St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust

0151 426 1600 Whiston Hospital, Warrington Road , Prescot, Merseyside, L35 5DR

Anonymous gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 3 stars

Recent Visit

I recently visited with my sister. She had been in a 6 car accident on M62 she was hit from behind at 50 mph. Her air bag deployed. She couldn't breathe properly and her whole chest is purple with bruises on left side she is only a small person. She was left standing for ages as receptionist didn't appear to know how to use computer system. I had to ask if she could sit down. They had no more questions just left her stood their while they figured out the computer. She was in with GP 2 minutes sent home to come back if breathing still bad in 2 days. No x ray no ultra sound done. Her chest is a mess. Not very impressed with the triage consultation and GP consult. She is still off work.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 12 July 2017

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 14 July 2017

Peter bielby gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Dermatology Department

I have recently visted st helens hospital for head surgery the staff at the hospital were amazing really helpful people I can't tha is the doctors and nurses enough for the great job they have done. Thank you again.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 29 August 2017

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 29 August 2017

Thank you for your very kind and positive comments. We are delighted that you found the services at St Helens Hospital met your expectations/. We are very proud of our Dermatology department and will pass on your feedback to our staff.

Anonymous gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service

I had a breast surgery last April and would like to thank the consultant, breast unit and Sanderson unit for their care and compassion. It has been an excellent service and thank you so much to the best NHS hospital in the northwest England providing excellent doctors , nurses and services for the community.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 13 July 2017

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 14 July 2017

We are always pleased to receive positive feedback about your experience and our staff. This recognises their hard work and dedication to ensure that you have a positive experience as a patient with us. We can assure you that your feedback has been sent to our dedicated staff on our Breast unit and Sanderson Suite so that your comments can be shared with the wider team.

Anonymous gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

care

My husband was admitted to ward 1B after having a brain scan. He was very confused and later that evening he packed his bag and walked through the door without being noticed. He wouldn't have known how to open it. He got 2 buses home and was about to knock on the door when the ward phoned. They had just realised he was missing it took them long enough. That's the trouble with the single rooms out of sight out of mind. I dread to think what might have happened if instinct hadn't brought him home. Thank goodness he was still dressed.
I can't praise the doctor enough who was on GPAU. The doctor was a lovely kind caring person.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 01 May 2017

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 02 May 2017

Please accept my most sincere apologies. We would like to assure you that your feedback and comments will be shared with Ward 1B to improve our patient experience in the future. We take all issues surrounding patient experience very seriously and we are extremely sorry that on this occasion your experience was not at the standard we would expect. Please contact our PALS team on 0151 430 1376 so that we can discuss this further with you.

Saxby reviewed St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust

Investigation for a Hernia which led to a Kidney being removed

Went to GP with soreness in belly button area, who sent me for an Ultra Sound. At consultation for results of Ultra Sound GP stated that Hernia repair necessary and arranged consultation with specialist. At specialist consultation operation for Hernia repair confirmed but consultant stated the a CT Scan should take place as an MoT to see if there were any other issues. Result of this was the discovery of a Cyst on right kidney which was thought to be cancerous. Second CT Scan with these results being sent to an Urology Specialist, who confirmed that the Cyst was 80% likely to be cancerous and recommended kidney removal within 30 days. Agreed to Operation which was carried out and was successful, with Hernia Repair being carried out at the same time..
Ultrasound carried out in October and Kidney Removal Operation carried out on March, with discovery of Cyst from CT Scan on in January.
All NHS Staff who were involved from GP, Specialist Consultants and other NHS staff, including District Nurses for post operative care, dealt with issue professionally and with the appropriate compassion.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 09 May 2017 using Care Opinion

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 12 May 2017

Thank you for your very positive comments. We are delighted that you found the services at our Hospital exceeded your expectations. We are very proud of our Surgical and Radiological departments and will pass on your feedback to our staff. Once again thank you for taking your time to inform us of your experience.

Leanne mannion gave at St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant staff

I cane straight up to 4b after my Gp sending me, the surgical team was there and I was admitted quick. They were brilliant in communicating with me , I was later sent to 4a and yet again the staff , hca and cleaners were all brilliant. I went for my operation the next day on the emergency list, I am terrified of theatre and being put to sleep but I needed not to worry as everyone was amazing at putting me at ease, even holding my hand as I went under general anaesthetic. The whole experience from every member of staff was 5 ✨✨✨✨✨. Thank you for being an all round support. Each member of staff is a credit to Whiston hospital

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 22 February 2017

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 22 February 2017

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted to hear that your experience of our Sergical department was positive. We are very proud of our Surgical team staff and will pass on your very kind and positive feedback to them. Once again thank you for taking your time to inform us of your experience.

Anonymous gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding care in the Emergency Dept.

We took our 2 year old daughter to Whiston ED today with a painful arm, after falling. We were so impressed with the care we recieved and with the excellent service! As soon as we arrived everyone was so professional and caring, from the reception staff, consultant, paediatric nurses, porters snd especially the very patient radiographers. Although they were very busy they waited patiently for my daughter to comply with having the x Ray taken. The consultant fully informed us of the fracture and of our daughters future management plan: fracture clinic. The paediatric nurses were just lovely with our daughter and clearly very caring. I had to then make a fracture clinic appointment with the reception staff snd they were efficient and professional. They were genuinely concerned for my daughter and it means so much to a concerned parent. Thank you to all involved and many congratulations to the ED as a whole. I would recommend this department to anyone.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 26 December 2016

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 27 December 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such positive feedback. We are very proud of the services we provide and the staff who care for our patients. We have shared your comments with the staff in the Emergency Department. Once again thank you for your comments.

Nanny6 gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service

Attended eye clinic this am ,in and out within 20 minutes fantastic, have attended this hospital on several occasions and always found staff excellent .Well done.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 06 December 2016

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 08 December 2016

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted to hear that your experience of our services was positive. We are very proud of our staff and will pass on your very kind and positive feedback to them. Once again thank you for taking your time to inform us of your experience.

carol gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 4 stars

Ward 5C

After my dad was admitted to the hospital on Sunday 8th May he was put onto a ward and then moved onto 5C

I have nothing but praise for this ward. Dad was well looked after he always received help with food drink and always dry. The charge nurse was only to glad to answer questions and give advice. Dad was discharged from the ward on Thursday morning, dad's new medication was already locked up in his locker ready on the Wednesday night. The nurse is a credit to the hospital as well as all the staff on the ward. It was very hard to leave dad after such a bad experience on the Sunday but this ward was outstanding

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 19 May 2016

St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 19 May 2016

We are always pleased to receive positive feedback about your experience and our staff. This recognises their hard work and dedication to ensure that you have a positive experience as a patient with us. We can assure you that your feedback has been sent to the team on Ward 5C so that your comments can be shared with the wider team.

Anonymous gave St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

What Should I expect?

I was not disappointed with the Hospital in terms of treatment, but rather with inadequate information on appointment letters...Having got up at 6pm. to have a quick breakfast; shave and shower and to leave in time to catch two buses from Runcorn for Whiston Hospital, in anticipation to have a melanoma removed from my face, I was extremely disapointed to find out that it was not the case, but rather a verbal explanation of what the Surgeon would do to remove the melonoma and possible side effects after the removal...precisely the same information that I had given to me in the printed form! for me it was a complete waste of my time and also the Surgeon's ....Surely when a patient receives the original appointment it should say what it is for, not to imply it is what you are expecting to have done...as a result I won't be going again and will put up with my condition as I have lost confidence in appointments...Henry Stephenson.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 10 March 2016