Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust

01603 421421 Hellesdon Hospital, Drayton High Road , Norwich, Norfolk, NR6 5BE

Terrible mental health services

The key workers/ care coordinators are usually very nice and can be sometimes helpful. That is the best I can say about the service. They do however throw unnecessary medications at you, fail to listen, cancel your appointments and tell your GP that you made the cancellation. There are many problems with the service and I seriously would recommend people in the area to stay away. For me, my mental health declined seriously during my time with the service. I don't believe this is a coincidence. I honestly wish I'd never gone initially. Very disappointed overall.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 13 December 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

James Heathcliff gave Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Sloppy & lackadaisical - context of carer, not Suffolk pt.

I am more-than-aware that outside the inner cities, the health service is appalling, having seen Kent & Medway Partnership Trust and Sussex Partnership Trust myself, in periods where I have not been under the Oxleas Trust or the South London & Maudsley Trust, so I have factored in a bit of leeway for Norfolk & Suffolk.

But you are leaving an incredibly-isolated lady to her own devices who needs an intensive regime for disassociation, which NICE Guidelines state you need to pursue; this has been going on for ten years.

Whilst the psych for Ipswich is a pleasant lad, 80% of what they say cannot be understood, and a script written-up and sent out.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 27 November 2017

Sticking plaster

Had depression for 7 years, finally plucked up the courage to do something about it last year. The time from initially discussing my mental health with my GP to sitting down with a CBT therapist was in excess of 10 months. During which time I had numerous telephone assessments at each of which I emphasised that my working hours were not very flexible and I needed afternoon appointments, despite this they kept offering me morning appointments at which point I specifically said "do not call me again with morning appointments". All this for 6 45 minute sessions, at the end of which, and this is my main gripe, I asked "so what now?" to which my therapist said "Well, nothing, you're discharged"
"What, no follow up consultation to see how I'm doing and if the treatment is working in 6 months time or suchlike"
"No we don't offer any follow up services"
"So if my mental health continues to deteriorate after I leave here, can I access this service again?"
"No we cant afford to keep open cases, its case closed now"

So essentially your discharged at the end of a pre-determined (by budget I suspect) time period regardless of whether your state of mind has actually improved. There are no reviews, follow up appointments, or any support provided after your allotted time. So there is no way of checking if treatment has been effective or if patients have relapsed, no next step of the process. This is not how to run a mental health provision. If you went to a physio-therapist with chronic back pain, and at the end of 6 sessions you were still in agony, you wouldn't just be sent on your way regardless, alternatives would be investigated, you'd receive treatment until you were actually somewhat better, mental health services should be no different. The greatest shame is that the staff working there are actually very good at their jobs, they're just being completely mis-managed and not being deployed properly.
Despite being on very low income, less than £15000 a year, I'm now having to consider using what little disposable income I have to pay for a private counsellor as the rigmarole you have to go through to access this service is simply not worth what you get from it.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 08 November 2017

Useless!!

Basically don’t bother with the nhs mental health team at chatterton house in kings lynn....the reception staff are extremely rude and after sitting in a side room which was absolutely freezing with NO Heating we were told to await a letter..... 6 wks later it came to say we can’t help you practice what you have learned in the useless cbt sessions from 4 years ago!
So thanks for nothing chatterton house!

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 08 December 2017

Tony Peck gave Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Rubbish Web Site for Carers

So our son is going through an emotional crisis. He needs help & support. Having been through a similar experience 7 years ago, we as parents and carers, also need support to help us cope.
Is there anything on the website about carers? No, when you type in Carers Support into the search, nothing comes up except a load of blank pages & information from 2014.
So, I though I would leave some feedback using the 'contact us' page - oh no that doesn't work either , only way to leave feedback is here or via PALS!
It would seem that the Trust don't care about carers (who actually do most of what the trust is paid to do most of the time!)

