Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust

01325 552000 Trust Headquarters, West Park Hospital, Edward Pease Way , Darlington, Durham, DL2 2TS

Anonymous gave Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Overview of my experience (very briefly)

2016 - I took a serious overdose in February and was hospitalised for a number of days. Upon discharge I was handed a leaflet with some websites on (half of which did not apply to myself) and told that they 'would consider a referral to IAPT', even though I had told the, that I considered IAPT to be incompetent. I was shocked that after attempting to end my own life that was all the help I got - nothing in effect. By April I lost my job which made my depression deteriorate even further. I was eventually referred to see a counsellor late in the year, but found them to be of little help as they did not understand my way of thinking given my Asperger's and merely appeared to quote common sense to me. In December I took another overdose and went to a mental health hospital following this one. That experience was so horrific that it has led to a formal complaint, which has been dealt with so poorly that it is now with the Ombudsman and I have written to the Chief Executive. I was discharged to the care of CMHT but have only received three assessments since then and no help thus far. I unsurprisingly overdosed again. In the midst of all this I'm dealing with an Employment Tribunal claim...is it any wonder that I have no faith in humanity?

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 23 June 2017

Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 June 2017

We are very sorry to hear of the experience you have had with our services and the personal difficulties you are dealing with at this time. I note that you are in contact with the Ombudsman about your complaint. However, should you wish us to share this comment with the individual service, or discuss your comment further, please do not hesitate to contact one of our Patient & Carer Experience Managers, Matthewthompson1@nhs.net or by telephone on 0191 3336531.

Let down carer reviewed Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust

Why did the Crisis Team not respond when requested?

In May this year, I tried to call the crisis team in for my partner, who was suffering a serious relapse in her mental health.
I always believed that the team were there 24/7 but, no. Couldn't get an answer until 9am on the Saturday morning. Details were taken over the phone, who asked me to ring another number (which I did).
After going through all the details again on the new number, (social services) I was told that someone would ring me back when they get in. After about an hour, someone did ring and asked me why I had rang them? I explained I had been told to and they made a few calls then rang me back again and left a voicemail. They said they had rang the crisis team and requested they attend to assess my partner. They had said "they're not prepared to do that and quite frankly, I can't make them!...So, there we are I'm afraid". My daughter phoned 111 for advice. The operator made a few calls then phoned me back. They sent an ambulance, (which was on site for an hour and a half) but my partner would not go in it, so it was stood down.
Next morning. The social worker rang me again to say they were going down with 2 doctors to assess my partner and could I be there to let them in? This was done and they left to set things in motion to admit her. About 4 hours later, they returned with another ambulance. But. She still wouldn't go in the ambulance. Police were called and waited another hour. They called the police again but they refused to get involved without a warrant.
This left her alone all night again and all day Monday. Tuesday, I got another call from the social worker asking me to be there again to let them in, as they were coming with an ambulance again and the police would be in attendance this time.
A successful admission to West Park Hospital was made this time. A big thank you to the social workers and the marvellous ambulance crews (3)
What I want to know is! ! Why the crisis team did not respond when requested. As she had only been out of hospital 9 weeks, surely this should have set alarm bells ringing! This needs looking into!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 27 June 2017 using Care Opinion

Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 June 2017

We are sorry to hear about the experience you have had with our services, this is not the standard we would expect and we will be looking into the concerns raised in your feedback. Our crisis teams should provide an assessment of all referrals to their teams and therefore it is essential that we understand what has happened on this occasion that you feel we did not meet your needs in relation to that. Should you wish to discuss this further or raise a concern more formally please contact PALS team on 0800 052 0219 or email PALS on tewv.pals@nhs.net so that they can facilitate a specific discussion with the team to address your concerns. Or alternately please do not hesitate to contact one of our Patient & Carer Experience Managers, Matthewthompson1@nhs.net or by telephone on 0191 3336531.

