Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

01244 397397 Trust Headquarters Redesmere, Countess of Chester Health Park, Liverpool Road , Chester, Cheshire, CH2 1BQ

Anonymous gave Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Review of Service

Today i visited the Highfield Centre at VCH Wallasey with my son who has mental health issues. Our GP referred him after him self harming and threatening suicide. His mental health issues have been ongoing for at least the last six years despite having both private counselling i paid for and nhs counselling comprising of 8 sessions we waited nearly a year for. We spent an hour and a half as my son went through all his issues only for the assessment visit to conclude with us being given a leaflet for self referral to a charitable local counselling service with some cost involved. In other words you are expected to arrange your own therapy and pay for it. I am disgusted. If this is mental health services provision it is an absolute joke. Whoever structured and designed this set up ought to be ashamed.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 01 August 2017

Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 August 2017

Good morning

I'm very sorry to read about your experience. I would like to look into this further and pass your concerns onto the appropriate team. If you would be happy for me to do this, please contact PALS on 0800 195 4462.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service Officer

Neglected for nearly a year!!

I have been neglected and let down by the CWP for nearly a year now! I saw my psychiatrist in October 2016 and informed them about how low I was feeling and about how much I was struggling and after my appointment my psychiatrist told me I would be seen again in 2-3 months! I waited and waited for a letter to come with a date for my next appointment and it finally came in March 2017, five months after I was last seen!! Then shortly afterwards another letter came telling me it had been cancelled, I phoned up and pleaded for help and a new appointment and I was told that another appointment had been made for me in July 2017, nine months after I was last seen!! Again I waited and waited for a letter to come with the date of my appointment and no letter came so I phoned up in the first week of July and asked about my appointment because I had been told it had been rescheduled for July 2017 and I was told the appointment in July had been cancelled again and a new appointment had been made for me in October 2017 which will be 1 year after I last saw my psychiatrist!! I asked if the appointment could be sooner as you have already cancelled it twice and it has been 9 months since I last saw my psychiatrist and the receptionist was very rude and sarcastic to me I even told them that I am really struggling to cope at the moment and feel really desperate and I was told you will just have to wait till October till your appointment, which is another three months away and I don't even know if they will keep this appointment or cancel it again!! I feel like I have just been completely abandoned by the CWP and left to cope alone without any help or support whatsoever, the CWP blatantly do not care about me or the state of my mental health otherwise they would not have left it for 1 year until my psychiatrist next sees me as I was quite clearly told in my last appointment that I would be seen in 2-3 months!!
Shame on the CWP for the terrible service that they are providing to vulnerable people in need of help!!

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 25 July 2017

Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 July 2017

Good afternoon

I am very sorry to hear that your experience with our services has been distressing. I would like to look into these concerns further for you. If this is something you would be happy for me to do, please contact PALS on 0800 195 4462.

Anonymous reviewed Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Wording of your appointment letter

My teenage son has just received a first appointment letter for physiotherapy. Is it necessary for the letter to have such a threatening tone? "If you do not attend this appointment, you may be discharged from the Service and your GP will be informed of your non-attendance." What on earth is this about? We would never miss a medical appointment and I don't want to receive a letter implying that we would. I am not surprised that such a letter was not signed by one of your staff. Please re-consider your approach and treat patients with more respect. We all lead busy lives and some of us are organised.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 24 August 2016

Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Hales reviewed Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

A year waiting

I've been waiting a year and still no luck in getting any counselling. I've been my doctors twice now and all they say is that they will keep ringing. I'm at the point now where I'm looking to pay for my own but its expensive and I don't make that much at work.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 15 May 2017 using Care Opinion

Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 May 2017

Good afternoon,

I am very sorry to read about your concerns and I would like to look into this further. Please can you ring PALS on 0800 195 4462 so that I can get some more information from you and try to resolve your concerns?

Patient Advice and Liaison Service Officer

Abominable - not fit for purpose - appauling lack of care!!!

