St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust

0151 426 1600 Whiston Hospital, Warrington Road , Prescot, Merseyside, L35 5DR

Pete W gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Unacceptable wait to answer phones?

Left angry and frustrated by poor contact using telephone. The main switch board number rang ang and rang for 10minutes before I was ‘buttoned’. Same thing followed before sullen, bad mannered response. I asked to be transferred to the Dermatology dept and was met by the same endless ringing followed by another ‘buttoning’ cut off. I’m a huge fan of the people at the sharp end of the NHS but the first point of contact makes a huge impression on you and Whiston’s phone contact is dreadful. Please pay somebody to answer the phone?!

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 14 August 2018

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 15 August 2018

Thank you for taking time to feedback to us regarding your recent telephone experience. We take all issues surrounding patient experience very seriously and we are extremely sorry that on this occasion this was not at the standard we would expect. If you feel you would like to discuss this further please contact our PALS team either by email at pals@sthk.nhs.uk or on 0151 430 1376.

Jacquie Dunn gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

Contact

I have tried to contact by phone today with no success to rearrange an appointment as I’m not able to attend 1 hour later I still can’t get anyone just a recording saying therapy suite not available and via switchboard a recording saying closed till 12.30
It’s appalling when you need to cancel or speak to anyone as they eilll have you down as a dna and I just needed to rearrange

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 29 August 2018

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 31 August 2018

We are very sorry that you have not been able to get through to rearrange your appointment. If you would like to call Helen Cain, Quality Matron on 0151 430 1226 she will look into this for you.

Dee Anders gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Dental services St Helens Hospital

I recently had to have a tooth extraction on the Sanderson Suite at St Helens Hospital. After waiting since December 2017 & a number of attempts by other dental services, to execute sedation, and me having to postpone an appointment, I finally was able to have the dreaded tooth removed. I have the need to review the service I received as it was such a high quality. From the moment I arrived, through booking in and both the dentist and the anaesthiologist spending time with me, fully explaining the procedure and which type of anaesthetic they would administer. I was extremely nervous, hence sedation, but they all put me totally at my ease. I can not praise everyone there enough. Thank you all so very much. I apologise for being dreadful in remembering names. If there were more dentists like this dentist, everyone would go regularly.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 18 August 2018

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 26 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your recent experience on the Sanderson Suite. We appreciate that attending for any treatment can be stressful and are glad our staff made the experience easier for you. We can assure you that your feedback has been sent to the Sanderson Suite so that your comments can be shared with the wider team.

Graham Roberts gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Dressings clinic @ Whiston Hospital

Once again wonderful care from superlative caring staff. Pleasant reception staff....I was seen as per appointment time. A week after op to remove melanoma and a BCC and my wound was examined and advice for future care from 2 other practioners was also sought BCC stitches removed .

Please ensure that all staff know just how highly they are regarded.

kind regards,

Graham Roberts

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 07 June 2018

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 14 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share how happy you are with your recent experience in the Trust. Staff on the wards and in our clinic areas are always really pleased to get feedback from patients who have used their services. We will pass on your comments to the staff involved in your care.

Wendyo73 gave at St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Removal of possible melanoma

I recently had a melanoma removed in this unit. Service was exemplary and all staff were polite, efficient and professional. As a nurse myself I was impressed with the level of care and attention I received.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 14 June 2018

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 18 June 2018

Thank you for your comments. We are always pleased to receive positive feedback about your experience and our staff. This recognises their hard work and dedication to ensure that you have a positive experience as a patient with us. Once again thank you for taking your time to inform us of your experience.

Aaa gave at St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Horrible.

I have been under the "care" of this department for 6 months, and I can honestly say it has been awful.
Receptionists are, with one exception rude, ignorant, miserable and surly.
Nurses are, with two exceptions exactly the same. BUT they are doing things like administering drops to numb the eye for procedures. I have had three procedures the drops were administerd correctly once. The other times were unbelievably unpleasant and painful. This inspite of my telli g them I could feel everything.
Th doctors seem to be under pressure to get patients in done and out asap.
I have never been seen on time, the waiting times are ridiculous and there seem to be regulars who get priority service.
I will ve making a formal complaint to the Trust and will be discharging myself after my final treatment. I will go elsewhere.
All in all not a nice place to be treated in. Not nice at all.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 14 May 2018

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 15 May 2018

We are very sorry to hear that the care you have received is not as you would have expected. If you would like to discuss the concerns you have raised further, could you please contact our PALS team on 0151 430 1376, where one of the team will be happy to discuss this with you.

Anonymous gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

My daughter recently spent three days / 2 nights on ward 4F after having Orthopaedic surgery. As a 14yr old this is quite difficult in itself as she is neither child nor adult.
The surgery went very well and I cannot thank the surgeon enough for his knowledge and skill to remedy my daughters injury.
The staff on ward 4F were just great and made both of us feel very welcomed and looked after. Special thanks have to go to the HCA, the staff nurse and the Sister who provided comfort and kindness when we needed it - in my opinion demonstrating compassion and consideration in the right quantities at the right time. I cannot thank them enough for making our stay tolerable and confident that the staff cared about my daughter.
Please ensure my feedback reaches these staff so they know just what a difference they make to their patients and families traumatic times.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 22 March 2018

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 27 March 2018

Caz gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care and attention

Visited day case surgery for injections in spine.
The staff are excellent there from the ward to the porters and the theatre staff and recovery. Also the lovely Doc.
The care and attention was outstanding.
Well done everyone. You made my stay enjoyable and pleasant.
Thank you.
Regards
C Wilson-Briars

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 30 March 2018

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 03 April 2018

Keith b reviewed St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust

Had another camera

I would like to praise the colonscopy team at St helens hospital I went for bowel scope screening they made the procedure look very easy I mean they put me at my ease as I was scared after a camera down my throat in 2016 the team deserves praise as does all st helens and Whiston hospital they told jokes to make me feel at ease this is from a grateful patient they was patient when the procedure didn't take the first time and I think st helens hospital and this team deserves my thanks and praise

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 16 November 2017

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 17 November 2017

Mary Bancroft gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Recent hospital admission following visit to A&E

2 weeks ago l had to be taken by anbulance to Whiston A&E, the quality of the service recived from all the staff was excellent, l was later moved onto a ward where the care l received was better than l have in the past received in a Bupa private hopsital.

All the staff even down to the porters were caring and professional at all times.

Everything was Fab