Pain Management Solutions

0800 034 0406 Head Office, Longfields Court, Wharncliffe Business Park , Barnsley, South Yorkshire, S71 3GN

Malcolm gave Pain Management Solutions a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care by dedicated staff

I have been in pain for over 30 years, after breaking my back in an industrial accident. I had 2 operations and various other treatments soon after the accident, but was left in constant severe pain. I was then discharged from the hospital, and told to see my GP for pain relief medication. I was put on opioids along with other drugs, which made me feel very low but did not seem to do much to control the pain. Over the years I have returned to my GP several times to review my prescription, and to see if more effective treatments were available. During those visits I was always advised that I was on the best drugs for long term pain control.

Eventually I saw a newly qualified GP, who referred me to Pain Management Solutions. Part of the course included a review of my pain medication. During that review I was told that while opioids are good for short term pain, they are not suitable for long term chronic pain. Indeed they are now known to sensitise the nervous system, actually increasing the pain signals to the brain. I was strongly advised to phase these drugs out, which was an horrific process spread over several weeks. Eventually I was free of the opioids, and the side effects of giving them up settled down.

During this period I also attended a Pain Management Course. At first I didn't think that I'd benefit from this, as I had been managing my pain for over 30 years. I was completely wrong. During the course we were taught the science behind pain, coping strategies, mindfulness and relaxation techniques. Using this understanding of my pain, and using these techniques I am now able to manage my pain in a much more effective way.

I have finished the course now, and feel more positive than I have for years. I can also think more clearly now that I no longer take opioids. In short, this course of treatment has changed my life, and I will be forever grateful to the staff at Pain Management Solutions. I cannot commend them highly enough.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 18 January 2019

Anonymous gave Pain Management Solutions a rating of 1 stars

Made me feel worse - total waste of time

I was seen by a person from the Pain management solutions due to chronic back pain. I am not sure of the professional status of this person, as they simply introduced themselves by their first name.
I was told the appointment would be 30 minutes. However, the first 20 minutes were spent by the person reading out questions from a computer screen and inputting my responses - I felt completely bamboozled and did not feel I was given sufficient time to consider my answers
I was then given a booklet. Nice glossy booklet. Written by Pete. A Patient.

The pain person explained to me about pacing myself and my activities - which I told her I am already doing. However, I do not think she can have heard me say that and she continued on about pacing.

I asked if the service included a medication review. She seemed surprised that I wanted one. I was told I would be contacted by some else regarding that.

( Sadly, 7 weeks later no contact has been made.)

That was time up for my appointment .... the glossy booklet was closed and I was sent on my way.

I felt so negative about my health after this appointment.

I did not feel I was listened to, and I feel I was spoken to as though I am stupid.

I got outside and wanted to cry.
Bitterly disappointed.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 28 January 2019

Suzanne gave Pain Management Solutions a rating of 5 stars

pain management

I've just had my 10 week follow up appointment following a 6 week pain management plan course. What can I say - I'm in a different place to where I was this time last year. I'm not pain free but I manage it. The group I attended was small and I met some amazing people who were all supportive of each other. When I arrived I'd be wrong if I said I wasn't apprehensive because I was. We weren't given quick fixes or given extra medication . It all about what you can do to help yourself, coping strategies, changing how you see yourself and a setting yourselves small goals that you can build on . Its been challenging at times, my mind set has changed and I'm now been able to say to others sorry I cant do this or have found better solutions to enable me to do things. I'm using the strategies I was given everyday and I've managed to reduce my medication which I didn't think possible this time last year. A big thanks to the 2 guys who run the course you were great .To others who are thinking of do it - go , be open minded, be prepared to try everything that's suggested, remember not everything works for everyone but you can find things that will might work for you so stick with it.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 16 December 2018

Pain Management Solutions replied on 17 December 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our service on NHS Choices and passing on your positive experience. I am delighted to hear that you are now managing your persistent pain condition more effectively and have successfully reduced your reliance on medication.
Best Wishes

Mr C.Beck. gave Pain Management Solutions a rating of 1 stars

Three wasted visits

It took three visits to determine that I was attending the wrong place to deal with the type of pain that I was experiencing.
This could have been made obvious during the first visit by giving more than vague suggestions as to what I could expect.

This could have prevented me from having hopes raised that I would benefit from treatment on offer.

Your clinic could not provide what I required and it was agreed that what I needed was "Pain Control"
My type of pain could not be helped by conversation'

This could have been made clear at the first visit

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 06 December 2018

Pain Management Solutions replied on 06 December 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our service on NHS Choices. I am very sorry to hear that you feel you had 3 wasted appointments with our service. In order to fully investigate your concerns and respond accordingly, I would be grateful if you could contact our head office to share your name and your concerns.

