Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

01344 415600 Fitzwilliam House, Skimped Hill Lane , Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1BQ

Poor mental health service

Didnt get beyond telephone assessment, absolutely appalling attempt to assess my mental state. No empathy or understanding just a very incompetant tick box attitude that caused me distress and made me feel much worse, I hung up then got call back for face to face assessment but later I called and spoke ro another apathetic person and cancelled my appointment. I would not subject myself to this service. Mental health services in the NHS are appalling. going to self help and charity support group.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 25 August 2017

Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 29 August 2017

Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you for your posting. I am sorry that you were unhappy with the service provided to you on this occasion. Please contact me directly, in confidence, so that we can discuss this in greater detail and provide you with a full response. Alternatively, you could contact your local Healthwatch organisation for assistance. Contact details can be found on our website www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

urgent care - compassion and common sense required

This is the first review I've written and would never be someone to normally criticise the Health Service as I believe that the doctors and nurses do an amazing job. However I visited St Mark's Walk In /Urgent Care centre on Saturday and was shocked by the way the receptionist treated me. I had extreme abdominal pain and was visibly upset but was told in no uncertain terms by the receptionist that it was not a walk in centre and that I could not see a doctor without being referred by a 111 doctor. I left the reception shaken and upset and in fact a couple of other people who had been in reception came outside to check I was ok. Whilst this may be standard procedure to be referred I would have thought that when faced with someone iin need of care, staff could be taught to think outside the box and apply some common sense and compassion!

I did end up calling 111 and needed to be referred for treatment. The 111 doctor said they could arrange an appointment for me at St Marks one hour later but I was so upset by the way the receptionist had treated me I declined and was instead referred to the Herschel Medical Centre in Slough. The treatment I received there was exceptional.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 24 July 2017

Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 September 2017

Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you for your posting and I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with the service provided at the Urgent Care Centre. This service s provided by East Berkshire Primary Care Out of Hours Service. In order to have your concerns addressed, please contact:

Patient Care Manager
East Berkshire Primary Care Out of Hours Services
Clarendon Business Centre,
Abbey House,
Grenville Place,
Bracknell,
RG12 1BP

E Mail:ebpc.complaints@nhs.net

Alternatively, you could ask your local Healthwatch organisation for assistance. Contact details can be found on our website; www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Poor service

We attended the minor injuries Friday 28/7 around 10:00am. My 84 yr old mother had called & said she had accidently swolled a needle. We booked in & waited receptionist was ok but had to check that MI would help us. We waited at most 1/2 hr which was ok. Once we we went in the nurse was brisk & didnt acklodege my mum or myself. The had no friendly body or facial language at all. The nurse also bought in the receptionist. At no time were you asked if this was ok. You felt very uncomfortable & felt sure they didn't believe what my mum had done.

When we told them what had happened, they clearly didn't believe what they were hearing. The nurse didn't really make an attempt to investigate thoroughly. My mum open mouth the nurse glanced in, got a spatula & said they couldn't see anything no effort to check mum throughly, didn't even speak to my mum. Then told me she had prolly just scratched her throat. My mum was getting upset. The nurse said they can't do anything & if there was anything there she'd need an X-ray which they couldn't do. At no time was advice given other than home & eat something. Of which we did. Mum was coughing & chocking & she spat the bread out & her throat was bleeding. It was very frightening for my mum & me. I loaded mum into the car & took her the north Hants hospital, where she was treated with dignity & respect. Luckily for mum the needle was retreived

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 02 August 2017

Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 September 2017

Dear Madam,
Thank you for your posting and please accept my apologies for the delay in responding. I have been in touch with the Senior Nurse Practitioner concerned and we are sorry that you were unhappy with the care and treatment provided to your mother at the Minor Injuries Unit.

The Nurse Practitioner had one of our Clinical Care assistants with her when she attended your mother. The reason that she was with her was because she is doing further training which will allow her to help the nursing staff with their clinical work. We acknowledge that no introductions were made and we would like to apologise for this oversight.

