The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust

020 7272 3070 The Whittington Hospital, Magdala Avenue , London, N19 5NF

Emily gave The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Terrible datation scan, rude sonographer

Came to the hospital for the 12sa scan a few days ago and was utterly disapointed by the service.

The member of staff was rude, completely lacking of people skills (a smile and a little reassurance wouldn't hurt in that situation, I think) they clearly couldn't care less and they pressed on my stomach so violently it still aches and I had bruises the day after (never had such a bad experience with a scan before). Please do something about that or I'm pretty sure you will have a lot more reviews like this one.

I know this is a big hopistal and you see a lot of patients but for most parents, the first scan is a big thing and a stressful experience so the staff could be a little bit understanding and let's dare to say... caring.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 11 September 2017

Anonymous gave The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Bad reception!

I called up multiple times explaining I had been pricked with a needle by a beggar. Concerned he may have been HIV+ I called up asking if I should come into A&E. I was transferred a couple times with no explanation and hung up on 4 times! The staff were rude and eventually an angry "senior member of staff" answered the phone and told me to make an appointment with my GP then hung up. I then called 111 and explained my situation, they said I should head into A&E immediately. I then headed to the Royal Free where I was put straight through to have blood tests, received hepatitis vaccinations and a course of Post Exposure Prophylaxis, which is required within 72 hours of the incident to reduce the risk of contracting HIV! This is disgraceful behaviour! I'm shocked this is how you're dealing with people.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 02 May 2017

The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust replied on 31 May 2017

Thank you for getting in touch to inform us of your experience.
We are sorry to hear that you had some difficulty getting in touch with our Accident and Emergency department, and then also had a negative experience over the telephone.
Would you be able to please contact our PALs team by calling 020 7288 5551 or via email whh-tr.whitthealthPALS@nhs.net. This will help us in investigating your feedback further.

Excellent service!

I attended the emergency department with a suspected ankle fracture. From start to finish all the staff were very friendly, helpfuI, professional and caring. I was seen very quickly and wasn't waiting for very long at all! Thank you all!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 07 May 2017

The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust replied on 31 May 2017

Thank you for getting in touch to let us know about your experience with us.
We are really glad to hear that our team in the Emergency Department looked after you so well during your time with us. We will pass on your feedback to the Emergency Department staff and we hope your ankle is recovering well!

Very attentive care in A&E

I attended A&E after feeling faint and light headed. I am a diabetic with a host of other conditions but this did feel like an ordinary hypo. Luckily they confirmed that my heart was OK an I was able to go home after about 7 hours.

The entire staff at the A&E were very caring and attentive. My doctor and the nurse who took care of me in particular were very diligent and kind. I would highly recommend this hospital and I would go here again.

Take note though-if you are there in the evening the main canteen is closed-only hot drinks and some cakes are available after 5pm. Bring your own food.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 11 April 2017

The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust replied on 03 August 2017

Hello, thank you for commenting.
We are happy to hear that you had such a positive experience with us. Thank you for your feedback.

Elaine Wells gave at The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Hip hip hooray for Thoroughgood!

I have just returned home after undergoing a hip replacement at the lovely Whittington hospital. I had the most amazingly positive experience throughout the whole process, from Admissions to post surgical care.
Every health professional I encountered took time to time to explain what would be happening and checked that I was happy with the information. I was particularly impressed by the anaesthetic team, in this regard, as this was a quite uncomfortable procedure.

The nurses in post-op recovery were so kind and reassuring as I waited for transfer to the ward.

I was looked after so well on Thoroughgood orthopaedic ward as I recovered from my op. All the staff were compassionate, professional and very friendly. Again, I was impressed with how they explained aspects of recovery, medication and treatment. Nothing was too much trouble for them and their patience was incredible.

Their attitude helps to promote a great atmosphere of community and positivity among the patients - a powerful aid to recovery.

I know this isn't a one-off as I had my first hip replaced there in 2010, and I had a similarly positive experience. I would strongly recommend this orthopaedic department to anyone needing similar treatment.
Thank you, once again to the consultant and the orthopaedic team for your skill and care.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 14 April 2017

Hello Elaine,
Thank you for getting in touch to let us know of your experiences with Whittington Health.
We are very happy to hear of the positive, compassionate and professional care that you received through your treatment with us. Thank you and we wish you the best.

Anonymous gave The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 3 stars

Great doctors ... dirty hospital

I have written before about the state of the hospital, i.e. dirty floors walls and toilets. The ladies' toilets on the third floor are always a disgrace, as they were yesterday. A mop wrapped around the base of the toilet in one of the cubicles has been like this for several weeks now - I presume to soak up leaks - and a bin sitting on top of the toilet in another cubicle. On the first floor, a bin was also sitting on top of one of the toilets although the toilets as a whole are marginally cleaner. To my mind, all hospitals should smell and look clean as soon as you walk through the entrance but first and last impressions of the Whittington are always what a dirty, grubby place it is, which is a shame because the doctors and nurses are very good.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 02 February 2017

The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust replied on 03 August 2017

Thank you for getting in touch.
We are sorry to hear of this - if you would like us to investigate, can you please contact our PALS and Complaints team on 020 7288 5551 or via email whh-tr.whitthealthPALS@nhs.net.

