Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust

01707 253900 Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust, Head Office, The Colonnades, Beaconsfield Road , Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 8YE

Kat gave Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Poor standards of care

I have been under this trust for six years, using outpatient and inpatient services and the quality of care has only deteriorated since I was first referred by my GP. It took six months to get an assessment although I was at risk.
I have experienced inpatient services twice and they were shocking.

Poor management, no communication between me, my family and the unit, badly planned last minute discharges. I did not see my care plan in 4 months - my whole first admission.
No information about the rights I had under section 3 of the mental health act.

Chronically understaffed unit, the staff were patronising and people with certain mental health conditions were stigmatised and treated differently to the rest of the patients.

CCAT never turned up to follow up my discharge, and once finally diagnosed by outpatient team I was not offered treatment for my specific condition due to it "not being available in hertfordshire" - with no alternative offers.
I would have been open to travelling to a different area to recieve therapy. The weekly sessions I had been recieving for three years were subsequently stopped, I did not even have a final session to close my case. The sessions I was recieving for such a long time were not adequate or person centered to treat the illness I have.

Side effects of medication were brushed off and my concerns were not acknowledged, since then my physical health has deteriorated significantly due to the medication. There has been no communication between doctors looking after my physical health with my mental health team. Where are the multidisciplinary team meetings?

There was also no care plan put in place for me throughout my time accessing outpatient services, having to go over six months without seeing a psychiatrist, and the mental health helpline was never answered after waiting over 45 minutes, then I gave up leaving my name, number and a message. This has happened on several occasions and the call was never returned.
There are many more shortfallings of this appauling service, I would not recommend it to anybody.

The staff and service in itself often does not uphold the trust values that it advertises so heavily in clinics and elswhere.
Shambolic.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 06 October 2017

Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 October 2017

I am sorry that you have had such a poor experience of our services. In order for us to look into them it would be helpful if you could contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01707 253916. If you leave a message with your contact details we can call you to discuss your experience in more detail. Alternatively you can send an email to pals.herts@hpft.nhs.uk.

Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust

Elastergirl gave Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Poor communication between staff. Couple of good staff left

I have been under the team for over 7 years. I have had good and bad experiences. They are underfunded and patients are being denied treatment as they simply don't offer it. They tried applying for funding to send me to another hospital. Only after 2 complaints and chasing did they mention I had not got funding.
They gave me the wrong medication in ADTU. I complained is PALS and got a half hearted brief apology and reassurance staff have been retrained.
There are a few good staff members left. Many excellent staff have left for other jobs as they are frustrated by the service. Shame the patients can't move.
I have have similar problems with helpline. Takes ages for them to get back to you if they do at all.
I have found Herts night light charity and Samaritans very helpful and understanding.
Anyone who is experiencing problems with community mental health team please contact you local mind charity and use the Samaritans in a crisis not the helpline. There is always the option of 111 as well. A and E is rarely helpful in my experience. I can't recommend Herts night light service enough. They have reascued me a number of times at weekends.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 15 October 2017

Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Disorganised bunch of nasty people

The fact there is not a single review above 1 star says it all.

Crisis team.
Refused input until police insisted it.

Then was discharged after 2 days of plan not the week agreed - and catt team did not inform me or even care coordinator.

Did not turn up for appt- did not ring to cancel/notify.

Management is rude and lacks personal and professional skills.

One staff member threatened me in my own home.

HPFT refused to review complaint. Says more about them than service users....

Response to suicidal patient
"Well that's your choice"
"We have accepted that you may do that"
"Have a cup of tea"

The sad thing is they are in a position to help people but all they are doing is check-in their card in and out and squandering Nhs money.

Their careless attitude is so dangerous - wouldn't even approach them if It was for my own child. Would sooner let them die with dignity than humiliation.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 23 July 2017

Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 31 July 2017

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you are unhappy with our services. It is difficult for us to respond in any detail to issues raised on a public website. We always try to respond to concerns provided they are raised in a way that enables us to look into them.

If you wish to raise a concern please email the details to pals.herts@hpft.nhs.uk

No help

Tried calling the crisis line several times suffering a mental health crisis. No-one answers. It just rings and rings. Very disappointing when it takes a lot of courage to call for help and then unable to be heard. I will not be trying again.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 20 July 2017

Thank you for your comment, we appreciate feedback and the opportunity this affords us to improve our services. I am sorry the service did not meet your expectations and give you the response you were looking for.

The HPFT Mental Health Helpline 01438 843322 is available between 5pm and 9am Monday to Friday and 9am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday. There is a clinician available to take your call, if the clinician is busy with a call there is an answer machine were a message can be left for a call back.