Following an examination, it was suggested that your mother try to eat something and have a fizzy drink as this often dislodges objects stuck in throats. If this did not work then your mother was advised to attend an A&E department as they would be able to x-ray her throat and locate the needle. This is standard advice for anyone presenting with a possible foreign body in their throat. I am afraid that we do not have specialist equipment for examining throats so we did all that we could at the Minor Injuries Unit.

We are sorry that your mother experienced discomfort on this occasion. If you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me; in confidence. Alternatively, you could contact your local Healthwatch for assistance. Contact details can be found on our website www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk

Yours Sincerely

Anonymous gave Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

Based on two experiences- blood test and minor injuries I find this hospital excellent. I was really impressed with the knowledgeable doctor who explained exactly what was my problem and what to expect.The blood test area was efficient and well managed. I had a child to test and it was family friendly queue. I wish all hospitals were like this one.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 24 July 2017

Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 September 2017

Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you for your posting and kind comments. We are pleased that you were happy with the service provided at the Minor Injuries Unit. I will share your feedback with staff. I am sure that they will appreciate this.

Kind Regards,

Lizzie gave Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

An example of Service Excellence

I used the walk-in X-ray service at St Marks today and found the service was simply excellent.

The system was seamless, the staff at Reception and in the Xray department (the staff member who did my xray and the person that swops your paperwork for a gown) were a great blend of friendly, helpful and professional and I was in and out in 35 minutes. Even if you paid for this treatment, you couldn't get better service than this.

We are so lucky to have such brilliant healthcare locally and nationally a health service that is free at the point of delivery. It's a shame that these terrific examples of the NHS working so well aren't making the headlines.

Thank you all for what you do for us - we really do appreciate it.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 05 May 2017

Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 June 2017

Hello,
Thank you for your posting and positive feedback. It is pleasing to see that you were happy with the care and treatment provided at the Urgent Care Centre. This service is provided by East Berkshire Primary Care Out of Hours service. I will share your feedback with colleagues there. I am sure that they will appreciate this.
Kind Regards,

Richard gave Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

White Noice and abuse!

A survivor of adult child abuse that moving on to recovery outside the NHS. The Trust compliant process, is no more than white noise, with very limited scope in dealing with abuse in care, due to psychiatry not accountable for their actions, which undermines the welfare of the patient, declaring self-care. Serious strung out the concerns for the last ten years with talking problems away? I am glad I am free of the poor service which only place of containment and heavy use of drugs. I felt what cheated as was external in community for people like me to heal, than told it was complicated and repair. Talked the problems away, so talked me as patient away and pushed myself as a patient to learn to self heal, also now become very vocal of problems within long term mental health services, no more than waiting rooms.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 05 January 2017

Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 31 January 2017

Hello,
Thank you for your posting. I am sorry that you feel that you did not receive the help which you needed to deal with your past. Please contact me directly so that we can discuss this in greater detail. We can then investigate and provide you with a full response. Alternatively, you could contact your local Healthwatch organisation for assistance. Contact details can be found on our website www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk
E Mail:bht@berkshire.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Lack of treatment for a severely depressed man

It is with great sadness that I feel the need to write something on here, my brother has been suffering from severe depression and now complex multiple mental health problems. He has been trying to get help for months as his family we have called crisis lines, spoken to people since 8/9 December, he was assessed mid January and told he needed support and further medication, no word from anyone, GP knows nothing about what is going on. On calling crisis lines, just told we cannot speak to you as you are not the patient,. Meanwhile the patient is sitting in his own urine, unable to string two words together, starring at a wall in the dark ,hardly eating and in need of serious support. How can the mental health service leave someone in that condition for weeks. He is classed as a vulnerable adult and because he is not out there smashing shop windows, no one takes any notice. As his family we have tried to reach those who can help, but are just kept at arms length. No direct contact. Its a shocking service for a man who is degree educated aged 41. Lets hope he is seen soon and someone actually tries to help him and provide the urgent support he needs.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 31 January 2017

Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 31 January 2017

Hello,
Thank you for your posting and I am sorry that your brother is finding it difficult to access the help that he needs. Please contact me directly so that we can discuss this in greater detail. We will then be able to investigate and provide you with a full response. Alternatively, you could contact your local Healthwatch for assistance. Contact details can be found on our website; www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk
E Mail: bht@berkshire.nhs.uk

Keith DeMonte gave Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Thank you to staff of O.C.U. and ward 5

Dear Sir/Madam, I have just spent a few days at Wexham Park Hospital. My stay was treated with care, respect, and dignity, for which I would like to commend the staff in O.C.U. for their patience and kindness, I was then moved from the unit to Ward 5 where the charge nurse and their staff were excellent on all shifts. I watched and admired the care and dignity each of those staff took on each patient. I certainly would like to point out the high standards that they maintain every single day as there was different staff each day on different shifts. Please make sure you thank them all for their kindness, and loyalty to us patients. Yours sincerely, Keith John DeMonte (patient)

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 23 September 2016

Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 November 2016

Dear Keith,
Thank you for your posting and kind comments. I will forward these to colleagues at Wexham Park Hospital. I am sure that they will appreciate this.

E Mail: trevor.lyalle@berkshire.nhs.uk

Through the cracks gave Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Crisis team in crisis?

Having been under the "care" of the CMHTT and CRISIS due too my depression & suicidal thoughts. I've seen different ppl virtually every time, I've had to spend each appointment telling the same stuff from the start so it's been like the 1st appointment repeated several times.
When I've called them it's been " telephone tennis " back and forth to different members and not put through to someone to help. Today I've just been referred back to my GP. When I actually feel worse and just as if not more suicidal than I did before I started seeing them.

They seem to be not trained to deal with things when you call them

No continuity in care, lack of helpful action (there's some helpful stuff) Telling someone you'll be fine over & over isn't going to work.

Being told "we'll call you to check in" and then not being called when they know how low the person is feeling does the opposite of what they're trying to achieve.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate that they're trying to help but in practice, in my experience it doesn't help and in fact makes me even more frustrated with the system that doesn't only not help, but makes me feel worse and more vulnerable.

If It's failing me & from the other reviews failing others something should be done to address the shortcomings.

Feel lucky if you never need the CMHTT, feel even luckier if you don't need it in West Berks

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 27 June 2016

Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 July 2016

Hello,
Thank you for your posting and valuable feedback. I'm sorry that you have experienced inconsistencies in your care and that you found it unhelpful. I have contacted our Crisis Resolution Home Treatment Team West Berkshire Hub Manager. We are not sure if your concerns relate to the Crisis Resolution Home Treatment Team or the Community Mental Health Team but there has been changes in this area. Can you contact me so that we can discuss this further and establish the facts? We can then provide you with a full response. The CRHTT West Hub Manager would be happy to meet with you also.

Alternatively, you could contact your local Healthwatch organisation for assistance. Contact details can be found on our Website www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk

Tel: 0118 9605027 e mail:trevor.lyalle@berkshire.nhs.uk

Shameful

My daughter had stash so we called 111

After two further calls we were given an appointment for the out of hours clinic in the maternity ward. Wait time was 1 hour and 50 minutes

We arrive on time for the appointment and are then told that we would be seen in approx 1h 30 despite being given an appointment time.

The waiting area was dirty, messy and the receptionist had no idea what was going on with the delays.

We chose to take my daughter home as it was so disgusting we felt it would only make her more sick.

a 3 1/2 hour wait for a 9 month old baby to be seen is not acceptable.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 30 January 2016

Elizabeth Daly, Head of Service Engagement and Experience, Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 March 2016

I am really sorry to hear about your experience of the out of hours clinic. I would be very grateful if you could contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) to talk about when this happened and we can look into this for you.
PALS Telephone: 0118 9605027
Email: bht@berkshire.nhs.uk
Alternatively, and particularly if you would like to remain anonymous, you could contact your local Healthwatch organisation for assistance. Contact details for Healthwatch can be found on our website: www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk
Many Thanks,