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 03 July 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 07 July 2017

We do have more recent carer information on our Trust and Wellbeing internet pages and there should be no blank pages. It is possible that internet connectivity issues at the time may have prevented all revevant information being displayed. But having said that, we are aware that our internet site is not easy to navigate and in need of modernising. We are currently working on this with a view to launching the new site in Spring 2018.
We are committed to supporting carers and are members of the Triangle of Care scheme that sets standards for carer information, support and involvement. We assess ourselves against these standards on a regular basis and take action to address any identified areas of weakness.
As part of the development of the new website, we are working with carers and service users to develop a specific ‘carer information’ page, ready for the launch next spring, and are preparing to run a carers' survey for feedback about what more we can do.
As you have already identified, Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) will be able to help with any queries about carer information and can be contacted via pals@nsft.nhs.uk; phone: 01603 421191 or BT Freephone: 0800 279 7257. The PALS office is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Outside these hours you can leave a message on our PALS voicemail which we aim to respond to the next working day.
Alternatively, you are welcome to contact our Involvement Team, via email to Involvement.Team@nsft.nhs.uk, or telephone to 01603 421414, for informaton about carer support and also if you would be interested in being involved in the development of pages for carers on our new website.

Anonymous gave Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

The team at Waveney cmht , have been very supportive over the last two years . Always ring back , I have a new care co who is very good at there job and generally care . The nsft seem to get a lot of bad reviews and I don't doubt others struggles . The best way forward collaboration which I have with my team . They do a difficult demanding job and nsft should be very supportive and proud of the team at vic house
My struggles are not over and recovery seems a long way off but I to have to take responsibility for that recovery.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 28 July 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 August 2017

Thank you much for taking the time to tell us about your positive experience of our Waveney community team at Victoria House. We know our staff do everything they can to make people’s experience of contact with our services as positive as possible, despite this invariably being at very difficult times in their lives. It is therefore very helpful for staff to receive such feedback and your comments have been shared with the service manager and team.

Anonymous gave Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Nothing offered other than more medication

I visited the psychiatrist after a 3 year gap. Despite previously being told on a IDT meeting I was extremely unwell, the only treatment offered was an increase in medication. I am already taking numerous types of medications.

I was not offered any alternative treatment such as therapy. I raised a number of vulnerable adult issues including emotional, physical & financial abuse. The psychiatrist took no notice of the issues raised & sat there in front of me with a grin on their face.

If medication is the only treatment available to patients this should be explained to patients when they are first referred to the service so they are not disappointed. This trust treats patients using the medical model. I trained as a nurse in the 1990s & such an approach was considered old fashioned & degrading then, let alone in a modern NHS.

Such a a shame the service has deteriorated so much since the merger with Norfolk. It appears the panorama program regarding the trust was right in highlighting the service failures.

Very disappointed & very unhappy with the service. The future looks bleak. More years of depression with no support & people around me taking advantage of me because I have depression.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 25 June 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 June 2017

We are sorry that you had this experience of limited options for treatment being considered and a lack of engagement in exploring the other factors in your life that are impacting on your mental health. This is totally contrary to the work we are doing within the Trust to encourage people to attend our Recovery College that helps people develop the tools and skills to overcome or better cope with ongoing mental health problems. You can find out more about the Recovery College at www.nsft.nhs.uk/Get-involved/Pages/Recovery-College.aspx
We are also introducing something called ‘formulation’ into all assessments we undertake. This approach emphasises the importance of a person’s whole life circumstances and better understanding what is happening to them at any given point in their life. This week we are launching Our Recovery Strategy which emphasis the psycho-social aspects of a person (not just the biological that leads to treatment with medication). We will be holding a recovery strategy event in Ipswich on 22nd September. You can find out more about this event and even book a free place by calling 01603 421414.
Please don’t consider the negative experience you describe as typical – it is not, but suggests we have more work to do to ensure all our staff are using the principles of recovery in their clinical practice.

JL reviewed Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust

CPN off sick, No other visiting service offered...

Unfortunately my CPN, is on sick leave and will not be returning for at least 2 months. I telephoned today, and was eventually put through to a duty desk worker, who I could hardly understand. I stated I needed some support with a housing situation, but also was struggling with a recent physical condition and emotionally, that I would like a visit from my stand in CPN...I was told a referral to a housing organisation could happen, and that I was in the duty desk person not needing a home visit. Truly disgusted at the off handed approach, lack of understanding and no action taken for care in the community. I understand the Community nurses are under immense pressure, staff cut backs, bed cut backs etc. But this impacts on clients. .there is no care in the community anymore, even if a client reaches out...it is only at crises point that some action may be taken, resulting in a traumatic and unnecessary expensive stay in hospital. Why should the governments finances , and Norfolks mental health organisations affect my care???, and hundreds of those in the area. No wonder the county featured so low on recent care reports. Nothing ever changes. Lack of care and therapy in the hospitals or scant /inadequate support outside. Needless suffering, lack of dignity, and deaths are occurring under this system, in a circular system that does nothing to empower and instill confidence in a clients wellbeing....Just despicable service.....

