Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

020 8510 5555 Homerton Row , London, Greater London, E9 6SR

Anonymous gave Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

My mother's colonoscopy

My mother had a colonoscopy procedure done at homerton recently and she said she's never ever experienced pain like the pain she felt during the procedure.. She was given no sedation and she felt every part of her being checked about. She said the pain was so excruciating that she felt like she was going to die. Unfortunately i was not there during the time but I'm sure as hell going to want explanation of why no sedation was offered and why she had to be awake the whole way through the process. I cannot believe no sedation was offered to an almost 80 year old woman. I'm disgusted.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 13 August 2017

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 August 2017

We are very sorry to hear about your mother’s poor experience of our colonoscopy service. Your comments have been passed to the service lead. If you have not already done so we hope you will contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) tel: 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email: PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk so that we can investigate further and give you an opportunity to discuss your concerns.

Anonymous gave Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Thoracic medicine outpatient appointment

I had a chest X-ray at your hospital on 4 8 17 at the request of my GP following discharge from the Homerton in May (pneumonia). After seeing the X-ray report, I was referred to the Thoracic Medicine Clinic. I received a letter from you dated 16 8 17 asking me to phone for an appointment. The booking clerk I spoke to (eventually) told me there were no available appointments within the six week waiting time guidelines. The clerk told me the referral would be forwarded to a service manager who would find me an appointment and would be in contact in 7-10 days. I waited, but heard nothing. I then received a letter from you dated 26 8 17 telling me that as I had failed to make contact with you, I had been discharged back to my GP. Obviously I phoned you straightaway and the booking clerk I spoke to this time told me exactly the same thing as I had been told the first time I phoned, ie, that they would "escalate" the request to a service manager, etc. I received a phone call from a service manager on 1 9 17 saying that they had received my letter and that I would be phoned back the following day. There has been no phone call or letter since and it is now 18 9 17. It is now well over the six week waiting time guidelines and I still do not even have an appointment date, let alone been seen in the clinic. I do not want to end up phoning Central Appointments a third time, only to be told exactly the same thing all over again by some booking clerk who sounds like they are reading from a rehearsed script. I am a 70 year old disabled pensioner, so who knows, I may not have the luxury of waiting until the middle of 2018 before I eventually get an appointment,. I have been attending the Homerton on and off ever since it was built and always rated it highly in the past, but I feel it has gone downhill in terms of patient care in recent times. Still waiting.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 18 September 2017

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 September 2017

We are very sorry to hear about your poor experience of our Outpatient booking service and the number of phone calls you have had to make and still not got an appointment date. We hope you will contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) tel: 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email: PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk so that we can investigate further and give you an opportunity to discuss your concerns.

M.Nasir gave Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Birthing Experience

We had a wonderful experience having our first child at Homerton Hospital. Antenatal, Birthing and Postnatal staff were all excellent. Very good birthing room facilities, clear and patient midwives and superb theatre staff. 10/10

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 15 February 2017

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 February 2017

Thank you for telling us about your positive experience of the care given by the maternity team. Your comments have been passed to the staff and they will be very pleased to have your feedback. Congratulations on the safe arrival of your new baby. If you have any further feedback, comment or query you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on tel. 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

By far the best hospital in the world!

I had a minor injury but the level of care and compassion towards me was far beyond expectations. I have been to many other hospitals in the country but homerton hospital put does them the quality the care was outstanding. I'm not one to right reviews but I had to mention. I'm very thankful and appreciate the hard work everyone puts in at the hospital even though it was busy and you can see the stress on the staff it didn't stop them smiling and making my experience a wonderful one. Thank you Homerton Hospital you guys are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 22 February 2017

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 07 March 2017

Thank you for telling us about your positive experience of our A&E department and the hospital. We are very pleased to hear that you had such good care from our staff. Your comments have been passed to the A&E staff who are always pleased to hear from their patients. If you have any further feedback, comment or query you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on tel. 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk

Excellent service

Excellent service. The doctors, nurses, reception staff on Tuke ward and the day case ward were excellent in every respect. On the two days I attended with my daughter I cannot fault the care my daughter was given. Credit also to the car park attendant for their assistance in finding me a car park space after I had been delayed by traffic and for the directions they gave me to get back to the motorway.
Overall a very impressive hospital and a credit to the NHS.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 14 February 2017

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 February 2017

Thank you for telling us about your positive experience of the care given on Tuke Ward and Day Case Unit for yourself and your daughter. We are also very pleased you were able to have parking space. Your comments have been sent to staff on Tuke ward and Day Stay Unit and to security who manage our parking service. They will be very pleased to have your feedback. If you have any further feedback, comment or query you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on tel. 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk

Amazing staff.

