Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

01302 366666 Doncaster Royal Infirmary, Armthorpe Road , Doncaster, DN2 5LT

Anonymous gave Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Unable to change/cancel appointment for elderly parent

My elderly mother is currently having treatment for macular degeneration of both eyes at the Ophthalmic Department Bassetlaw Hospital as she relies on myself for transport and I work in the afternoon we are unable to attend some of the later appointments and so I have been ringing the telephone number(s) given on the letter sent from Ophthalmic Department at Doncaster Royal Infirmary. The telephone number given for the Co-ordinator goes straight to answerphone I have left at least 6 messages for this person to return my call and they have yet to do this. I have spoken to other staff but yet to speak to anyone who is able to change the appointments or rearrange new ones as I am told "they cannot change appointments for eye injections" and so I have spent literally hours on the telephone being passed around to different departments and hospitals. My mum had another appointment for which she was unable to attend through illness so I rang to let the Ophthalmic Department know as I do appreciate how important it is that NHS time is not wasted and how important my mothers treatment is but then went through the same scenario as above. The Co-ordinator needs to

A Answer the telephone
B Return messages left on the telephone
C If they are on holiday leave a forwarding message and telephone number for someone
else to deal with any cancelled appointments etc
I do understand the pressures of workload but this is simple administration unprofessional and at least lacking in common curtesy. I really don't want to complain but feel this problem needs addressing for others as well as for my Mother.

This is not a reflection on the Ophthalmic Consultant their secretary or any of the nursing staff they have been very good.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 29 August 2017

Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Gkn43 gave Restorative dentistry at Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic Levels of Care.

I've been attending this clinic for around 9 years for various treatments and consultatations. The staff are always lovely and apps are generally on time.its always clean and tidy. Without this clinic I'd have to travel a lot further for the same treatments.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 03 August 2017

Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anna gave Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Absolutely big joke

I could read not ending story how they treat my 7 month old son, 6 times poorly with bronchitis. Feel like I know more then half of this doctors there. Finnely after me kicking off I got my antybiotics and my son no more suffer. Everythink stop in 5 days

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 17 May 2017

Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

The are recieved from the moment of arrival was amazing

My 4 year old son was brought in by ambulance on Saturday 27th May. The ambulance team have had a thank sent to them personally.
From the triage nurse to the ward nurse and doctors, the care received has been outstanding.

I want to thank the nurse in the urgent care department because although the nurse was going to send my son home with antibiotics, didnt. The nurse was amazing with my son. Got their collegue in for a second opinion and both members of staff listened to the mothers opinion. I believe this is an outstanding trait! We, as a mother, know when our children aren't right.

I do have HCA experience at the hospital. Had already done my sons observations at home with my limited resourses and was worried about his breathing and tracheal tug.

The nurses got my son up to the childrens observations ward.

The nurses which saw to him were amazing. The doctors were amazing, and i cannot fault the level of care he received. It turned out after an xray, my son has pneumonia.

Thankfully after a stressful first night on oxygen and no sleep for mummy, and a second observation night, and a course of antibiotics, were are finally home.

Once again, it was a bank holiday weekend and, i myself know from personal experience of working in A&E and on wards, how this time can be stressful but it never showed if they were. They were amazing and an absolute credit to the trust. Thankyou so much!!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 29 May 2017

Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

bernard gryzelka gave Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

credit to NHS

I was pre assessed on 28th February for my operation which was to take place on 1st march.
everyone that I was in contact with were a credit to their profession from the assessment nurse to blood test department and ECG unit.
I was admitted to the orthopedic/ theater ward on 1st march 7-30am for my operation on my elbow.
from arriving until discharge I was kept well informed felt at ease, all the staff were exceptional.
from receptionist to ward personnel to theater staff they were all very professional and a credit to DRI and the NHS.

thank you all.
Mr B Gryzelka

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 02 March 2017

Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 07 March 2017

Hi Bernard, Thanks for taking the time to leave this feedback - it's great to hear that you were pleased with your care! We'll make sure we pass this onto the staff in the relevant departments. We'd love to feature your comments on our website and social media pages to celebrate the fantastic work that our staff do every day. If you'd be happy for us to include your comments please email communicationsandengagement@dbh.nhs.uk.

Andrea gave Services of a dental hygienist at Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Scoliosis decision incorrect diagnosis by unqualified nurse

I went to your orthopaedic department one more than one occasion about my scoliosis getting worse. Yo my amazement I was told there's nothing wrong. This is funny because 5 years previously I had to have my chest reconstructed due to severe pectus excavatum which is part of scoliosis at Manchester royal infermaty. Followed by breast reconstruction as a result.

The x ray was done lay down and told to lay on my front and stretch my arms above my head which impacted seriously on the images. A scoliosis x ray should be done stood up to show it's true curve.

