Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

01278 432000 2nd Floor, Mallard Court, Express Park, Bristol Road , Bridgwater, Somerset, TA6 4RN

Betty 19472 reviewed Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

District Nurses have not turned up

My mum is close to the end of her life and is suffering from multiple conditions including lung and brain cancer.
She has chosen to die at home and is in the last weekend of her life. She requires 24 hour care most of which is being provided by her family.
We have found the end of life care system to be full of compassionate competent people however three times we have been let down by District Nurses simply not turning up. I have just had to chase for the third time as we were promised one would visit this morning. My Mums waking time and time where she has energy to eat and wash is limited so we have to work very carefully so she is in the right place to cope with the District Nurses coming, on this case to give an suppository. The person on the phone whilst professional wasn’t particularly sympathetic or helpful or apologetic.
Is there something wrong with the communications systems or have we just been unlucky. Surely a patient in my Mum’s state is a priority?

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 13 October 2017 using Care Opinion

Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 October 2017

Thank you for your feedback, I am extremely sorry to read about the issues you and your family have been facing during this difficult time. We would like to look into things in more detail for you to ascertain what may have happened with your Mother's care. Please could you contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01278 432022 or email us on pals@sompar.nhs.uk
Our operational hours are Monday to Friday 09.00-17.00 (excluding bank holidays).

With kind regards,

Anonymous gave Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Mental health services what a let down

Referred for mental health assessment by doctor.all they did was send me to talking therapies been 8 weeks struggling to cope and not even a oppointment to see a mental health person .what have you got to do to get help what a joke....

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 07 September 2017

Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 September 2017

Good morning
Thank you for writing about your recent experience of our mental health services. I was really sorry to read that you don't feel that you are receiving the best support at the moment. The PALS team would really like to look into this for you but in order for this to happen we will need some personal details from you so if you would like to call the PALS team on Tel:01278 432022 or email us at pals@sompar.nhs.uk we will be able to help you further.

Anonymous reviewed Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Very poor

Mental health Somerset is very poor my daughter has been left in the cold she can't cope with day to day life she as no real support and when i try to help i get told she has to do it herself which she can't do so if anyone care with in mental health can you please help us as you have let us down you can email me at the address below

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 20 August 2017

Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 September 2017

Hello
Thank you for posting your comments on this website. I am very sorry to read that your daughter is having such a difficult time at the moment. The Patient Advice and Liaison Service, PALS, would like to look into this matter for you but in order to do so, we will need further information. In your posting you refer to your email address, however, as this is a public website and an anonymous one, this has not been displayed so could I ask you to contact the PALS team either by telephone on 01278 432022 or by emailing us at pals@sompar.nhs.uk. We will see what we can do to help when we have further contact from you. Please do be aware however, if your daughter is over 12 years of age and able to give consent, we may not be able to share any information about any support or care that she is receiving from our Trust. This will not prevent us from sharing your concerns with a service that your daughter has access to.

We will wait to hear from you again.

2244 gave Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Abandoned

I only found out that I had been discharged after phoned up to see why I hadn't been sent a date for my monthly appointment with psychiatrist. No discussion or involvement with any decisions made about my care. This came after I had repeatedly asked for support and had not been given any help. My mental health has been badly affected by this. I will be bringing a formal complaint, but in the meantime I am left without any support. I am disgusted with the lack of care and compassion.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 26 May 2017

Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 May 2017

I am very sorry to read about your experience. I would like to help you with your issues, but would need some more detail about which service you are referring to, and about yourself. Please could you contact the PALS team on 01278 432022 or email us pals@sompar.nhs.uk with these details.
We can then liaise with the service on your behalf to see whether some resolution can be made.

With best wishes,

Emma gave Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Talk Therapy

I suffer "Emotionally Unstable Personality disorder". Medication wasn't really working for me so I'm currently unmedicated. I started Talk Therapy last November after a 6 month wait which was meant to be only 12 weeks. My Therapist was lovely but the 9 50 minute sessions was not enough. My Therapist tried to get me on secondary care but was rejected, I can't do CBT because i still self harm and have suicidal tendencies and apparently I'm not bad enough for DBT!!!
I had famy and friends but I can't talk to them. I have the number for the crisis team but I'm scared of mKing phone calls. I'm left with trying to deal with this disorder alone andafter reading such poor reviews on the Mental Health Team in Taunton I'm scared of contacting anti a else for help through gear of being ignored like all the other poor people that have left bad reviews.
My condition is getting worse yet no help is being offered to me. Clearly this is a postcode lottery and Taunton are not part of it. I need help.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 05 June 2017

Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 June 2017

Thank you very much for writing a comment online to us, I am sorry to read you are feeling unwell. I have spoken to the head of the Talking Therapies service and they have advised you refer back to the service to see if they can offer any more help. You can make this referral online https://www.somersettalkingtherapies.nhs.uk/

If you would like assistance in doing this, please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) by emailing pals@sompar.nhs.uk

Your GP would also be a good person to go and see if you feel your health is deteriorating as they can (if appropriate) make referrals into our mental health services.

