Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

01208 834600 Head Office: Carew House, Beacon Technology Park, Dunmere Road , Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2QN

Completely Inadequate - A shameful view of funding shortfall

The lack of funding to the mental health services in Cornwall is more obvious then ever when it comes to being a patient. They often are unable to provide patients with good levels of care and left my member of family completely without any contact with them for weeks without making them aware what was going on or putting provisions in place.

They very often do not return calls and struggle to communicate internally, resulting in absolutely no answers to questions a patients has no matter how straight-forward the question is.

Because of the complete overburdening of the mental health system patients that have previously attempted suicide are not considered a high priority... its that bad. Because of this patients are often left to sort many things out themselves without any support to start or maintain them, making the appointments that you do get nothing more then friendly chats.

The level of frustration and despair you can be left with after leaving a heavily time regimented appointment can and has made worse this persons mental health... in a place made to make it better. I find it horrifying that I doubt this person is the only person that feels this way and gets this dreadful level of treatment and It scares me to think that its only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt or worse because of the disgusting lack of help and treatment this service provides.

In all, this service is disgustingly inadequate, and I have no doubt in my mind harms some people more then it helps by stringing them along without giving them the correct level or type of care.

The only good thing I can say is the staff truly do seem as if they're trying their best with what little breadcrumbs of funding they have but the stress, lack of treatment options, lack of time to spend with patients, frustration shows a lot...

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 20 September 2017

Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 September 2017

We are sorry to hear about your experience with the service. Your feedback will be forwarded to the relevant team leads. We always strive to provide excellent patient care and we are disappointed this was not the case for you. If you would like to take this further, please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01208 834620

Banham House Bodmin

I've been allocated a new CPN. My previous CPN ensured I had a good hanover by meeting briefly with new CPN before they left, as I have recognised Aspergers and get worried about changes. I've had a 7 week wait to meet new CPN, then a first appointment of 35 minutes. I was told I would probably get a following appointment sent out to me the following week, yet I'm still waiting 4 weeks on. I also have Bipolar. I have no family support. Last week for several days I was very unwell, but I have a block to getting help when I need it, as I struggle to make phone calls, due to anxiety and sensory issues. I had very good support and understanding from my previous CPN and they also ensured I had alternative way of contacting them if needed and I had 1 hour appointments weekly-fortnightly. I am basing my review on the current situation with lack of care.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 13 October 2017

Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 October 2017

We are sorry to hear about your experience with the service. Your feedback will be forwarded to the team leads. We always strive to provide excellent patient care and we are disappointed this was not the case for you. If you would like to take this further, please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01208 834620

Anonymous gave Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 3 stars

Waiting times OK in crisis; community care good

This is my first encounter with CMHT and it has been a mixed bag. The waiting times for appointments with mental health nurses and even psychiatrists is very good but waiting time for therapy is exorbitant and based on a strange policy that you have to commit for 3 months before you are allowed counselling in a crisis.

Staff are generally caring but some have made some insensitive offhand comments that could be triggering to people in the midst of a crisis.

Community care is excellent and very caring.

It is nice to see Pydar's waiting room is a bit more family friendly but the whole building is a bit grim and not very calming (no water fountains, stained white walls and all locked doors everywhere - maybe for safety).

Overall, good service but could be made more therapeutic.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 27 August 2017

Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 29 August 2017

Thank you for your feedback and we will pass it on to the relevant managers.

Anonymous gave Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Bolitho House heath professionals can not be trusted

Visit for assessment mid June, after approximately 35 minutes I was told by the assessor in front of a trainee nurse that I would hear from them in a week.. I have heard nothing to date. The Mental Health treatments offered by the NHS needs to be overhauled. Giving false information to patients with this illness does make their condition worse, they should know this. I expect to get the stupid standard reply from PALS!!
Not good enough, many people are in need of quality treatment from Mental Health professionals in order to improve their quality of life......get it sorted NHS

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 12 July 2017

Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 July 2017

We are sorry to hear you are disappointed with our service and have taken on board the comments. We do try and respond within a set time frame. If you are still feeling unhappy please contact Patient Advise and Liaison Services at PALS Office, Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, Room 11, Banham House, Bodmin Hospital, PL31 2QT. Telephone: 01208 834620. They will be able to investigate your concerns further and hopefully provide you with some answers.

Joe Maddalena gave General dental treatment at Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

A very supportive service.

They are a very supportive service. The care and dignity I have received from them over the years, have enabled to overcome many psychological challenges. This is due to many amazing staff, who have helped me.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 08 May 2017

Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 May 2017

Thank you for your very positive feedback on our service. This will be passed onto the relevant staff.

Poor service

The mental health in Cornwall is a disgrace. Your supposed to be a mental health expert yet, patients are constantly let down. Have the CMHT not learnt from the past. I can't even be given a new care co-ordinator after my last one left, been waiting for 3 months now. What's clear is that incompetence comes from the top and the lemmings follow suit. Before I get a lemmings response of, go to PALS it's already there. Still they can't even get me seen

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 21 May 2017

Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 June 2017

'We are very sorry to hear that you are feeling so let down by the mental health services. The PALS team are available Monday to Friday 09:00 - 16:30 by calling 01208 834620. They will do their best to help if you would like to make further contact.'

