Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust

01225 325680 Bath NHS House, Newbridge Hill , Bath, Avon, BA1 3QE

Anonymous gave Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

There's a common theme in these complaints

I would ask AWP to look into a qualitative analysis into their comment section and notice that there is a thick vein of "pushed from pillar to post". This lack of coordination and communication is causing more psychological anguish.

I knew someone who lived just outside of the catchment area but was in the Great Western Hospital (within the area) and they were given lots of Swindon based advice that was utterly irrelevant. They called the crisis team the number given by AWP employees to be told they were not a Swindon patient and they were not spoken to or referred onto anyone else.

They were in hospital from an OD and were made homeless but their plan, created by your staff, suggested them to access self help online (they are homeless?!) and for them to call emergency housing.

I hate to repeat basic mental health care, but when somebody has tried to end their life, mental health staff are meant to help take care of the practical needs of the patient.
I am more than happy to help AWP with evidencing this.

I have reported this to PALS but PALS can only do so much when this is a repeated offense committed by AWP. I would recommend to review these comments not as "dissatisfaction" as a) dissatisfaction doesn't cover it and b) we are not consumers because we do not choose illness. This is more than the quality of care or other managerial terms used by AWP.

These narratives need to be utilised rather than directed to PALS. Listen.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 30 November 2017

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 06 December 2017

Thank you for leaving this feedback, I am pleased that you have raised this with PALS, in turn PALS have raised this with the Clinical Lead for Swindon and I would encourage the Service User to contact us directly so we can look into this thoroughly.

Not offered help

I was discharged from services in December and referred again following a bout of depression which was confirmed by a psychiatrist I'd seen privately. However, because of my history of PD I've been passed from pillar to post and told that in their eyes I've had support and am simply being ungrateful. To them support is having cups of tea, taking baths and colouring in (I'm an adult not a child). If I argue that I'm really struggling I'm told its my choice to feel ill. I was told it's my choice to not have any energy to do anything beyond the very basic of self care. I was told to take responsibility. When I finally had an assessment after a month (as a previously discharged patient I should have been referred back through a fast track pathway) I was told that because I am "unlikely" to see any improvement in about a month I am to be left to suffer.
Also as a person of faith who struggles with issues around sexuality I've also been told to go to organisations that I cannot access on the grounds of my faith and told that I have to and that not to do so is seen as a failure to engage - This is disgusting as for me accessing these organisations is tantamount to a great sin or I get told to find a place of worship that is more liberal which goes against the very fundamental basis of my faith.
This organisation doesn't know anything about how to look after the most vulnerable in our society. I've seen this from both ends of the coin as a part of work I've done on the streets helping those forced into street homelessness as a result of not being offered support earlier.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 22 August 2017

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 30 August 2017

I am very sorry to read of your experience and we would be grateful if you would contact the PALS team to see if we can help. They can be reached on 01249 468231 or 0800 073 1778 or by email at awp.pals@nhs.net

Just advice !

Visited primary health care 4 times....took advice to ask for help. Painful for me to admit I was in a place where I couldn’t help myself. First visit, although I was talking the care work more or less told me their version of how I felt and under played any points I raised. Further visits I met with lovely caring people but my summary of the service is that it’s more advice than action. Final contact was when I self harmed and was visited at hospital. Waited an hour plus after being treated at A&E and was advised to attend a course and they confirmed I had to jump through hoops for any further action. At least honesty
Also found their transcript of meetings a bit inaccurate, not happy as this is sent to my doctor and kept on file.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 09 October 2017

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 09 October 2017

We are really sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the support you received. Are you aware that you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) and ask them to look in this for you? You can find all of their contact details on our website via this link http://www.awp.nhs.uk/advice-support/pals/ (You might have to copy and paste it into a browser, sorry). Hope you find this in some way helpful.

