Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust

01225 325680 Bath NHS House, Newbridge Hill , Bath, Avon, BA1 3QE

Ginnelly Mark gave Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Terrible failings & No Understanding of How to Help.

The Wiltshire IAPT & Primary Care Liaison team's cherry pick the conditions they deal with & have No Idea about Sign Posting except to organisations outside the NHS. Having spoken to local GP's they manage 99% of their own patients mental health issues in the community. Getting almost No help or resources from this shocking trust. They missed every agreed deadline for a reply to a complaint so let's see how they deal with the Care Quality Commission , the PHSO & the Media.. According to one of their own team Counseling has become too Popular or in reality the region's mental health.issues have got worse. The doctor needs to put her Trust in order

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 11 October 2018

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust a rating of 4 stars

Excellent Help so far

I cannot thank the team in Swindon enough. My brother is currently having a down episode. I live in Cheshire so I am quite remote in terms of the support I can give him.
He was referred by his GP and they responded almost immediately. This was not our experience before when the Crisis team existed.
At the moment my brother is receiving daily visits and he is slowly improving. Without their support I am sure he would have been admitted to hospital. Also great peace of mind for me, living so far away.
A big thank you to all the team in Swindon. Keep up the good work!

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 03 July 2018

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 16 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave this comment, I have shared it with the service and this will really make their day!

Anonymous gave Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

extremely poor service when suicidal

A concerned member from a mental health group contacted the authorities when I was suicidal. I didn't know she was phoning the police, I just assumed it was the ambulance she was phoning. Anyway, the police attended at my address and the crisis line worker told the police that it wasnt acceptable behaviour for me to be suicidal. I had tried to hang myself shortly before police had attended and when they asked me about what had happened i was honest about this. I described how my home was the least safe place to be, based on my extremely suicidal history, and indeed I am also marked as high risk for suicide. I was honest and said that I will again attempt suicide shortly and they left based on the distorted comments made by the crisis worker. once the police had left i tried to gas myself and was lucky to be alive. sadly this does not seem a unique experience within the realms of AWP.

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 04 April 2018

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 24 April 2018

I am really sorry to read of your recent experience. We really would like to hear from you so we can contact your team and look into this and also discuss the level of support you are receiving. Please could you contact PALS on 0800 073 1778 or 01225 362 900 or by email if you prefer at awp.pals@nhs.net

SB_18 reviewed Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust

My admission on the unit

My admission to the asar unit was negative on day 5 when they decided to kick me out because they couldn't cope with my mental health risks. Until then as much as it was very difficult it was a positive experience. Mental health and everything just doesn't dissappear overnight once you've stopped drinking and using drugs.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 16 February 2018 using Care Opinion

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 21 February 2018

Thank you for leaving your comment about our services. Specialised Services always welcomes feedback and takes this seriously. We are sorry that you have had a negative experience at Acer Unit. If you would like to discuss your experiences with us Sarah Jones, Clinical Lead for Specialised Services, would like to hear from you, please contact us at our PALS team on 01225 362900 or Freephone 0800 073 1778 or by email at awp.pals@nhs.net

Hopefully I'll be dead soon

AWP don't value honesty. in fact, they often try to hide the truth, with disastrous results. I was already aware of this, but made doubly so by the little list of reviews they 'won't accept' on this site.

firstly, the switchboard is an absolute joke, you have to ring about 10 billion times before you get the benefit of a rude switchboard operator, again and again. repeatedly having to give your date of birth to the same inept person who can't remember 6 digits, despite your having spoken to them many times.

when you eventually get through to a member of staff when you're suicidal, they refuse to offer you the basic dignity of being treated like an adult. proceeding to talk to you like a child and telling you to go for a walk/ bake a cake/ draw a picture etc. why can't anyone even just try and have a normal adult conversation with you, without any of these childish, unhelpful prompts I'll never know.

even though it states in my care plan that visits are helpful and important in a crisis, when I would phone in a crisis, no one would ever, ever come. I was always just barked at like a child 'you need to learn to take responsibility for yourself'. the only reason that I could see that they'd put down that I need visits in a crisis, was clearly to make themselves look kind and helpful, when in fact, nothing could be further from the truth and I was left to die on many occasions.

AWP are also trying to perform a 'force discharge' on me when I've spent this last year feeling more suicidal than I ever have done in my whole life. I am hanging on by such a thread, that as soon as this tiny piece of support is removed, I will end up killing myself.

don't bother telling me to 'email PALS' I have done so many times before, and found it a pathetic waste of time, where nothing is done except offer up lies as fragile 'excuses' for terrifically poor treatment. hence why I am not willing to do so now.

I'm hoping I will be dead soon, and then this whole sorry affair will be over.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 13 February 2018

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust has not yet replied.