Crisis team are appalling

After feeling suicidal for a couple of days (I've had depression and anxiety as well as ASD for years) I followed my CPN's advice and called the Crisis Team in York. When calling them, I was asked for my details and location and then asked what the problem was. When I told them what the problem was, they asked me "what do you want us to do about it? Help yourself because there's nothing we can do during this call".

I became extremely distressed and angry at the way I was being spoken to and terminated the call. I then contacted them back when I had calmed down and had member of staff saying my name repeatedly before howling "we've had dealings before, just go home and contact the CMHT on Monday".

If that is how you speak to people who are about to commit suicide, then it doesn't surprise me why the death toll from people taking their own lives due to mental health issues is so high. You are absolutely disgusting and you need to sort out the staff at the crisis team immediately. I was very close to doing something stupid because I felt no one could help me. It was as if I was causing an inconvenience to the crisis team, which made me feel even worse.

I will be submitting a formal complaint and expect things to change immediately, otherwise I'll do all I can in my power as a citizen to ensure that those people are forced to apologise and are re-trained.

I cannot express how disgusted I am at TEWV.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 07 May 2017

Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 May 2017

We are sorry to hear that this has been your experience and that as a Crisis Team we always endeavour to offer a high quality service that supports patients and carers in a compassionate and supportive manner. Your comments have been fed back to the head of adult services in York who is keen to look into the matter further. If you would like to discuss this issue in more detail, please contact Corinne Aspel Lead Senior Nurse Patient and Carer Experience on 01913333566 or by e mail corinne.aspel@nhs.net.

Appalling "service", no help - ombudsman next

I am absolutely disgusted how I have been treated over the last 2 years by TEWV. Over two years ago I asked my GP for help with regards to severe mental health problems, particularly suicidal episodes and issues which prevent me from working. At first I was sent to IAPPS who refused to see me. Next I was sent to Community Mental Health where I had my first “First Assessment” in November 2015. Since then I have had little to no support, no crisis support, several “hopefuls” that I would receive help and then it always falls through. Communication with TEWV has been terrible to impossible. Now I receive a letter effectively dismissing me from the service. This “punishment” seems due to the single hour of work I manage to do because it partially coincides with one therapy group session. This single hour of paid work, which has been the only straw of sanity (preventing total institutionalisation) during many years of suffering, seems to be reason enough to dismiss me from TEWV’s services as if I didn't need it. I feel dismissed by the back door - or is it the front door??? Complaints to PALS just result in having the dismissal repeated with no offer of help or intention to resolve the problem whatsoever. Their suggestion: go private. Well, that's great when you earn enough to afford it! And because of my hour of work I don't get any benefits. Besides, claiming benefits really brought me close to real suicide because you get treated like dirt there, too.
I'm now seeking to make an official complaint right to ombudsman level!
If you need help in mental health, please don't bother with TEWV. They'll mess you around and leave you unsupported for years before dismissing you after years of hard battle to be heard and treated. Go elsewhere. Find a charity that'll have you, go to a different NHS provider or, if you're wealthy enough, go private. That's what they'll tell you anyway; but of course not straight away!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 13 June 2017

Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 June 2017

I am really sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience of our services and that you have had delays in accessing the support that you fee you needed and have experienced poor communication. I also appreciate that you have tried to work with our PALS and Complaints service and have not found that helpful to you to date. I respect your choice and right to go to the ombudsman if we have not dealt with your complaint to your satisfaction. However we would also welcome the opportunity to
look into your concerns again and if you would like us to do this you can do this by contacting me Corinne Aspel Lead Senior Nurse Patient Carer Experience on 01913333566 or e mail corinne.aspel@nhs.net or by contacting our complaints team on 08000520219

Anonymous gave Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

Activities

Why are there no indoor activities for patients at lanchester road hospital to stimulate their minds
E

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 10 February 2017

Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 March 2017

Thank you for raising this. Activities for our patients are an important element of the services we provide at Lanchester Road Hospital, and we provide a range of indoor activities both within the wards and within our occupational therapy team and gym area. Due to staff absence we have had limited access to the gym, as a qualified instructor is required to support sessions, however we are actively recruiting to this post and hope to resolve the situation soon.
There are also Mindfulness and Making Changes groups which are held at least held weekly and the Aspire group sessions are held 2 days a week on the female ward and we encourage all of our patients to engage in these and weekly activity planners are displayed within ward areas.

