Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust

01743 261000 Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, Mytton Oak Road , Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY3 8XQ

mikehf46 reviewed Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust

Two courses of antibiotics

It all started when I went into hospital for a Hydrocele operation, it was cancelled, because my body temp was too high. They kept me in and discovered I had gallstones and faulty gallbladder. Eventually left hospital then I had two abscesses on my anus. Had operation to remove but they turned into fistules, still have at present. Heard noises in the attic and found we had rats, called pest offices. Took a month to get rid of them, seems ok now. Because I have to wear a sanitary towel due to the leakage of pus from the fistules, when changing I noticed there were creatures on the towel. Further examination showed them swimming in the toilet bowl. Treated by the doctor, two courses of antibiotics. This is when it all came to a head and I started dripping in excess, rushed to the hospital treated but have to go back for further tests. Hydrocele still hasn't been done, gallstones and bladder removed, further operation on fistules required. No date given as yet.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 07 November 2018 using Care Opinion

chris head gave Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

brilliant caring service

I have been to Shrewsbury hospital twice now ! and on both occasions I have found the service there faultless and very caring.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 01 December 2018

Tony Hunt gave Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Care

My first time in a hospital for major operation,very nervous and apprehensive.

The nursing staff on ward 26 were amazing. Nothing was too much trouble,treated with respect and politeness always. Always addressed by my christian name. All the other staff who you meet were also polite,friendly and helpful.

Some good meals and some not so good. I would have liked to see more fruit choices. Scrambled eggs at breakfast would have been welcome,if it possible to make well on a big scale.

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 18 October 2018

Poppy gave Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 3 stars

A&e slip up good job I looked at paperwork

On Friday 10 th my husband was took to a&e after feeling unwell ,took to minors first had all BP heart checks ,then told going to do bloods after a while a nurse came in with blood form placed on table and went away ,20 mine later she returned with tray of blood things to take bloods placed on top of blood form and went to walk away ,in-between all this I'd sat and read the blood form witch I thought was for my husband ,and noticed a difrent name the form wasn't my husband's was for another patient and had urgent on it when the nurse returned said is this form for my husband's blood ,yes she said I then pointed out it wasn't and she looked at me strange looked at the form then asked what my husband's name was ,I was quite taken back by this thank god I'd read the form ,I just hope someone else had not had my husband's form with there bloods ,so now I double check everything , was transferred to majors and kept in overnight ,lovley staff in majors and stroke ward

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 13 August 2018

Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust replied on 24 September 2018

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the A&E Department at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, although I was sorry to hear of the error with handling and processing records. Your feedback is important and helpful and so I have shared this with the A&E Manager so she can address this with her team. Once again please accept our apologies for the upset caused and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I do hope your husband is now feeling much better.

Patient Experience Team.

Anonymous gave Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

My wife's trip to a&e Shrewsbury &stay in hospital

My wife had been internal bleeding all day we had seen a g.p. twice that day the second time after she had pass out & fitted. The doctor call an ambulance and arranged a bed, he said the ambulance would take no more than two hours this was at 6:10pm, we went home to pack a bag and wait for the ambulance.
At 8:00pm the ambulance service called and said that they had no ambulance at all, I asked any after midnight they didn't know. I then took my wife my self she had lost some where between one &two pints of blood and didn't want her to die.
When we got to a&e I asked for direction to the c.c.u. ward and was told it was full and there was no doctors, told to sit wait even after explaining the problem. We waited 10minutes and she had a blood test, waited 10 more minutes and was put on a trolley in a corridor after half an hour I explained to the nurse the problem again and said she needs access to a toilet. Eventual the got the message got through and put her in cubicle still no treatment till 11:30,
When a nurse started an I.v drip, sore a doctor at12:15am. Got put on ward at 3:00am

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 09 September 2018

Patricia gave Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Emergency admission

Referred to AMU following blood test results from my GP. Arrived at AMU where I was assessed, given chest x Ray, further blood tests. Diagnosed with low sodium levels and admitted to ward 32 short stay Ward. Staff there were wonderful , reassuring, always cheerful and friendly. You were treated like an individual not a number passing through. Cannot praise highly enough.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 24 August 2018

Roger morton gave Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Waited 4.5 hours in Telford A&E on 28/07/18

Gave up waiting for help with an eye problem after having a vetrectomy eye operation 3 weeks ago and decided to go over to the Birmingham eye hospital instead as the standard of waiting was so poor without being given any indication of how much longer I was supposed to wait until seeing a doctor..
It cost me £6.00 in parking charges of which none goes to our health service so all in all a very poor substandard of service.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 21 July 2018

Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust replied on 14 August 2018

Good afternoon,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your length of wait in the A&E Department at the Princess Royal Hospital. I am sorry that you didn't receive more information about how much longer your wait was likely to be, I appreciate this would have helped significantly and so I will ensure I share this feedback to the A&E Department Manager so she is aware of the difficulties you encountered.

