South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust

01926 495321 Warwick Hospital, Lakin Road , Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34 5BW

Alex gave South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care on Squire ward

My nan spent the last few weeks on Squire ward, she passed away peacefully on Friday 06/10/17, the care she received was excellent she was cared for with such love and compassion even with the ward being extremely busy, special thank you to the nurse who cared for her over her time on Squire ward and her last couple of days.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 09 October 2017

South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback, it is useful and we will forward it on to the Squire Ward team. We are sorry to read about your nan's passing, please accept our condolences.

Madmom1 gave South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Superb care

Had to have a day procedure at Warwick Hospital today. All staff fantastic. Nursing staff professional and caring and the Doctor was amazing! The doctor took the time to explain everything, answered all my questions, and their care was exemplary. Thank you all at the Catheter Suite at Warwick Hospital. You made a stressful day so much easier.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 16 October 2017

South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 17 October 2017

Thank you for your feedback, we will pass it on to the team at the Catheter Suite. We are really pleased to read that you feel all of our staff were fantastic and provided exemplary care. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Lisa Kay gave South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Experiencing the NHS at it's Best and Worst

I was discharged from Warwick Hospital last Thursday after an 8 day stay due to a severe gall bladder infection. My care and treatment from the time I was attended by the Ambulance crew to the time of discharge was outstanding
The nursing team on Beaumont Ward, and My Consultant and their team were amazing. I was extremely poorly and as such needed almost round the clock care for 4 days, being in extreme pain and feverish was extremely frightening but the care and support I received whilst in their care was outstanding. This was the NHS at it's absolute best.
The worst that I refer to isn't down to the care I received nor really anything that I could have effected, but more about the system that allows elderly patients to have to take up beds unnecessarily despite there being nothing medically wrong with them. The ward was almost a holding bay for elderly people who needed the next step in their life care, maybe sheltered housing, maybe more help at home. The fact that this happens, and in my case there were 2 people on my ward who fitted this category, meant that the nursing staff had an added burden of having to attend to them despite them not being "ill" just maybe immobile and definitely in the wrong place.
Having a psychiatric patient on the ward gave them added stress and pressure, and for me it meant many nights with no sleep as a result of the other patients condition. this person should have been on a psychiatric ward, but again the staff were truly amazing in looking after them, but it took them away from looking after truly sick patients
I experienced people in there who were clearly not unwell, who thought they were ill and demanded drugs on an hourly basis (because their notes said they could) and once given drugs they would pop off to the shop or for a walk, this type of patient shouldn't be taking up a bed in hospital.
The day I was discharged the news was that the NHS would be facing a winter crisis for beds. This was sad as I could see in my ward alone 50% of the beds were unnecessarily taken up by patients who were trapped in the system, not needing hospital care but needing the comfort of sheltered housing, or the care from trained psychiatric nurses.
Saddest of all was seeing an elderly patient in the ward for a week with only 2 visits of 40 minutes, and being left to sit in her chair day in day out with no contact or stimulation form anyone, as the nurses were so busy they didn't have the luxury of time to sit with them.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 17 October 2017

South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 17 October 2017

Firstly, thank you for your comments; feedback, both positive and negative, is useful as we continually work to improve. We are really pleased to read that the treatment you received was outstanding hope you have now made a full recovery.

We acknowledge the wider challenges the NHS faces in caring for older, more vulnerable patients. We take every effort to discharge patients to a safe environment. If we don’t then there is a risk that the patient will suffer harm and be re-admitted or deteriorate - both of these outcomes only exacerbating the issue. We work closely with other agencies to improve discharge processes and also have created our Discharge to Assess model where we pay for nursing home placements for up to 6 weeks to help people home. But we agree that we should do more as a society to avoid unnecessary admission or discharge delays. Some of our patients sadly do not have the support of friends and family to visit and encourage them to mobilise. We have an amazing team of hospital Volunteers who can provide this service for some patients, but we are always on the look-out for more recruits.

