Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

020 8510 5555 Homerton Row , London, Greater London, E9 6SR

Anonymous gave Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

My mother's colonoscopy

My mother had a colonoscopy procedure done at homerton recently and she said she's never ever experienced pain like the pain she felt during the procedure.. She was given no sedation and she felt every part of her being checked about. She said the pain was so excruciating that she felt like she was going to die. Unfortunately i was not there during the time but I'm sure as hell going to want explanation of why no sedation was offered and why she had to be awake the whole way through the process. I cannot believe no sedation was offered to an almost 80 year old woman. I'm disgusted.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 13 August 2017

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 August 2017

We are very sorry to hear about your mother’s poor experience of our colonoscopy service. Your comments have been passed to the service lead. If you have not already done so we hope you will contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) tel: 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email: PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk so that we can investigate further and give you an opportunity to discuss your concerns.

Anonymous gave Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Thoracic medicine outpatient appointment

I had a chest X-ray at your hospital on 4 8 17 at the request of my GP following discharge from the Homerton in May (pneumonia). After seeing the X-ray report, I was referred to the Thoracic Medicine Clinic. I received a letter from you dated 16 8 17 asking me to phone for an appointment. The booking clerk I spoke to (eventually) told me there were no available appointments within the six week waiting time guidelines. The clerk told me the referral would be forwarded to a service manager who would find me an appointment and would be in contact in 7-10 days. I waited, but heard nothing. I then received a letter from you dated 26 8 17 telling me that as I had failed to make contact with you, I had been discharged back to my GP. Obviously I phoned you straightaway and the booking clerk I spoke to this time told me exactly the same thing as I had been told the first time I phoned, ie, that they would "escalate" the request to a service manager, etc. I received a phone call from a service manager on 1 9 17 saying that they had received my letter and that I would be phoned back the following day. There has been no phone call or letter since and it is now 18 9 17. It is now well over the six week waiting time guidelines and I still do not even have an appointment date, let alone been seen in the clinic. I do not want to end up phoning Central Appointments a third time, only to be told exactly the same thing all over again by some booking clerk who sounds like they are reading from a rehearsed script. I am a 70 year old disabled pensioner, so who knows, I may not have the luxury of waiting until the middle of 2018 before I eventually get an appointment,. I have been attending the Homerton on and off ever since it was built and always rated it highly in the past, but I feel it has gone downhill in terms of patient care in recent times. Still waiting.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 18 September 2017

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 September 2017

We are very sorry to hear about your poor experience of our Outpatient booking service and the number of phone calls you have had to make and still not got an appointment date. We hope you will contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) tel: 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email: PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk so that we can investigate further and give you an opportunity to discuss your concerns.

M.Nasir gave Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Birthing Experience

We had a wonderful experience having our first child at Homerton Hospital. Antenatal, Birthing and Postnatal staff were all excellent. Very good birthing room facilities, clear and patient midwives and superb theatre staff. 10/10

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 15 February 2017

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 February 2017

Thank you for telling us about your positive experience of the care given by the maternity team. Your comments have been passed to the staff and they will be very pleased to have your feedback. Congratulations on the safe arrival of your new baby. If you have any further feedback, comment or query you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on tel. 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

By far the best hospital in the world!

I had a minor injury but the level of care and compassion towards me was far beyond expectations. I have been to many other hospitals in the country but homerton hospital put does them the quality the care was outstanding. I'm not one to right reviews but I had to mention. I'm very thankful and appreciate the hard work everyone puts in at the hospital even though it was busy and you can see the stress on the staff it didn't stop them smiling and making my experience a wonderful one. Thank you Homerton Hospital you guys are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 22 February 2017

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 07 March 2017

Thank you for telling us about your positive experience of our A&E department and the hospital. We are very pleased to hear that you had such good care from our staff. Your comments have been passed to the A&E staff who are always pleased to hear from their patients. If you have any further feedback, comment or query you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on tel. 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk

Excellent service

Excellent service. The doctors, nurses, reception staff on Tuke ward and the day case ward were excellent in every respect. On the two days I attended with my daughter I cannot fault the care my daughter was given. Credit also to the car park attendant for their assistance in finding me a car park space after I had been delayed by traffic and for the directions they gave me to get back to the motorway.
Overall a very impressive hospital and a credit to the NHS.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 14 February 2017

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 February 2017

Thank you for telling us about your positive experience of the care given on Tuke Ward and Day Case Unit for yourself and your daughter. We are also very pleased you were able to have parking space. Your comments have been sent to staff on Tuke ward and Day Stay Unit and to security who manage our parking service. They will be very pleased to have your feedback. If you have any further feedback, comment or query you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on tel. 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk

Amazing staff.