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 29 June 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 June 2017

You are right that demand on our services has seen an upward trend for several years, but unfortunately our staffing numbers have not seen the same increase in resources. Other team members will have their own busy caseloads and therefore limited capacity to cover for absent colleagues. The duty worker system is one way that we manage this, with team members taking it in terns to cover this important role. As you have experienced, the duty worker provides a primarily telephone service. However, this can result in a home visit if the duty workers assess this as necessary.
When a case holding member of the team will be absent for a protracted period, further steps are taken to cover the caseload and ensure continuation of the care plan and agreed support. This may include employing a temporary worker to cover the caseload or sharing between other members of the team. Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) will be able to look into this on your behalf, but would need more information about you to identify the team you are with and the right team manager to approach. PALS can be contacted via pals@nsft.nhs.uk; phone: 01603 421191 or BT Freephone: 0800 279 7257. The PALS office is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Outside these hours you can leave a message on our PALS voicemail which we aim to respond to the next working day.

Anonymous gave Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Access and assessment are lethal to mental health patients.

I have had severe mental health issues most of my life but I’m not receiving the treatment I need. I have spent the past 3 years in a loop of being referred almost monthly by my GP to the Access and Assessment Team for secondary care and having it point blank refused each time with the latest being last week.
The staff who carry out these telephone assessments at the Norfolk/Suffolk AAT are rude, patronizing, argumentative and their 'solutions' and 'advice' is quite frankly moronic to the point I feel I could obtain better care and advice from a PPI cold caller. If I wasn't already well acquainted with the joke that is the Access and Assessment Team I would deem their services as lethal and I truly feel for anyone who has to deal with a particular person as their assessor.
It seems only after you have recently attempted suicide and were lucky enough to survive will you get anywhere near getting in the door of the mental health services which is out right disgusting.
As for the Wellbeings 'limited' services they'll promise you the help and then never contact you again.

This 'to little to late' approach is failing so many people and i dread to think how many lives this charade has cost.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 12 May 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 June 2017

We appreciate your taking the time to tell us about your negative view of our services and we are sorry that you do not consider you have received the response your mental health condition requires. We have Primary Care Link Workers attached to the GP practices in Suffolk and in view of your reporting repeated attempts by your GP to refer you to secondary services, we recommend asking your GP to contact the link worker to discuss what options may be available for you. Alternatively, you are welcome to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who will also be able to advise. PALS can be contacted via pals@nsft.nhs.uk; phone: 01603 421191 or BT Freephone: 0800 279 7257. The PALS office is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Outside these hours you can leave a message on our PALS voicemail which we aim to respond to the next working day.

Crisis team are uselss

Rang the crisis team today because of feeling low and suicidal and just got told to go and see my gp even though I had told them that I had already seen them today and there was nothing else my gp could do for me, this isn't the first time I have rang the service and im always told to take medication or go for a walk they don't care about how you are feeling and don't want to come out to you despite the fact you are crying out for help.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 26 May 2017

Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 June 2017

We are sorry that you are feeling low and consider you did not receive the response from the crises team that you felt was necessary at the time. There may be several reasons for this including the demands on the team meaning no one was available to visit you, or that you may not be currently active to our community services. Being active to our services and having a crises plan that includes support from the crises team is usually required for receiving out of hours home treatment and crises support. If you are active to one of our community team you will have a care coordinator or lead care profession and we recommend you talk to them about a crises plan for when you feel low and suicidal in the future. If you are not currently active to services your GP is the first point of contact and there are other out of hours options including the Samaritans and Adult Social Care Emergency Duty Teams (EDT). It’s not clear from your report whether you are based in Norfolk or Suffolk as the EDT telephone number will be different in each county. If you are not sure about your current status, or for advice about contacting other crises support services, our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) will be able to advise. PALS can be contacted via pals@nsft.nhs.uk; phone: 01603 421191 or BT Freephone: 0800 279 7257. The PALS office is open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Outside these hours you can leave a message on our PALS voicemail which we aim to respond to the next working day.