Formal complaint to follow

I have three complaints about the trust.
1.) 3 years ago my son was discharged from a section 3 without himself or us being told that he had a definite diagnosis. It was our first experience of the mental health system, so we thought that he had experienced a one- off psychosis. About a year later I accidentally found out that he had been discharged with a formal diagnosis of a very serious long term mental illness. His care coordinator at the early intervention team didn't know that he had been given this diagnosis either. Our son was extremely shocked when he was told his diagnosis. We decided not to pursue a complaint at the time because we all wanted to get on with our lives and be positive about the future.
2.) 10 days ago my son was sectioned for the third time by the crisis team. They briefly left him alone standing on a public street with his rucksack on his back waiting for the secure ambulance to arrive. He absconded and spent 6 hours in the pouring rain and the dark, frightened and alone. He was picked up by the police at midnight on the coastal road. Because he was classed as a missing person his face, name and the section details were plastered all over social media. This helped to find him, but he will have to come to terms with all his friends and neighbours knowing he has been sectioned.
3.) my son appealed this latest section and the tribunal took place this morning. Yesterday a social worker who we had never met rang my husband for background details, as they would be giving information at the tribunal. Because our son was staying in a hospital not in his home town ( because that was full) they said that they did not have all his notes. Yet I had been told by the ward staff that all notes could easily been transferred between hospitals because it was the same trust. Our son won his appeal despite having a diagnosis of a very serious long term illness, after not being on his meds, after being sectioned for a third time in three years and after absconding with no plan of where or how he was going to care for himself. His care coordinator on the ward said it was unfortunate and that them self and all the staff on the ward thought that our son should have been kept under section. As the people who have spent the most time with our son recently, we believe that he needed to be kept on a section.
I am an extremely patient person, but a parent can only take so much. We need help caring for our son. You have badly let us down for the third time. We will be pursueing this formally.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 10 February 2017

Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 February 2017

We are very sorry that you have not had a positive experience of our services. The Trust is committed to providing high quality services and any issues raised are taken seriously and addressed wherever possible. We would like to look into this further on your behalf but are unable to do so without knowing to which service you are referring. Should you wish us to do this please contact Corinne Aspel, Senior Nurse Patient and Carer Experience on 0191 333 3566 or by e mail corinne.aspel@nhs.net

Anonymous did not recommend Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust

No respect

I have had a lot of dealing with this organisation over 4+ years but have not received the help I need. The receptionist shout at you telling you to repeatedly " calm down" even though I am just talking but your not allowed to complain about this even to pals. Nobody wants to know they can talk to you however they want because your the one with a mental health problem so nobody is going to listen to what you have to say. Nobody want to know what you have say so they can do and say what they like. I have no way of getting the help I need which is putting my life at risk and there is nothing I can do about it. This organisation do not care about a person's life.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 09 September 2016

Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 September 2016

We are very sorry that you’re unhappy with the experiences you have highlighted when accessing our services. It is extremely important to us that our patients are treated with respect and dignity by all our staff. The Trust is committed to providing quality services and any issues raised are taken seriously and addressed wherever possible. We would like to look into this further on your behalf but are unable to do so without knowing which service you are referring to. Should you wish us to do this please contact Corinne Aspel, Senior Nurse Patient and Carer Experience on 0191 333 3566 or by e mail corinne.aspel@nhs.net

