Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust

0161 716 3000 Trust Headquarters, 225 Old Street , Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire, OL6 7SR

Mungo At The Crossroads reviewed Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust

Pennine Care Diabetes Centre

I attended this clinic and was seen by a consultant. I have Type 2 diabetes and this is a very stigmatising condition where it is viewed as a lifestyle choice. Any interaction is about telling you to lose weight and blaming you for your condition, not looking at other factors such as mental health medication and their effect on weight, stress, genetics and other factors.
After being given some numbers I. e. blood glucose readings (which made no sense to me) I was given a care plan as I left. I then discovered they had discharged me after only two appointments. Despite telling them how depressed I felt in the box marked `'psychological interventions' it was left blank. I asked for help regarding my depression, but no one would offer me anything, despite them advertising a service under Healthy Minds' entitled `Living with Diabetes' which detailed a service offering psychological support. I have tried many times to refer myself to this but been turned down.
Pennine Care refuse to offer me any interventions and the stress I am under and my mental health problems have severely exacerbated my diabetes. Now I have no care and no further appointments. The care plan, which I had no involvement in drawing up up said for my GP to re-refer if necessary. I have high blood sugar and have for years and no one wants to offer me any support. My GP just refers to these clinics who just discharge me.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 26 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Sun and reviewed Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust

Mental Health Assessment Process

I visited my GP in December 2016 to discuss my low mood and negative feelings toward myself. I was prescribed an antidepressant and referred to Healthy Minds.
I received a letter a few weeks later prompting me to call Healthy Minds to book an assessment. There was another couple of weeks wait for this, and it was completed over the phone which seemed impersonal. After I answered some questionnaires the assessor suggested that I was probably struggling with anxiety, not depression. I told him that my goal was to find something to help me manage my negative thoughts and he suggested I choose the counselling route.
My counselling assessment was arranged in the same way and held over the phone in mid February. The counsellor understandably asked lots of personal questions to try and get a picture of me and my mental health but I found this really insensitive over the phone as I was having to explain distressing personal details with no form of support. Following a difficult hour of questioning, she asked why I chose counselling, explaining that it would not help me because I don't have underlying historic issues so should have chose CBT instead. The most frustrating thing about this is that she then looked at the notes from the assessor and said that based on what he'd written this route would not work for me. I feel that if this had been read before the assessment it would have at least saved me having to delve into difficult memories, only to be told it was a complete waste of my time.
Six weeks later I have heard nothing regarding further help, but called Healthy Minds and was reassured I was still on a waiting list. Since visiting my GP I have been waiting over three months and feel I'm not any closer to having someone listen.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 30 March 2017 using Care Opinion

Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust replied on 05 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on NHS Choices.

It is so important to us that people have access to the right support for their needs and we’re really sorry to hear about your experience of the service.

We’d welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you so we can get a bit more information to allow us to look into it, and then support you to get the right treatment. Our PALS (patient advice and liaison service) is available for you to call on 0161 716 3178.

Dianne Fowler reviewed Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust

people sleeping on chairs as no bed available

Not for the first time have i been to visit a person on the mental health unit at stepping hill hosp to find they had been admitted and due to no beds available were left to sleep on 2 chairs pushed together this seem to be a continuing issue when a patient is moved from a general ward due to self harm on to this mental health unit , it used to be a good mental health unit now its a nightmare

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 11 July 2016

Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Trafford District Nurse Service stressful

Drs have referred me to Trafford District Nurse service on 3 occasions. Twice for my 93 yr old fathers wounds to be dressed, and once for his blood tests. The first wound dressing involved me in over 4 hours of phone calls back and forward between the hospital and Penninecare - they couldn't find my father on records - then they had different systems to those agreed with the hospital, then they had no appointments then they booked the wrong service. They referred me to A and E for redressing of wounds.
The second wound they could not find an appointment time - none at all in the local clinic and only two elsewhere in the borough which conflicted with other commitments. I have been referred back to A and E for redressing of wounds.
The blood tests never happened as they dispatched the district nurse without informing me and I happened to have taken my father for a short walk. They never got back to me.
I think this is unacceptable. I am currently training myself from videos in wound care because I cannot find a way of managing this aspect of my aged father's health without high levels of stress.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 08 June 2016

Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 June 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on NHS Choices. We’re sorry to hear about your experience and take all feedback from service users and their families and carers very seriously. The information you provided has been shared with the management team and we would welcome the opportunity to look into the matter in more detail. If you’d be happy to discuss further, please contact our Trafford Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0161 975 4753.

