South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust

020 3513 5000 Springfield Hospital, 61 Glenburnie Road , London, SW17 7DJ

tallseaniebaby reviewed South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust

well being course

I just want to congratulate the team as this course was able to deal with people at all stages in their recovery. I feel ready to face the world with a new perspective.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 06 October 2017 using Care Opinion

South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust a rating of 4 stars

Rose Ward

Having just spent three months on this acute ward it has been one of the most positive acute admissions I've experienced.

Although the ward can be disruptive and chaotic at times, as is to be expected with acute admissions, it also had periods of peace and being settled.

I generally felt safe, crises were mostly well managed and I felt that my risk to myself was seen and responded to appropriately.

Within the team (and regular bank) are a core group of excellent nurses, junior doctors, HCAs, Ward manager and OT; some beyond excellent

A very difficult incident occurred during my admission and the post incident management was dealt with appropriately, with staff ensuring that patients' needs were the priority.

I was given the time I needed to work through issues that led to my admission and several issues which presented during the admission.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 05 September 2017

South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust has not yet replied.

Precious2501 reviewed South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust

It is amazing how much better I am

I have attended several courses run by this organisation and I have learnt so much from them. I particularly enjoyed relaxation and meditation and mindfulness meditation. The tutors are very good and honest about their own personal recovery which gives me hope. They are helpful and have helped me loads on the road to healing. The problem solving course had a huge impact on my life and as a result I am less stressed and more able to problem solve using the tools I was given. Its amazing how much better I am now one day at a time.
Thank you for all you have done for me

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 06 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Patient Experience Lead, Governance, South West London and St George's Mental Health Trust replied on 08 September 2017

Dear Precious 2501
My name is Jane and I am one of the Experience and Governance Leads for the Trust. Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is always a pleasure to hear that people have benefitted from the services we provide and I will ensure that your feedback is passed onto the staff concerned.
Jane

JMF reviewed South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust

Poor experience of SWLSTG Contact Centre

I am a patient under the care of East Wandsworth CMHT at Springfield Hospital. Both the SWLSTG website and my care plan state that if I wish to discuss my care I should contact the named professional in my care plan. However, having recently tried to make contact for a routine reason I found this to be extremely difficult. In my experience, the ‘Contact Centre’ is misnamed, because the role of the switchboard operators appears to be to prevent rather than facilitate access to clinical staff.
My consultant psychiatrist (my named professional) invited me to contact themselves or an administrator by telephone if I wished to bring forward an appointment. When I needed to do so I rang the switchboard/contact centre and identified myself as a patient and the reason for my call. On the four occasions I phoned I was given the following ‘reasons’ for not putting me through to my consultant:
Consultants are too busy to answer the phone
Doctors don’t take phonecalls
Doctors don’t talk to patients
Consultants are in clinic all day every day
I find these reasons to be somewhat spurious. Having a mental illness makes me ill, not stupid. Being spoken to as if I am stupid is upsetting and stigmatising, and not what I would have expected from a mental health trust.
When I asked if I could speak to an administrator, on two of the four occasions the operator said a message would be passed on to the CMHT; however, nobody ever responded to these. On another two occasions the operator said that they had tried to connect me with an administrator but nobody was answering the phone, so I should call back another time. They said it wasn’t possible for me to leave a voicemail.
After the fourth failed attempt in ten days I felt I had no choice but to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) for assistance. The intervention of PALS led to a call back from a CMHT administrator, for which I was grateful. However, I don't believe it should be necessary for PALS to intervene to facilitate such routine contact with clinical or administrative staff, particularly when I was only trying to follow the advice on the trust’s website and in my care plan. Overall this was a deeply disappointing experience and left me feeling as if the trust is actively deflecting patients in their attempts to seek help.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 23 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Patient Experience Lead, Governance, South West London and St George's Mental Health Trust replied on 02 October 2017

Dear JMF,
My name is Jane and I am one of the Experience and Governance Leads for the Trust. I was very disappointed to read of your experiences with the Trust contact centre and would like to acknowledge, and apologise for, the distress that you have experienced.
I have passed your comments onto the manager of the service and asked that they consider the concerns you have raised, as well as ways in which the service can be improved.
I am pleased to note that you were able to speak to the correct person eventually, although clearly you should have not needed to make contact with PALS to do so. If you would like to take this matter forward as a formal complaint you can do so by emailing [complaints@swlstg.nhs.uk](mailto:complaints@swlstg.nhs.uk) or by telephone on 0203 513 6150
jane

B-user reviewed South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust

Sunshine Recovery Cafe

I've been using the Sunshine Recovery Cafe for the past few weeks now and have been finding it so helpful. Using it and knowing it is there every single day whatever happens with my services, or whether it is a weekend or not is really wonderful. Going to it when I feel myself going downhill or struggling stops me getting to the point of crisis and I really believe if I'd had this in the last few years it could have prevented me from getting sectioned/ending up in hospital. The staff are helpful and friendly and the light atmosphere with creative activities and signposting is so much better than conventional services.One thing that could be improved would be if the cafe was accessible to under 18's.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 14 August 2017 using Care Opinion

Claire Reid, South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust replied on 29 August 2017

Dear B-user,
My name is Claire Reid and I am the Engagement and Experience Co-ordinator with the Trust. I want to thank you for taking the time to leave a posting about our services.
I am glad that you are finding the Recovery Café helpful, when you are in a crisis and know that you are able to access them on a weekend- when services operate Monday to Friday 9-5.
I am glad that you have found the staff helpful and friendly and I will pass all your comments to the relevant manager to pass onto the staff at the café. I will ask them about the access to the cafes.

