Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust

0191 2466800 St. Nicholas Hospital, Jubilee Road, Gosforth , Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE3 3XT

norights reviewed Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust

Left dealing with my emotions and thoughts alone, again.

In February I requested Reasonable Adjustments under the Equality Act, this being that I only have one health professional in any appointments. Even though the was accepted by the manager, there has been a few attempts by this team to get 2 professionals in appointments. These actions from the professionals causes me to be distressed and worsening of my mental health.
Anyway, I had an appointment this week and out of the blue was told that they cannot help. The CPN thinks we are not making progress, which is partially right as I don't trust them after they tried to come into the psychiatrist appointment. This was even after I mentioned the request for Reasonable Adjustments, also, they change the reasons 3 times as why they needed to be there. I was informed to seek counselling elsewhere as they don't offer that service. The problem is that less than 3 weeks ago I was prescribed new medication. By not having a CPN this is leaving me to deal with my medication myself. As no one can say when I will see the Psychiatrist again. The service says if I needed help in the future I would automatically be seen, unfortunately I don't believe that.
The service has mentioned a few times (in a roundabout way) that because of my request for Reasonable Adjustments that is why they don't know how to help me.
Also they know how I am living in my bedroom and have no desire to get out of bed. Do not get me wrong, I know what I should be doing but mentally don't see the reason for doing anything. Technically they say I am not suicidal, although, they know have thoughts of going to bed an not waking up.
How can this NHS trust not accept that I require Reasonable Adjustments? I been a patient for over 10 years, they know my medical history.
How can they just let me go without warning and leave me without help? Especially with new medication.
How will they know if the medication is working effectively? Even if I got an appointment booked in for 3 months time, at least I know, that I may get support then.
Will I have to request again, for Reasonable Adjustments? If I needed to use this service in the future.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 11 October 2017 using Care Opinion

Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Gaynor Jackson gave Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Some good. Some not so good

I have just been transferred mental health services from another treatment team to the northumberland community mental health team and even though theres mere miles apart the two teams couldnt be more different. In the Northumberland area ive had 5 different CPNs and 7 different consultants some of them ive been assigned but never got the chance to even meet before they left again. Im been going through a pretty hard time recently due to medication being ineffective ive been asking to see my consultant since March and still not been given the oppitunity to have an appointment to discuss my concerns. Its made me not believe in the people that are supposed to be there to help

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 01 August 2017

Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 August 2017

Thank you for providing your feedback from your recent contact with the Community Treatment Team. I am disappointed to hear that there have been a number of changes in the personnel involved in your care. In order that we can understand your concerns better please can you contact the Pathway Manager on 01670 844600 who will arrange to meet with you at a convenient time.

stressed to bits reviewed Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust

Feeling let down and alone with no help.

For over a year the care I have received has dwindled to almost non existence. I am dealing with disturbing thoughts for 3 months now and I have tried to get help. But all I am told is we will have a team meeting to discuss how we can help you and we will get back to you. You should be discussing with me what works best for me and how I feel the best way to go forward. It should not be down to a bunch of people who never met me to decide what's best for me. It's disturbing to think that you are discussing everything every patient has said to individuals in confidence. With mentally ill people there has to be a lot of trust with the their therapists, but I don't feel this anymore. I have lost all confidence in this service and the health professionals who work there. To think like this actually scares me, knowing that even if being admitted to hospital I may no get the help there either. I wish I could get the help I desperately need but knowing there is no help available is heartbreaking.
I know there is a lot of other people who are in the same situation as I am and not knowing who to turn to for help. If like me I feel let down and abandoned by this service.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 19 March 2017 using Care Opinion

Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 March 2017

Can we apologise for your experience - we always aim for collaboration between our patients and their care team in planning care and treatment. We are grateful for feedback which can help us to improve and enhance the services we provide so thank you for raising this. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact the Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) on 0800 032 0202.

wheelchairstuntpilot reviewed Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust

Great work

I have had a few weeks of physio and ultrasound on a troublesome elbow problem. I have had the condition for some time, to a point where I couldn't straighten my right elbow to transfer to or from my wheelchair or car and I was effectively house bound for a week or so. The actual main cause of the problem was quickly diagnosed by the physio as tennis elbow. I had no idea that the condition was so debilitating. Anyway, the physio visited me at home initially then I went to Walkergate for physio and ultrasound treatment and after 3 weeks my elbow is fully functioning and almost pain free. I have always had great experiences at Walkergate, but in this case my physio restored my mobility and I cant really thank them enough. Great work.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 29 March 2017 using Care Opinion

Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust replied on 31 March 2017

We would like to thank you for your feedback and are very pleased to hear of your positive experience with our service. We value your comments and these will be shared with our staff. We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your experience, all feedback is valuable and is used to help us continually improve the services that we provide.

no rights reviewed Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust

They will not treat you as an individual

Absolutely diabolical service.
I was transferred to Sunderland North Community Team mid 2015 and I wished I hadn't. When transferred took place I was just told that we do things differently here. No one told me that you don't get to see a psychiatrist unless they think you need to see one. They never can make their own decisions always stating they need to refer back to the team. They now have joint appointment with 2 professionals in with you, even if you tell them that you don't want that and prefer to see someone on their own. According to the Equality Act 2010 it states reasonable adjustments, yet they will not do this.
I have made a complaint and the reply was in reverse psychology and no apology for their actions, words or lack of information was given.
The problems I have encountered since going onto this team are:
A psychiatrist dismissing everything my previous psychiatrist had told them. This doctor refused (twice), appointments even though I had never met them. Unfortunately I have problems with medications becoming less effective over time, if this doctor knew me they would have known this.
The other Psychiatrist based here basically called me a liar, even though I had an advocate with me and they heard the same information. They basically told me I had 30 minutes appointment before they sat down, making me feel that I was wasting their time. They gave misleading information about medication and the side effects. This psychiatrist could not make another appointment for themselves as they said they need to refer to the team. I felt that this doctor was not interested in what I had to say and relied on previous CPN's notes, and the appointment was to make the teams official figures look good.
A CPN based here wrote a care plan out without my input and there was a few things wrong which they knew about. When I told them they just said they means in the future, which I told him wasn't going to happen. They tried to bully me into getting a family member involved, even though they have known for years (mentioned in psychiatrist notes in 2012) that I don't have a good relationship with this person. They constantly failed to listen to me, I even stopped volunteering, slimming club and the gym, yet they did nothing. I mentioned medication and still they refused to refer me on to someone else. They lied to me and said I was getting a new CPN then at the next appointment they said that I would not be getting anyone. The final letter from them still mentioned get my family member involved, a final bullying tactic.
An occupational therapist that constantly asked question after question, giving you no time to think and reply. I felt that they was reading out of a book and tried CBT with me, even though it been stated (2012) that this has no effect on me.
Needless to say with the problems with these people I have asked not to see them again. As, I don't think they can provide adequate care and understanding of my mental health problems. I have been told that I can see another Psychiatrist but it would be based in Houghton and they will not provide help with transport to get there. They even said that this Psychiatrist cannot see me at Monkwearmouth.
I was given a occupational therapist last year and they are off sick since late November. I have tried to get to see someone yet all they give me is a psychologist and the OT that I did not want to see again. I requested to speak to the psychologist by themselves, yet I was refused. The reason was that is not the way they do things. What makes this worse is that I been put on new medication 3 months ago and increased a month later and I have had terrible side effects and can not get the help that I need, unless it on their terms.
I wouldn't wish anyone to use this department, they cannot and will not treat you as an individual.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 02 February 2017 using Care Opinion

Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust replied on 17 February 2017

Thank you for your comments and I apologise for your experience of the service you have received by the Community Treatment Team in Sunderland. We always aim to provide person centered care, personalised to each patient by including them in the planning of their care and treatment. It is therefore important to tailor therapies to fit individual preferences, needs and resources and to evaluate progress in the light of changing situations and we always review progress at least every 6 months. Your posting suggests that this has not taken place in your case, if you would like the opportunity to discuss this further, you can contact Don Stronach on 0191 541 0178 or the Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) on 0800 032 0202.

Anonymous gave Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Cresta clinic Newcastle

I took my severely disabled son for an appointment at the Cresta clinic.. I have to say the whole experience was outstanding, from the cleaning staff to the reception staff, to the nurses, and the consultant. They all had a kind word for Daniel on arrival. Due my son having severe Autism he finds hospital appointments difficult. The atmosphere was lovely and calm, staff so friendly. Refreshments were available. Daniel was very calm throughout our visit and appeared very happy to be there. Thank you to all the staff at the Cresta clinic for making what would normally be a difficult experience for my son a very pleasant one.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 09 January 2017

Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 January 2017

We would like to thank you for your feedback and are very pleased to hear of your positive experience with our service.  We value your comments and these will be shared with our staff. We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your experience, all feedback is valuable and is used to help us continually improve the services that we provide.

