Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

0300 304 0100 Swandean, Arundel Road , Worthing, West Sussex, BN13 3EP

Stuart Wells gave Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Dermatology Photodynamic therapy (PDT)

Following PDT treatment at The Princess Royal Hospital, Haywards Heath today Wednesday 6th September 2017, I would like to express complete satisfaction at the focused attention by the nurse specialist.

The advice, care and personal attention by the nurse was first class and much appreciated.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 06 September 2017

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 September 2017

Thank you for your positive comments about a service that is based at the same site as Sussex Partnership's mental health services - I will pass the praise to the DPT team
kind regards
Rachael Kenny
Head of Involvement
Sussex Partnership

Anonymous gave Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Kind and thorough consultation

Very impressed with the recent consultation by the doctor with my husband and myself. We had met before in 2013/14 and requested a further visit via our GP to allay our fears. All aspects of our concerns were listened to and a full report back was received within days. We were both reassured that we were doing all the right things and a few more suggestions were made to make life easier for us both. At no time were we under the impression that we were wasting valuable NHS resources . Thank you

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 10 June 2017

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 July 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to give this feedback. It really helps to hear when we get things right. Best Wishes, Bryan Lynch (Deputy Director of People Participation)

Anonymous reviewed Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Same old rubbish, Same old let downs, Just a new CEO!!!!!

Same old rubbish, Same old let downs, Just a new CEO...

My son and I had a meeting with his GP and psychiatrist in our GP surgery on the 19th may 2017 and was promised a referral to hearing voices clinic also a new CPN has he had no faith in Brighton mental health services after being let down on so many occasions that the former CEO wrote a letter of apology.

So it's now the 14th June 2017 and still waiting, so come on Chief Executive all your departments busy doing nothing. Loads of meetings about meetings but its the poor carers and the mentally ill that don't have a legal obligation of duty of care, but you do!!

Constantly bad or poor service promises not kept!!!

OMG Just got a call from the manger of hearing voices clinic amazing that said would your son like an appointment!!!!! Wow shake enough trees and amazed at what falls out!!!!

So like I told your PA call me if your brave enough and hear it from the carers that so call matters!!!!

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 14 June 2017

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your experience and I am really sorry for the problems you have had again. The Trust does recognise the role that carers have to play and the need to support them. We have recently appointed a Carer leader to make good on this commitment and she let me know that work was happening in partnership with the Carer Centre in Brighton to
Increase identification of friend and family carers Improve local services, particularly when someone experiences a mental health crisis Increase referrals to Carer Orgs so that friend and family carers receive support in their caring role Provide wellbeing courses for friend and family carers Provide training to staff on how to improve their involvement with friend and family carers Improve information sharing with friend and family carers, particularly when dealing with confidential matters
The contact details for The Carers Centre for Brighton and Hove are Tel. 01273 746 222 email. info@thecarerscentre.org

Once again I am sorry for the stress and irritation you have had
Rachael Kenny, Head of Involvement

Anonymous reviewed Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Department of Psychiatry, Eastbourne, East Sussex.

My husband has been an in- patient on the male ward on and off for 17 years. There have been many changes over this time; some good, some not. There have been a few staff changes over the least two years and some of the newer staff disappointingly have a hands-off, abrupt approach, which is unhelpful, unnecessary and I believe counter-productive. These particular staff seem to engage little with the patients, preferring to be in the office. At times it's been difficult for me to be able to ask after my husbands progress and when I have, I've received the briefest of responses, such as "he's fine". To be fair this is not true of all the staff, but it definitely is with some. I don't feel 'kept informed'. I have had to inform staff of different aspects of my husband health or any issues. The response I receive to this depends on which member of staff is on duty. There also seems little interest how his 'leave' has gone, whether it be for a couple of hours, or for a longer period. It's rare that anyone shows any particular interest.

There are very few activities. There is a table-tennis table, which serves 3 wards, but that seems to be it. There used to be a pool table, enjoyed by both male and female patients, but this has now gone.. It was good to have an activity with a slower, relaxed pace. Any other activities are posted on the walls in the ward. In fact, there's a great deal of paperwork on the walls, some I suspect has been there forever - rules, information, policy - you name it, it'll be on the walls somewhere. Does anyone read it - Can anyone read it? My husband can't; he's too ill.. can't concentrate, too much to take in.. it's just too much. Could not the staff personally inform patients of any activities? Surely this would both encourage them in it and facilitate engagement?
The once pleasant little courtyard garden has been turned into a concrete nothingness - concrete ground and 4 walls. Not a plant or flower in site. Sparrows and other birds used to visit the garden and they were a lovely site, as were the flowers. My husband loves nature and used to look at the flowers and watch the birds; now there's nothing to look at. It's empty, entirely un-stimulating and depressing - on a psychiatric unit!