The 'service' such as it is is an abomination! After reading these reviews I feel that an internal investigation is way way overdue. First of all the positives - there has to be some! There is one particular consultant psychiatrist at Jocelyn Solly resource centre who is excellent - kind, caring, highly intelligent, and treats clients with dignity and respect, who does not patronise or condescend. Equally the reception staff at Jocelyn Solly resource centre - warm, welcoming staff... Now for the negatives... now where do I begin...?!!? A few days ago I was taken to Macclesfield hospital by the police and ambulance staff, as a patient in extreme crisis... I encountered a lovely, understanding ambulance member of staff and a member of staff from the psych liason team who was very kind and empathic. However, when they mentioned they would get in touch with the Community Mental Health Team and insist that I was allocated a care co-ordinator my heart sank, and I felt like I'd returned to square one. Since then, over 4 days ago, I have had absolutely no contact with the CMHT, until today. I spoke to a member of staff who manages the team. No mention of my admission to hospital, no enquiries as to my welfare, just a nasty snide attitude regarding a previous appointment I had had, which concluded badly - I was in a highly agitated state and the member of staff was not mindful of this, and continued dictating the 'checklist' ("... on a scale of one to ten how anxious would you say you are...?" '11!!!') - this staff member paid no heed to my heightened anxious state, and when I alluded to a lack of experience (a student) they told me I was being rude. I was then accused by the CMHT manager of being 'intimidating and abusive'. I wholly resented the allegation, and I told them so. They weren't in the room, and had no proof of the accusations. This member of staff vilified me, and made me feel utterly worthless. This is par for the course with Macclesfield CMHT - making their patients feel as if they have no value, and their words/feelings/experiences count for nothing. They care not a jot that someone is frightened/vulnerable and in a very desperate situation. Maybe it is battle fatigue, but I feel that the majority of the staff - the social work staff - should be working on a factory floor, or in a battery farm; that is the extent of their sensitivity and empathy they demonstrate to their clients. I have been let down continually by the CMHT - I am in dire circumstances regarding my housing. My housing officer has made exhaustive attempts to contact my care co-ordinator (what a joke that job title is). In their words... "after the tenth attempt at trying to contact Jocelyn Solly you kind of give up". I have had no support whatsoever. Quite simply they are not a service, and for desperate clients such as myself they offer nothing but cold cruel indifference.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 22 July 2016

Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 July 2016

Dear Anonymous,

Firstly may I say how sorry I was to read of your feedback, in particular around your comments in relation to our members of staff. We would welcome the opportunity to find out more about your experience in the hope that we can learn from it and also identify any actions that may need to take place.

I would also like to find out further details around the doctor who you describe as excellent. We can then ensure that this feedback is shared with them and their manager. We can also share your feedback around the positive contact you have received from the staff at our Jocelyn Solly Resource Centre.

If you can contact us by either emailing pals@cwp.nhs.uk or telephoning 0800 195 4462 and I hope we can talk more.

Helen Chadwick
PALS, Complaints and Incidents Team

No accountability

CWP don't respond to concerns when they say they will, which would be fine if they just made contact to explain why any form of response is taking longer than expected. No-one seems to be held accountable, whether they are doctors or administrative staff: everyone blames each other if something goes wrong. CWP really need to improve communication with patients. Whilst trying to access some support it appears that some of my medical records are electronic, and some on paper, and there seems to be no dialogue between the two. I believe this has affected my care, or lack of it. Every staff member who works at CWP needs to be made aware that they're dealing with people in a time of difficulty, and they have chosen to enter a profession where they will need to be able to deal with these people, so at the very least they should do what they say they will do. Don't make promises otherwise.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 23 July 2016

Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 July 2016

Dear Anonymous,

I am very sorry to read of your feedback and for the poor communication you describe. I would be grateful if you can contact us either by emailing pals@cwp.nhs.uk or calling 0800 195 4462 in the hope that I can confirm some details with you and hopefully look into this matter further.

Helen Chadwick

Anonymous reviewed Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

poor caring and poor support

Sadly, i have a couple of family members who suffer from serious mental health difficulties, and have had to deal with CWP regularly for years The way CWP treat service users and their families and carers is appalling; they regularly shun service users / patients and ignore the views and requests for help made by family members. Caring for my loved ones continues to be a daily struggle and has been extremely difficult for many years. As a result of the strain and trauma that I have experienced trying to care for my loved ones on my own I am now suffering from mental health difficulties myself.

I will be writing to the Secretary of State and to my MP shortly with a full explanation and documented evidence regarding the lack of support and poor caring by CWP. At least I will know that i've done everything I can to try to help my loved ones.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 16 May 2016

Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 May 2016

Dear Anonymous,

I am very sorry that you have needed to bring this to our attention and that both you and your family have experienced a poor level of service. We would welcome the opportunity to talk about this further with you in the hope that we can understand your patient journey and that of your family to hopefully learn how we can improve your experience.

