Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

0115 969 1300 The Resource, Trust HQ, Duncan Macmillan House, Porchester Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG3 6AA

NRC Student reviewed Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Nottingham Recovery College graduate

I am apost graduate of the Nottingham Recovery College in Duncan Macmillan House, Nottingham. I am a recovering drug, solvent and alcohol user with mental health issues, at this time I am stable and sober and clean of drugs.
I did initially go to the Nottingham Recovery College for 6 weeks in approximately 2012 , but left. I think it wasn't my time then. I went back to my old back habits of isolating myself and not talking to people in the community, also seeking comfort in junk food and tobacco. My weight shot up to 18st 1 pound. I used a walking stick and could hardly bend down to tie my shoe laces. Sinking into a deeper hole of depression than I had ever been in before.
I decided to start again as a student at the Nottingham Recovery College on the first day of the educational year of 2015-2016. I attended all of the subjects I chose in the 3 terms of my academic year - graduating in July 2016. After this, I went on to Summer School also held at the Nottingham Recovery College. I took a great course called "Spirituality In Recovery - Advanced Level" with a lovely tutor called Katja.
I achieved certification in many personal development courses which helped with my own lived experience of having both mental and physical health issues. I learnt many coping strategies and techniques and also have lots of courses to put on my CV. Being able to include these on my CV, I believe, has made my CV stronger for applying for volunteering and/or paid work in the community in the future.
The tutors at the college educated me and had a caring and understanding approach to all students within the Nottingham Recovery College. I personally could relate to other students and I learnt a lot from their input in the classes, which I found helpful.
I would recommend this valuable educational Nottingham Recovery College to all types of people in the community. Thank you so much Nottingham Recovery College for helping me.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 11 October 2017 using Care Opinion

Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Grrl82 reviewed Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Nottinghamshire County Crisis Team

I could have written the review by JustAnotherServiceUser myself - I would also use the words 'abrupt', 'patronising' and 'couldn't be bothered' to describe my experience of speaking to Notts Crisis Team. I rang in a very distressed state after an incident at home, feeling worthless, desperate and like I didn't deserve to live.
It took some courage to ring Crisis Team and the conversation got off to a bad start straight away with the call operator mishearing my name and saying some random words that sounded a bit like my name in a sarcastic tone, as if it was funny. I nearly put the phone down there and then. I can't remember the specifics of the conversation as I was so distressed, but I started feeling worse and worse about myself as it went on, feeling like I was just an irritation to the call operator.
The situation escalated and I ended up being detained and sectioned by the police. I can't judge whether this was the right course of action or not and I don't resent Crisis Team for calling them, it's just how they spoke to me that stays with me. I am a sensitive person and when in crisis, the way I'm spoken to can make a difference to the outcome. I would expect Crisis Team to understand that; basic compassion was lacking.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 12 October 2017 using Care Opinion

Team Leader County South eCrht, Adult Mental Health, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 October 2017

Hi Grrl82,
I am sorry to hear that when you contacted the County South Crisis Team you felt much worse. It is concerning that following this contact with the team your circumstances deteriorated much further.
I would like to offer you the opportunity to talk to me directly so that the situation can be discuused in more detail. I can then consider what went wrong in this instance and how the service response can be improved to help others experiencing a mental health crisis.
My contact details are as follows:
Karen Osborne
Tel: 0300 123 2901

HopeFeedback reviewed Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

How can I have confidence in the service?

Still waiting to join a 12 month MBT (Mentalization-Based Treatment) therapy group.
I was told it probably would start in September 2017, but I have been told I will find out 'in due course'. Why the change?
This does not seem to correlate with the stated comment made on this thread that a change has been made, where a date would be given.
If the NPDDN wants to develop trust and confidence in what it says it will do, why are their' promises' not kept?
I feel let down by this change, and it is a step backwards to their previous position and I think the comment that a 'change has been made' should be removed from the Care Opinion website.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 06 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 October 2017

Thank you for posting your comments, it is really helps in understanding the issues faced by our service users.

