Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

01202 665511 Longfleet Road , Poole, Dorset, BH15 2JB

Angie.h gave Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

A & E and Ansty Ward

I was totally impressed by my recent care in A and E and especially Ansty ward. The care and consideration I recieved from the staff from the tea staff to the Consltant was empathetic, kind and considerate. Almost all staff asked me my name and introduced themselves with a handshake included by senior staff. I was kept informed about the process and all my questions were answered. I saw everybody needed to assess and deliver my care needs including nurses, consultant, cardiac specialist, diabetic nurse and pharmacist. My faith in mankind was restored.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 09 June 2017

Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 June 2017

Dear Angie

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to pass on your praise for the staff who treated you at Poole Hospital recently. I have passed your lovely comments on to the staff in ED and Ansty Ward and asked them to share them with the other staff. It really does mean a lot to them to receive such positive feedback.

I hope very much that you are now making a good recovery following your stay with us.

All best wishes,

Apalling service

Absolutely shocking service. Surgery was necessary on that very day but the hospital delayed it for 5 days and made me feel very agitated. When surgery did occur it went quite well but they had no care for any previous personal commitments and forced me to attend many unnecessary appointments. As well as this, due to the fact that they postponed my surgery I am no longer able to attend a amazing opportunity all because of this stone-hearted hospital. No way on earth will I be recommending this hospital and I am appalled they think this kind of behaviour is acceptable! I will not be attending this hospital anymore with immediate effect.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 29 April 2017

Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 May 2017

I am very sorry to hear that your surgery was delayed and that this clearly caused disruption to other arrangements you had in place.

If you would like to discuss your concerns with one of our Patient Experience Team, please telephone 01202 448638 or email PALS@poole.nhs.uk.

I hope you make a speedy recovery from your surgery.

Anonymous gave Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Treatment of my 16 month old with breathing difficulties

The nuses and doctors who were involved with my sons care from a&e to the senior doctor at the end of our stay were all exceptional. The hospital was extremely busy and over stretched which meant a long wait but this did not affect the care he received and the effort made by everyone involved.
The nurses were all lovely and made me feel more at ease.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 23 March 2017

Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 March 2017

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to post your feedback. I wlll pass this on to the staff in A&E and Child Health.

I hope that your little boy is now very much better.

Pharmacy

This department needs managing - staff are more than capable of moving faster than they do. Sat for over an hour more than once and watch 3 4 members of team doing the same checking. Why does it take so many individuals to do the same job. Surely this should be a maximum of two. It is expected that the department is going to be busy surely more staff and reorganisation would benefit all. Waiting time should not be so long.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 01 February 2017

Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your views with us. I am very sorry that you had such a long wait for your prescription. A wait of more than an hour is certainly much longer than we aim to achieve with our current staffing levels. Our priority is to provide the safest service that we can alongside reasonable waiting times. We would not have 3-4 people around a single prescription for the final check so it is very unlikely that all individuals were looking at the same prescription.

Clearly without knowing more details, we cannot be sure but our Principal Pharmacist suggests that it is entirely possible that a speciality pharmacist may have been called in to provide advice on a particular prescription, as is sometimes necessary, rather than simply checking the dispensing of a prescription.

There would not normally be more than two people checking the same prescription. However, over the past two weeks we have had staff from a new Lloyds pharmacy shadowing our team to learn the processes and types of prescriptions handled by the department. This is because we have a new Lloyds outpatient pharmacy opening within our entrance dome on 20 February. The aim or this additional facility is to provide the highest service standards possible and shorter waiting times for patients.

Again, we apologise for your lengthy wait. If you wish to discuss your concerns confidentially with one of our Patient Experience Facilitators, please either email PALS@poole.nhs.uk or telephone 01202 448499.

