you get the help that you are looking for. I am sure that they will be able to access some appropriate support for you. I do not want to leave you feeling as though no one cares and nobody is there to support you.
The telephone number for PALS is 0800 052 5790 or via email on pals.lypft@nhs.net and I am sure you would find a friendly response.

Intimidated Patient reviewed Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

I feel intimidated

I made a complaint about the care I was receiving.
The centre manager promptly dealt with my concerns and things got better.
When I saw my consultant, they said that I lacked insight about how complaining would make my key worker feel, and that I seemed very angry, and that was a problem.
I was not angry, I complained because something was going wrong, I feel my complaint was justified, and the right changes were made.
Now I feel intimidated, and unable to stand up for myself if something else makes me feel uncomfortable. Healthcare workers are in a position of trust, and the often deal with vulnerable patients. In situations like mine the healthcare worker holds a fair amount of power being able to raise concerns without fear of judgement or it impacting future care, should be a patient's right.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 28 June 2017 using Care Opinion

Andrew Howorth, Head of Patient Experience, Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 05 July 2017

I am so very sorry to read this posting, as it raises a very serious concern. What you have said you were told by your doctor directly contradicts the Trust position on Complaints. People should feel supported and enabled to make complaints if they believe that their care is poor. You should not be made to feel guilty or intimidated as a result of complaining. It was really good to hear that things had improved as a result of your complaint, and the position that you feel you are now in with your doctor is very disappointing. Please accept my apology for this. As a Trust we are open and transparent and want to learn from peoples experiences. It takes courage sometimes to challenge professionals, and to make a complaint. Well done and please do continue to speak out if things are not right.
If you want some support with this please contact our PALs team who are always willing to listen and support, their telephone number is 0800 052 5790

yummy1 reviewed Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Hearing voices group at the becklin centre

this group run by Jonh is great because it enables me to talk openly and honestly in a safe space where people support me.
john and his colleague have helped me immensely and I am grateful for their intervention work they have done.
the location of this group is at the becklin centre in leeds

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 03 April 2017 using Care Opinion

Andrew Howorth, Head of Patient Experience, Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 April 2017

Dear Yummy1
Thank you for taking the trouble to write this post, it is good to know that you are finding it helpful, and you are right, John does have a very supportive and gentle approach that many have remarked upon.
I will make sure that John reads your comment's and I wish you well in your journey towards recovery.
With very kind regards

d swab reviewed Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

In need of support

I have a long history of mental health problems and contacted the team for some help.
I feel like the member I spoke to was not helpful at all they asked me why I had contacted them and not my cpn then told me to contact connect or dial house.
At no point did the person ask me wot was wrong or offer me any kind of support and I just think that from my experience the crisis service is not fit for purpose.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 19 April 2017 using Care Opinion

Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 April 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience of the Crisis Assessment Service. I am sorry to hear you have had a negative experience.

Unfortunately on a public website, such as this, it is not appropriate to go into personal or clinical details. However, if you to discuss your concerns further please contact our PALS service on 0800 052 5790 or pals.lypft@nhs.net.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

(PALS, Complaints & Claims Manager)

Anonymous gave Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Mental health care in leeds 2017

The initial crisis team were great - knowledgeable kind gentle and caring
Made me feel listened to and safe dispite my great distress.
My initial contact with the intensive community service team was good. A care plan and then a safety plan - but much confusion about how I was to be helped and then a succession of visits - going over the same ground each time.
The doctor was very good - explained things well and gave me medication
The regular visits were never the same person twice in a row. Going over and over the same ground. All very gentle and caring - but disjointed and disappointing. The care plan never completed. A 3 page safety plan given but not filled in - two paras only. I made the rest up after seeing a private counsellor.
V poor communication with gp - only written to once discharged - after warning numerous times I was facing known crises in the near future. Off hand admin staff also spoil the feel of what should be a caring service.
What does one need to do to get listened too??