We are aware of the wait for accessing treatment within our services and we are working with local mental health services and commissioners to address this in an ever changing financial climate.

We try to aim to minimise the wait from MBTi into MBT Therapy for the reasons you highlight above (helping to hold the MBTi information in mind to support the best use of MBT Therapy) unfortunately we have to manage this within the resources we have available to us which can directly impact on our delivery of treatment. We have also found that Mentalization Based Treatment has a high retention rate and is a treatment with real relevance to our service users meaning that many will go onto accessing the year-long treatment, this then has a knock on effect to our treatment numbers and subsequent waiting times.

We would be happy to speak with you about this and look into your specific wait in more detail. Please contact me (Louisa Hagan – Operational Team Leader) or Clare Lloyd (Clinical Team Leader) on 0115 8760162.

Ali12 reviewed Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Recovery

Well...ive been on a rollercoaster for 8 years. Been to hell and back with my mental health and now things are looking up. Patience really is a virtue. But it hasnt just been my efforts to get me where I am. Oh no...ive had fantastic support from trust staff at all levels and in various roles and my friends and family are very supportive. Now...im enjoying my job and have just started my MSc too. I really am living my life by the 3 recovery principles the trust speak of...hope, opportunity and control. 3 words which say it all.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 22 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Service Manager, Community and Residential Services (South), Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 27 September 2017

hi Ali12
I'm really pleased to hear that your rollercoaster is levelling out and your life is starting to turn around. I'm glad you have had good support from our staff and your family and I wish you all the best for continued recovery. Kind regards Tracey

Chelt78 reviewed Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Sometimes they talk to me really well

My care plan, yes most of the time. they sit down with me and go through them and I get a copy. sometimes they talk to me really well. supportive sometimes and sometimes not. argues with me about everything. recently no one is doing anything about staff who are abrupt and the their attitude all the time. some staff that have built up a relationship with me. Activities gets cancelled and low staffing levels does not help. I dont like spending time with my named nurse.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 19 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Adele Bryan, Rampton Hospital replied on 31 July 2017

HI
Thank you for you posting and feedback. Its good to hear that you have involevemtn in your care planning and have a copy, but its a sahme you dont like spending time with your named nurse. If you do not get on wiht your named nurse its important to try and build positive relationships. If you have an comalint about nursesthat you feel are not nice with you please speak with your ward Manager Natalie of Deputy Matron Marie and they can try and reslove some of the issue for you and address with staff if there is a problem wiht their attitude as this is not tolerated. If you are not comfortable spekaing with them you can get support from you advocate and they can support you to raise your concerns anohter way. Activites have been reviewed and we have chaged the timetable to prevent any being cancelled. We have not had any canclled for a few months now so I hope you start seeing a difference. and staffing levels are always a challenge. We do have enough staff asigned to the ward and alot more staff in the hospital than we hav ehad for year but unfortunalty incident occur that and a staffing increase is required for certain periods. We do endevour to recruit additional staff to support these times as you will see alot more staff on your ward at present.

aintree993 reviewed Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

I like my named nurse

I am involved in many care plans including Pen access, Seclusion, involved in care plans I like my named nurse, friendly and puts a smile on my face and is someone to help cheer me up. very supportive (Thank you) I have seen bullying here from Patients, Staff stamp it out, I hate bullying. I would like to get off this ward more. More Staff to stamp out bullying and staff the ward when low. My named nurse makes me happy all the staffs make me laugh I like the meal times and shopping on a Tuesday and I like seeing Sam from Southwell

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 19 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Adele Bryan, Rampton Hospital replied on 23 July 2017

HI!
Thank you for your honestly and feedback.
I'm pleased you have a good named nurse that supports you and makes you smile. Bullying appears to be something people have experienced in one way or another and I think this comes with living with each other. That much be very challenging. We are planning some training and awareness for patients about bullying and how this makes people feel and we are hoping this will help you live with each other better. If you do feel you are being bullied please make sure you speak with staff so we can help.
Sam and Lyndsey from Southwell do a fantastic job ensuring you all have some activities, but also feel it's important that you do therapy and education. If you have not yet checked out the recovery college they have set up, do so as its fantastic and patients have gained qualifications which is a great achievement.

