Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust

01865 901000 Warneford Hospital, Warneford Lane, Headington , Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX3 7JX

Anonymous gave Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

2 year waiting list for sever bulimia recovery.

I am shocked to be completely honest. To have been suffering for a long time with the worst relationship with food and my body and to go into an assessment needing and wanting support but to be told that I'm in control of my body and I'm the only one who can make my self stop binging and purging and that there is no "magic wand" to make this go away has left me in a suisical & distressed state. The whole assement I was told that nothing can be done to help me and because I stated that I was struggling to make my self stop binging and purging and that I don't known how to even start the process of recovery. To be told that It sounds like I do not want to recover after all I have been though is just shocking. I am shocked by the lack of support comming from cotswold house. I've been told that therepy is the last stage of recovery and I need to stop binging and purging to have therepy and hopefully "I might not even need therapy or therapy might not be right for me. Its as if they are so limited on staff they are trying to avoid therepy to those it need unless they are underweight. They said that therapy was used at the end of recovery.. So how are we all supposed to know the tools to stop our EDS WITHOUT INTERVENTION and ongoing support. I have had therapy for sever anxiety at the warneford and it has been LIFE changing. I know what is right for me. The assessment did everything but empower me. Everything I said was manipulated to make me looks as though I was being defiant when actually I was saying I didn't know how to stop. Not that I didn't want to. I think it's a shame because people do go to these assessment as a last resort and to be dismissed so easily can't be good for most of us. It's funny since my binge eating has lead me to be over weight and I'm told that I need to stop my eating disorder by myself and that my bulimia could kill me but therapy might not be right for me? But it's seems as though girls who have different eating disorders are given help which is what I can confirm from a friend receiving treatment for anorexia at cotswold house. I understand some one with anorexia may be as more immediate risk but every one and every type of eating disorder should be a priority. I really think they should work on empowerment, values & communication because no one should leave an assessment feeling worse than what they where before. Extremely Extremely let down. I was told that my exceptions from the service where Bascily incorrect. The website states "Outpatients receive individual therapy, dietetic and medical review as needed". I understand that there is process but the information communicated to me was that I could see a dietician once followed by one checkup and that was it. Either communication was poor and there will be further support or they really are not bothered but they should communicate more effectively and make the program clear, patients should be heavily involved and informed of thier care plan and the recovery path.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 11 October 2017

Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 17 October 2017

Dear Anon,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and I am very sorry to read of your experience around the length of wait you are experiencing, the lack of support you are receiving and how let down you feel.

We take all feedback about our services seriously and I would be grateful if you could contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS@oxfordhealth.nhs.uk or 0800 328 7971) so that we can work with you to ensure we learn from your experience to improve the service provided.

With best wishes

Absolutely Awful

Referalls lost, bounced back and forward between hospitals. Waiting over a year for a surgery. No care by admin staff to manage records and paperwork carefully resulting in further delays and errors. GP waiting times are often 3 weeks or more. Just dreadful. Waiting weeks for response from PALS - assuming they are overworked given the mess the trust is in.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 08 September 2017

Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 September 2017

Dear Anon,

I am sorry to read of your concern around your referral being lost and how you are being bounced back and forth between hospitals. I was wondering if you could please contact PALS either via email- pals@oxfordhealth.nhs.uk or 0800 328 7971 to discuss this matter in more detail as I am not aware Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust have anything to do with surgery procedures and would like to look into this matter in more detail.

With best wishes

Anonymous reviewed Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust

wintle ward staff excellent

I just wanted to say how excellent the staff and set up is on Wintle ward. I have had friends in other mental health institutions in Aylesbury treated abysmally and so was a bit worried when another friend needed admitting on section.
I found staff on Wintle ward to be:
Welcoming
understanding
Compassionate
Knowledgeable
Flexible
Friendly
Good at listening
Good at de-escalating potential crisis points
the nurse who admitted my friend impressed me hugely. So thankful there are staff and wards like Wintle, wish all mental health institutions were as good.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 29 March 2017

Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 25 April 2017

Dear Anon,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such lovely feedback regarding your experience on Wintle Ward at the Warneford Hospital.
I will share this lovely feedback with the relevant manager for the ward.

With kind regards

butterflybella reviewed Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust

the transformation in my daughter through the support

My daughter was initially referred to CAMHs and we had some problems seeing different camhs practitioners and I felt helpless. My daughter was in a bad place, depressed, locking herself in her room and self harming at times.
My daughter was then allocated a barnardos buddy. She saw them for 6 weeks and the transformation in my daughter through the support and care of this wonderful person enabled her to go back to school and it feels like I have my old daughter back. She now attends after school clubs has interests comes out of bedroom and speaks with the family.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 02 June 2017 using Care Opinion

Sarah Woods, PALS officer, Complaints & PALS Team, Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 June 2017

Dear Butterflybella,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback around your daughters experience with a barnardos buddy and it is lovely to read how your daughter has transformed with this support.
I will share your lovely feedback with the relevant manager of the service and if you would like to discuss anything in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) on 0800 328 7971.
Best wishes