TS gave South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Great outpatients department at Warwick

I only had a brief visit today but was so impressed with the service I received. The member of staff was wonderful and greeted me at the end of a long queue and just being acknowledged was lovely but the member of staff was funny and paying us compliments and immediately I stopped worrying about the queue. I was then called in to another waiting area by a second member of staff who was also very friendly and kind and the first member of staff was also there. They told us stories, looked after people who were struggling physically, gave directions to people, was there for the doctors when needed and there for the patients bringing us together. I mentioned this member of staff to my mum today and she remembers them too when she was in the hospital.

Also on arrival I wasn't sure where to go and in the main hospital was directed in a friendly and efficient manner by a volunteer.

The only thing for improvement is the parking as that proved a talking point amongst the patients!

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 17 October 2017

South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post these lovely comments, they will be passed on to the Outpatients team.

Janny27 gave South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Treated with kindness & respect by friendly staff.

Whilst on holiday in the area I had a fall injuring my ankle. My experience at Warwick hospital A & E from the time I spoke with the friendly receptionist until I was discharged was faultless. Yes there was a wait but perfectly acceptable, x-ray revealed a crack in my ankle, I was given advice regarding follow up with my local fracture unit even supplying me with the xrays on a CD and crutches. Thank you.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 18 October 2017

South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 October 2017

Thank you for sharing these comments, they will be passed on to the teams involved with your care.

Anonymous reviewed South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust

An efficient experience, for which we are grateful

A frightening urinary infection in May for my wife was dealt with in a most friendly and reassuring manner from start to finish following an early morning telephone call.
Paramedics and ambulance crew, to swift action in A & E, to holding room in A & E, to overnight stay for my wife in Lakin Ward.
Sadly I cannot mention individual members of staff, but that's ok as ALL of the staff we encountered were immaculately professional.

A recurrence of the infection led to a precautionary return visit in September.
Again, only praise from us.

Pity about the car parking charges, but that's the same wherever you go!

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 09 October 2017

South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your wife's experience. Your comments will be passed on to the teams involved with her care.

Anonymous gave South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

MacGregor Ward

My little boy went to A&E where he was admitted to the children's ward.
From A&E to the couple of days we spent on the ward we were treated with nothing but kindness, politeness and amazing patient care from all staff members. Nothing was too much trouble from them and they engaged with my son really well. They made a not so nice experience a really unstressful and calm experience. Massive thanks to all staff involved.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 08 September 2017

South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share this comment, it will be passed on to the team involved with your son's care.

Helen gave South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

A&E with my 5 year old with foot injury

My 5 year old injured her foot and after 12 hours of rest, inbuprofen and ice the swelling hadn't reduced so off to A&E at midday on a Monday lunchtime in the middle of the summer holidays. It was fairly busy, the receptionist was friendly and efficient. We were called through after about 15 minutes by a nurse who sent us through for an X-ray. The radiographer was very friendly and re assuring as my daughter had never had an X-ray before - they even allowed Jenny to see her pictures afterward. The same nurse called us back through, reviewed the films and talked us through the results. They spoke directly to Jenny so she understood then to me in more detail. No break just some ligament damage. All the staff were professional and friendly, meaning we could be seen, treated and discharged within 90 mins!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 August 2017

Thank you very much for sharing your daughter's experience. We hope she is recovering well.

anita gave South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

very friedly and efficient experiance

I visited the endoscopy unit on friday18th August, I found the staff very helpful , as i was very nervous but i need not have worried as the staff were so friendly and took time to explain what was happening.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 21 August 2017

South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 August 2017

Thank you for share this comment, your lovely words will be passed on to the Endoscopy team.

michele wilson gave at South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Lovely ward

I stayed here two weeks ago for a shoulder operation. The care was excellent even though the ward did appear to be a little short staffed.
The food was good and the ward was spotlessly clean. I was constantly monitored to make sure I was okay and the two physiotherapists arrived promptly to show me my exercises so I could go home.
I had a shoulder operation five years ago at this hospital but this recent experience was so much better than last time.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 12 September 2017

South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 September 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this comment. We hope you are recovering well.