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 20 May 2017

Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 May 2017

Thank you for your feedback and I have shared your positive comments with staff. It is very satisfying for staff to hear how they have made such a difference.

However, I am disappointed to read that at some point along your journey you have been experiencing difficulties and as a result, feel that some of our services have not been fully supportive.

That is not what we would want anyone to experience when using our services. We do take comments extremely seriously and would like the opportunity to look into your concerns further.

Given that this is a public website, it would not be appropriate to discuss this further on here with you. It would be helpful if you could contact our PALS team who would be happy to have a chat with you about your experiences.

They can be contacted on 0800 052 5790 or email pals.lypft@nhs.net

Thank you again for your feedback.

(PALS, Complaints & Claims Manager)

The only health service that makes patients worse instead

The CMHT made my anxiety and depression worse. I wish I had never been referred to them, and things only started improving once I chose not to engage with them. I decided to look at my records and I was shocked by what was written. I don't even know were to start, so I will only list the things that I think should never happen.

1. No patient involvement in treatment.

THE CMHT prescribe drugs by CPN's telling the psychiatrist what they think should happen. As a result I was prescribed a drug that was contra-indicated for patients with heart conditions like mine, luckily my GP noticed and told me not take it. I told my CPN that I could not take it and they documented that I was "non compliant and unwilling to be on medication". If it was more routine for psychiatrists to discuss medications with patients this could have been avoided, but I was assigned to a part time psychiatrist who was only at Malham House one day a week.

2. Racism

My hair was described as matted and unkempt therefore meaning I am failing to self care. I am mixed race and have naturaly unrully afro hair, that has always been in braids that get re-done weekly. This is a perfectly normal hair routine for people of my ethenicity, and else has called it untidy or unkempt.

3. Poor contingency planning.

When staff are away nothing gets done. When my key worker was on leave and I had a break down, no one knew my history, and they just said I would have to wait till they got back to find out what my care plan was. When I needed a new prescription, my key worker could only get hold of my consultant on 1 day a week. And for 3 consecutive weeks they "kept running out of time" it took them a month to get hold of my consultant to ask a simple question. This would never happen with physical health were patient records can be accessed by other staff members.

4. Lack of acountability

When things go wrong its a case of staff member vs patient. And staff always insit they are right, and people with mental health conditions are less likely to be believed. There are no safeguards for this. At other mental health trusts I have been treated in, all sessions have been audio recorded.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 05 August 2017

Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Aire Court LADS

I have recently had an assessment by the Leeds Autism Diagnostic Service. I self referred for the assessment through the common access point, but referals can also be made by health professionals. I was very impressed by all the members of staff with whom I had contact. This process is by its very nature stressful, but all staff were friendly, calm, reassuring and professional. This is an outstanding example of an adult autism assessment service and is active in research and development of a relatively new area of service provision.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 26 October 2016

Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 October 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to post this. It is always encouraging to hear when things go well, and people receive the service they are expecting. We have passed your comments on to the LADS team, and they are very encouraged to read your post.
I hope that you continue to get the support that you are looking for and that you are able to achieve all your goals.
With very best wishes
Andrew Howorth (head of patient experience)

Sarah gave Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

My care at st Mary's and Hawthorne house

I am under the care of st Mary's mental Health team and all I can say is they are all wonderful people and the care I receive is of the highest standard. I recently had to be transfers over to hawthorne house and they are all brilliant, the support and care I received was second to none, I can't praise them and st Mary's team on a whole enough, my care is still ongoing but I know I'm with the best team. I know it's not much but I want to say a massive thank you, and thank you in advance for my future care :)
Many thanks
Sarah xx

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 19 June 2016

Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 25 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding the care you are receiving.

It is really encouraging to hear how having the right support and guidance can make a huge difference.

The feedback you have provided is very welcomed and I will pass on your positive comments to all of the staff as I am sure they will be delighted with your feedback.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences with us.

PALS, Complaints & Claims Manager