As it is now the person told me that they are not a qualified clinition or consultant. My ribs are twisted and jut out on one side. My shoulder blades are twisted making it impossible to wear a bra and cardigans are impossible to wear. I have a disfigured arm which I need to keep covered up. I have confidence issues and lots of pain which I was told is ok we will send you to physiotherapary

Physiotherapary cannot change a twisted spine. I am not happy at all. As it is now I need to see someone else as a result and there's no further contact from the orthopaedic department

Disgusting. It's horrible living with this condition. I have been treated inappropriately. Will not recommend to anyone

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 05 June 2017

Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Restorative dentistry at Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

children ward

My son is in with bronclites he 15 weeks old the trement here is nothing but poor. when his sats montor gose in red there dont even come check it, there leave it beeping. my son has been here since thursday and still here i have not slept for foyr nights due to him being ill so now with him pucking.up.i aske nurses in children ward if i could go home tonight there said no as my son has cleft plater and has to have sol bottle to feed on but the nurses up here are not trained there told me to be able to feed him why are there not trained it even means i can not go home in the day as there cant feed him becouse he has to have spl bottle so i got to stay in dirty clothes if i didnt have any one to bring me some but lucky i get them brought in i m not happy way i get treted and being told as if i m child i got to stay becoyse there cant feed him.if he going be in longer i will be geting him trasfer to sheffiled children where the staft lets you go home my gp sent ys to doncaster becoyse we.live here but tomarrow as my son under sheffiled children for other ression i will be aski ng the to tranfer him to sheffiled children where he had to stay for three days last week in choldrens and the staft there were great and let me go home for some sleep and there fed him from spl bottle sheffiled did but doncaster not trained to feed him from it well from now on i will tracel to sheffiled childrens for any resion he got to go in again as nurse dont have the right at doncaster telling me i cant go home at all becouse there not trained to feed him from his bottle i m not child i have rights to go home but becouse nurses told me there not trained to give him milk from his spl bottle as there not trained to i put compline in about this lets see what excuess there come back with tomarrow i will be asking his hosptail dr at doncaster to tranfefer him to sheffield least. i had to pay somone who i know to have my three other children becoyse nurses say s i cant go home as there not trained to feed my son from his spl bottle so tomarrpw i be asking if there can move him to sheffileds children

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 04 December 2016

Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 February 2017

Hi,

We're sorry you've had a bad experience at the hospital but we appreciate you taking the time to leave your thoughts here. We'll pass your feedback onto the relevant team so that this can be looked into. If you'd like to speak to someone about your experience you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01302 642765.

Thanks
Amy

contactin DRI

I have been trying to contact DRI for over three quarters of an hour and still no answer!

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 28 October 2016

Hi, we're sorry you had trouble contacting the hospital but appreciate you taking the time to leave us some feedback. Our switchboard receive a high volume of calls every day and this can cause answering delays. If you need to contact the hospital again and know which department you need to speak to, there is a list of direct dial numbers available on our website here: http://www.dbh.nhs.uk/Library/Corporate_pdf_Documents/Contact%20Numbers%20for%20DBH%20website%20-%20updated%204%20October%202016.pdf
Thanks
Amy

Morgan gave Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Why not write a review after being sat 40min after appt time

It's now 55 min since we arrived and 45 min since our appt time. No one has been to apologise or update us on when, if ever, we will get seen. We are aware of the busy nature of the hospital department (early pregnancy) but at least make us aware of the ridiculous time we are going to be waiting. Although this extra time allows us to fill out reviews of the invisibility of staff and pointlessness of appointment times. Will update when we get seen, unless we've given up and walk out.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 07 October 2016

Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave at Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

For the most part, the elderly are ignored

My father who was elderly and dying of cancer was admitted to ward 24 supposedly to leave the following day. He ended up stuck there for 8 days for the most part being ignored by the nurses, as were several other elderly patients on the ward. They were sharing their rooms with several "junkies" suffering from withdrawal symptoms or going through detox who often got violent demanding constant supervision from nurses to the point where other patients were constantly overlooked. The violence and/or intimidating behavior clearly frightened the elderly and deprived them of much needed rest. One night many patients had to be locked in a room for their own safety whilst one of these addicts raged and was eventually pinned to the floor and restrained by security. My father and another elderly gentleman, both on special diets were given the wrong food for days until we complained, and was not allowed out of their beds to stretch their legs or go to the toilet instead encouraged to use bedpans and urinals. My father who was relatively happy and active prior to his admission suffered a rapid deterioration of his condition such that he could barely walk, was severely dehydrated, had lost a considerable amount of weight, and was intensely depressed by the time we eventually got him out 8 days later. His discharge was delayed due to oversight with discharge paperwork we were eventually told, and it turned out that 2 other elderly gentleman in his room had discharge delays due to similar errors causing them considerable anxiety too. Why are drug addicts even placed with these gentlemen? Why should addicts be given more care such that other patients suffer? Why are there (apparently) no specialist facilities and nurses at DRI for addicts so that they are not mixed with other patients threatening violence, intimidating and being aggressive around vulnerable elderly patients requiring delicate care, rest and recuperation? DRI used to be so much better but after this experience, I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 26 October 2016