To the staff who do try to engage with the patients, who do care & do keep an eye on their whole welfare & well-being, I am very, very grateful. For those who don't, all I can say is, it shows. We entrust them into your care; they are our loved ones - very precious to us, vulnerable, afraid, ill. Men & women, each with their own personality, hopes, fears - and dreams.. Please; don't employ those who don't care.

I am grateful to my husband's psychiatrist, who sought a second opinion - and esp. to the doctor, of Langley Green Hosp. who drove to E/B on their Saturday and spent over 2 hrs of theirs time talking to me. I didn't think anyone cared anymore. Their willingness, their care & their Report, invaluable! Thank you!!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 13 May 2017

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback. It is really important to hear such rich views as this genuinely helps us learn from people who use our services.
You are absolutely right in your view of the importance of you as a family member or identified carer is extremely valuable and your contribution to supporting your loved ones recovery and sharing with the team your experience is so critical to shaping future planning of care together. I am sorry that this has not always been your experience and I will offer you assurance that I will share this feedback with the team setting them a team objective to ensure carers are central to the care planning process at all stages 100? of the time.
It is also important to ensure staff balance their time on the ward with administration tasks and should not just be in the office with, as you describe, a hands off approach. A very important part of mental health nursing role is the therapeutic relationship they develop with the people they are caring for. With regards to the feedback in relation to the notice board and activities, once again your views are well made and we are always striving to ensure information is timely without being to much and displayed in a way that is easy to read.
We are in process of updating our welcome packs and I would welcome your contribution on its content to hear your views. If you would like to participate in this please let me know. I will also seek views back from our Patient Council. In relation to activities we do have an activity programme lead by our occupational therapy colleagues and we do strive to make improvements acknowledging we need to make more activities available at weekends and evenings.
I agree that the courtyard is sparse and it would be good to engage in a project to make it more welcoming since we refurbished it. You will be aware that the hospital is smoke free now and I am looking into seeing if we can have some items to create a green gym to help so with some light physical activities and am in process of applying for charitable funds. The reason for removing the pool table was for safety. I really believe in working together as this is so important to support the people we care for as part of their recovery journey; we are going to be working on improving this aspect of our contribution and welcome your feedback contribution please do contact me if you wish to be more directly involved..
May I once again thank you for your feedback,
Karen Hoskin, Deputy Service Director

Anonymous gave Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Total lack of compassion

I suffer from BPD or as it's more kindly know, ' emotionally unstable personality disorder'. I was feeling suicidal and my Mother called an Ambulance to take me to see the Mental Health Liaison Team at the Royal Sussex County Hospital. The person I saw basically just shrugged their shoulders when I said I was feeling suicidal. They didn't smile, tell me not to worry, nothing? They just said I should go back home? The very next day, my parents took me to a private hospital and the psychiatrist there said I was indeed having a psychotic episode and needed to be admitted into a facility. The psychiatrist said that he hears horror stories about the NHS Mental Health Liaison Team all of the time. If you can't afford private help, you, like me are in deep trouble. The Mental Health Liaison Team are totally inept. It was a truly repugnant experience that I wouldn't wish on anybody. Never again....

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 05 October 2017

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 October 2017

Dear Sir or Madam
I am sorry to read that you had a bad experience in A&E Department at the Royal Sussex County Hospital with the Mental Health Liaison team and you did not feel supported.

I would recommend that you contact PALS for Sussex Partnership Foundation Trust and register your concerns so that is can be fully investigated.
Telephone: 0300 304 2198
Email: pals@sussexpartnership.nhs.uk

Yours faithfully,

Elena Riseborough
Team Leader
Mental Health Liaison

Husband

For people in crisis the service seems quite laboured. My husband has been suicidal feb 2016 when his mother died and the feeling of loss built up to the same in june so doctor re-referred him to spring vale - he is not new to them. it took 8 wks to be seen and set up regular ccling sessions-there is nothing but a volunteer cnclr?? No DRs just mental. health nurses??
How can a psn wth mental health problems contact you. there is no direct contact no for the counsellor he saw you have to wade through the website. its not user friendly. my husband does not have the tolerance to find who he needs. he cant read or write has 18 illness /disabl and we will be homeless on 1st may 10 days time unless i get diagnosis for Autism and other lnn disab. there is no urgency about diagnosing him so we are suffering day to day as well. it was urgent when i told you 17th march. we need 1 thing Team Assessment for autism and other mental illness.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 22 April 2017

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 July 2017

I’m the Service Manager responsible for the Adult Community Mental Health Service at Springvale. I’m sorry to hear that your experience of accessing our service has not been positive. We do employ a multi-disciplinary team, including medical staff and we all strive to work together to deliver a high quality service. Usually, contact details of how to get in touch with our service go out to all outpatients, including how to access us in a crisis. I’d like to look into your complaint but don’t have your details. If you’d like to make contact with me, you can contact me 01444 416606 or email me Glen.McCready@sussexpartnership.nhs.uk; or if you’d prefer, contact our complaints team on Complaints@sussexpartnership.nhs.uk; or call them on 01903 843200.

