Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

0300 304 0100 Swandean, Arundel Road , Worthing, West Sussex, BN13 3EP

ptsd lady reviewed Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Now I have no one to talk to

I was referred a year ago to the bedale centre in Bognor Regis by time to talk because they felt my needs were to complex for time to talk which upset me very much as in the past I only ever needed counselling. I went to the bedale centre saw a Psychiatrist, they were very kind and helpful and then unfortunately I was told they left and was not coming back. I then saw another Psychiatrist who I did not feel listened to me in between this I was meant to have a support worker who left and a referral to a psychologist. Again by the time I got to see the psychologist months later and was leaving to.
I then had a formulation done which I found very stressful and upsetting to bring up alot of things from my past. The whole time I waited to see someone I met with head of complaints alot was promised by the team leader at the bedale centre in front of my advocate.
I have since had to move home and was discharged because I could not make an appointment during the move however I have found out that the reason I was discharged was because I apparently said I found the appointments to stressful which is not true in fact at times and I have the emails to prove it I literally begged to see someone at the bedale centre.
Now time to talk will not see me and I have no one to talk to about my ptsd and anxiety.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 14 March 2017 using Care Opinion

Simon Street, Complaints and PALS manager, Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 March 2017

We are very sorry that you remain unhappy with the care received at the Bedale Centre and that you feel left alone with your experiences. We always aim to offer the best service we can for each individual but we appreciate that it may not always feel that way.
As you are aware there are local helplines and services which offer support to people with mental health needs including the Mental Health Helpline 0300 5000 101, Samaritans 116 123, My Sisters House (for women) 01243 679800.

Anonymous gave Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Chilling lack of knowledge, skills, insight and compassion

There are some exceptionally good people working in this mental health service. They will know who they are.

One of the main problems with this service is the lack of access to psychiatrists and the scarcity of psychologists. Consequently nurses, social workers, occupational therapists and support workers are given a significant level of responsibility for assessing and managing the position of acutely distressed people. It is evident from my experience that some staff are woefully limited in their capacity to handle this responsibility and their lack of skills, knowledge, insight and compassion is inevitably causing harm to those most vulnerable of patients.

A single example of this, and I could reference many, many more, was the highly dismissive attitude demonstrated by liaison staff in A& E, the Crisis Team and the Recovery Team in response to my daughter's suicidal thoughts and intentions.

As I said, there are some very, very good staff and they will know who they are. I would rather the Trust didn't respond by thanking me for pointing this out. I would rather they focused on the damage being caused by poor staffing levels and staff incompetence..

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 12 February 2018

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 February 2018

Dear Sir or Madam
It would be very helpful to us in addressing the problems that you have laid out to have details of the incidents so that we can investigate them formally. Please would you contact our complaints service who will be able to help https://www.sussexpartnership.nhs.uk/complaints-and-views These pages lay out the range of options to raise concerns about the trust including where to get independent help in raising concerns
kind regards
Rachael Kenny
Participation Team
Sussex Partnership

meganD reviewed Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Excellent care mental health

I had a mental health break down due to circumstances. I was feeling so low and had planned to kill myself. I was referred to crht eastbourne and it changed my life. I was regularly visited by a nurse leanne who was so caring and supportive. I could not see a way out however she gave me the hope I needed to get through. If it wasn't for crht and leanne I believe that I would have ended my life. Leanne listened was caring but also gave me the push I needed to start doing things. I and my family can't not thank her enough

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 16 April 2017 using Care Opinion

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 April 2017

Dear MeganD
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and it is great to read your post. Our staff appreciate hearing back about positive experiences and your message has been passed directly to Leanne. Our aim is to also support people to make informed choices about treatment, focusing on their strengths and helping them with their recovery and wellbeing and I wish you well for the future.
Karen Hoskin, Deputy Director Adult Services - East Sussex

Anita reviewed Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

136 suite Conaught Hospital Hastings

I was taken by police to the 136 suite at Hastings a few days ago and wanted to leave some comments and constructive feedback. My diagnosis is Borderline Personality Disorder, it's not been easy lately trying to live with this diagnosis and things just got on top of me. I also used to work with people with this diagnosis and know how challenging and sometimes frustrating it can be caring for people with BPD. I took offence at some things one staff member said, but having thought about it I think they may have been carrying the frustration for the whole team, that's the way we would have thought about it. In reality this member of staff was just being human and in fact I think they're really very skilled and an asset to that unit. I was treated with great kindness and the staff were extremely patient and vigilant regards risk. Basically I'm still not ok but it gave me the space and time to think about my situation and try and move forward. The only thing I'd say is that it might help to get more training and supervision re BPD, I don't mean this as insulting. Staff members may burn out if they are working with people with Personality Disorder at the acute end, with all the difficulties this presents. Some training and supervision might help put some perspective on these difficulties. I think there are training organisations led by service users who have BPD and I'd say this would be ideal. Specialist services like the unit I used to work in (therapeutic community) used to offer staff supervision on a massive scale due to the complexities of working with people with my diagnosis. please don't skimp on training and supervision, the staff deserve this, and I wish them well. Thanks, Anita

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 04 January 2017

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 January 2017

Dear A&E43

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions. I will ensure these are shared with the team.

