United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

01522 512512 Trust Headquarters, Lincoln County Hospital, Greetwell Road , Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN2 4AX

Anonymous reviewed United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Lincoln A+E

I attended Lincoln A+E at 4am on 13.10.2017 with pain in chest, left arm, side and shoulder blade. There was a long wait but that’s to be expected. I was given painkillers on arrival. When I finally saw a doctor, they didn’t examine me and didn’t listen to me. The doctor sent me for X-rays of the wrong part of my body. Unsurprisingly, they couldn’t see what was wrong with me and told me to go to my GP. What a sad waste of NHS resources - paying the doctor and taking the wrong X-rays.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 16 October 2017

United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 18 October 2017

I am so sorry to hear of your negative experiences whilst visiting Lincoln County Hospital.
The events you describe do not demonstrate the levels of compassionate, high quality care we expect our staff to provide.
I would be grateful if you would contact me via the PALS Team ([pals@ulh.nhs.uk](mailto:pals@ulh.nhs.uk) or 01522 707071) as, without your details, I am unable to investigate further. It would help if you could quote reference CO402667 when you get in touch.
Dr Meg Kelly
Consultant in Emergency Medicine

carolec reviewed United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

best hospital ive been to

todau i had an appointment at lincoln hospital and from recieving 1st letter for mri and calsium score i have been so worried from getting there to what happens, i rang the tasl for patient tranport as was suggested and from this morning, from a fantastic driver picking me up and making m so at ease and not nervous about journey ( i dont do well travelling with strangers), to getting to my appointment early, i was seen to early. The staff were so kind and explained everything that was happening, kept checking i myself was ok with everything,made sur ei was comfortable, afterwards helped me to relax, make sure i was fine for travelling home the hospital and ward was so clean and tidy, best i have seen in any for quite a while. All the staff polite, cheerfull, helpfull and a joy to be beside. lovely drive home and i would give everything through out the day 10 out of 10. maybe a bit far to travel but i am definately saying it was worth it and would say yes if my dr wanted to send me back

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 12 September 2017

United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 18 September 2017

Dear Carolec,
Thank you on behalf of the team in Lincoln MRI for taking the time to post your comments via the NHS Choices website.
I am glad we were able to help to make your experience a positive one and I will make sure to pass on your comments to the staff who were on duty.
John Noble
Supt Radiographer (MRI)

MJT gave United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Bowel Cancer - Grantham v Lincoln

Further to my post on 9th September 2017. It’s now 9th October.
My operation to remove a cancerous growth from my bowel was undertaken only two weeks ago on 25th September at Grantham hospital. Yes, I had to accept an appointment in Grantham as at Lincoln I could have had to wait until November or later.
However, I am so pleased I accepted Grantham. The operation was carried out using laparoscopic surgery and the immediate aftercare in the Acute Care Unit (ACU) was tremendous despite the staff being stretched to the limit on several occasions. In fact all the staff at the hospital were brilliant.
On the third day I was moved to Ward 2 and from there made such good progress that I was discharged on the Sunday – only six days after the operation.
Ward 2 staff were kind, considerate and yes again they were over stretched but were still able to help me to a speedy recovery. My special thanks must go to the nurse who spotted a potential problem with my water works and dealt with it in such a professional and speedy manner.
Back at home I am progressing well and last Wednesday I was told that the Cancer had not spread into any other areas of my body so no further procedures are required. It was such a relief to hear this good news.
The district nurses continue to attend to my current needs and apart from ongoing problems with my waterworks everything appears to be on the up.
So, on reflection, Grantham was the place to be. The worst part of attending Grantham was the hours journey back home on the very bumpy roads of Lincolnshire!!!!!
So a big thank you to the surgeons and all the staff involved my operation and recovery.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 09 October 2017

Julie Record, Sister, Grantham Ward 2, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 11 October 2017