Abi D reviewed Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

Mental health appointments.

I am very disappointed with millbrook in mansfield Nottinghamshire I've not been waiting over 7 months for a psychiatrist appointment but all my appointments I get then get pushed back 3 months each time. This is very distressing. I'm really needing the help and support but don't seem to get it. Very poor service don't have faith in ever getting the help and support I need.
I've been to my gp to see if they can help with appointments but my gp has had a very poor response and was told I wasn't on my own with this issue. This is out of line now and getting very pathetic how appointments can be pushed back so much but being told there isn't anything they can do really makes you feel down and don't give you much hope at all.
Very disappointed to say the least.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 27 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Tim Constable, Service Manager, Adult Mental Health, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 10 August 2017

Dear Abi D
I was very sorry to hear of your disappointment and the time you have been waiting to receive an appointment.
I will be very happy to look into this for you if you wish. please give me a call or an email with some further information and I will discuss this with your team. kind regards Tim Constable Acting Operational Manager 0115 9691300 x 14311 [tim.constable@nottshc.nhs.uk](mailto:tim.constable@nottshc.nhs.uk)

waltzmy49 reviewed Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

My daughter is a lot more confident

My daughter is a lot more confident since coming to Surestart. She is doing a lot more than she would have at home

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 28 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Laura Spencer, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 August 2017

Dear Waltzmy49,
Thank you for your kind comments.
Unfortunately we are unsure as to which Sure Start Centre you attend, however we are pleased that you feel that your daughter is a lot more confident since coming to Surestart.
We hope that you will continue to enjoy visiting the centre.

augustqb53 reviewed Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

The social side of the sessions were very good

The past nine weeks at Lawrence day services have been very instructive. I have learned a lot on how to cope with my various mood by using different strategies. Also the social side of the sessions were very good. Really enjoyed the experience, I wouldn’t change anything as the course worked for me.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 21 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Debbie Stevens, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 24 July 2017

Thank you for your response and the posititve comments you have made. I will pass on your comments to the staff involved with your care. I am pleased to hear you have found the information useful and that you have benefited from attending the course.
Regards Debbie Stevens

empathyhy74 reviewed Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

MHSOP - IRIS

My problems of anxiety and stress symptoms plus lack of confidence began when I moved from the town I had lived in all my life. I was homesick and very unhappy in my new surroundings. I moved a considerable distance to be near family after my partner passed away. I felt so ill all the time with everything going round and round in my mind making it so I couldn’t relax or focus on one thing at a time. In fact making it very difficult to function at all. When I was referred to the Iris team it was the best thing that could have happened. I was getting a daily regular visit from one of their team. They were very friendly, understanding and patient people whom you got to know well and felt comfortable with over the time. It gave me the opportunity to unburden myself of all the thoughts that were in my mind, This gave me a chance to move on from those thoughts on a daily basis and I found it a relief. I was given goals to achieve which gave me a purpose and was shown various techniques by the physiotherapist in how to deal with anxiety symptoms. Also comments from individuals made me realise that there wasn’t only me suffering in this way, this information was reassuring. When you are feeling very low you tend to think there’s only you having such horrible symptoms.
I have found the support from this team invaluable. Giving me a more positive outlook. I’ve still a long way to go but I’ve now got the right tools to help me.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 21 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Cara Hewitt, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 21 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely comment about the Mansfield and Ashfield IRIS.
The team will be really pleased to hear that you think being referred to us was the best thing for you.
We wish you the best for the future.