Service NHS in name only

My experience of Cornwall CMHT is of a poor service.
In general the CMHT has shown me to have poor accountability and with this a lack of patient choice..
A professional was involved in my treatment and this person was also meant to be a coordinator. I had reason to believe that this person did not want to be one. I did not receive information regarding other support and assessment from this one.. Information about a carer’s assessment for my wife did not come from this source. I was under the impression that this worker considered the involvement of other people would interfere with the treatment. As well as this I felt that a previous Dr who was treating me was run down by this coordinator.
I have had it up held in at least one complaint that information has been incorrect or misleading and I would challenge official data concerning waiting times etc.
After an assessment a referral was requested for me. Nothing happened after a long time and I made a complaint through an advocate. I eventually was in contact with PALS and I was assured of a follow up. I heard absolutely nothing from them. Eventually I contacted PALs again and they said that they had no records concerning the details of the person requesting the referral from me. It subsequently turned out several years after the referral was requested from the CMHT when there was an outcome to the complaint that this team failed to keep records.
Given I had waited over a year for a referral and most of the time no record was kept it appears my waiting would not have been on official statistics. I am under the impression that the complaints procedure is inefficient as extra resources are used just to make a routine referral. If the CMHT concentrated on providing trained mental health staff and there were truly independent mental health professionals involved in complaints things should be better.
After a long time experiencing a dreadful service there were signs of things being good but its back to inadequate support as if some remote civil servant has taken over. I feel that Cornwall mental health services are NHS in name only. I have found that there has been a failure of the local service to work with other parts of the NHS but I suppose it only takes one provider to put a stop to things.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 23 February 2017

Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with Cornwall CMHT service. We are sorry you feel this is a poor service and we also strive to provide excellent patient care. If you would like to talk to someone regarding this, please contact the PALS department on 01208 834620.

Anonymous gave Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Phenomenal care

Without the various teams involved in supporting me through a lengthy period of mental illness there is no chance that I would have had any hope in life and most certainly would not be here.
The staff on the acute ward in which I was situated for several weeks were wonderful, actually considerate of my illness and compassionate. I was cautious of joining the ward initially but it is by far one of the wisest decisions I have ever made.
The aftercare provided by the home treatment team was also of a consistent high standard with empathetic staff encouraging my return to 'normal life' without forcing me to be beyond reasonable boundaries.
I am certain that my.care coordinator will also be similarly helpful and promotive of my return to reality.
In all, I cannot thank the teams enough and believe that anyone who may need this help would be in safe hands with reliable staff who are understanding without being patronising. Thank you all.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 05 April 2017

Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 April 2017

Thank you for writing such a good response to the treatment you have received. This will be passed on to the relevant people for the teams to see.

Anonymous gave General dental treatment at Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Service broken from top to bottom

Although there are a few very nice people who work for the service, they must feel that they are working with one hand tied behind thier backs. I feel for them. The system is rotten from top to bottom. Barely exists, dangerously lacking and very little joined up thinking with regards to communication. 2 examples of this are... 1) got a letter through on a thursday for an appointment I should have had the previous day? (Wednesday).... 2) got a missed call at 12.15 whilst I was driving to an appointment I should have had 15 minutes later at 12.30? They then try and insult your intelligence and blame you by saying 'we've been ringing you very often for the last 2 days'(my phone log says otherwise).. or 'well you should have had the letter, we sent it in plenty of time' it's always your fault and never theirs. It's like a closed shop their end with everyone trying to cover the 'system's' backside. I for one am sick of it. They talk a good game, but the services barely exist. It's just box ticking. These are just 2 of numerous examples I could mention. Do yourself a favour and don't get ill, or go private. It really is that broken. Very sad for all the service users, but unfortunately, true. Things need to change... fast..

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 21 December 2016

Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 December 2016

We are sorry to hear that you felt our services fell below the standard we would usually expect. Please call and speak to our Patient Advice and Liaison Team on 01208 834620 or email them at cpn-tr.cftpals@nhs.net. This will allow us to look into your case in more detail.

this review will be polite considering !!!!!

I have been under Bolitho for a number of years they are a rubbish service saying one thing doing another. they say they will be there to support you but then threaten you with being put back in hospital and saying if you don't take your medication we will put you back in hospital even though I am not on any medication staff members will put the phone down on you more than once in one day. I have emotional problems but they will use that to make me look like the person who is wrong when I am persistently phoning to try and get answers they will pass your from pillar to post they will say they have a duty of care but when you agree to work with them nothing gets done and I am the one not engaging. to say I am fuming with this service is an understatement an absolute disgrace don't get me wrong I know there are cutbacks and they are busy but by god I would still have respect for people and not put he phone down on them and mess them around im not saying all of them are bad as I don't know all of them but with the amount of years I have been under them and it being no different i find it hard to believe they can be different it makes you feel undermined and less of a person appalling as i said things need to be sorted out it is a very very bad system and something needs to be done so personally do not get put on there case load go private if you can if not be prepared for nothing

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 27 July 2016

Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 July 2016

We are very sorry to hear about your experiences with our staff who are based at Bolitho. Please contact our Patient Experience Team on 01208 834620 or email cpn-tr.palscft@nhs.net so we can look into the situation on your behalf.