Patient Experience Team, Poole Hospital

Anonymous reviewed Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Terrible a and e care of the elderly

My mother who is 91 and has cancer was taken to a and e by ambulance on Saturday 14/05/16, after a long time my mother had a chest xray,she had blood tests and blood pressure monitoring, a while later a doctor told me they could find nothing wrong ! Later still a nurse asked me if I could take her home, what, she cannot walk, has swollen legs and arms, and is clearly dying. They said transport would be arranged, my nephew decided him and his wife would come and get her, when they got there they had decided to admit her, strange as there was nothing wrong with her ? I asked a doctor, how do you know how far the cancer has spread, the reply was 'well we don't, unless we do a scan, which we won't, because we won't treat her' outrageous ! We left my mother in the incapable hands of the nursing staff overnight. At 10.30 the next day I got a call from a registrar who seemed to be a bit annoyed as they said my mother was dying, as I knew, they said if she had been sent home it would have been catastrophic, she died at 7pm on Sunday 15/05/16, Shame on you Poole hospital for the abysmal care that you show the old folk of Poole town who have contributed all their lives.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 16 May 2016

Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 17 May 2016

I am extremely sorry to hear of the death of your mother and of your account of her lack of care in A&E on the day before she passed away. I would very much like to ask the senior medical staff in A&E to investigate what went wrong in your mother's case, if you would permit me. This is certainly a very long way from the standard of care that we would normally offer patients. Even when the department is extremely busy, which it frequently is, we would not send such a poorly patient back home.

Please would you call the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at Poole Hospital on 01202 448499 so that I can take the your mother's details to instigate an investigation?

Please accept my sincere condolences on your loss.

PALS Lead, Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Terrible

My elderly mother was admitted to Ansty ward one week ago following a temperature and fall.
After 48 hours she was moved to a side room for barrier nursing because she had been a patient at RBH in December and they have possible CPE. Staff took a swab but stated microbiology lost it so she had to be re swabbed.
She was assessed by the therapy team as being safe to mobilise alone but fell when left alone on the commode whilst the nurse went to do another task with another patient.
Nursing care was extremely varied depending on who was on the shift. Some staff did not help her fit her hearing aids or her teeth thus making it hard for her to communicate and eat. Food and fluids were left on the table in front of her and she was not helped with them. We helped her and put up signs in her room to remind the staff.
Because my mother was in a room alone with the door closed the staff did not check on her regularly enough. However they were often sat at nurse’s station talking. The ward is not dementia or memory loss friendly and some of the staff do not seem to know the basics of working with elderly frail patients - dignity, respect, kindness, re assurance, company. They did not think to prompt my mother regarding fluids and food but treated her the same as other patients on the ward. They never even seemed to help her comb her hair.
Today was the final straw. I received a call from one of the nurses to say my mother was refusing her medication. When I arrived (at 11.30am) a large group of nurses were sat round the nurse's station talking. My mother was still in her night clothes despite me leaving her day clothes and no one had helped her wash and dress or eat her breakfast - it was still on the table in front of her. Her call button was nowhere near her so as the door was closed no one would have heard her if she needed something. I asked the nurse why she was still liked this and they replied they didn’t know.
I told the nurse I was not surprised my mother had refused her tablets as they hadn't helped her put her hearing aids in so she probably couldn't hear or understand what they were talking about and it would be challenging for anyone let alone an 88 year old to swallow 9 tablets one after the other. The doctor had written all the tablets up for the same time.
A few of the nurses were wonderful but mostly they seemed to struggle to understand or provide basic nursing care - communicating and ensuring people have their needs met. I don't know what would have happened to my mother if I hadn't spent the amount of time I did there. I feel extremely sorry and worried for other older or sick people who don't have an advocate. I heard a man calling for help yesterday who was also in a side room with the door shut and I had to tell the staff. Only the physio went to him, the nurses just looked indifferent.
Its very sad, obviously nothing was learnt from the Francis Report.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 30 January 2016

Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 February 2016

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your experience on Ansty ward. This has already been escalated to the senior team and will be reviewed. We welcome the opportunity to talk this through with you.

Kellianne George
Patient Advice and Liaison service Lead

Anonymous gave at Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Want to thank paramedics

My 5 week old daughter was brought in via ambulance December last year and I have been trying to find a way to thank the two wonderful paramedics who looked after us at home and on the way to hospital. If anyone can help me with this, I would be extremely grateful.

My daughter was monitored in a&e due to breathing difficulties caused by bronchiolitis and the staff were fantastic, I cannot fault them, they put me very much at ease and were thorough in their care of my baby daughter. At a time when I was extremely frightened about her wellbeing.

Huge thanks to all involved and again please please let me know how I can find out the names of the paramedics who brought us in.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 28 October 2015

Poole Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.