Dear M**,
Thank you for your comments – and I am so pleased you have had the news that you the cancer has not spread.
It lifts staff morale when they hear these stories, as we are stretched but the proof that we are still giving quality care, is fab to hear, especially for me as the ward manager.
I will get your notes and give thanks to the nurse who sorted out your “waterworks” and will ensure your comments are put up on our “cloud” wall for all to see.
Thank you so much and take care and I hope you will be feeling 100% very soon.
Julie Record
Ward 2 Sister

Anonymous gave General dental treatment at United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

I was referred to Lincoln Breast Clinic for the treatment of a post breastfeeding abscess. The care I have received so far has been fantastic. There is a welcoming feel within the department; it is clean and the staff acted in a very professional and caring manner. The doctor was excellent at communicating my course of treatment with me and made me feel at ease immediately. Thank you all so much for taking care of me. The excellent experience far exceeded my expectations.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

Patient Experience Support Officer, Patient Experience, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 24 August 2017

Thank you for this lovely kind feedback, which has been shared with the breast team at Lincoln County Hospital.
We are pleased that your episode of care was such a positive experience, we do try and ensure all our patients are treated in a professional, sympathetic and understanding way; it means a lot when someone takes the time to acknowledge those efforts.
Thank you again.
Chris Sharman,

Unhappy69 reviewed United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Text Charges

Please be aware that, despite being told on the first text there are no charges, this is incorrect. The text says: "Thinking about your Outpatient experience at United Lincs Hospitals NHS: How likely are you to recommend our service to friends and family if they needed similar care or treatment? 1 Extremely likely, 2 Likely, 3 Neither likely nor unlikely, 4 Unlikely, 5 Extremely unlikely, 6 Dont know. Reply today, your feedback is anonymous & important to us. Contrary to warnings that may appear on your phone ALL REPLIES ARE FREE. Reply STOP to opt out. Thank you."

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 10 August 2017 using Care Opinion

Sharon Kidd, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 14 August 2017

Dear Unhappy69,
I am sorry that you had had cause to complain about receiving a communication from our Trust regarding the Friends and Family Test survey and would like to thank you for raising this with us.
The NHS England’s Friends and Family Test (FFT) is mandated as part of the NHS contract for use throughout all areas of the NHS. This includes hospitals, GP surgeries, dentists etc. Along with all other general hospitals across the country, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust has to ask inpatients, emergency patients, women who use maternity services, outpatients and day case patients how likely they are to recommend the ward, Accident and Emergency Department, outpatient clinic or department to their friends and family based on their experience in the hospital—this question has a range of possible answers from 'Extremely likely' to 'Extremely unlikely'.
We ask the FFT question to all of our patients within 48 hours of using one of our services and as you can imagine this is a huge task with us seeing so many people which is why we had to move to an electronic automated system to collect this data.
With regards to the notification of a charge, patients who text 80870 **will not be charged anything**. Our system uses a free to end user short code. This warning is a message that may appear for some smartphone users who run Android operating system 4.2 and above. It is a generic message that comes up for all short codes and doesn’t differentiate between those that charge or those that are free. But please be assured your FFT responses are FREE.
If you would like me to opt you out of the receipt of any future FFT survey texts then please contact my assistant, [Christopher.sharman@ulh.nhs.uk](mailto:Christopher.sharman@ulh.nhs.uk) quoting reference CO388532 and we will opt you out immediately.
With best regards,
Sharon Kidd,
Patient Experience Manager

Tcorn reviewed United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Waiting at A&E

Arrived at A&E at 0100 on a weekday. Not many people in waiting room. Was told delay time in seeing doctor was 90 minutes. Persons got seen until I was next in line. Then took 35 minutes until I was called, 165 minutes after arrival! Nothing said while waiting of further delay. When I saw the doctor they were good. The service could be improved by giving updates.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 02 August 2017 using Care Opinion

Patient Experience Support Officer, Patient Experience, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 17 August 2017