The 0300 777 0707 Single Point of Access number is available 8 am -7.30pm Monday - Friday and out of hours this number links through to the mental health helpline as above. The Single point of access lines can be busy at times but calls will be answered once a specific option has been chosen from the automated options

Failing Service leaving clients at risk

I have noticed the 'Trust Values' being displayed at each site I have visited. Sadly the experience my family have had thus far does not display any evidence of these.
Unprofessional, disrespectful, unwelcoming, uncaring, do not listen - this is what they have been subjected to. They have been having the most awful time trying to get appropriate help for our family member who is currently in deperate need of this. The Trust are cauisng the family additional stress, upset and frustration at a time when they are already feeling desperate and devastated, and are in need of reassurance, not disregard; this process is causing my strong, loving family to begin to crumble and fall apart, and feel as hopeless about the future as our family member who is unwell. Their health, jobs and general quality of life is severely affected. No carer's assessment has been offered to anyone. No Care Coordinator has made any contact with anyone. No treatment has been offered 5 weeks in to our family member, all the Trust seem to want to do is discharge, despite the risk of a further suicide attempt being openly admitted.
Everything is a constant battle and sadly they are running out of energy and seem to be at the mercy of this disgraceful Trust which spouts off about its values, but when push comes to shove it cannot deliver.
If you are going to become unwell I recommend you move home quickly so that your care does not fall under the remit of this shambles, or if you read some of the rights to choice on treatment which I have since been researching you are allowed to request to be treated elsewhere; this is not publicised at all and you seem to have to reach desperation and do loads of research yourself to find this out.
Really, really disappointed

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 29 July 2017

We are so sorry that you have had such a poor experience of our services. Please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01707 253916 or write to pals.herts@hpft.nhs.uk, so we can look into this matter further. In order for us to find out what has happened we will need some details about your family member and which team they are under.

Thank you for your feedback.

Complaints and Service Experience Manager

anonymous gave Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

suicidal tendencies, so could have been dead

CATT team meant to be doing daily home visits, after the allotted time between 10 and 1 came and went, we contacted the crisis team, who informed us that someone had called round and got no answer.................... so what they phoned banged on the door rang the office for different numbers,called the police, no they walked away and said nothing, that's if they even bothered turning up, certainly no-one knocked or rang the bell here,okay so maybe they attended the wrong address, well it is a new build so possible, but never the less, there actions or lack of have left her with a full blown panic attack feeling total worthless, and not worth their time or effort, great feelings to have when you already have suicidal tendencies. Were we not a very close knit family,living close by My daughter might have taken her own life today and who would have cared or known about it? The team said someone would call her, we are still waiting for that call. we have since made numerous other calls, finally her support worker called us back and spoke with her, but even she hasn't been able to get a response from the team, what sort of service can we expect when now.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 10 April 2017

Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 April 2017

We are sorry to hear you are having problems with our services. We take all concerns raised with us very seriously, please could you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service herts.pals@hpft.nhs.uk with further details of yourself and the Crisis Team involved so we can look into these issues.

Inexperience staff and lack of compassion !

I visited the unit to see my care coordinator. I was told they were unable to see me and offered to speak with the duty worker. I told the duty worker my care and medication need reviewing. The duty worker suggested to me to indulge in the gym. I was so annoyed I got up and left because there was nothing differently being done for my care, also I was not being listened to. The next thing I know in the evening 4 people turn up at my house saying they are there to do mental health assessment.
I have been left traumatised by this.

I have put in a complain but it is obvious they do not care. They tried to cover up their actions.

Getting pals involve is just a waste of time. No one answer the phone when I rang, no one returned my call despite leaving messages neither does any respond to the follow up email.

I would not recommend even my enemy here!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 07 May 2017

Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 June 2017

I am sorry that you had a poor experience of our services and that you found both the complaints procedure and PALS unhelpful.
It is not always possible to answer the telephone but we do ring back if callers leave their names and phone numbers. The number to call is 01707 253916.

Complaints and Service Experience Manager

No one answers the phone when you are in crisis.

I have been trying to ring for a week and no one picks up the phone ever after over half an hour ringing. This is a pathetic service for someone in real crisis and would make people more depressed.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 06 March 2017

Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 March 2017

Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience trying to get through to the Single Point of Access (SPA) on the telephone. SPA has been experiencing a large volume of calls and we acknowledge that some people have experienced long delays in getting through. We are working on resolving the issues to enable people to get contact SPA without delay. There are alternative ways to contact the service and if you wish to refer yourself to our services you can email us at hpft.spa@nhs.net or if you would like to refer yourself to the Wellbeing Service you can do this at www.talkwellbeing.co.uk.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback

No-one answering the phone

I've been calling this number 3-4 times every day this week, let the phone ring for at least 20 or 30 mins each time and no-one picked up. I need help for my 8 year old boy. Shambolic!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 17 March 2017

Thank you for raising this concern with regard to our service, we appreciate your feedback and are sorry that you have not had the expected response. The service is receiving an unprecedented number of calls at present and we are working to improve our response rate.

In order get the help for your child you would need to make an appointment with your child’s GP in the first instance who can then make a referral to our specialist services.

Should you have any questions or require further help please ring our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01707 253916 and leave a message with your contact details so we can call you back.

Mary Stephenson, Complaints and Service Experience Manager

As one Welwyn Garden City

Hi i have been visited and had two Drs in two years that were very good in feb 2017 i had my 3 month visit from mental health Doctor and they said they would see me again in sep and they would send me and my gp a letter.
Anyway i got no letter and nor did my gp and today i phoned to find out when my next home visit will be in sep and i was shocked when the member of staff told me that my doctor had left and not only that i had no doctor at this time.
So i was very upset that no one had contacted me and told me this as i was supposed to be having on going visits treatments.
I have contacted pals and now wait to see what happens but its just not good enough whats going on with this nhs mental health in herts.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 23 August 2017

Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 24 August 2017

I am very sorry that no-one contacted you to tell you that your doctor had left or to arrange your next appointment. I can see how upsetting this could be for you.

If you have not already done so please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01707 253916 so we can take your details and ask the community team to sort this matter out.

Best wishes