Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

01253 300000 Victoria Hospital, Whinney Heys Road , Blackpool, Lancashire, FY3 8NR

JW gave Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

A&E Friday Night

Hi,

Spent a few hours in A&E on Friday night with my son and staff were great - extremely caring and diligent on a busy shift. Some of the fellow patients can affectionately be described as 'characters'. Paramedic and ambulance staff marvellous too!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 07 August 2017

Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 August 2017

Thank you for your wonderful comments about the treatment you received in the Accident & Emergency department recently.
It is lovely to read that despite it being a very busy Friday night, that all of the staff were caring and diligent to you and your son's needs.
I will personally ensure that your kind feedback is shared with the teams and I am sure they will be happy to hear that you had a positive experience.
Thank you very much for your kind feedback.
Leanne Macefield
Patient Experience & Involvement Manager

Anonymous gave Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Thank you Saturday Delivery Suite Staff

I cannot thank the Delivery Suite staff for the quick, thorough and comprehensive treatment I received on Saturday 12 August. I am 16 weeks pregnant and had such severe abdominal pains while visiting Blackpool for the weekend, I had trouble walking. I went to Blackpool Victoria where I was seen by a health assistant, midwife and doctor who went to great lengths to seek out the source of the problem, carrying out several tests and monitoring me and my unborn baby. A lovely midwife, whose name I believe I can't mention on here, gave an extremely detailed and professional explanation for what could have caused my condition, which will prove crucial to how i take care of my health throughout this pregnancy. I cannot thank the staff here enough for their professionalism, advice and reassurance.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 12 August 2017

Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 29 August 2017

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your positive experience on the Delivery Suite. I hope that you are recovering well.
I will make sure that your kind comments are passed on to the team on the Delivery Suite, who I am sure will be delighted to hear that their professionalism, understanding and patience helped put you at ease and ensured that your stay was as comfortable as possible.
I wish you all the very best for the future.
Leanne Macefield
Patient Experience & Involvement Manager

Frank Booth gave Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Intravenous Therapy Services

I use the IV Therapy Services twice every day, it keeps me out of hospital and must same the Trust tens of thousands of pounds annually in my care alone. I believe that it costs around £400 per day bed occupancy therefore anything that keeps me at home is great for the Trust and ME.
Over time I have had regular problems with the fitting and use of canulae either for giving infusions or simply taking bloods leaving my arms (veins) quite damaged.
The IV Therapy staff firstly suggested a device called mid-line which when inserted in the clinic can last for around a month and I found this quite painless. The thoughts could be a bit scary thought. I was well reassured.
The time came earlier in this week that after more discussions and consent advice given was to change to a PICC line. A more invasive tube but as blood can normally be taken from this it means that there will be little need to have more needs. The device should last around a year or so.
It all sounded a little daunting,more so than the mid-line but when I went to the hospital site to have it done I met both a medical consultant and a familiar face from the IV Team. Most reassuring.
It's not the easiest of procedures for anyone to go through but I was supported to a degree of excellence. Where anything didn't work, they found a solution. There was little or no pain, local anaesthetic was successful. I was seen that evening in clinic and everything double checked, my general health is anything but good and I was tired after the event but everyone did everything to support me. As the next couple of days passed I am fully back in charge of my own health, thanks to the IV Therapy Team from their lead to all of the highly specialised staff I feel able to suggested to anyone That needs this team in the Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre area be assured that you are safe, will be well cared for and if your health needs demand higher levels of Intravenous Therapy you will be in the right place to receive it.
The Team manage my concurrent care with heart failure matrons and consultants ensuring that nothing escapes them that they keep me as well as possible for as long as possible and importantly for me, OUT OF HOSPITAL. Hospitals are great and absolutely necessary but home is still best.
Thank you is to little a word to show appreciation.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 17 August 2017

Lead in Patient Experience & Engagement, Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 September 2017

Thank you Frank for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience of care and treatment at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals.
I agree that it is important that we are able to support you to remain in your own home as this is best. It is also wonderful to read that you felt reassured by the team when you had a PICC line inserted which must have been daunting for you.
I will share your experiences with the teams involved as I know that they will be appreciative of receiving this positive feedback.
Thank you once more Frank and I wish you continued wellbeing and warm wishes.
Take care

Joan gave Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Could not get better treatment than I received

I arived at A&E on Sunday 30 July 2017 not being able to breathe ,sweating and a pounding heart. With in 4 hours I had bloods x ray taken and told I was staying taken to ward then scans and monitord the next day. I was in hospital for 2 weeks and I can honestly say the the staff on all the wards that I was on were wonderful from the clearners right through to doctors all were caring .
Just one thing I do find that the parking is a worry everyone who wanted to visit all ask about the parking and how much it was. I do find that the fees are very over the top. My husband came to see me every other day and still spent a fortune. I would ask that it would be reviewed. It is stressful enough coming into hospital and having to worry if we have money on us to pay.
When you're not well things like parking and fees are the last thing you want to worry about it just makes things more stressful, others have said the same it is a big issue with most people, also the nurse's should be able to park for free they seem to be stressed by it too.
Thank you all staff on the heart wards and ward 5 respiratory very grateful to you for making life easier