A&E43 reviewed Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

I think they have gone above and beyond the required visits

The Crisis Resolution Home Treatment Team at Millview has helped me very much indeed.
I was referred after taking an overdose. My diagnosis is BPD. It's difficult living with this diagnosis at times and life had got completely on top of me.
This week the team has visited almost every day, and considering how busy they are I think they have gone above and beyond the required visits.
I have struggled with accepting care over the past year and have not been the easiest of patients. I know I was angry with two staff members who came out on one occasion but I have to think of it from their perspective. I'd drunk alcohol, not much by most people's standards, but for me it was enough to trigger self harm and I most probably seemed quite drunk. These staff members were coming out to see someone, me, who for all they knew could have put them in danger. I have thought about this a lot and have decided that I can't drink alcohol as it leads to self harm and if I've got people taking the time to come out and help me, then I need to take responsibility for making sure they feel safe.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 12 February 2017 using Care Opinion

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 February 2017

Dear A&E43

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I will ensure they are shared with the team.

Simon Street, Complaints & PALS Manager

ptsd lady reviewed Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Now I have no one to talk to

I was referred a year ago to the bedale centre in Bognor Regis by time to talk because they felt my needs were to complex for time to talk which upset me very much as in the past I only ever needed counselling. I went to the bedale centre saw a Psychiatrist, they were very kind and helpful and then unfortunately I was told they left and was not coming back. I then saw another Psychiatrist who I did not feel listened to me in between this I was meant to have a support worker who left and a referral to a psychologist. Again by the time I got to see the psychologist months later and was leaving to.
I then had a formulation done which I found very stressful and upsetting to bring up alot of things from my past. The whole time I waited to see someone I met with head of complaints alot was promised by the team leader at the bedale centre in front of my advocate.
I have since had to move home and was discharged because I could not make an appointment during the move however I have found out that the reason I was discharged was because I apparently said I found the appointments to stressful which is not true in fact at times and I have the emails to prove it I literally begged to see someone at the bedale centre.
Now time to talk will not see me and I have no one to talk to about my ptsd and anxiety.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 14 March 2017 using Care Opinion

Simon Street, Complaints and PALS manager, Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 March 2017

We are very sorry that you remain unhappy with the care received at the Bedale Centre and that you feel left alone with your experiences. We always aim to offer the best service we can for each individual but we appreciate that it may not always feel that way.
As you are aware there are local helplines and services which offer support to people with mental health needs including the Mental Health Helpline 0300 5000 101, Samaritans 116 123, My Sisters House (for women) 01243 679800.

meganD reviewed Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

Excellent care mental health

I had a mental health break down due to circumstances. I was feeling so low and had planned to kill myself. I was referred to crht eastbourne and it changed my life. I was regularly visited by a nurse leanne who was so caring and supportive. I could not see a way out however she gave me the hope I needed to get through. If it wasn't for crht and leanne I believe that I would have ended my life. Leanne listened was caring but also gave me the push I needed to start doing things. I and my family can't not thank her enough

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 16 April 2017 using Care Opinion

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 April 2017

Dear MeganD
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and it is great to read your post. Our staff appreciate hearing back about positive experiences and your message has been passed directly to Leanne. Our aim is to also support people to make informed choices about treatment, focusing on their strengths and helping them with their recovery and wellbeing and I wish you well for the future.
Karen Hoskin, Deputy Director Adult Services - East Sussex

Anita reviewed Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

136 suite Conaught Hospital Hastings

I was taken by police to the 136 suite at Hastings a few days ago and wanted to leave some comments and constructive feedback. My diagnosis is Borderline Personality Disorder, it's not been easy lately trying to live with this diagnosis and things just got on top of me. I also used to work with people with this diagnosis and know how challenging and sometimes frustrating it can be caring for people with BPD. I took offence at some things one staff member said, but having thought about it I think they may have been carrying the frustration for the whole team, that's the way we would have thought about it. In reality this member of staff was just being human and in fact I think they're really very skilled and an asset to that unit. I was treated with great kindness and the staff were extremely patient and vigilant regards risk. Basically I'm still not ok but it gave me the space and time to think about my situation and try and move forward. The only thing I'd say is that it might help to get more training and supervision re BPD, I don't mean this as insulting. Staff members may burn out if they are working with people with Personality Disorder at the acute end, with all the difficulties this presents. Some training and supervision might help put some perspective on these difficulties. I think there are training organisations led by service users who have BPD and I'd say this would be ideal. Specialist services like the unit I used to work in (therapeutic community) used to offer staff supervision on a massive scale due to the complexities of working with people with my diagnosis. please don't skimp on training and supervision, the staff deserve this, and I wish them well. Thanks, Anita

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 04 January 2017

Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 January 2017

Dear A&E43

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions. I will ensure these are shared with the team.

Simon Street