Terrible service

I have been waiting for help since September 2015 - after a number of assessments and being constantly advised I have moderate-severe symptoms I was provided with online CBT 8 weeks later then a book 6 months later (which has the same content and would suit someone with mild-moderate symptoms) I am now waiting for level 3 help which I should have been progressed to months ago as I was not making progress. I am still waiting and they do not know how long until I will be contacted! Leaving me to live on medication including diazepam, with a resting heart rate of 131. My symptoms have been getting worse whilst waiting and it is quite frankly appalling. A family member got help within 6 weeks at the king edward hospital in windsor - I wish I was in their catchment area and could have applied for their help! Why does it seem you're left to deteriorate whilst waiting for help? Putting the pressure back onto GPs and A&E departments who can not offer the help you need! I can understand the news of people self harming, attempting suicide etc whilst waiting for help and the NHS trusts say they never should have waited so long for help....!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 08 June 2016

Sarah Woods, PALS officer, Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 June 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your experience and I am sorry to read that you have been waiting for such a long time to receive level three treatment and the service is not able to confirm when this will be provided to you.
I would welcome you to contact PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) to discuss your experience in more detail. We can be contacted on 0800 328 7971 or mailto:pals@oxfordhealth.nhs.uk

Anonymous reviewed Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust

6 months wait and counting for mental health assessments

Waiting time for children's mental health is totally unacceptable. Referred in May, it is now almost December and still no initial assessment offered. Nothing. This is for a family in crisis and a child with suspected autism, anger issues and low self esteem. Without diagnosis, school can provide nothing. If only we had the £5000 to have a private assessment. A shocking state of affairs.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 23 November 2016

Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 24 November 2016

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and I am sorry to read that you there has been such a long wait to have an assessment completed and without this the school are not able to help.

Please be assured we take all feedback about our Trust seriously and I would be grateful if you could contact PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) on 0800 328 7971 so we can look into your concerns in more detail and make the relevant team aware of your experience.

Appalling

Was ref'd to the crisis team after being unwell. Team were kind, but hopelessly understaffed and always in a rush and over reliant on drugs. Psychiatrist assessment seemed to only be about ticking boxes. I was then given a care coordinater who was initially helpful, and said what they could offer me. However, none of it actually happened - no crisis plan or care plan or assistance to avoid becoming ill again. I was then discharged from their care without even being notified, and sent an appointment to see a consultant I have never met in three months! I did have hope that the mental health team would be able to help me, but if anything they have made things worse, as now I know how frighteningly bad the 'care' really is. I'm sure that people do their best, but the system, understaffing and pressure is overwhelmingly evident. I wouldn't see them again in any circumstance.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 18 September 2016

Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback with regards to your experience and I very sorry to read of your concerns.

We would welcome you contacting our PALS team (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) so we can look into your concerns in more detail and make the relevant team aware of your experience so learning can come out of this. If you could please contact PALS either via email- PALS@oxfordhealth.nhs.uk or via telephone 0800 328 7971.

Anonymous gave Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Impossible if you need help

The mental health services offered by this trust are incompetent, inadequate, and consistently fail to think before they make decisions. The Crisis Team generally do not want to help, and made me feel as though I was being a burden- not helpful for somebody who feels guilt easily, and punishes myself through self harm when I feel I have bothered somebody. I was informed by one member of staff that I was an intelligent young lady who shouldn't be feeling the way I do, and trivialised my feelings of suicide and panic. I am stunned that a mental health professional could be so ignorant to suggest that being intelligent means you shouldn't have a mental health problem.

After attending A and E with hearing voices and panic attacks, I was informed that I would be referred to the community mental health team who would contact me in the morning to arrange a visit. This gave me a glimmer of hope for recovery and having support to with the things I'm experiencing. Instead, I was phoned by somebody from the team who said they would support me for 2 days before discharging me. After being reassured by lovely and caring staff at the John Radcliffe that support would be put in place, this response from community bought all hope crashing down.

It's frustrating that the efforts of fantastic organisations such as Mind, and the EDPS at the JR to get people back on track are jeopardised and wasted by Oxford Health.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 02 January 2016

Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Appalling behavior by Adult Mental Health Team. Avoid.

I am not allowed to enlarge on this as it would break the rules of the site. Suffice to say, the "consultant" should have been reprimanded but the video evidence was not admissable because the consultant did not give permission. Protect their own rather than their patients. Appalling standards of care at all times with this Trust. I would avoid at all costs if at all possible.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 18 September 2016

Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 September 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback with regards to one of our Adult Mental Health Teams. I am sorry to read of your concerns around a Trust Consultant and the standard of care you have received.
If you wish to discuss any of your concerns in more detail, please do call PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) on 0800 328 7971.

Paula Ramsden reviewed Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust

Unsuitable care

This trust operates a rigid functional protocol, which is widely recognised as unsuitable to complex or long-term issues. I was sadly incarcerated in Ruby Ward in July 2015, and have suffered ever since from PTSD (diagnosed by a private psychiatrist, which is definitely best if you can afford it) as a result of the experience. Bit much on top of the problems I had already. PALS complaints procedure results in unhelpful response from Clinical Director, which simply ignores everything unlikely to result in legal action, even if you make it clear this is not what you're after. Such lack of engagement with real issues makes me suspect that poor, if legal, practice is fairly common throughout this trust.

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 25 September 2017

Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 September 2017

I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with the services you have received from Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust and that you did not feel you received a satisfactory response when you raised your concerns through the Patient Advice and Liaison Service. We take all feedback about our services seriously and I would be grateful if you could contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS@oxfordhealth.nhs.uk or 0800 328 7971) again so that we can work with you to ensure we learn from your experience to improve the service provided.