Waiting times - continually extending and unfit for purpose

I was advised to contact York & Selby IAPT by my GP due to an acute anxiety diagnosis. I did so in Sept 2016 and after a shorty assessment was advised I required high-level CBT and that the waiting time for this was six months. For me this was six months too long and life from the time of diagnosis to now continues to be extremely difficult propped up by various pills, a long-suffering spouse and a growingly frustrated and impatient employer. So, after six months had elapsed (without any further update / contact from IAPT) I chased for an appointment only to be told that six months had become twelve months and that this was still only an estimate. This is just too much. Clearly this service is so massively under-resourced deeming it entirely unfit for its intended purpose. The sad irony of a constantly extending year-long waiting list for a service provider named 'Improving Access to Psychological Therapies' is unfortunately not lost on me. The obvious disparity between support and resource for physical illness over mental illness has to be resolved. All it appears I can do is wait and hope that by the time I am at the front of the queue I remain employed, married and still around to find any benefit from the service. I do wonder just how many lives are ruined and, at worst, lost whilst waiting such an unreasonably long time and therefore can only determine that the principle of 'IAPT' is fundamentally flawed and failing those it is intended to help most.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 12 June 2017

Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 June 2017

We are really sorry to hear about your long wait for the service you need. We are working hard in developing plans to reduce unacceptably long waits and be able to offer a service to people like you who have had a long wait. We agree that it is frustrating and in not being able to provide a quicker service, people waiting may get worse. In your post you mentioned things getting worse, if that has happened we would ask you to see your GP again for a review, if things have got worse it is important that your GP knows and is able to support you appropriately.

Poor camhs service in harrogate

in 2013 my 11 year old suicidal son was discharged and parents were told it was normal ! a year later in september 2014 the GP refered him back and yet again he was discharged again . I made a writen complaint in 2015 and finally camhs Harrogate decided to take him on but by which time (2 years on almost) his issues had got so much worse. The current care is poor and I intend now to complain directly to pals... As a service, they are very quick to blame the parents for everything and many of the staff I have had contact with are judgmental. I am being blamed the my now 14 year old son's poor appetite and poor growth and lack of social interests, whereas the one thing that might have helped is him receiving the help he needed 3 years earlier....

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 November 2016

I am very sorry to hear that you have not had a good experience of our services and that you feel that the service is not meeting your sons and your family’s needs at this difficult time. I understand that you are intending to contact our PALS service who I am confident will look into this further on your behalf. In the meantime if you would like to speak to me directly so I can better understand what your concerns are and look at what we can do to resolve these please contact me, Claire Abley Head of Service for CAMHS North Yorkshire on 01609 718810 Or by e mail c.abley@nhs.net

Inexperienced staff.

My daughter suffers from psychosis ,yet was discharged in the summer and no follow ups.We now have someone living in the house who can hardly communicate most of the day ,doesn't eat as she can't remember if she has or not ,hardly sleeps so music on loud all day until early hours and daughter keep us awake ,But when I voiced my concerns about leaving our daughter alone in the property for 4 weeks they did not press the issue for respite as they said she would manage. The member of staff who had the authority thought this was acceptable and discharged my daughter .I will be seeking help from another area as Scarborough are the worst I have ever come across.I hope all the staff there had as miserable Christmas as my husband and myself had .

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 27 December 2016

Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 January 2017

As Unit Manager and on behalf of the staff of the Holly Unit we would like to thank you for this and previous kind comments you have posted.  The Holly Unit staff team very much appreciate the time and effort it has taken you to share your thoughts and feelings in relation to the care provided to your grandson.  We would also like to thank you for supporting Holly with Investing in Children’s events and have valued your contributions and suggestions.

It is with great sadness that Holly staff will be saying goodbye to both you and your grandson as the Unit is no longer able to provide respite provision.  However, we will support the transition of your grandson to an identified provider in the very near future.  Holly staff team would like to wish the family well for the future.