Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust

020 7435 7111 The Tavistock Centre, 120 Belsize Lane , London, NW3 5BA

Anonymous gave Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Received intensive psychotherapy

I have been attending the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation since 2015 for intensive psychotherapy within the Adolescent area. The receptionists have been nothing but nice to me and treated with me with respect. My therapist is extremely professional and has helped me cope with my anxieties and I have much improved since I first saw them. I definitely recommend this trust.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 22 September 2017

Anonymous gave Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

more committed to their style of therapy than to helping me

I didn't feel my therapist listened or tried to understand me. Instead, superficial psychodynamic interpretations were shoehorned into my attempts to explain myself.

When I raised my concerns about this with my therapist, I was told that I was resisting therapy.

When I tried to find a therapist who might fit me better, I was told that therapy wasn't for me.

(I've entered an inaccurate date, below, to try to preserve anonymity.)

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 06 June 2017

Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 July 2017

We are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your experience when you came to visit us. Please don't hesitate to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) if you would like to discuss your experience and help us to identify how we can improve our service.
You can reach the PALS team via the email address pals@tavi-port.nhs.uk or the phone number 0208 938 2523.

Astrid Berger gave Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

MIsleading

They'd say they sent out letters. They didn't. I'd ring them up, then and only then would I get the same letter sent out on the same day, however one was franked first class, and one was franked second class. Reports would have misleading spelling mistakes. Calls went unanswered. I suggest you keep all envelopes, and the history of your calls. I was told because I saw my GP that my clinician found the 'split contact' a problem.
Review put here because no chance to post a reply to the clinic.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 15 December 2015

Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust replied on 17 December 2015

Thank you very much for letting us know that you have experienced difficulties with our service. I am sorry that mistakes were made. I would be very happy to look into this further so that we can improve our service, if you would like to contact me directly on llyon@tavi-port.nhs.uk ,Louise Lyon, Director of Quality and Patient Experience

Anonymous gave Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding

I've been treated as a human being. The care feels genuine – I think many of the staff must actually be lovely people. They listen, they are sensitive, and I feel believed which is a huge relief. The treatment has been outstanding – better than anywhere else I've experienced. The therapists are highly skilled and seem to cope with me however I am. I've had individual and group psychotherapy in the Adult department, both of which have been excellent. It helps me to make sense of what happens to me, how I am and what I do; and the care and support and learning and much of the whole experience stays with me and influences my whole life.

I've found that some GPs and psychiatrists haven't heard of the Tavistock, so I would recommend asking for an assessment or referral.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 24 November 2015

M Sonerick gave Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

They don't do Jungian analysis

My clinician didn't pay attention to the synchronicity that occurred after our first meeting. I still have unreasonable ideas that will now be addressed in the New Year. I still think people do not listen to me, or maybe I just have a persecution complex. I had expected more but then my mental ills got worse. I am now told to see a psychiatrist.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 11 December 2015

Anonymous gave Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Frighteningly bad

Attended for assessment. The psychiatrist was late and unapologetic, unsmiling and felt uncaring, did not make me feel at ease and therefore ready to discuss problems. They completely failed to pick up my bipolar disorder. I later found out that a report had been sent to me GP without my permission containing personal details I regarded as confidential. When I complained they said it had been a mistake, they do not usually send reports without asking. Worse,when I read it, it contained basic factual inaccuracies (therefore how accurate could the assessment be?) and was very judgmental. When I asked for the report to be destroyed, they refused. They would only append my comments. They said they would write asking for it back from my GP but obviously the damage was done by then. As a result I was in a worse state than when I started. In my opinion, do not use.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 03 April 2017

Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 April 2017

Thank you for leaving feedback about your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear that you found our service unsatisfactory.

We'd like to fully understand what happened, and I would really appreciate if you would contact me, Louise Lyon, Director of Quality and Patient Experience, to provide further information so that we can rectify the issues that you raise. My email address is llyon@tavi-port.nhs.uk

I look forward to hearing from you - thanks for leaving a review.

Shocking

I found it a very confusing experience when I attended this clinic for psychotherapy assessments. I moved out of the catchment area and the next thing I knew I got a letter saying I should change my GP.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 10 December 2015

Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 December 2015

Thank you for your comment. We are sorry this has been a confusing experience, but sometimes psychotherapy is not the best help for a person.

It does become complicated if a patient moves out of our usual catchments, because quite often we need to work with local mental health services to arrange the best care plan.

If you have any further comments or queries, please feel free to contact me, Louise Lyon, Director of Adult & Forensic Services on llyon@tavi-port.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

They are not honest

In Camden I told them I was moving temporarily out of the area for a few months. They said ok, we can still arrange your appointments in our area because you are not changing your GP.
However here midway through if you change area to a few miles away they push for you to change GPs so that you start the whole referral process over again.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 20 December 2015