Approachable, friendly and just what I needed.

I have always thought I would never call the Northumberland crisis team, but after a change in circumstances and my mental health taking a turn for the worst, I really needed help. The person I spoke to was fantastic on the phone they really reassured me and made me feel I did the right thing by calling. I was seen in the afternoon and for once in 14 years I feel someone has listened to what I need. I could not recommend this service enough, at no point was I judged, told what what was right or wrong just listened to, reassured and coming back with recommendations for the right treatment. Thank you

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 26 November 2016

Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 November 2016

Elaine gave Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

North Tyneside community mental health team impeccable.

I rang the crisis team this morning. They found my file straight away despite my not having accessed mental health services for a couple of years. They were able to tell me the options for immediate help (including letting me feel part of the decision as to whether I needed someone to come and be with me immediately); they referred me back into the community mental health team, they let my GP know their recommendations to act upon as soon as my GP surgery reopened (it's saturday), and they made me feel like I was doing the right thing asking for help, which was a help in itself. I found everybody friendly, helpful, and easy to access. The whole service is seamless. I can't thank them enough.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 08 October 2016

Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust replied on 17 October 2016

Anonymous gave Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

REVIEW OF THIS PLACE

I WAS IN ONE OF THIS TRUST'S PLACES AND FROM THE MOMENT I WALKED IN TO FINALLY BEING ALLOWED BACK INTO THE COMMUNITY(WHICH WE WITH MENTAL ILLNESS ARE EXCLUDED FROM BY THEM WITHOUT MENTAL ILLNESS OH YES IT IS TRUE AND HAPPENS I SHOULD KNOW)IT WAS 1 HORRENDOUS 2 A NIGHTMARE 3 SOMETHING I WILL NEVER FORGET EVEN IF I TRY TO AND 4 NOT RUN PROPLEY. THE PATIENTS ARE MOST OF THE TIME LEFT WITH NOTHING TO DO WATCHED BY THE STAFF EVERY MINUTE OF THE DAY AND SPOKEN TO BY THE STAFF LIKE WE ARE CHILDREN THERE IS NO NEED TO TREAT PEOPLE WITH MENTAL ILLNESS LIKE THIS WE ARE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST JUDGED ON EVERYTHING WE SAY AND SOMETHING ELSE THAT IS NOT TRUE ABOUT US WE ARE ALWAYS BRANDED A RISK TO OTHER PEOPLE WHEN WE ARE NOT. WE ARE PEOPLE TOO WHO ARE ILL AND WE ALSO HAVE FEELINGS AND DESERVE TO BE HELPED WITH OUR ILLNESS. PEOPLE TREATED IN THE ENVIRONMENT THEY ARE USED TO BUT AS THEY ARE OPEN AS PEOPLE MIGHT NEED TO BE IN THESE PLACES THEN IT'S ABOUT TIME THE PEOPLE GOT MUCH BETTER TREATMENT FROM THE PEOPLE WHO KEEP SAYING THEY WANT TO HELP YOU WHILE IN THERE. I HOPE OTHER PEOPLE WOULD AGREE WITH WHAT MY REVIEW SAY'S.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 03 March 2017

Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 March 2017

Firstly we would like apologise for the experience you have had. It is disappointing that your review suggests that there was a lack of collaborative care between you and your care team, and that standards of behaviour, attitudes and value which we expect were not evident. Thank you for raising your concerns as it helps us to improve and enhance the services we provide. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact the Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) on 0800 032 0202.

rude and abrupt

In desperate need of help and in crisis i rang at 9am to speak to a duty officer. At 10am i rang again. In total i rang 6 times. Eventually, in real distress i said i would come to the cmht and wait to see a duty officer. I was told if i did they would call the police and i would be arrested. I am 63 years old. The attitude of the duty worker when they did eventually call me was unsympathetic and very curt and rude. I was so distressed i self medicated. My partner has since tried to ring duty officers with the same results. No one rings back. We are ill. We have feelings. We hurt. Mental illness is just that...an illness. If we had any other illness would we be treated so badly. As for the psychiatrist at north shields cmht...it seems they tell most of their patients the same. They dont have a mental illness and any ither diagnosis they ignore. I have bpd and i am suicidal. They recommended to ignore any threats of suicide as it is unlikely i would carry them through. Last year i tried to commit suicide and almost succeeded. I needed cpr to start me breathing. I have since attempted suicide again due to his report. Our mental health system needs to be more closely monitered

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 02 January 2016

Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.