Simon Street
Complaints & PALS Manager

Totally fed up mum!! reviewed Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Putting lifes at risk again!!!!!!

I phoned east brighton metal health services 3 weeks ago with regard to my son whom has chronic mental health problems, He was hearing voices wanted to take his own life i pleaded for help and was told from a place that was there to help him ring your gp thats how its works now!!!! So i took him to his gp who was shocked that no one from the east brighton team would see him as he was in a crisis... My gp sent a letter asking that he be seen.. I got a phone call this week from the east brighton mht team saying we can see him on the 28/11/16 next week so i told them that if you dont see him this week i will make a scene outside your offices... Well 1 hour later they called me back saying that he can be seen today so i took him... Now wait for it ??? He gets seen by a mental health O/T who did not know his history insults him by asking what does he do with his days and to add insult to injury ask me if i work... Well apart from being disabled myself and caring for my son 24/7. Just shows you how much help they are..NOT!!! So i got up with my son and left the room only for the O/T to follow us out pleading for us to return in the end i said stop waffling love your making a fool of yourself... Well Sussex mental health looks like another fine mess staff have got into... What another written apology letter on its way like the last time your service failed him...mmmm cant wait

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 17 November 2016

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 November 2016

I was sorry to read of your dissatisfaction with your recent contact with our services. It would not be appropriate to discuss your son's case on a public website but we would be pleased to look into your comments to see what can be done to support your son and improve his experience of our services in the future. Please call the Patient Advice Liaison service on 0300 304 2198 or email pals@sussexpartnership.nhs.uk with further details so that we can look into this.

Anonymous gave Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

With gods help I'll beat this affliction (not from SPFT)

Neglect from SPFT and wrong diagnosis twice, uncaring attitude.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 02 October 2016

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 November 2016

Thank you for your comment regarding your recent contact with our services. We would welcome the opportunity to look into your concerns and improve your experience of our services. Please contact our PALS department on 0300 304 2198 or email pals@sussexpartnership.nhs.uk with further details.

David gave Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

What a circus!

This is my third attempt to leave a review,, My friend is supposed to be under the care of a Mental Health team in Littlehampton. I am very shocked as to what appears to be happening? He was in a very distressed state when I last spoke with him two weeks ago as his dog had recently died, He was also having serious issues with his P.T.S.D. which he suffers from as a result of working in various conflict zones world wide. I know he has been trying to get to just speak with some one from his care team as he is getting worse, but they appear not to be interested! I have even attempted to speak with some one from something called the Mental Health Help line, they were of no help, just told me to call the Police if I have concerns about my friend. God help the people under the care of these people!

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 06 September 2016

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 November 2016

Thank you for your comments in relation to gaining help for your friend. Whilst it would not be appropriate to comment on your friends case on a public website I hope he is now receiving the care he needs. Should you have any further concerns please contact the PALS department on 0300 304 2198 or email pals@sussexpartnership.nhs.uk

Mike gave Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Total despair...........I do not know where to turn?

I have been under the care of the team at Peperville House for several years; the last year has been what I can only describe as a nightmare. One example being my CPN was absent for various reasons, so did not see them for nearly two & a half months. I attempted to get to see someone else as I was having major trauma & flash backs due to my housing situation. I was informed it was best to wait for my CPN to return. Being told I pretty much had to get on with it or call the Mental Health Help line.
Then about two weeks ago, I finally got to see my CPN only to be told I was now stable & would be discharged after doing some thing called the “Recovery Pathway” with an Occupational Therapist? There was no discussion or way of any real information or explanation, my fears & concerns were just brushed aside, but what was telling, I was told the rationale for really being discharged was they need to make room for other people…………In have only ever found my CPN to be abrupt, dismissive & more disturbing, accusatorial, I state this with no reserve! My first two CPNs were lovely. Having been in full employment all my life-Human Skeletal Osteologist- until I started to suffer from PTSD some five years ago, I feel I have been treated in a humiliating, degrading & bullying fashion. Considering myself to be some what educated & articulate, I fear for the poor patients who just get told what is going to happen. I am now very scared of what the future holds, all my aims were to try and recover & return to work.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 27 September 2016

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 November 2016

I was sorry to read of your experience of our services at Pepperville House and we would welcome the opportunity to look into your concerns in more detail to see how we can improve your experience in the future. Please contact our PALS department on 0300 304 2198 or email pals@sussexpartnership.nhs.uk with further details.