Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust

0121 553 1831 Sandwell General Hospital, Lyndon , West Bromwich, West Midlands, B71 4HJ

Veteran 1002 reviewed Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust

Call waiting

I am thoroughly appalled at the phone system, I was on hold for 1 hour 30 minutes to eventually be connected to then be disconnected by an operator, so very frustrated.
I have been told that I would receive an appointment through the post my consultant's department. This has not appeared. My symptoms are getting worse and I just want to confirm an appointment, is it really this hard to speak to someone. Extremely agitated and annoyed at this very poor service!
I have tried to call the complaints number but this also does not connect 0121 507 4346, extremely frustrating.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 25 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust has not yet replied.

Roy Kevin Holloway gave Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

the impossibly task of trying to get through to physiotherap

I for one only have the greatest of respect for all staff members in the medical profession they do a splendid job and never once in my lifetime ever given me cause for concern as I have always been treated so well by them.
But I was rather setback and annoyed on Friday 7th july 2017. I visited my own G.P on the 6th July 2017 and he referred me to make a self referral to the physiotherapy department at sandwell hospital by phoning 0121 507 2664 I tried constantly phoning this number when answered it supplied me with a list of options to my option being no3 I constantly kept doing doing this and all it kept doing was reverting back to the beginning each time and ending getting nowhere.
Looked for e.mail address to see if I could contact them that way but just drawn a blank.
So I have ending up wasting my time and being that today is Friday there is no way I can try to make contact again until Monday but I don't hold out much hope even then

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 07 July 2017

Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 24 July 2017

Dear Roy, thank you for taking your time to let us know about your experience with our Physiotherapy service. I am sorry to hear what happened to you. We have tested this number and it seems to be working fine now, so if you would like to book your appointment with our physiotherapy team, please do so. Thank you and I wish you well, Toby Lewis, Chief Executive.

Anonymous gave Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

OPAU

My 90 year old Mother has been admitted to OPAU twice in the past month.
I usually have the utmost respect for our Nhs staff but have to say the majority of nurses on this ward are miserable and unapproachable. No communication, didn't keep us informed and on both occasions Mom was discharged without any family member being informed!

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 08 July 2017

Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 25 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your experience at our Trust. This is not the sort of behaviour that we would expect from our staff and we would like to investigate this further for you. Please contact our ward manager on OPAU, Vicky Howard on 0121 507 2757, who will address the concerns that you have raised. Kind regards, Toby Lewis, Chief Executive.

Total lack of communication and compassion

A family member was admitted to A&E last week. He has terminal cancer and had fractured a hip. It took 36 hours before his pain was controlled. Seeing someone in almost constant agony for so long is totally unacceptable. We asked a nurse in A&E for a pillow and was told we don't have any as no one returns them to us. We asked the same nurse to adjust the bed, the nurse was unhappy about helping and then pressed a button sending the back rest crashing down , this caused excruciating pain , jolting the fracture. We kept asking for information and pain relief and was met with unsympathetic and inaccurate answers. In the past I have witnessed hospitals that are busy and under resourced but have always found staff to be dedicated and helpful. This week I witnessed incompetant and uncaring staff at a time that my family member needed their help. We are professional, polite people and were met with rudeness and indifference.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 05 June 2017

Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 08 June 2017

Thank you for sending us your feedback. I am very sorry to hear what happened. What you have described falls below our usual high standards of care and as such I would like an opportunity to investigate this for you. Please could you e-mail our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) swb-tr.pals@nhs.net and someone will contact you to get some more details to allow us to investigate your complaint further. Kind regards, Toby Lewis, Chief Executive.

Trying to rearrange an appointment for mum

Letter recieved for an eye appointment for mum rang them to rearrange but this was very difficult clerk told me appointments were only on Thursday even though I told her I lived in Northampton and worked Thursdays. They said there was no other day available. They had no understanding of careers needs. They had the cheek to ask me why I could not bring my mum When I said I would not be able to bring due to working they said that transport could collect her, I advised that mum would need a career to attend with her, they became very rude. Eventually they agreed another dr could see her on a Friday. And a letter would be sent.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 10 March 2017

Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 16 March 2017

Thank you for your taking the time to give us this feedback on our service, it’s important we hear from our patients and carers so we can improve and shape our services. I am sorry to hear that you did not feel supported with your mum’s appointment and service on the phone. I would be grateful if you would please send the full details of the incident to our Patient Advice and Liaison Service at swb-tr.pals@nhs.net so we can learn from your experience. Thank you and I wish you well. Raffaela Goodby, Director of Organisation Development.

Not Impressed

Not really been impressed so far. ThankmuWaited 1 month for an appointment letter, then waited four months after letter to actually get appointment. Reported to a waiting room where a nurse stood in a dark corner, where you couldn't see them, and quietly called your name. If you didn't see them, they'd skip you and call the next... all a bit daft when we're in the Ophthamology section. When I was called I was in and out in 5 minutes. Before looking st my eyes, they Told me it's probably "stress from studying for my GCSE's" bear in mind I'm a working adult and left school over 10 years ago! When they realised this, said it's too late to do any tests now, we'll send you another appointment. Received the second letter after 3 months, and after speaking to a very rude receptionist would you believe, 3-6 months for an appointment! Because of course. I'm sure they're brilliant for some, so far I'm not impressed coming up to two years of sight loss, blurred vision and migraines and all I've got so far is a headache from the service.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 17 May 2017

Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 22 May 2017

I am sorry to hear about the issues you have faced. I would like the opportunity to investigate this further for you. Please could you email our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) swb-tr.pals@nhs.net and a member of the team will contact you to get some more details so that we can help resolve your concerns. Kind regards, Tony Waite, Director of Finance & Performance.