With kind regards,

Anonymous gave Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding

I have been a patient with this service for 5 years.. I have never felt better looked after.. I was in camhs for years and anxious about the transition . Staff have gone beyond there role to support me. I would absolutely recommend this service to both friends and family.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 05 October 2016

Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 October 2016

Thank you for your lovely feedback about our service, we are always pleased to hear from our patients and are happy that the transition was so positive. If you get a moment, I would be very grateful if you could email me on pals@sompar.nhs.uk to let me know which team you saw so I can forward this to the service to share with the team, very best wishes, Jenny from PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service)

Maudie gave Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Wouldn't recommend

I wouldn't recommend services in foundation house community mental health teams. My experience of this service was that the attitudes of nursing staff like care coordinators could be bothered, turned up late for appointments and missing appointments without letting anyone know. They wanted to discharge people who were not well back into the community making patients get ill again repeatedly and ended up worse in a vicious cycle of no benefit to anyone

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 10 October 2016

Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 October 2016

Hi there, my name is Jenny and I work in the PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service). I am really sorry to hear your feedback about the Community Mental Health Team from Foundation House - if you would like me to investigate this for you, you are very welcome to contact me on pals@sompar.nhs.uk or by telephone, 01278 432022 and we can look into it for you. In the meantime, I will share your feedback with the service. Very best wishes, Jenny.

Anonymous gave Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Unlikely to recommend

I was treated without respect and found the staff on the week I was an inpatient unhelpful. I would not recommend mental health services in Somerset to anyone I know.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 20 October 2016

Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 24 October 2016

I am very sorry to hear that you had a negative experience whilst on one of our wards. If you would like us to look into this matter further then please feel free to contact the PALS service either by emailing us at PALS@sompar.nhs.uk or call us on 01278 432 022

Thank you very much, the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team

Anonymous reviewed Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

There is not mental health service

Talking Therapies have stated to me on several occasions after numerous referrals over a course of years that I am a "complex presentation" and "beyond the scope of their service" and every time refer me to CMHT/secondary care. Every time I have an assessment with CMHT I am told I should be with TT/primary care then I go back to TT/primary care and bounced back to secondary care/CMHT and on, and on it goes. I am being continually bounced from services without ever actually receiving any form of care, support or treatment. In that time I have been in A&E as a suicide risk and even whilst in hospital refused crisis support and not given any follow up support after discharge every time I have been admitted. I have already made complaints through PAL's, spoken to the recovery manager all to no avail. PALs have proven to be bias and unhelpful in ensuring there is no failure of service or that duty law is being upheld which it patently is not. In amongst all this I have been formally diagnosed with agoraphobia F40.0 and EUPD/BPD F60.3 but still refused all access to all levels of care. There is no recourse or protections in place for mental health patients. There is a clear failure and breach of duty of care and judging by the other reviews given there is clearly a systemic institutional failure with mental health services as a whole. Wholly unacceptable, unprofessional and irresponsible.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 21 October 2016

Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 24 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about some of our services. I am sorry that you have not had a positive experience, and I will pass your comments onto management. Without any details we are unable to look into these concerns specifically, however please do feel free to contact the PALS team at any point pals@sompar.nhs.uk 01278 432022. Alternatively, if you do not wish to contact PALS you may find it a good idea to contact the SWAN advocacy service, who are an independent service, and will act upon the patient's behalf to ensure that all of your concerns are listened to by the appropriate NHS staff. You can contact them by calling 0333 3447928 or emailing somerset@swanadvocacy.org.uk

Sara reviewed Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Foundation house Taunton crisis care

I had to telephone 999 because I could not get the mental care I needed over last weekend. I was taken to musgrove park lacking capacity and was allied to walk out because the crisis team couldn't be bothered to turn up. They gave a feeble excuse about lack of staff. Just lucky the police were around and spotted me, who gave me time to say how I was feeling. The police don't have to do this but they were exceptional just as south western ambulance trust.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 08 August 2016

Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 August 2016

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write of your recent experience of the community mental health team in Taunton. I was very sorry to read of your experience and can only apologise that the service did not provide a standard of care that the Trust would expect. This is something that I would like to investigate on your behalf so if you are happy for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service, PALS, to take this matter further I will need some personal details. Please could you provide your full name, date of birth and address and I will start looking into this as soon as possible. You can contact the PALS team if you would like to discuss your experience further by either telephoning us on 10278 432022 or email us at pals@sompar.nhs.uk.
PALS team.