If you could contact me on 0800 195 4462 or email us at pals@cwp.nhs.uk then I can hopefully take some further details from you.

Again, I am sorry for the distress both you and other family members have experienced and I do hope to speak to you in the very near future.

PALS Officer

Completely abandoned me after a suicide attempt

I was admitted to Macclesfield Hospital after a suicide attempt. I saw a psychiatrist from Cheshire and Wirral. They talked to me for about an hour, said they would refer me to IAPT and gave me a number to contact. I waited for weeks and didn't get a letter. I tried calling the number but it rang out. I contacted the IAPT service directly and was told they'd never received a referral. They arranged a phone consultation, but then I got a phone call from a person who told me I should never have been referred to the service because they only treat moderate patients and having attempted suicide meant I wasn't eligible for mental health treatment! I asked what services they had for suicidal patients and they said none. They then contacted my GP without asking my consent or informing me to say I'd been discharged from their services because I had plans to move out of the area. I made a complaint to the PHSO, who were absolutely useless. The trust lied to them by saying they'd only discharged me because of the plans to move and saying the phone conversation never took place. The PHSO believed them, not me. The only thing the trust did say was that the psychiatrist didn't refer me to IAPT as they promised because of 'human error', which I suppose means they were too lazy to write a letter. I was OK because my parents paid for private therapy for me, but other people in the area don't have those resources and have no option but Cheshire and Wirral's terrible service. They ought to be ashamed of themselves. I know the NHS is underfunded, but these aren't the actions of people trying their best, these are the actions of people who don't bother to get the basics of their jobs right. It's morally disgusting that they feel entitled to take money from the parts of the NHS that are trying to deliver a good service and sit around on it doing absolutely nothing.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 22 December 2016

Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 December 2016

I am so very sorry to hear that you have experienced this from our service. I would definitely like to look into this further to try and resolve this for you. If you could call the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0800 195 4462 or alternatively email us at Pals@cwp.nhs.uk.

Samantha Humphries
Carer Advice and Liaison Service Officer

I Fail to see what exactly the crisis team do

I have been put in touch with the cheshire mental health crisis team twice in recent months at Chester A&E. I have been told I would be offered support but I have still been left alone to deal with eveything that is gong on. Even in court the mental health team have claimed they are giving me on going support yet I haven't seen of heard from anyone in weeks, and when I do ring when in crisis all they do is phone the police which, quite frankly has just made things a million times worse. It seems that this is their standard response. I asked them to sort out some anti depressants that actually work, they did nothing. I've told them I'm frightneed of how I feel, they've done nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the suicide rate has increased greatly in cheshire as a result of the lack of care for people in crisis. They blame the patient when you become frustrated with the situation and punish you when you are honest and open about how you feel. They do nothing to encourage the development of a trusting relationship, infact quite the opposite. They only ever hear the negative things you say.

My advice to anyone feeling depressed in the cheshire area would be avoid the mental health team. They will only make your situation worse. It's all about lip service and being seen to fullfill government guideline while not actually providing any sort of care or support

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 09 January 2016

Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 January 2016

Dear Anonymous,

I am very sorry to read of your distress and lack of response from our services when you required help and support. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly to hopefully take a few details from you so that we may look into your concerns further. I would be grateful if you can contact me on 0800 195 4462 or through our email address of pals@cwp.nhs.uk so that I can hopefully see how I could help you during this difficult period.

Kind regards.

Appalling

Appalling. there is simply no mental health treatment available whatsoever.
After a suicide attempt, I was on a waiting list for over a year to be offered 6 sessions of CBT which the therapist then cancelled without informing me after the 4th session.
I was hospitalised in the Bowmere once after another crisis, only to be sent home the next day to my abusive family situation.
I have been simply sent home from A & E multiple times when suicidal with the excuse that 'sorry, there are no beds available'.

I nearly lost my life because of the incompetence of this organisation.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 01 December 2015

Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 December 2015

Dear Anonymous,

I am very sorry to read of your experience, in particular that you were discharged from our Bowmere Unit to an abusive situation. This is very concerning to me and I would be grateful if you can contact me so that I may be able to take a few details from you and look into this matter further.

I can be contacted by calling 0800 195 4462 or emailing pals@cwp.nhs.uk

I do hope that we may be able to speak soon about your experiences.