was told to go to a homelesss shelter after suicide attempts

Words cannot describe how bad this service made me feel. As others have described, it really does make you feel worse. If you have mental health problems in the bath area and you're reading this, go seek a specialist. I was met with a self proclaimed "novice" who made me feel like a child and nothing was wrong with me just because I managed to hold it together for the first half of the meeting (have been trying to hold it together for 25 years). I suffer from deppression, chronic insomnia and social anxiety. I told him that I coulnd't go home because I have major problems at home and i'm scared I might finish myself because of this. He asked me what I wanted out of coming to the hospital, I replied clearly in a state of confusion "I don't know, I need help, I can't go home, I need someone to look after me" he then immediatly stated rudly and aggressivly that I can't be attmited and that I should try to contact friends (the time is 9:30pm and i'm shaking and crying) or go to a homeless shelter!!! Can you imagine how that made me feel? I broke down and started to have a panic attack, i couldn't breath and was on the floor. He just kept saying "i don't understand, you were ok a minute ago, (and i quote) what's wrong with you?" Yeah he said that and I couldn't belive that. I have deppression thats whats wrong and anyone who's been employed should do their research before handling someone. The worse service ever I just couldn't wait to get out of the room, in a state of panic I was looking out of the window for anyone who could really see I was in a unfit state and needed help. Eventually a nurse came in to help me get off the floor and she was more help with in the 5minutes of talking to her that the whole session with the "novice". RUH bath if we can't name names in the review how will you ever recieve feedback and have words with your mental health staff to improve or better yet replace them? As others have said its dangerous!!! After me talking and releasing the pain I experiance everyday, in a state of panic where I couldn't breath on the floor stating I want to die, I was just let go, left to walk home and wander the streets. That practitioner was asking me the most stupid questions when I was in a state of panic and turmoil. "Why are you like this" "what do you want to do about it" "we've tried to help you why are you now crying" what kind of service is this?! I've come here for help and you're grilling me down and making me feel guilty for even being there! I'm still stressed from this trumatic experiance. I kept saying I need someone who can understand me and see that i'm having a panic attack! I felt pressured beyond belief. RUH don't let your "novices" handle people with depression and thoughts of suicide you will get someone killed i'm warning you now save yourself the hassle when it finally does happen.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 03 May 2017

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 16 October 2017

Hi. I'm really sorry to hear you're feeling this way. We operate services on the RUH site so it was probably our staff you saw, not those of the RUH. We would like to find out more about this matter and investigate if appropriate. Obviously we don't discuss individual patient details, but we do have a Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) who can look into it for you. There are a number of ways you can make contact with them so here is a link to our website with all the information http://www.awp.nhs.uk/advice-support/pals/ (sorry, looks like you'll have to copy and paste it into a new browser window.). I hope this can help you.

Satisfied client gave Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust a rating of 4 stars

Outpatient care, this year (and last year), at home. May 17

I was referred to the mental health team by my GP firstly last year and again this year, for help with a depressive illness complicated by physical illness and consequent increasing reluctance to get out and about. I was allocated a very experienced CPN who has done their best to support me and to find the right help for me over the months despite serious pressures of work in the mental health department. The people on the switchboard or duty desk have always been most supportive and kind and tried their best for me even when I have rung in a very agitated state. Home visits to review progress have been helpful and reasonably insightful. The medication chosen has helped me to sleep much better most of the time. The time it has taken to be referred to a psychiatrist or psychologist has been rather long but various obstacles have arisen, including medical investigations to exclude certain problems. Not least I suffered a devastating sudden bereavement in July this year which has altered all the parameters somewhat. I am aware that all medical and nursing services are under considerable pressure just now, but the time and care taken to try to help me has been very much appreciated.

A Mindfulness course and some CBT (run by south Gloucestershire) last year have been useful but I have yet to work out how to overcome my present difficulties. I am still "treading water" at present but hope to find a way forward fairly soon.
NB I have never "visited the trust" The CPN has visited me.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 29 September 2017

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased to hear that you found our staff helpful, supportive and kind and we know they will appreciate you saying this.

We are so sorry to learn of the difficult time you have been through and hope you are finding some relief with the support of CBT.

