Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust

020 8702 3000 Trust Headquarters, Orchard House, St Ann's Hospital, St Ann's Road , London, N15 3TH

Anonymous gave Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

The Worst Medical Care I've Ever Experienced!

I wouldn't take a dog for treatment at this place! I've been struggling since 2014 after a massive overdose that saw me in critical care for two days. Following this it took me over a year to get an appointment despite my GP regularly chhasing.

For the last two years there has been no improvement in my overall mood. The doctor continues to make any changes to my medication and the psychotherapist I wa assigned to has been sick for almost a year so I've had no psychological therapy either. I appreciate that someone is ill but in my field someone has to take up the slack. In fact the work we had previously don't might well not have happened and I guess if I ever get to see someone again we won't be starting from scratch.

The doctor barely listens to me, in fact I get the distinct impression I'm nothing more than nuisance! The doctor clearly doesn't believe me as it seems to be necessary for my partner to attend. There is clearly no trust and I've never had a doctor-patient relationship like it in my whole life. I have had to even ask to finish what I'm saying as the doctor interrupts with such joys as 'what do you want to get out of today'. This is a highly irrelevant as I will be ignored so don't even bother answering me the question. I've made my position clear that my medication isn't working for me but he'll im only the patient so you ignore me and patronise me by telling me we need to wait told the next review in several months which then becomes the next review and then the next. Thankfully my partner has been with me and he is if the same opinion so at least I'm not being delusional.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter because this is the NHS and if you are referred here you are stuck with it. If that isn't dead enough the building is so depressing. There is nothing about this place which would help anyone recover in any way from their mental health problems. After every visit I feel so down and depressed and hopeless with a feeling of no way out.

Avoid at all costs if you can. If you can't then good luck, you'll need it. I'm contemplating seeing my MP and making an official complaint as I'm at my wits end. This is no way to treat anyone especially those desperately needing help for complex or serious mental health problems.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 17 August 2017

Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust replied on 29 August 2017

Thank you for your comment and I am sorry that you feel this way about your experience at BEH-MHT. We try hard to understand where we do things well and where we could do it better and would appreciate your contact via the patient experience office if you would like to discuss your experience further or raise any issue as a complaint. The contact details are patient.experience@beh-mht.nhs.uk or alternatively phone 020 8702 4700.

Anonymous reviewed Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust

Awful

I have been helping a vulnerable relative to get assessment and have the care organized for her through the trust, There are rules even within this review that are absolutely unsound if you want good medical care and review of that care. Negligence? where do I start? If I can leave a one phrase comment : this service does not treat vulnerable people as such - they don't understand what a mental illness is! (ironic aint'' it?) My cousin was put through challenges she could not meet and thus we need to look elsewhere as I spent more time on the phone and email regarding the problems with the service. I would have used this time better simply talking and taking my relative outside for a breath of fresh air.
If you had a good doctor and a good experience give hints how others can have a similar good care. Otherwise, if you are vulnerable, do not risk it. The service is likely to make you and your relatives feel ridiculous !

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 30 July 2017

Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust replied on 29 August 2017

Thank you for your comment and I am sorry that you feel this way about your experience as a carer at BEH-MHT. We try hard to understand where we do things well and where we could do it better and would appreciate your contact via the patient experience office if you would like to discuss your experience further or raise any issue as a complaint. The contact details are patient.experience@beh-mht.nhs.uk or alternatively phone 020 8702 4700.

Waste of TIME

Low mood panic attacks I begged for help!! Didn't receive any left me instead suicidal.. staff who are unprofessional and condescending. Always loosing paperwork often don't even bother to turn up!! Been waiting over 5months on an URGENT REFERRAL :( Go private if you can afford IT

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 07 March 2017

Kaylum clifford reviewed Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust

Poor quality of follow up care leg and alsure clinic

My uncle came out of hospital and was sentenced to forest road clinic iv been trying to contact forest road and te nursing department they passed my uncle on to, to have his dressing changed there suppose to be changed two to three days today it's day twelve and there saying someone's will come tomorrow they better this is ludicrous

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 04 April 2017

Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust replied on 12 May 2017

We are very sorry to learn of the experiences you have had at this Trust. We would like to invite you to contact us at patient.experience@beh-mht.nhs.uk with your details so that we can investigate the specific issues you raise with the service manager.

Miss Leela Davis gave Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

I was inpatient at Dennis Scott Unit, Edgware Hospital Feb17

All the staff from the Consultant to the Health Worker Assistants to the Nurses to the Specialist Psychiatrist proved that the U.K.;s National Health Service is not in crisis at all but a diamond shining in the Commonwealth Nations for free healthcare. Amen

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 03 April 2017

Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust replied on 19 April 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a warm and appreciative comment on your experience as an inpatient in the Dennis Scott Unit. We share these comments with all the staff concerned on a regular basis recognising how important positive comment is to maintaining staff morale in challenging times. Thank you.

