Humber NHS Foundation Trust

01482 301700 Trust HQ, Willerby Hill, Beverley Road, Willerby , Hull, Yorkshire(East Riding), HU10 6ED

person one reviewed Humber NHS Foundation Trust

dementia and epilepsy

My mum has had epilepsy since the age of 16. Herself and my dad have been married over 25 years and he has always managed to control and deal with her epilepsy side however in the past 3 years we have found out she has a form of dementia which is rapidly progressing. We are not getting any support at all with the situation she can become very aggressive and violent some days. my dad is in his 70s and is not coping well with the situation and services that should be helping are not helping at all. I find this very disgraceful and would appreciate any help or advise possible.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 08 May 2017 using Care Opinion

Humber NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 June 2017

Thank your for your contact. As we do not have contact details for you, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01482 303966 or by emailing hnf-tr.pals@nhs.net who will be able to advise you.

Noctis1221 reviewed Humber NHS Foundation Trust

I know can always ask for help

Through this programme (Lets Talk Hull CBT) , I have learnt what was triggering my anxiety and considered ways of dealing with it. During the first two sessions, we discussed my safety behaviours, the things I avoided and continuing difficulties that remained unchanged.
It was a lot easier to talk to someone when I dropped my safety behaviours, unhelpful thoughts and self-focus, with the use of mindfulness to help concentrate on noises in the background and the other person, helping the conversation to flow more naturally as well as practice using role-play and looking at different ways people start conversations so I could try myself.
I inclined to disregard and positive social interactions and instead concentrated on what didn't go so well. I understood that I needed to be more assertive and interrupt using verbal and non-verbal methods when necessary.
When I focused on myself, I started to dread about what to say afterwards meaning that I don't completely participate with social interactions.
Half-way through the programme, I made my first phone call in years. I used deep breathing and mindfulness. My nervousness passed fifteen seconds of the conversation starting. The anxiety came before, but afterwards I felt okay.
The more I worried about been loud enough, the quieter I become. More practice speaking louder, I found the easier it was. I also noticed, the louder I spoke, my anxiety would drop. Assertiveness, I understand doesn't mean getting my own way but how I feel what I want without been overlooked or pushed around by others.
Keeping positive data logs and setting tasks which I'd then rate helped me to acknowledge things I have done well and how much I have improved over time. When talking to someone I need to just push myself. I can change subject or keep going until I have found something we are comfortable talking about.
What might lead to a setback for me would be negative people, not asking for help and not trying to continue everything I've learnt so far. This would lead to my anxiety ratings increasing, been less involved in social situations and more negative thoughts.
If this should happen, I can look back at my data logs, notes and progress to try to make changes or experimentation's and review everything I've learnt to see where I need to improve or change, but if all else fails I know can always ask for help or at least let someone else know.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 07 June 2017 using Care Opinion

Humber NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

They just don't care

I am from Poland. Not so very long ago I was feeling desperately unhappy. I was contemplating suicide. I went to see my GP. They immediately referred me to SPA. A couple of weeks went by and I heard nothing. I went back to see my GP. They were very concerned that I had not been contacted by SPA. They telephoned SPA there and then. They were kept waiting for more than 5 minutes. When they eventually spoke to someone in SPA, they were unapologetic and tried to pretend that they had not made the referral. Eventually they were forced to accept that the referral had been made. They still refused to apologise. Finally, after much insistence from my doctor, they referred to me to their counselling service. Several more weeks went by before I finally received details about an assessment. This was done over the phone. The counsellor didn't really listen to me. They seemed in a real rush. At the end of the call they said I didn't meet their criteria for counselling and tried to refer me to group therapy. They also said they had trouble understanding my accent. When I asked if they had a translator, they said no because it cost too much and that the trust was looking to cut costs whenever it could. I couldn't believe it. It's a good job I have a supportive husband, family and friends. Without that I might not be here today. My experience of Humber's mental health services was that they left me to fend for myself. They just didn't seem to care. In the end, being so disillusioned with the NHS, I went and paid for private counselling sessions. Not everyone has that option though, and that's the scary thing. It isn't a surprise that Humber's mental health services have such a terrible reputation. Based on my experience that's fully deserved. They treat you like just another statistic. I would urge any patient needing counselling who can afford to, go private. As a foreign patient, I did share my bad experience with Humber's mental health services with the CQC. I really hope it had nothing to do with the fact that I am Polish.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 04 February 2017

Humber NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 May 2017

We take all issues surrounding patient care very seriously and would very much like to hear from you directly about the specific difficulties that you experienced with our mental health service. If you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01482 303966 or by emailing hnf-tr.pals@nhs.net they will be happy to discuss this with you.

SPA are terrible

I was feeling very suicidal following a number of traumatic incidents in my life. I went to see my doctor and was given the number for Single Point of Access (SPA). I contacted them, wishing I hadn't. The person I spoke to was rude, uncaring, disinterested, dismissive and as much use as a chocolate teapot. They also contradicted the advice given to me by my experienced GP, even though this was only an ordinary mental health nurse. They seemed to want to block me from receiving treatment. I gave up in the end and went private. Humber NHS Foundation Trust are an absolute joke. Small wonder they have such a bad reputation, and are probably the worst mental health trust in England. I would seriously caution anyone feeling suicidal to look elsewhere for help.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 03 December 2016

Humber NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 December 2016

We take all issues surrounding patient care very seriously and would very much like to hear from you directly about the specific difficulties that you experienced. If you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01482 303966 or by emailing hnf-tr.pals@nhs.net they will be happy to discuss this with you.

Anonymous gave Humber NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Flea-pit and not fit for purpose

In the past week my young child had a speech therapy appointment at Victoria House in Hull. In all my years I have never encountered such a dirty building. The carpet in the waiting area was covered in stains. The furniture was shabby. There are holes in the walls. Paints was peeling off the walls. The toilet was nauseating. I also had to recently visit the adjoining section of Victoria House to attend a psychotherapy session on the third floor of Victoria House. As a disabled person I was mortified to discover that the lift was out of order. I had to climb the 3 flights of stairs, with assistance, which nearly killed me. It is a disgrace that this lift is not working. Humber are breaking the law as it is unlawful to run a public building without necessary adaptations for disabled users. It also shows just how little Humber care about the welfare of their patients. Victoria House is a flea-pit and not fit for purpose. I only hope having run the contract to run community services, CHCP invest some money in getting Victoria House up to scratch. To their shame, Humber have not invested in this listed building, hence its dilapidated state. With shabby buildings like Victoria House, Humber can't complain that they lost the multi-million pound contract to CHCP.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 10 December 2016

Humber NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Rubbish

My 87 year old mother, who is unwell and has mental health problems, was treated like a piece of dirt by Humber. Although her GP made several referrals to this trust for mental health treatment, each time the trusts did not bother to contact her. When, after waiting more than 6 months, they did actually contact her, she was unable to attend as she'd fallen and broken her hip. I informed them of this. To our shock, they disregarded the fact that she had broken her hip, and sent her a discharge letter. She was do upset at receiving this letter. My mother is a former nurse. This is the deplorable way in which Humber treat both elderly patients and patients who were once their medical members of staff. This trust failed its CQC inspection in August of this year. The CQC need to make a random inspection as this trust is treating older patients as second-class. Little wonder Humber lost the recent contract to CHCP. Perhaps the answer lies in dissolving Humber NHS Foundation Trust and handing it all over to a company like Virgin or CHCP. Certainly the current senior management in this trust are incompetent and need to be replaced, urgently. A badly run trust, which treats older patients like dirt.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 30 November 2016