Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust

01302 796000 Woodfield House, Tickhill Road Site, Weston Road, Balby , Doncaster, DN4 8QN

Anonymous gave at Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent staff interactions this morning visiting a friend

Very professional and supportive - allowed me to visit out of hours to help an agitated patient.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 09 July 2017

Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 July 2017

Thank you very much for your kind comments. It is always good to hear when our patients and their carers/family have had a positive experience of our services.

Yours

Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Trust

Brokenreed reviewed Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust

Why was I not consulted about withdrawing support?

I have just received a letter telling me that due to changes I will no longer have the support of a named mental health worker. It shocked me that this information didn't actually come from my present worker. It shocked me that I wasn't even consulted on how I felt about this. I think it is extremely sly to just stick a letter in the post. I am not discharged from the service, and am on a list for therapy. Well actually I am on a list to talk about the possibility of therapy and what type. Can it get any worse?
I have had the support of a worker for almost 40 years. I have various mental health problems that make me feel fragile and vulnerable. Having regular contact with a worker feels vital to me.
I rang up the named person on the letter to discuss this decision, only to be told that basically there weren't enough staff to give me a worker and things had changed. What? In other words, there have been discussions about me behind my back, a decision to stop me having a worker, and I wasn't even included in coming to the decision. I was told that I can still ring a duty worker or the crisis team on a crisis. Now that might sound fair enough but the last time I phoned in a crisis I was told to go make a milky drink and try and sleep. I was gobsmacked at the time. I felt suicidal that night and I was told to make a milky drink. So, while it might sound like support it's not. I can get that kind of support from the samaritans. I thought intervention was at the heart of a crisis but unless you have actually self harmed or tried to commit suicide you are not taken seriously.
I am not a patient who abuses the system. I don't call my worker unless there is genuine need. I don't call the crisis team every five minutes. I expect this has been interpreted as me not needing the support. It's not true. That contact with a worker was so important to me and actually helped me to not feel the need to ring the crisis team.
I have continuous mental health problems. I want/need a regular form of support through a named worker. The mental health service is just that... a service. It has decided not to serve my needs.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 13 June 2017 using Care Opinion

Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 June 2017

I am very sorry to hear of your experience and that you have not received the care that you feel that you need. if you would like to contact us on either 0800 0154334 or PALS@RDASH.NHS.UK we would be happy to look into this further for you.

Laura Powel
Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust

Anonymous gave Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent counselling

The whole experience was fantastic. From first entering the building to my last appointment. The receptionist took time to remember my name and always greeted me with a smile my counsellor was excellent they just let me be myself and helped me relax and feel very comfortable. They didn't challenge me they just let me ramble which was what I needed at the time! If all your counsellors are like this the service needs no improvement! I have already recommended St Johns Counselling to my friends.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 12 September 2016

Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 January 2017

Thank you for your kind comments about our Service and I will ensure that these are passed on to the Service. I am pleased to hear that you had such a good experience of all aspects of the counselling service and thank you for recommending us to others.

Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust

Agonised gave Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Excellent governance, rubbish delivery

The RDASH paradox. Paperwork in order, perfect gatekeeping. Consistency of care/service delivery? Nah! Experts in modernising services; sadly, not in ensuring they're delivered, or even deliverable.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 28 September 2016

I am sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience of our services and please accept my apologies for the delay in responding to your comments on this site. If you would like to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0800 0154334, we would be happy to look into your concerns further.

Excellent care from Podiatry Team

I was suffering with an ingrowing toe nail that at times made it painful to walk. I tried to manage it myself and I also paid to see a chiropodist but GP Practice Nurse told me I could refer myself to Podiatry which I did. Within a few weeks I received an appointment and was referred for treatment 3 weeks later. The team are professional and friendly. They gave me information (written and verbal) which meant there were no surprises - I am well impressed. What a great team and a brilliant service.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 03 August 2016

Thank you for your kind comments about our Podiatry Service. I will ensure that these are passed on to the Service and I hope that should you need to, you will be happy to use the Service again.

Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust

Anonymous gave Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 3 stars

Lack of understanding

I've suffered with mental health problems since I was 14 years of age, I'm now 48. I've been having treatment on and off at East Dene centre, Intake, for many years now. I was yesterday discharged from care because I'm struggling with/have doubts that the treatment I'm been offered will benefit me at all. My community psychiatric nurse yesterday inferred that I can't be too bad because I've never needed to call them in a mental health emergency!. I explained that my life is dreadful, but by avoiding my problems and remaining a recluse, I have learnt to cope; there are 168 hours in a week, and for the past 18 years I've basically spent 160 of them alone. Just because I've not called them (the week before xmas 2015 they gave me a 'crisis' emergency number to call in the event of a mental health emergency) doesn't mean that I'm exaggerating my problems!. The past 18 months have been particularly bad, and I'm not ashamed to say that on occasions I've sobbed like a baby. Even if a mental health professional dislikes/doesn't fully understand a patients problems, a little more compassion could still be shown.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 10 August 2016

Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 August 2016

Thank you for your posting. We are sorry to hear of your concerns regarding your recent discharge from the East Dene Centre. In addition, we feel extremely sorry that you have felt that the severity of your mental health problem has not been acknowledged to that effect by staff members and have not shown compassion towards you during this difficult time.

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) could make an enquiry on your behalf about the worries you have. Please be assured that we do our utmost to advise and support patients and their families and carers.

The PALS Freephone number (if calling from a BT landline) is 0800 015 4334 or Doncaster (01302) 796537 (if calling from a mobile, we can return your call directly) or email pals@rdash.nhs.uk. All contacts to PALS are completely confidential and the service is available Monday to Friday between 9.00 am and 5 pm.

With kind regards
PALS Coordinator
Patient Advice and Complaints Team
Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust

Anonymous gave Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

failure to help an eating disorder patient in doncaster

My son suffers from anorexia nervosa & it is impossible to secure any help or support within Doncaster for him. The Mental health team have no sense of the urgency of treating this very aggressive illness. A 6 weekly appointment with a pyschiatrist & weekly appointments with a dietician are the only support they have offered.
5 years ago my son was hospitalised with the same illness-on life support, followed by inpatient care for almost a year. I feel the mental health team are not versed in eating disorders therefore cannot & will not offer him appropriate treatment & support.

Desperate Mother

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 05 November 2015

Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 November 2015

I am extremely sorry to learn that your son is not receiving the level of treatment and support that you feel he needs. The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) can make an enquiry and discuss concerns with mental health services on your behalf if you so wish and we do our utmost to obtain an effective outcome wherever possible.

With kind regards
Helen
Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Coordinator
Patient Advice and Complaints Team

Bad experiences!

I attended The Talking Shop to be told I couldn't see anyone for an appointment until over a week later. I arrived for this appointment to be told they had no record of this and was made to wait. When I was finally taken into a room I effectively had a short walk-in appointment when my GP had suggested a full length booked one. I was told to access any further treatment I would have to attend obligatory Coping With Stress courses over 6 weeks. I was told I would be phoned with a start date for this course and subsequently found out they had called me to get me on an earlier start date but left no voicemail or tried to contact me via post, etc to tell me this. This resulted in me starting the course many weeks after I needed to, delaying any further treatment I may require. Additionally, I work full-time and struggled to fit these lengthy "lessons" in after long, hard days at work whilst dealing with mental health issues. I attended the full course and felt 30% actually provided me with advice relevant to my issues. I also note that an ex-soldier was sent on the same course for PTSD and was told to stop attending! I felt so exasperated by the end of it all that I didn't access The Talking Shop again for help as I feel for a mental health trust they have a long way to go in terms of providing for the reality of a variety of mental health issues. I've had better treatment and help from non-mental health trusts just doing their best to improve my quality of life. I have other experiences with them that are just as bad and have resulted in a severe worsening of the state of my mental health, something again that was met with inappropriate, generalised "treatment". All in all an NHS Trust that I find truly awful.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 25 January 2017

I am sorry to hear of the experience you have had when contacting and attending the Talking Shop. If you would like to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0800 0154334 we would be happy to look into your concerns further.