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 18 August 2017

Thank you Joan for taking the time to tell me about your recent experience. It is wonderful to read that you found the care and treatment you received from all the staff at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals that you encountered to be wonderful.
I agree that coming into hospital can be a stressful time and parking can also add to this. The new Multi story car park has helped with the worry of parking and whilst the car parking charges we have are in line with other NHS providers appreciate that this is a further worry.
I will share your positive comments and suggestions with all the teams involved.
I hope your recovery has continues

Mary gave Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

DVT Clinic

Today I had to vist the DVT clinic and was very appresive when I went in but was soon put at ease by the lovely kind caring staff.
I also went for a scan on my leg and yet again treated with respect and kindness.
I was given the good news that I did not have blood clot so that made my vist even better.
Thank you once again BVH for another job well done.
Mary Pauline Avery.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 08 June 2017

Lead in Patient Experience & Engagement, Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 June 2017

Dear Mary
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience following your visit to the DVT clinic at The Blackpool Teaching Hospital. It is great to read that you found staff to be caring and that you were treated with respect. These are values we are extremely proud to have as an organisation.
I am pleased that your news was good and I wish you well.

Anonymous reviewed Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Ward 24

I visited ward 24 last night as my mother was to be transferred to a respiratory ward and was told this was one. Went on this ward to find an elderly woman crawling on the floor on her hands and needs she said it was because the staff wouldn't help her. I brought it to the staffs attention who walked to the elderly lady and in an unfriendly manner told her to get up off the floor unaided the elderly lady replied she couldn't without help so the nurse gave her a begrudge hand. I was very upset and angry as not only was I lied to that this was a respiratory ward but that they could even contemplate putting my mother who is severely ill on such an uncaring ward.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 14 May 2017

Lead in Patient Experience & Engagement, Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent contact with us. From the information you have provided I am sorry that you witnessed the care and treatment you have described as this is not a standard we would expect. I am also sorry that you were misdirected to ward 24, which previously was a respiratory ward. I will share the concerns you have raised with the teams involved however if you feel it appropriate and so that we can get further details about what has happened and ensure that your concerns are fully investigated please can you contact our Patient Relations team directly on;
Andrew

Anonymous gave at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

Time and patience

All the doctors and nurses even though run of their feet and healthcare assistance people. also x-Ray dept, and the volunteers who provided lunches, and the person who took the tea trolley around.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 16 May 2017

Lead in Patient Experience & Engagement, Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your observation following your contact with the organisation. I will share this observation and thank you for your appreciation of the challenges that our staff face when meeting patient care.

Anonymous reviewed Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

undecided

Was seen almost immediately when my optician was concerned about optic nerve when they looked at pic of back of my eye. Saw opthalmologist at eye clinc who did usual tests. They thought I may have had a mild stroke in my eye. Asked me to go back today for blood tests and further pics of back of my eye. Blood tests were done so went to see about pics. After several phone calls it appears no one was available to do them. I now have to wait for an appointment through the post. My husband has had to pay for taxis two days running. As he is unemployed it is a lot to pay out.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 13 April 2017

Lead in Patient Experience & Engagement, Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experiences whist accessing our services.
I am sorry that we were not able to take additional pictures of your eye on the same day that you attended for blood tests.
If you feel it appropriate and so that we can get further details about what has happened and ensure that your concerns are fully investigated please can you contact our Patient Relations team directly on:
patient.relations@bfwhospitals.nhs.uk

wast of time gave Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

wast off time

Not been able to walk for 10 week been to a and e 5 times.my doctor told me I need a cat scan.they told my blood and had to much lactic acid? It will go away in a month.a month later went back to my doctor ask why I didn't have cat scan I said it was lactic acid.told my blood agent no lactic acid there? Went to Preston hospital got MRI scan on neck doctor phone up next went for a emergency operation on my neck nerve trapped.Blackpool Vic was not listening to me pushing me away every time I went there I started thinking it was in my head I felt I was just a number unwelcome The Receptionist is very rude.I will not use Blackpool Vic agen.You don't have you use the hospital where you live you can go to any.Blackpool Vic only good breaks (arm leg or nose) any thing else they will wast your time and then send you to Preston.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 03 May 2017

Lead in Patient Experience & Engagement, Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with feedback regarding your recent experiences at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals. I am sorry that we have not been able to meet your expectations.

Julie hladchenko reviewed Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Excellent care

Phoned 111within 10 phoned with an appointment for 30 mind later. Seen by a nurse practitioner who was really kind. Antibiotics prescribed. Excellent care and quick

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 08 April 2017

Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.