I have recently had to visit the Homerton and call the out of hours gp number. I am so grateful to everyone I have been in contact with there. From reception staff to gps, everyone is extremely professional, friendly and really good at making people feel at ease. I am extremely reluctant when it comes to visiting a hospital, but have been really made to feel comfortable and confident in the excellent care I have received. Very lucky to live in Hackney. Thank you.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 16 October 2016

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 31 October 2016

Thank you for telling us about your positive experience of the GP service. We are so pleased you were happy with the care and attention you received and have fed this back to the team. If you have any further feedback, comment or query you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on tel. 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk

gall bladder removal

Hi i found the staff all very helpful.Main reception which I cam to I found very efficient and poitite. The pre-operator staff were all professional. Who put my mind to rest. My only criticism of the process was that I arrived at 7am and was not see till gone 2pm, But I was not kept updated. The operation went smoothly ,and staff were attentive before and after the operation especially the anethestit. After the operation the member of staff had an excellent patient manner and was very supportive and is a credit to Homerton and the NHS.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 22 October 2016

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 31 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your positive experience of surgery at the Homerton. We are very sorry that you were not kept informed of any delays to your surgery. Your comments have been passed to the service. If you have any further feedback, comment or query you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on tel. 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk

steve gave Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Patient transport

I was informed that I could assist my parent on the day of their discharge. The time of the patient transport to take us home was booked for 11am. Three and a half hours later, we were still waiting ! My parent was getting very upset, and I was getting rather annoyed about the lack of communication when I asked if there was any news about how much longer we are going to wait. By this time, ,I was informed that the patient transport was not actually part of the NHS, but out to tender from a private company. When quizzed about this, regarding about keeping to the booking times, I was told that it was just a matter of waiting until someone turns up !!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 23 April 2016

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 April 2016

We are very sorry to hear about your experience of the transport service. Your feedback has been passed to the transport team. We would like to understand more about what happened on this occasion so that we can give you a full explanation and aim to resolve the issues you have raised concerning your care and treatment. We hope you will contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) tel: 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email: PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk so that we can investigate further and give you an opportunity to discuss your concerns.

Constance Slattery gave Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Switchboard

It is so encouraging to be able to call a hospital and get such a quick response! A real person answering phones! No mechanical voices droning on about "www dot" or "choose from the menu-6 options"....I was put straight through to Intensive Care.....and able to speak to the nurse who was caring for my relative-so"Well Done" Homerton Hospital for keeping it simple and quick!

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 06 February 2016

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 February 2016

Thank you very much for telling us about the very good and quick response you had from our switchboard and from ITU. We have passed your feedback onto the switchboard team and to ITU. If you have any further feedback, comment or query you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on tel. 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk

Hanah reviewed Rehabilitation at Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Routine Cervical Screening

This was the first time I used this service (The Clifden Centre). After around a 40 minute wait, a member of staff called me, introduced themself as one of the nurses at the centre (name)? They asked me some health and lifestyle questions (4mins) then said, "I'll just get one of the girls to assist me." I replied, "I requested a particular doctor or nurse when asked at reception?" They responded, "I just spent all that time for the consultation..." They then checked the top of the form and said, "Oh, it's written here." No apology though! They told me that I would have to go back in the waiting area and be called by a female colleague.
They made me feel as if I was wasting their time!!
So I waited for a further 5-7 mins and a nurse called me in. I told them of my experience and they didn't want to get involved but gave me a feedback form. I did tell them that this was my first visit here and that I was not aware how things were different to my usual venue (GP surgery).
They did make me feel as though I was not important - asked me some questions that were not necessary and their technique/comments during questioning were a bit unprofessional...
These are some of the things I think were not appropriate or could have been addressed/handled in a different manner:

They offered me other tests - when I asked if they are necessary; they said,
"Well I'm offering, you don't have to have them. Don't you trust your husband?" (What kind of ad lib is that)?

They asked me why I lost my periods so early (post menopausal for several years)? I told them about losing a fallopian tube during my last caesar could be possible?

They asked me about my caesareans and any complications. I told them that with my last baby, I had a incisional hernia repair, sterilisation and that my old scars opened up; I took a long time to recuperate. To this they exclaimed, "Was there a settlement!?" (Too personal) I explained that the complications were shared throughout my pregnancy and I had been told of other complications arising from them such as a hysterectomy although that did not happen, thankfully.

Next, they asked me if I would like another female present. I said no. They said, "Well I've got to ask you!" Didn't like the tone in their voice. To this I replied, "I am aware that you have to ask this but I trust you." I thought telling the patient first, "As part of the service, Would you like another female present?"

They asked me to get changed and I asked them, just my bottoms (I have had CS before but wanted to make sure). They said, "Yes, not your top; I'm not doing a breast screening!"
During the procedure, they told me to sit on the couch and move down. I shuffled down and they wanted me to shuffle further. I said that I couldn't so they said, Well if you lie down and move down... instead of telling me how to do this from the onset. I mean they could have said, 'Can you lie down then shuffle all the way down until I tell you to stop.

Will avoid using this service in future.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 25 December 2015

Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 January 2016

We are very sorry to hear about your poor experience of the service at the Clifden Centre. Your feedback has been passed onto the service. We would like to understand more about what happened on this occasion so that we can give you a full explanation and aim to resolve the issues you have raised concerning your care and treatment. We hope you will contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) tel: 020 8510 7315, or text 07584445400, or email: PALS.Service@homerton.nhs.uk so that we can investigate further and give you an opportunity to discuss your concerns