Jessica gave Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Waste of time and embarrassment

I finally got the courage to speak to someone about what I've been struggling with all my life, the thoughts, my emotions.. the GP referred me to here. Waited 3 weeks for a meeting, thinking I'd finally be able to get some help and be on track. Unfortunately the complete opposite, I went in there, I opened up about stuff which effects me to be told ring these numbers if you need help. First of all I would of rung those numbers if I was able to, but I came here for help so I wouldn't need the numbers because I believed that this meeting would really help me, I've had councillors, therapists in the past and I thought the actual mental health team would help. Instead it felt like they didn't care, that they'd get back to me (never did!) it felt like the only way they would help me is when it was too late.. this is an embarrassment, the one place where people's mental health should matter, should be helped is here and to be passed around, constantly waiting for a call is not enough, mental health doesn't have time to wait. I don't really know where to go from here...

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 23 May 2017

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 31 May 2017

I am sorry to read that your experience of our services has not been positive for you. We would like to be able to look into this for you and we would be grateful if you would contact the PALS team so they can see how they can help. They can be contacted on 01249 468261 or 0800 073 1778 or by email at awp.pals@nhs.net

Anonymous gave Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust a rating of 3 stars

Crisis Service Experience

2017

Crisis service fail to inform you that they will write a report of their interaction with you and forward to your GP and you.

I would never have had them out if they said 'by the way we will follow up by writing a letter to your GP summarising what you talked about'.

I just wouldn't have spoken to them. They need to be honest about what their process is.

The workers were friendly and listened other than this.

2016

Team members came to a place of safety, terrified of them, found they deliberately wound me up, not helped me.

Don't want to say anymore for fear of identifying myself, however they make you more paranoid with the way they handle offering medications.

Depends who you get.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 29 May 2017

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 31 May 2017

Thank you for leaving your feedback, I am sorry that you have been upset by the information that was shared with your GP. We would like to be able to follow up what happened for you and we would be grateful if you would contact the PALS team on 01249 468261 or 0800 073 1778 or by email at awp.pals@nhs.net

Still waiting

I have been assessed twice and been passed from pillar to post since November. Finally had a diagnosis and was refereed to community mental health team but after 4 long weeks struggling with my thoughts I had no contact. I had to phone 3 times to find out what was going on. Was finally told I had a case worker and they would ring..., still waiting. Mental health can't wait. I'm hanging on as much as I can in the hope I will get the call and the support I need but not sure how long I can. The person in the phone laughed when I got confused and upset. With everything going on in the media you would think something would be done

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 11 May 2017

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 15 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback and I am sorry that you are unhappy with your experience of our Trust. If you would like us to look into this for you please do contact the PALS team on 01249 468261 or 0800 073 1778 or you can email us at awp.pals@nhs.net

Don't know why I bothered

Seen a cpn yesterday,for an assessment they were like a robot, asking me questions as though they were reading them out of a book. Came out feeling worse than when I went in. Got very tearful, and got asked if I was upset. Asked what I would like to happen. Asked for someone to talk to, and then got told to call the Samaritans. Made to feel like I was wasting their time.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 28 March 2017

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 29 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback and I am sorry that you did not have a good experience in your assessment. If you would like us to look into this for you please do contact the PALS team on 01249 468261 or 0800 073 1778 or you can email us at awp.pals@nhs.net

No help what do ever...

Since my daughter has been about 10 she has been in & out of counselling due to stress, depression, anxiety dealing with fibromyalgia & other ailments. Over the last few months she has been to her gp several times, Lift & the urgent care team.. No one seems to help, very black & white, read this sheet & do breathing exercises. This came to a head last earlier this week when she ended up walking up a dual carriage way into incoming traffic.. she was taken to sandalwood for her safety, assessed & told she would be assigned a care worker. She was let out the next day. A care worker came round once, filled out the forms, ticked a few boxes & off she went. Daughter got really down yesterday called the urgent care team again & her gp & sandalwood, yet again total waste of time. Urgent care team.. More like couldn't care team. My daughter just wants to see a counsellor on a regular basis to help work through things & sort herself out but keeps getting told, we dont do that.. try here, try there & pushed from pillar to post. You mean to tell me there are no adult counsellors in the swindon area! The whole system is a complete joke. Does she have get severly hurt before anyone will help?

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 03 March 2017

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 29 March 2017

I am sorry to read that your daughter has been unwell lately and that you do not feel that services have helped. We would like to look into this for you and would be grateful if you could contact the PALS team on 01249 468261 or 0800 073 1778 or by email at awp.pals@nhs.net