Absolutely useless

A close family member of mine was signed off of work with stress recently and started having a bit of a breakdown. I have suffered with anxiety myself and was aware that even waiting for counselling was very frustrating. It started off well the mental health team visited them and did a long assessment and said they would come back after the weekend to let us know what the next step was. We then phoned twice on the Monday in distress to be told we have to see how it goes - even though he was having delusions and thinking everyone was out to get him. They did not even provide any sort of crisis number. In the end we had to phone the police because he went missing and an ambulance had to be sent to take him to hospital. It seems as though unless you get to A&E you won't be treated. This is ridiculous and is such a let down for people with mental illnesses. Totally disgusted with this and we are still not out of the woods yet!

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 23 January 2018

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 25 January 2018

I am sorry to read of the difficulties your family member is having at the moment, it must be a very stressful time for you all. I am also very sorry that your experience has not been a good one and you have not had the support needed. We would very much like to look into the circumstances you have described in detail and would be grateful if you contacted the PALS team so they can take this forward. They can be contacted on 01225 731625 or 0800 073 1778 or by email at awp.pals@nhs.net

Awful service

Received absolutely awful service. Disorganised and stressful experience trying to obtain help from this service. Initially put in touch through my GP for help with severe depression and anxiety but the process of trying to obtain any led to additional stress until well over 6 months told they could offer no help.
Receptionist I dealt with sounded completely fed up and uninterested, failing to pass on messages and arrange call backs on numerous occasions.
Complete waste of time using this service and now having seeking help elsewhere.
Many other reviews also seem to highlight failings in this service.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 04 April 2018

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 24 April 2018

Thank you for leaving your feedback, I am sorry that your experience has been poor. We would be grateful if you could contact the PALS team so we can follow this up for you. They can be contacted on 0800 073 1778 or 01225 362 900 or by email at awp.pals@nhs.net

There's a common theme in these complaints

I would ask AWP to look into a qualitative analysis into their comment section and notice that there is a thick vein of "pushed from pillar to post". This lack of coordination and communication is causing more psychological anguish.

I knew someone who lived just outside of the catchment area but was in the Great Western Hospital (within the area) and they were given lots of Swindon based advice that was utterly irrelevant. They called the crisis team the number given by AWP employees to be told they were not a Swindon patient and they were not spoken to or referred onto anyone else.

They were in hospital from an OD and were made homeless but their plan, created by your staff, suggested them to access self help online (they are homeless?!) and for them to call emergency housing.

I hate to repeat basic mental health care, but when somebody has tried to end their life, mental health staff are meant to help take care of the practical needs of the patient.
I am more than happy to help AWP with evidencing this.

I have reported this to PALS but PALS can only do so much when this is a repeated offense committed by AWP. I would recommend to review these comments not as "dissatisfaction" as a) dissatisfaction doesn't cover it and b) we are not consumers because we do not choose illness. This is more than the quality of care or other managerial terms used by AWP.

These narratives need to be utilised rather than directed to PALS. Listen.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 30 November 2017

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 06 December 2017

Thank you for leaving this feedback, I am pleased that you have raised this with PALS, in turn PALS have raised this with the Clinical Lead for Swindon and I would encourage the Service User to contact us directly so we can look into this thoroughly.

Gatekeeper staff prevent access to help needed

As a person with long standing mental health issues, when they moved to this area, my partner did all the right things by going to the GP and seeking continuing psychiatric help. The GP had no doubt about referring to the Mental Health Team to provide continuing care. Unfortunately that is where the system broke down. The gatekeeper to the team is so efficient at rejecting patients that even a psychiatric history was not needed to "return to GP" with a few leaflets. Even a review of meds was not offered.

I hope that if they survive their next A&E admission or Section 136 more help might be offered.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 23 December 2017

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 27 December 2017

We're very sorry to read of your experiences with our services. If you would like us to look into the matter for you, please contact our Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) on 01225 362 900 or Freephone 0800 073 1778. You can also email the team at awp.pals@nhs.net

Not offered help

I was discharged from services in December and referred again following a bout of depression which was confirmed by a psychiatrist I'd seen privately. However, because of my history of PD I've been passed from pillar to post and told that in their eyes I've had support and am simply being ungrateful. To them support is having cups of tea, taking baths and colouring in (I'm an adult not a child). If I argue that I'm really struggling I'm told its my choice to feel ill. I was told it's my choice to not have any energy to do anything beyond the very basic of self care. I was told to take responsibility. When I finally had an assessment after a month (as a previously discharged patient I should have been referred back through a fast track pathway) I was told that because I am "unlikely" to see any improvement in about a month I am to be left to suffer.
Also as a person of faith who struggles with issues around sexuality I've also been told to go to organisations that I cannot access on the grounds of my faith and told that I have to and that not to do so is seen as a failure to engage - This is disgusting as for me accessing these organisations is tantamount to a great sin or I get told to find a place of worship that is more liberal which goes against the very fundamental basis of my faith.
This organisation doesn't know anything about how to look after the most vulnerable in our society. I've seen this from both ends of the coin as a part of work I've done on the streets helping those forced into street homelessness as a result of not being offered support earlier.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 22 August 2017

Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust replied on 30 August 2017

I am very sorry to read of your experience and we would be grateful if you would contact the PALS team to see if we can help. They can be reached on 01249 468231 or 0800 073 1778 or by email at awp.pals@nhs.net