B-user reviewed South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust

Ward experience

Ward 3 on Springfield is a nice ward physically- there is outdoor space and it is decorated well. But in terms of treatment my experience was appalling. I found it to be very hierarchical and the doctors were very patronising and bullying and it felt like they dehumanise you. I didn't think there were enough Healthcare assistants or people who actually spend time with the patients and I had no involvement in my own care/making decisions, even when the advocates get involved- the doctors don't listen to them. Out of all the wards I've ever been on this one is the worst experience because the doctors made me feel utterly worthless and like I might as well give up trying to get well at all.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 14 August 2017 using Care Opinion

Dear B-user,
Many thanks for taking the time to post about your experience with our services, namely Ward 3.
I am sorry that you found the Dr's patronising and bullying and that there were not enough staff to talk to patients. It is disappointing to read that you were not involved in decisions about your care.
I will pass your comments onto the Clinical Director of the service line and all the relevant managers, so your comments can be addressed.
If you would like to make a formal complaint about your experience on Ward 3, please don't hesitate to contact the Patient Experience Team either by email ([complaintsmanager@swlstg-tr.nhs.uk](mailto:complaintsmanager@swlstg-tr.nhs.uk)) or on 020 3513 6150.
Claire

Bordelinemoji reviewed South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust

The environment is healing and safe

I love giving good feedback, I attended the journalling course over 6 weeks I managed to get to 4 classes and was late every time which makes me really anxious but the course facilitators made me feel so comforable, which is rare, it made it easy to go back. Journalling is a great tool, im expressing myself and enjoying the benefits and will certainly be back to do more courses at RC HQ.
I Value the time and enery, peer trainers are so compassionate unlike GP and Psychiatrist, the environment is healing and safe which appeals to me as I struggle with ptsd anxiety symptom:
Really impressed

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 02 June 2017 using Care Opinion

Claire Reid, South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust replied on 07 June 2017

Dear Borderlinemoji,
My name is Claire and I am the Engagement and Experience Lead for the Trust. I want to thank you for taking the time to post about your experience with the Recovery College.
It is great to read that your were made to feel comfortable by the course facilitators and you have found it easier to go back to the group. I am glad you are able to utilize the tools that you have learnt in the Journaling course.
Please be assured that I will pass your great feedback onto the course facilitators and the managers of the Recovery College so they can see the feedback received. It is brilliant to hear that you have found the course facilitators compassionate.
I wish you all the best in the next courses you attend and all the best in your continued recovery journey,

Sterling reviewed South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust

Mindfulness course

Excellent course on Mindfulness at the Recovery College.

Dear Sterling,
My name is Claire and I am the Engagement and Experience Co-ordinator for the Trust. Thank you for posting about the Mindfulness course at the Recovery College. I am glad you have found it to be excellent.
I hope that this course will encourage you to see what other courses are available to attend- there is quite the variety!
I wish you all the best on your continued recovery journey
Many Thanks
Claire

anonymous parent reviewed South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust

inappropriate fire alarm

My child and I attended an outpatient mental health appointment at the Richmond Royal outpatient hospital in Richmond on Wednesday afternoon. while we were waiting the fire alarm went off. It apparently is a test done every week.
However, I was outraged because the sound of the alarm is that of the panic alarm at inpatient psychiatric hospitals. My child flipped out and I had to run out to get them and calm them down. They almost didn't go into this key appointment. The other patient in the waiting room, who was middle-aged, was also upset by it.
I think you need to put in an alarm with a different kind of sound. We couldn't believe that the administrators could have that kind of alarm sound. It's triggering. It's the sound when an inpatient has escaped a locked facility; somebody is being attacked; someone is endangering themselves; or there is a violent situation so that all staff come running.
Please change it.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 02 June 2017 using Care Opinion

Claire Reid, South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust replied on 13 June 2017

Dear Anonymous parent,
My name is Claire and I am the Engagement and Experience Co-ordinator at the Trust. I want to apologise for not being able to respond to your post straight away. I passed your comments straight onto the relevant managers to gain a response to post to you.
The facilities manager explained to me that sirens are used as they penetrate hearing more than a bell, which is to prompt a rapid response. The manager has informed me that the reception area will be putting up posters announcing that the fire alarm will be tested every Wednesday at 2pm.
Unfortunately we cannot change the system sound as yet but please be assured that the Trust is reviewing the Trust’s estates and this feedback will be seriously considered as part of our transformation strategy in improving our facilities.

Cpt Nemo reviewed South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust

Feeling Good!

A few years ago I was introduced to the Recovery College (R/C), Springfield by my care coordinator. My first course at the R/C was to Help people with complex needs, for me this was the first step to understanding why I was feeling and behaving the way I was at the time. I have Been on several courses, all I found helped me address different issues to do with my mental health and well being. With the help and encouragement from all the fantastic staff at the R/C I feel I'm able to do more things and feel far more happy with hope for my future.
I continue to use the R/C and have started to contribute to the Art on the Walls project.
the way I feel about the people and the R/C is hard to describe in words. So to show how much they mean to me I hope to volunteer at the R/C some time soon as a way of giving back, using my experience to help and inspire others on the road to their Recovery.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 08 June 2017 using Care Opinion

Clinical Manager, Recovery Pathway, South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust replied on 08 June 2017

My name is Phyllis Prendergast-Flynn and I am the Clinical Manager for this service. It is really heart warming to hear stories like yours and I am sure this feedback makes the trainers at the College feel a great deal of job satisfaction.
Delighted to hear you hope to volunteer in due course.
Best wishes for a continued recovery.
Phyllis