Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

0300 304 0100 Swandean, Arundel Road , Worthing, West Sussex, BN13 3EP

Anonymous gave Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Total lack of compassion

I suffer from BPD or as it's more kindly know, ' emotionally unstable personality disorder'. I was feeling suicidal and my Mother called an Ambulance to take me to see the Mental Health Liaison Team at the Royal Sussex County Hospital. The person I saw basically just shrugged their shoulders when I said I was feeling suicidal. They didn't smile, tell me not to worry, nothing? They just said I should go back home? The very next day, my parents took me to a private hospital and the psychiatrist there said I was indeed having a psychotic episode and needed to be admitted into a facility. The psychiatrist said that he hears horror stories about the NHS Mental Health Liaison Team all of the time. If you can't afford private help, you, like me are in deep trouble. The Mental Health Liaison Team are totally inept. It was a truly repugnant experience that I wouldn't wish on anybody. Never again....

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 05 October 2017

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 October 2017

Dear Sir or Madam
I am sorry to read that you had a bad experience in A&E Department at the Royal Sussex County Hospital with the Mental Health Liaison team and you did not feel supported.

I would recommend that you contact PALS for Sussex Partnership Foundation Trust and register your concerns so that is can be fully investigated.
Telephone: 0300 304 2198
Email: pals@sussexpartnership.nhs.uk

Yours faithfully,

Elena Riseborough
Team Leader
Mental Health Liaison

Anonymous reviewed Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Husband

For people in crisis the service seems quite laboured. My husband has been suicidal feb 2016 when his mother died and the feeling of loss built up to the same in june so doctor re-referred him to spring vale - he is not new to them. it took 8 wks to be seen and set up regular ccling sessions-there is nothing but a volunteer cnclr?? No DRs just mental. health nurses??
How can a psn wth mental health problems contact you. there is no direct contact no for the counsellor he saw you have to wade through the website. its not user friendly. my husband does not have the tolerance to find who he needs. he cant read or write has 18 illness /disabl and we will be homeless on 1st may 10 days time unless i get diagnosis for Autism and other lnn disab. there is no urgency about diagnosing him so we are suffering day to day as well. it was urgent when i told you 17th march. we need 1 thing Team Assessment for autism and other mental illness.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 22 April 2017

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 July 2017

I’m the Service Manager responsible for the Adult Community Mental Health Service at Springvale. I’m sorry to hear that your experience of accessing our service has not been positive. We do employ a multi-disciplinary team, including medical staff and we all strive to work together to deliver a high quality service. Usually, contact details of how to get in touch with our service go out to all outpatients, including how to access us in a crisis. I’d like to look into your complaint but don’t have your details. If you’d like to make contact with me, you can contact me 01444 416606 or email me Glen.McCready@sussexpartnership.nhs.uk; or if you’d prefer, contact our complaints team on Complaints@sussexpartnership.nhs.uk; or call them on 01903 843200.

A&E43 reviewed Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

I think they have gone above and beyond the required visits

The Crisis Resolution Home Treatment Team at Millview has helped me very much indeed.
I was referred after taking an overdose. My diagnosis is BPD. It's difficult living with this diagnosis at times and life had got completely on top of me.
This week the team has visited almost every day, and considering how busy they are I think they have gone above and beyond the required visits.
I have struggled with accepting care over the past year and have not been the easiest of patients. I know I was angry with two staff members who came out on one occasion but I have to think of it from their perspective. I'd drunk alcohol, not much by most people's standards, but for me it was enough to trigger self harm and I most probably seemed quite drunk. These staff members were coming out to see someone, me, who for all they knew could have put them in danger. I have thought about this a lot and have decided that I can't drink alcohol as it leads to self harm and if I've got people taking the time to come out and help me, then I need to take responsibility for making sure they feel safe.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 12 February 2017 using Care Opinion

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 February 2017

Dear A&E43

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I will ensure they are shared with the team.

Simon Street, Complaints & PALS Manager

ptsd lady reviewed Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Now I have no one to talk to

I was referred a year ago to the bedale centre in Bognor Regis by time to talk because they felt my needs were to complex for time to talk which upset me very much as in the past I only ever needed counselling. I went to the bedale centre saw a Psychiatrist, they were very kind and helpful and then unfortunately I was told they left and was not coming back. I then saw another Psychiatrist who I did not feel listened to me in between this I was meant to have a support worker who left and a referral to a psychologist. Again by the time I got to see the psychologist months later and was leaving to.
I then had a formulation done which I found very stressful and upsetting to bring up alot of things from my past. The whole time I waited to see someone I met with head of complaints alot was promised by the team leader at the bedale centre in front of my advocate.
I have since had to move home and was discharged because I could not make an appointment during the move however I have found out that the reason I was discharged was because I apparently said I found the appointments to stressful which is not true in fact at times and I have the emails to prove it I literally begged to see someone at the bedale centre.
Now time to talk will not see me and I have no one to talk to about my ptsd and anxiety.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 14 March 2017 using Care Opinion

Simon Street, Complaints and PALS manager, Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 March 2017

We are very sorry that you remain unhappy with the care received at the Bedale Centre and that you feel left alone with your experiences. We always aim to offer the best service we can for each individual but we appreciate that it may not always feel that way.
As you are aware there are local helplines and services which offer support to people with mental health needs including the Mental Health Helpline 0300 5000 101, Samaritans 116 123, My Sisters House (for women) 01243 679800.

Anonymous gave Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Chilling lack of knowledge, skills, insight and compassion

There are some exceptionally good people working in this mental health service. They will know who they are.

One of the main problems with this service is the lack of access to psychiatrists and the scarcity of psychologists. Consequently nurses, social workers, occupational therapists and support workers are given a significant level of responsibility for assessing and managing the position of acutely distressed people. It is evident from my experience that some staff are woefully limited in their capacity to handle this responsibility and their lack of skills, knowledge, insight and compassion is inevitably causing harm to those most vulnerable of patients.

A single example of this, and I could reference many, many more, was the highly dismissive attitude demonstrated by liaison staff in A& E, the Crisis Team and the Recovery Team in response to my daughter's suicidal thoughts and intentions.

As I said, there are some very, very good staff and they will know who they are. I would rather the Trust didn't respond by thanking me for pointing this out. I would rather they focused on the damage being caused by poor staffing levels and staff incompetence..

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 12 February 2018

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 February 2018

Dear Sir or Madam
It would be very helpful to us in addressing the problems that you have laid out to have details of the incidents so that we can investigate them formally. Please would you contact our complaints service who will be able to help https://www.sussexpartnership.nhs.uk/complaints-and-views These pages lay out the range of options to raise concerns about the trust including where to get independent help in raising concerns
kind regards
Rachael Kenny
Participation Team
Sussex Partnership

meganD reviewed Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Excellent care mental health

I had a mental health break down due to circumstances. I was feeling so low and had planned to kill myself. I was referred to crht eastbourne and it changed my life. I was regularly visited by a nurse leanne who was so caring and supportive. I could not see a way out however she gave me the hope I needed to get through. If it wasn't for crht and leanne I believe that I would have ended my life. Leanne listened was caring but also gave me the push I needed to start doing things. I and my family can't not thank her enough

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 16 April 2017 using Care Opinion

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 April 2017

Dear MeganD
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and it is great to read your post. Our staff appreciate hearing back about positive experiences and your message has been passed directly to Leanne. Our aim is to also support people to make informed choices about treatment, focusing on their strengths and helping them with their recovery and wellbeing and I wish you well for the future.
Karen Hoskin, Deputy Director Adult Services - East Sussex