Anonymous gave The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Avoid this disorganised,distressing,unprofessional hospital

I've been unfortunate and been referred to this hospital by a GP over 2 years ago and had numerous appointments so far mainly in gastroenterology and colorectal department, all these appointments made me feel awful,and disrespected afterwards.for the start,this is a teaching hospital so there are students present at most appointments,this should have been mentioned to patients before they are referred to, since most people with private conditions rightfully do not want to be a learning subject and to be seen in front of non professional students.while one has the right to ask the students to leave, this can cause distress.I've had a colonoscopy and had to argue in the operation room with a nurse while I was in a gown lying on the bed why i don't want a student present! so awkward and just plain wrong. there is also real and continuous problem with management and appointments,I've had 2 missed appointments because they simply did not send appointment letters to me and I just received a missed appointment letter few weeks after and had to wait few months for next appointment..on one occasion I had another colonoscopy appointment and I had to do strict preparations including fasting and drinking horrible laxatives the 24h before the appointment, at 8PM the day before the appointment when I was already many hours into preparations,someone called me from hospital and said my appointment is cancelled due to strike! couldn't they call me sooner or at least in the morning before I start the preparation? I have to say their diagnosis was also always with uncertainty..the gastro doctor I see is never reassuring and talks very fast unlike any professional doctor I've ever seen and has the attitude of "I don't know, let's see what happens to you, what else you can do" attitude. you feel you are in low grade charity centre for homeless people instead of a proper hospital ..poor service, dirty hospital, receptionist says in your face they 'don't know" how to change your address, details etc,PLEASE AVOID THIS HOSPITAL. because once you are referred to it's very difficult to change hospital.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 06 February 2017

The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust replied on 03 August 2017

We are sorry to hear of this - if you would like us to investigate, please contact our PALs team by calling 020 7288 5551 or via email whh-tr.whitthealthPALS@nhs.net.

Daniela gave The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Very good experience in Endoscopy department

I had a great experience in endoscopy department last Wednesday 28/12/16. I was a bit nervous at first but the staff was fantastic, Nurses were very friendly, smiling and helpful, I was very impressed by their efficiency and kindness. The doctor was professional and answered patiently to every questions I asked. I'm aware that every experience is different but since I had a very good one I wanted to share it with you. Thank you! :)

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 29 December 2016

Hayley gave The Whittington Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Transferred late & had home birth under community team

We had to transfer hospitals when I was 37 weeks pregnant. Staff were amazing at accommodating our wish for a homebirth and arranged a short notice homebirth assessment.

Our community midwife was very supportive and encouraging. We attended the hospital when we thought movements had reduced and they too were excellent. I went ten days over and received acupuncture at the hospital free of charge. We paid to do a couples massage class which was good too.

On the day of the birth we called a midwife out in early labour at about 2am and they made an initial assessment and left. Some hours later we called again (we definitely should have called sooner). Our midwife arrived about 40 minutes later with a student midwife but no gas and air as they could tell on the phone I was advanced and didn't want to delay by going to the hospital to collect it.

By this time I was feeling the urge to push and I was examined and was 8cm dilated. The midwives were calm and incredibly supportive and I really appreciated the student midwives gentle strokes along side my partners when the pain was at its peak. I then transferred to the pool. Up until this point the midwife was telling me not to push as it could slow labour. Around 18 minutes later our daughter was born. During the pushing the midwife was calm, encouraging and commanding, telling me what to do. They also took a photo shortly after which we treasure.

The other midwife then arrived with the gas and air!

All three midwives then took excellent care on me whilst the placenta was being delivered, followed our birth plan and were very kind and reassuring.

They tidied up, made me tea and toast, did their paperwork and left us in peace with our new baby.

The follow up visits were also excellent.

On one occasion we attended A & E when she was only 8 days old and had been projectile vomiting and again the service we received was excellent. I also had to attend for retained products and an infection.

Our health visitor is very supportive and knowledgable too.

We were so pleased with the care we received, both at the hospital and by the community team.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 02 March 2017

Hi Hayley,
We are very happy to hear that you have had so many positive experiences across our services and thank you for writing to let us know about them - it is so rewarding for us to read.
We wish you and your family all the best!

Very positive experience

Saw out-of-hours GP at Whittington, who referred on to A&E. Sunday morning so relatively quiet time - seen quickly, all staff were helpful and responsive. Good atmosphere.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 09 August 2016