To help reassure you, income from car parking charges does come back into the Trust as there is an agreement in place between the Car Parking Company and the Trust.

I do hope you are now feeling better.

Jan wood gave Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Day surgery at shrewsbury

I recently attended the hospital for a gallbladder removal op by keyhole surgery at the day surgery department. I had been waiting six months for my appointment and eventually received a cancellation to attend within three days for my procedure which was a bit of a shock. However on the day I received excellent service and care from the team. The nurses and doctors were brilliant even though I could see they were under a lot of pressure. They did a great job and I was allowed to leave later that day feeling I had been well taken care of. I am now on the road to recovery and looking back over that day I can only praise the staff for making my stay a really positive experience. I just wanted to write and thank them for being amazing and think they should receive the praise they deserve.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 20 June 2018

Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust replied on 25 June 2018

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the Day Surgery Unit with us. I have shared your feedback with the Day Surgery Ward Manager so she is aware of the impact her team had and so she can share it with them. Receiving feedback is very important to us and means a lot to the staff, so thank you for getting in touch with your kind comments.

I am glad to hear you are now on the road to recovery.

HBHW gave Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Appalling Service at Telford Urgent Care Centre

I recently had to take my daughter to the Urgent Care Centre in Telford where we experienced a very poor service. Following initial registration at the A&E desk we were called to the registration 2 desk and advised that my daughter would be treated by the Urgent Care Centre and to take a seat in the children's waiting area.

After a 5 hour wait to be seen when I inquired at desk again there seem to be a confused scramble by the staff, we later overheard that we were missed off the system.
Yet to try and cover their mistake we were told that someone came for us but we "must of popped outside at the time" which was untrue.

To make matters worse we had to pay £8 parking fee for being there for over 5 hours.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 10 May 2018

Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust replied on 31 May 2018

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of attending the Urgent Care Centre but I am very sorry to hear of the difficulties you encountered. I will share this feedback with the A&E Manager so they can address this with their team. If you would like us to look into your concerns please contact the PALS service on 01952 641222 ext 4382 so we can investigate this further.

Regards

Maisie’s mum gave Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 3 stars

Disappointed

I took my 90 year old mother to A&E after a fall, and a referral from her GP. We knew we would have to wait and it was some time before we saw the nurse, at the reception desk. There was no indication how long we would be, or where we were in a queue. Three hours later, my mother sitting in a not very comfortable wheelchair and in draughts because there was no easy place to put the chair which didn’t block access, we were called through to a cubicle which appeared to be more of an office with no bed or chair. The doctor asked why she was there, as she couldn’t hear him and he didn’t repeat the question I told him that she had fallen heavily on her arm and her GP was concerned there might be a small fracture.. He asked if she could raise her arm, could put it across her chest and then felt her upper arm through her coat. We were then sent to X-ray. On our return from X-ray we waited in the draught some more and eventually the doctor called us to the corridor beside reception and told us there didn’t appear to be a break...I asked if a sling would help. 'Do you want a sling' he asked. Yes, if it will help I replied. Another wait then we were taken back to the cubicle area but this time we were in the corridor while two nurses sorted a sling for my mother, talking about their handover and patient details, totally ignoring her. After giving me a leaflet they both walked away without saying anything to either of us. Assuming we were dismissed we left.
I can tolerate the waiting and can quite understand the reasons, what I can’t accept is the total lack of care and compassion from the medical staff for a frail, cold, 90 year old. The check in receptionist was the most helpful and sympathetic person in the department.
On a positive note,the receptionist at the main desk.went out of her way to help. On arrival I had problems finding disabled parking and she rang the parking attendant to see if I could stay where I had parked under the circumstances. Then a space right by the door became vacant so I moved my car to it and by then the receptionist had come out with a chair, put it next to the door so my mother had the minimum distance to move, and proceeded to push her towards the entrance until an air ambulance man gave us a hand. I didn’t get either name but they were the two rays of light in an otherwise bleak afternoon.
Both my parents have had very good treatment at RSH on the wards, it’s such a disappointment it doesn’t seem to be the case in A&E.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 27 February 2018

Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust replied on 05 April 2018

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience at the A&E Department at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, although I am very sorry to hear of the difficulties you encountered with lack of care and compassion for your mother. I will share this feedback with the A&E Manager and Matron who I know will be very sorry to hear of the problems you encountered. Please accept our apologies for the upset this caused. Thank you though for your positive feedback about the other staff, this is appreciated. If you would like us to look into your concerns in more detail, please contact our PALS team on 01743 261691 or email PALS@sath.nhs.uk so that we can help address these concerns.