I have recently had to visit the Homerton and call the out of hours gp number. I am so grateful to everyone I have been in contact with there. From reception staff to gps, everyone is extremely professional, friendly and really good at making people feel at ease. I am extremely reluctant when it comes to visiting a hospital, but have been really made to feel comfortable and confident in the excellent care I have received. Very lucky to live in Hackney. Thank you.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 16 October 2016

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 31 October 2016

Thank you for telling us about your positive experience of the GP service. We are so pleased you were happy with the care and attention you received and have fed this back to the team. If you have any further feedback, comment or query you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on tel. 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk

gall bladder removal

Hi i found the staff all very helpful.Main reception which I cam to I found very efficient and poitite. The pre-operator staff were all professional. Who put my mind to rest. My only criticism of the process was that I arrived at 7am and was not see till gone 2pm, But I was not kept updated. The operation went smoothly ,and staff were attentive before and after the operation especially the anethestit. After the operation the member of staff had an excellent patient manner and was very supportive and is a credit to Homerton and the NHS.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 22 October 2016

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 31 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your positive experience of surgery at the Homerton. We are very sorry that you were not kept informed of any delays to your surgery. Your comments have been passed to the service. If you have any further feedback, comment or query you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on tel. 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk

steve gave Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Patient transport

I was informed that I could assist my parent on the day of their discharge. The time of the patient transport to take us home was booked for 11am. Three and a half hours later, we were still waiting ! My parent was getting very upset, and I was getting rather annoyed about the lack of communication when I asked if there was any news about how much longer we are going to wait. By this time, ,I was informed that the patient transport was not actually part of the NHS, but out to tender from a private company. When quizzed about this, regarding about keeping to the booking times, I was told that it was just a matter of waiting until someone turns up !!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 23 April 2016

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 April 2016

We are very sorry to hear about your experience of the transport service. Your feedback has been passed to the transport team. We would like to understand more about what happened on this occasion so that we can give you a full explanation and aim to resolve the issues you have raised concerning your care and treatment. We hope you will contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) tel: 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email: PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk so that we can investigate further and give you an opportunity to discuss your concerns.

Constance Slattery gave Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Switchboard

It is so encouraging to be able to call a hospital and get such a quick response! A real person answering phones! No mechanical voices droning on about "www dot" or "choose from the menu-6 options"....I was put straight through to Intensive Care.....and able to speak to the nurse who was caring for my relative-so"Well Done" Homerton Hospital for keeping it simple and quick!

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 06 February 2016

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 February 2016

Thank you very much for telling us about the very good and quick response you had from our switchboard and from ITU. We have passed your feedback onto the switchboard team and to ITU. If you have any further feedback, comment or query you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on tel. 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk

Tracy gave at Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Anxiety levels raised due to lack of communication

I am due to have knee replacement surgery at Homerton next week. I had my pre-operative assessment on 11/11/15 and was advised I would receive another appointment to attend the knee clinic and have a tour of the ward. I did have a lot questions which the Nurse couldn't answer, but they advised a specialist nurse would be able to help at my next appointment. I never received this appointment, after weeks of phoning and being cut off, or transferred to the pre-assessment unit and the phone never being answered. I finally got to leave a voice message on 9/12/15. To date no-one has called me back, on 10/12/15 I called the orthopaedic clinic and explained my situation I was hoping to speak to the consultant directly and tell them my concerns, I have sent an email to them also, I was advised to call his secretary which I did do the next day. It was clear by their tone that they were stressed, I had to be really curt to get myself heard. However they did eventually listen to me when I threatened to cancel my operation and make a formal complaint. I was very impressed that they arranged for the registrar to call me back to answer my questions later that evening at 6pm. I explained to the doctor I hadn't attended knee clinic due to lack of appointment and that I didn't feel empowered due to lack of knowledge about the procedure, they did try to answer my questions, and advised at the end of the day "I am in control, I can have the operation or not" they explained the risks involved. Which I appreciate are a risk factor, however I told them I was very anxious wasn't sleeping well and developing panic attacks as I felt neglected due to not fully participating in my care. I was led to believe as per hospital explanation video that I would meet other patients undergoing the same treatment, learn about exercises to prepare for my operation, tour the ward. It was this proactive and inclusive approach that impressed me and led me to choose Homerton. I'm really disappointed with the lack of knowledge I did receive doesn't really prepare you for major surgery. The doctor didn't inform me what went wrong what led to the breakdown in communication, they just said "I think I know what went wrong" I got no apology from them, and no explanation as to what had gone wrong. I was left feeling like a naughty child. It's such a shame that the service has failed me. The consultant was professional and yet approachable I really trusted them with my care. However my contact with other staff has let the service down. No feedback,no empathy. Staff appear insincere and vague, they mutter to theirself and appear totally unaware that you can hear them. I still feel let down and totally unprepared for my operation. There is a definite lack of customer service skills clerical staff need training and medical staff need to know more about the total care experience rather than just disadvantages of surgical procedures. I'm now wondering if my experience would have been better at an orthopaedic hospital???

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 12 December 2015

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 24 December 2015

We are very sorry to hear about your poor experience of our orthopaedic service. Your feedback has been passed onto the service. We would like to understand more about what happened on this occasion so that we can give you a full explanation and aim to resolve the issues you have raised concerning your care and treatment. We hope you will contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) tel: 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email: PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk so that we can investigate further and give you an opportunity to discuss your concerns