Puddlediver reviewed Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust

I am very grateful for all the efforts of the various teams

I became increasingly unwell and was eventually admitted to parklands south side unit under a section for assessment. Whilst I was unhappy about my freedom being taken away, I was nevertheless completely satisfied with my treatment.
I was discharged back home and unfortunately had to be readmitted to south side under another section for further assessment. This time the treatment was successful and I was again discharged.
Upon discharge I was put under the support of the community mental health team for my area. This consisted of weekly meetings with a community psychiatric nurse. Eventually these meetings became fortnightly and then monthly as I continued to recover. This included periodic reviews with a community psychiatrist.
My experience of the mental health service in Oldham has been exceptional and I am very grateful for all the efforts of the various teams in getting me to where I am today.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 03 March 2017 using Care Opinion

Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 March 2017

Thank you for your kind review. We're delighted you had a positive experience during what must have been a very difficult time. We'll pass your comments on to our staff and wish you well in your continued recovery.

Kim gave Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Mental Health Care Non-Existent. No care or understanding!

I am not really sure why this service actually exists in its current form. I suffer from severe agoraphobia, social phobia, PTSD, and depression. I used the service about 5 years ago, when I was at an all-time low, and was offered CBT, which helped a little, but was a far cry from something that could be called a permanent solution. I struggled tremendously to access the service they made available to me, and felt bullied out of the service, because I was told I was not meeting their expectations. They clearly have very little understanding of the difficulties involved with someone who has my conditions, and seemed to expect me to be off their hands within a few months, and cured. Using their service made me feel like a total failure, and even more anxious.I recently had a severe relapse, and felt suicidal. My GP referred me urgently to the Mental Health team, who proceeded to take weeks to send me a list of helpline numbers, and absolutely nothing else. No explanation as to why I was still waiting etc. On calling them, I was told they had offered me a service in the past, and I had not cooperated! They said I was on a list for CBT (which has not worked for me). On explaining this, and asking for a different therapy, I was told I would need to do the CBT again before anything else was offered. Disgraceful service. They are letting a lot of people down. Now, I have to reach out to charity's for help, as I would not trust Pennine Care to actually offer any worthwhile help or care. If you value your sanity, I recommend avoiding this service, and seeking help elsewhere. They clearly do not fully comprehend the difficulties that people with my conditions have, and clearly can not cater their services to help the many of us out there that are struggling on a daily basis. If all you need is CBT, and very short term care, and you can manage to do it with little support, then their service may be for you. If however you have more acute needs and need more complex help and support, I seriously would not recommend them at all. They made me feel useless, worthless, and a burden. To feel as low as I did, and only receive a list of phone numbers six weeks or more after referral is disgraceful!

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 21 September 2016

Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 September 2016

Hello, we’re very sorry to hear this was your experience of Pennine Care. We take feedback from patients very seriously and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further so we can look into some of the issues you’ve raised. Please contact our PALS team on 0161 716 3178 or via email at Pals.penninecare@nhs.net if you’d be happy to give us some more information. Thank you.

Anonymous gave Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Orwell unit

I also wanted to back the poor review of the Orwell Unit of someone's stay in Oct 2015.

I too was an informal patient in Jan and Feb 2015. I requested being admitted after I had spent the previous evening contemplating suicide at a motorway bridge. This was following leaving a domestic abusive situation and failing to find emotional support fr my family.

I found that the majority of staff were either bank staff or support staff who were in contact with me. The Ward Consultant Psychiatrist was sympathetic but no therapy was provided, other than changing my anti-depressant medication. The few senior psychiatric nurses had very contact or interest in me. I found one of those senior nurses also to be abrupt, dismissive and uncaring.

When I requested counselling I was basically told it was not in the budget and to organise this with my GP after discharge. I never did approach my GP regarding counselling. Initially, just getting up and taking care of myself was all I was strong enough to do.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 26 November 2015

Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 December 2015

We are very sorry to hear about your experience at Irwell Unit. All concerns raised by patients are taken very seriously and so we thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We have passed your comments and concerns on to the service manager and ward manager. Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service is available if you'd like to discuss this further, please give them a call on 0161 716 3178.