Zbai4755 gave at Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

3 years and waiting...

3 years ago I snapped my ACL, meniscus and some other tendons in my left knee. 3 years on and I'm still waiting for the op. I had an op last year in October but being as they did not scan the knee beforehand, they didn't expect the knee to be so badly injured, they weren't prepared for the severity of the injury. They removed a tendon and sewed me back up. I was told they'd scan my knee on the next appointment within 6 weeks and then arrange for a knee reconstruction. My following appointment came, I got to city hospital and waited... And waited... I was finally seen and told I had been referred to the wrong hospital. I was asked how I am and I said my knee is still in a lot of pain and still gives way on me. I had to wait for yet another appointment. During the wait, I received a follow up letter which claimed that I stated I was no longer in pain... December 23rd I finally have an appointment, once again they don't scan me and tell me they will go ahead for the reconstruction and that the operation will be in 6-8 weeks. Today is 20th April and apparently I am still at the bottom of the waiting list. I have twin baby daughters who I carried while my knee was in such a state (doctor told me they'd never seen a case so bad), I can't walk long distances, I can't even jump without my leg giving way. 3 years it has taken so far. The first two years I was told there was nothing wrong with my knee, it was just swelling. I was passed back and forth between Sandwell and city. My entire life has been affected. I am now considering going private.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 20 April 2017

Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 21 April 2017

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to hear about your experience. Please send the full details to our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at swb-tr.pals@nhs.net so we can look into this. Toby Lewis, Chief Executive.

Anonymous gave Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Sanswell AMU B & Priory 4

Well what can I say , both the wards offered me fantastic care while I was in hospital with a brain bleed and thrombosis . From the patient care to the cleanliness of the ward to the quality of the food while stayed cannot be faulted . I cannot thank the hospital and its staff enough for the way they treated me throughout . They genuinely left no stone unturned before allowing me to go home . Thank you

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 09 November 2016

Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 14 November 2016

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I am pleased to hear that you are satisfied with the care that you received at Sandwell Hospital. Please be reassured that your kind words will be passed on to the teams and I wish you well. Best wishes, Toby Lewis, Chief Executive.

Over one year on....

I am extremely disappointed with the service I have been provided with by Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre. I originally went to my optician in March 2016 who referred me to the hospital regarding the issues with my eyes. I was eventually given an appointment for July 2016 (which exceeded the recommended 18 weeks waiting) with this turning out to be an examination. The doctor there said that I would need to see a consultant. I saw that consultant in December 2016 and that is the last I have seen or had any contact with them. I was supposed to see them again in March 2017 but they were not in the clinic that day and I was not informed of this. By the time I was seen, the clinic had closed and I was told that I would need to come back for a scan which eventually took place in May 2017. I am still waiting for the results of that scan and to see my consultant. I was given an appointment for June 2017 but this was cancelled and as of yet I am still waiting for an appointment. So, in short I have been under the hospital for a year now and have not received any treatment for my eyes. What hasn't helped matters was in January 2017 I had to visit the eye A&E department with an issue which has affected my eyesight but was told that I needed to inform my consultant. How can I do that when I haven't seen them???? Trying to get through to speak to a secretary has also had its issues with none of them phoning me back like they have said they would. Should I ever get to see my consultant again, this issue will have been going on for nearly 18 months!!! This is simply not good enough.
I have tried contacting PALS on the telephone number provided on the website and this asks you for a login which in turn then cuts you off because you don't have one. All in all, I have never experienced such a terrible NHS service as the one that I have received from the eye centre. I'm not one for complaining but this has simply gone on for far too long and I would not recommend this service to anybody. I would have given 0 stars but that's not an option.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 24 July 2017

Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 25 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your experience at our Trust. I am sorry about the issues that you have had when waiting for an appointment to see one of our consultants. This falls short of the excellent care and service that we aim to offer at our Trust. I am sorry you have been unable to get through to PALS on their telephone number. If you would still like to pursue your complaint, please call Laura Young, Directorate Lead Nurse for Ophthalmology, at Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre on 07964 912158, who will speak to you directly about your experience.
Thank you and I wish you well, Toby Lewis, Chief Executive.

Anonymous reviewed Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust

Birmingham treatment centre -procedures unit

I have been to this unit today and cannot speak highly enough of the superb service I received,I went in for an invasive treatment and the staff treated me superbly ,explaind every part of my treatment and being there to reassure me at all times.All the staff are excellent and the facilities second to none.Thank you all you are a credit to the nhs.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 27 May 2016

Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 07 June 2016

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the staff in the Birmingham Treatment Centre.  I was pleased to read that you were well cared for, and that every part of your treatment was explained to you. Thank you and I wish you well, Toby Lewis, Chief Executive.