Craig gave Pain Management Solutions a rating of 1 stars

Waiting times

I had a pain management appointment after waiting 9 months then was given no pain meds and told I had to wait an other year in agonising pain with having wide spread pain,fibromyalgia,degenerate spine among other things.what is the point of the NHS when they can't do they're job.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 03 January 2019

hlnsxx gave Pain Management Solutions a rating of 5 stars

Sacriston

This couldn't have been a better experience, the guys were lovely, informative and not in the least bit judgemental. As silly as it sounds I'm extremely sad that the six weeks are over, those Wednesday afternoons spent with a small group of ladies who were all so different from myself suffering with similar issues was like a group therapy session! Everyone there was so supportive and uplifting including the two guys running the course. I'm so glad I signed up for this and it really has helped in ways I never thought it would. Lads if you see this I just wanna say thank you so much and I've already used my flare up plans!

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 13 October 2018

Pain Management Solutions replied on 15 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our service on NHS Choices and share your experience. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the pain management programme, that you took valuable information away from it and you are putting what you have learnt into practice. Staff receive regular communication regarding patient feedback and they will be pleased to hear your positive comments.

Ron gave Pain Management Solutions a rating of 1 stars

really really bad

i waited nearly 1 year to see this person i had been suffering since then as my doctor told me only a pain specialist could help me before i was due to go see him it had took me around 2 weeks to fill in a form with everything that was wrong problems it was causing in my life we put everything in there when i arrived at the appointment i was shocked to see the specialist had a ripped of piece of papers and pen i sat down for 40 mins he was asking me question that i had already put in the form he should have had and looked threw it was obvious to me he had not read one thing i had put in the forms i left with some chilli cream i was so mad that this guy had wasted a year of my life because he could not be bothered to read my form telling me at the end of the appointment i suffer chronic pain he was treating my like this had just happen when it was 10 yr old injury upset is a understatement so im back to not sleep at night pain most the day.

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 01 November 2018

Pain Management Solutions replied on 15 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our service and provide your feedback. I am extremely sorry that you were disappointed with the service you received from IPMS. We regularly monitor our referral to treatment wait times to ensure that patients are seen within the 18week national key performance indicator. Our regional contract managers monitor capacity to ensure that there are appointments available and typically there are appointments available within 4 weeks of referral, therefore, I am extremely shocked to hear that you waited one year for an initial assessment appointment. Please may I encourage you to contact us by telephone, post or email to express a formal complaint to allow us to fully investigate and respond to your concerns.

Andy gave Pain Management Solutions a rating of 5 stars

Lower back pain treatment 5STAR TREATMENT

I have been through the pain management system for nearly 2 years.
This has been a great experience. They have helped me through different phases of treatment ranging from acupuncture to steroid injections and beyond.
5 stars for the pain management team.
Although there is no magic pill to fix anyone’s ailments this service goes a long way to helping you find a way forward.
Thank you all at pain management.
Andy
Telford area.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 07 November 2018

Dear Andy,
Thank you for taking the time to review our service on NHS Choices and share your experience. I am delighted to hear that you gained significant benefit from the treatment provided by IPMS. I will share your comments with the Telford team who will pleased to read your praise and learn that you have shared your positive experience. Thank you.

Anonymous gave Pain Management Solutions a rating of 1 stars

pointless appointment

waited over a year for an appointment, only one appointment asked the same questions which already been asked and passed on from GP and got only a booklet and a web address out of it and i guess i am discharged the same day because i haven't heard from them since september. i only got a copy of letter they sent to GP which is a report of answers from questions that the GP asked me and already knows. this information is going round in circles and no help for my chronic back pain whatsoever. What's the point in this pain clinic. Its a waste of time and money going there.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 22 November 2018

Pain Management Solutions replied on 29 November 2018

Dear Patient
I am very sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the service you have received from INHEALTH Pain Management Solutions. Please may I encourage you to contact our administration team on 0800 034 0406 to pass on your contact details so that we can investigate why you have not yet received an appointment.
Yours Sincerely
Emily Byatt, Quality and Governance Manager.

Adrian gave Pain Management Solutions a rating of 5 stars

Excellent if you enter with an open mind & commit to it

Essentially, you get out positive results if you listen, engage and try to follow the advice relevant to you. I fear people are not giving it chance and are expecting miracles..

I was on a course designed to help you live with chronic pain, they cannot get rid of it, I feel people have unrealistic expectations.

I missed the first session of six due to a mix up, but they did their best to get me up to speed and offered a one to one to cover fully. On week 2 they bought 2 courses together because of lack of numbers yet by week 5 there were still only 4 left!

The course has helped improve my walking and sleeping posture, made me understand why pacing every activity is essential and improve my mindset, along with providing many other little nuggets of useful information, covering a wide range of mental and physical areas that add up to make a positive difference.

I have chronic pain following a no so successful spinal fusion from 10 years ago and I work part time in teaching and I hope the positives continue to make a difference when I return to school.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 19 August 2018

Pain Management Solutions replied on 28 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our service. I am delighted to hear that you have had a positive experience and gained benefit from accessing our service.