Jo Collins
Head of Patient Experience

Assessments

Was assessed by two different psychiatric 'specialists', as needing a particular kind of help, then, offered something else, totally different , something which I was advised, would not be right for me. I feel it is all a farce, a waste of time. People are being paid to do a job they are just not doing very well. Very disappointed, very anxious. Feel very alone.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 09 August 2017

Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust replied on 29 August 2017

Thank you for your comment and I am sorry that you feel this way about your experience at BEH-MHT. We try hard to understand where we do things well and where we could do it better and would appreciate your contact via the patient experience office if you would like to discuss your experience further so we might help you resolve the issues you raise. The contact details are patient.experience@beh-mht.nhs.uk or alternatively phone 020 8702 4700.

Poor

Referrals are constantly lost or "over looked", staff are unprofessional and do not read paper work. No one seems to know what they are doing, and if you question their methods, you are met with hostility. I do not want to have to worry about bruising someone's ego when seeking treatment, but it seems that is what I will have to do to get anywhere. Still awaiting treatment 5 months since urgent referral. My advice is, if you can, then go elsewhere. If you can get a loan for private treatment, then do it. You will get no where with Barnet, if anything they will make you worse.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 03 January 2017

Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust replied on 12 May 2017

We are very sorry to learn of some of the experiences you have had at this Trust and would like to invite you to contact the patient experience team at patient.experience@beh-mht.nhs.uk to let us know of the details so that we might discuss with the service manager.

Poor Support for Mental Health

Within my experience as a parent of a young adult, who has been diagnosed with Schizophrenia, this NHS Trust, in particular Enfield, fails to adequately address family concerns surrounding the vulnerability and wellbeing of the patient. In turn, the Trust continues to let the patient down. They do not engage or communicate with the family and ignore complaints, raised and submitted to patient experience. I was of the view that a complaint should be acknowledged within three days and then the usual investigation should follow. This has not been my experience.
This poor service amplifies anxieties and fears which are ever present within families living with relatives with Schizophrenia. This Trust effectively promotes ill will between the patient and the family by its failures to provide a quality service which would lessen, rather than exacerbate problems when they arise.
When a patient has been released into the community, they should be supported to live some form of, quality life, not left on their own. The impact and level of stress which this then places on the family is enormous and is making me ill. Surely this Trust can be made accountable for making me ill!
Additionally, the patient sees a Care Coordinator and periodically a Psychiatrist who are unconcerned about what the family has to say, about the patient’s wellbeing; no in depth assessment is made and once again no satisfactory or effective measures are employed to assist the patient. The attitude seems to be, ‘we’ve seen it all before, so next patient please!’
These patient visits also all appear to be mundane rituals, which these people engage in, to prove that they are employed. Firm, positive or realistic outcomes are not achieved but there appears to be no accountability; apart from, ‘we are sorry that we did not meet our service expectations,’ is all that results. Where does this leave the patient and their family?
In order, to support the patient proper engagement and communication has to be present and subsequently a care plan should be devised which addresses the present failings. This has never happened in my experience with this Trust.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 17 November 2016

Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust replied on 24 November 2016

We are very sorry to learn of the experiences you have had at this Trust. We would invite you to contact us at patient.experience@beh-mht.nhs.uk with your details so that we can investigate the specific issues you raise with the service manager.

Graham Standish gave Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

My doctor

My doctor is the best Dr in this place they have helped me in every way they could plus more they are the old school doctor who does deep down care for u I have been under them for nearly 3 years I feel comfortable to talk to plus the Dennis Scott unit do the best with what they have I would not be here now if the Dr wasn't help thank u to everyone in the Dennis Scott unit

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 02 September 2016

Let down

I was referred to this trust for crisis intervention. I was seen within 4 hours for an initial assessment which took 30minutes max, and then the home treatment team visited me daily for a week, some were nice and some were abrupt , same questions every day, then it went to alternate days and then twice a week. I was trailed on a different medication which didn't work, which is fair enough, the psychiatrists that I saw were unprepared and hadn't read my notes and didn't know me- and would have known that I suffer from anxiety so seeing different people all the time was stressful. I was let down with phone calls not being returned and visits not being carried out as they were too busy, so I didn't count. I kept being told told that I was being referred to another team, and that took 3 months to start the process, a month for an initial appointment another month before seeing the psychiatrist (for a 20 minute appointment that stated that I was stable) and to be put on a waiting list for therapy. And now still waiting for therapy. I know that services are busy and the everyone is stretched but surely it would be much kinder to say to someone that has depression and anxiety with incredibly low self esteem and worthlessness that they are struggling for staff and that there will be a long wait rather than you will hear from us soon... how long is soon? Almost 7 months and still not in therapy and on a waiting list that I cannot be told how long it is or how long I will have to wait for the said treatment. They say that I can phone and talk to them, but I can't do that, it is really hard for me to do that. So there I am on a list somewhere in the ether and I feel totally forgotten about and left to manage on my own. Thankfully I have a great GP who I am able to talk to, but they have limited time and is not a specialist, which is why they referred me... its sad that a trust that boasts about all that it does and that it sounds good on paper and with all the policies etc seems not to actually care about the patients that they have, that are on the waiting lists !!! Who knows what will have happened by the time an appointment is actually made? I feel that I am left and struggling internally with all of this, burn. To the outside world everything looks fine.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 07 December 2016