Dear Tcorn,
We are sorry you had a lengthy wait in A&E.
Over the last few weeks the A&E departments at both Lincoln County and Pilgrim hospital have been exceptionally busy in line with other A&E departments both locally and nationally, this has unfortunately led to some long waits for our patients.
Our accident & emergency departments operate a system where the most seriously ill patients are seen first, some of whom have life threatening injuries or illnesses. This means that patients with less serious problems may have to wait longer.
Staff do their best to estimate how long you will have to wait, but the workload in the department is very unpredictable, and waiting times can change if seriously ill patients are brought in.
We do try to ensure patients are kept informed of any significant change in waiting times, and we apologise that, on this occasion, we failed to do that.
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.
Chris Sharman

Eva reviewed at United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Excellent

I arrived at M2 ward just before my 9am appointment. Even though there was a bit of a queue I used self check out and sat in the waiting room. Within 2min I was called to be weighed and blood pressure checked. I was seen by the doctor who was very caring and a goid listener I was narrating my troubles. However, I received the best treatment and waiting to see how it goes.

I would not thank them enough

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 16 July 2017

United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 07 August 2017

Dear Eva,
Thank you for sharing your positive experience, I will be delighted to feedback your comments to the team.
Michelle Caldwell
Ward Sister - Women’s Health 1B, Pilgrim Hospital

Nervous gave at United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Gynaecology department best care

I was very nervous and petrified of the procedure when i visited the gynaecology department on july 14th, but the doctor and cheperone of who i did not even notice their names because of being nervous, were very gentle and caring more esecially the doctor who was very reassuring kind and gentle and made me feel at ease.

Although I am still in early stages. I would definitely go back if my symptoms do not dissappear and would not be as nervous as I was on my previous visit.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 16 July 2017

Patient Experience Support Officer, Patient Experience, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 18 July 2017

Dear Nervous,
Thank you for this feedback.
It is good to hear that the team members who you saw where able to reassure you, and that your experience appears to have been a very positive one.
I would like to be able to share your comments directly with the doctor and other team members involved, but would need a little more information from you to be able to do this.
Would you mind e-mailing me directly at [Christopher.sharman@ulh.nhs.uk](mailto:Christopher.sharman@ulh.nhs.uk) with details of which of our hospitals you attended and, if you don't mind giving the information, your name and date of birth so I can identify exactly where you attended and who the team members were. It would help if you could quote reference CO381685 in your e-mail to me.
Chris Sharman,

Blacksykes reviewed United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Leaflets only available in standard sized font

Had broken ribs, good service but felt very let down by after care info leaflets only being available in small print when I need it in large print because I am registered partially sighted. I felt discriminated against & this should not be happening in this day & age.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 21 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Sharon Kidd, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 31 July 2017

Dear blacksykes
I am very sorry to receive your comments about the availability of leaflets in larger print. Unfortunately it is very difficult to be able to offer an explanation as to why these issues occurred as I am unsure of which hospital and department you attended.
The Trust is accredited with the Department of Health's The Information Standard which helps patient's to quickly identify reliable sources of quality evidence-based health and care information through an easily recognisable quality mark. Leaflets which show the kite mark have been through a vigorous process in the trust and are available in alternative formats upon request. The mark does not cover leaflets produced by outside organisations and currently not on our A&E advice cards but we are currently working towards this.![Image](https://www.careopinion.org.uk/resources/posting-images/responses/436aaba8c4854c439b5007b07730533f.jpg)
If you would like to get in touch with me with your details then I will be able investigate the case specifically. My email is patient.experience@ulh.nhs.uk
Regards
Sharon Kidd, Patient Experience Manager

phil whitmore gave United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

colonoscopy Diagnostic Examination

Today I went to Lincoln hospital for a colonoscopy it was a bit painfull but the staff was right there to hold my hand throughout.Every body was wonderfull very nice staff.The nurse who told me about the examination at end befor I went home was realy nice. many thanks to you All.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 25 July 2017

United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 26 July 2017

Dear Phil,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience from your recent visit to the Endoscopy unit at Lincoln County Hospital.
I will of course share your comments with the team on the Endoscopy unit.
Many thanks