Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust

0844 8118110 Calls cost 5p per minute plus your phone company's access charge. Trust HQ and Education Centre, Aberford Road , Wakefield, West Yorkshire, WF1 4DG

Switchcoard staff

The switchboard staff are rude and unhelpful - I rang 3 times to speak to a general surgery secretary and was cut off 3 times after the person on the line asked me 5 times who I wanted to speak to then they put me through to the wrong department!!

I am Practice Secretary at a very large NHS practice and regularly ring the hospital and the switchboard staff are always rude! They make you feel as though you should not be bothering them!

Get them some training in customer service and how to deal politely and efficiently with callers

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 08 September 2017

Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 13 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and I am sorry to hear of your experience when contacting the hospital. Obviously this is not the service that we want people to experience.

It is clear to read that you are frustrated and disappointed with the Switchboard staff and as a result of your feedback, I have passed your comments on to the team manager.

Complaints & PALS Improvement Lead

Anonymous gave Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

excellent service at dewsbury and pinderfields

this review is on behalf of my wife who has recently been treated following her breaking a wrist in a domestic accident.from her initial visit to a&e at Dewsbury and her immediate referral to the fracture clinic at pinderfields and the follow up physiotherapy treatment she received at Dewsbury has been of the very highest order.we hope our thanks and appreciation will be passed on to all doctors' nurses' physios,and receptionists,will be passed on for what we consider to be very professional prompt pleasant and patient in all aspects of the care and attention that she has received..

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 20 October 2017

Lennymoo gave at Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

Sinus and nasal

Admitted via go to ponders in Sept last year acute labyrinthitus had scan etcENT dept too busy to come and examine me, had a scan on day three of my head and told a follow up appointment would be made for me in outpatients. This year in February contacted PGH as I had not heard anything, outpatients said they would make an appointment of which I received for March. I duly attended and saw one of the doctors whose opening remark was "why are you here? I tried several times to explain but kept getting interrupted, we finally left with no answers to my on going problem.
I the received another letter for an appointment in April to which I p romptley attended, saw a different doctor who had all the info in front of him scans etc who p romptley stated I needed corrective surgery to my nasal passages and a sinus washout.
I had to go back and see the doctor today and it was the first doctor I saw who didn't even have scam pictures up and stated surgery not going to be done came away very confused and feel ad though I am wasting my time as the doctor just was not listening, they did not look at the narrowing of my nasal airway and suggested I go back to my go and get referred to a maxofacial specialist. Very confused after all this wait thought I was getting somewhere to stop this balance problem. Not happy

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 15 August 2017

Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 09 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on NHS Choices.

It is clear, from your posting, that you have been left feeling frustrated and confused. I am sorry that you have been left feeling that way.

It would be helpful if you could contact our PALS team who would be happy to have a chat with you about your experiences. They can be contacted on 01924 542972 or email pals@midyorks.nhs.uk

jswaudby reviewed Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust

ENT appointment consultant clinic Pontefract General

I have just been for an appt in ENT at Pontefract Hospital. What a fantastic place. I was early so had lunch in reception, great meal.i booked in electronically which was easy and sat in reception waiting for my name to appear on screen. It appeared and directed me to ENT. I saw a pleasant receptionist who booked me in and sat for 5 minutes and was then taken by a very pleasant audiologist for hearing tests. Within half an hour I'd been seen by the lovely registrar who discharged me. The nurses were wonderful.
I've been a hospital manager for many years and therefore observe front of house skills, the staff in this unit have some of the best I've seen during my NHS years ( 42 )
Please congratulate the staff , they're all angels ??

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 06 July 2017

Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 09 October 2017

Thank you so much for the taking time to share your lovely feedback regarding your experience with our ENT service. All of our staff are fully committed to providing patients with the best standard of care they possible can. It is good to know that your experience was positive from beginning to end.

Your comments will be shared with the team who will be thrilled to read of your comments.

Thank you again and I hope you are now fully recovered from your operation.

LUBBY68 reviewed Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust

This is not a nice feeling

I have waited 5 months to get to this part of MSK, to find out, wait extra day because you don't do admin til Friday. First appointment cancel because they were not going to do a clinic.
This is not a nice feeling when your messing people lives around, in agony and pain

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 10 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Patient Liaison Manager, Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 13 July 2017

Dear Lubby68
We are sorry that you have had a poor experience and appreciate your frustration.
We would be pleased to arrange for the matter to be investigated if you would like to contact us directly.

Anonymous reviewed Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust

quality of food served on wards and resteraunt.

Dear sir / madam i would like to comment on the standard of food served on the wards and in the resteraunt in dewsbury hospital.my partner was admitted into the hospital for 5 days and the quality of the meals served to him were very good. I also had meals myself in the resteraunt and found the standard was also very good,the catering staff in the resteraunt were very pleasant. thankyou mrs a studd.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 17 June 2017

Anonymous gave Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

Badly managed and confusing phones and expensive numbers

I trained at pinderfields , Clayton and county which are pulled down now. While training years ago pinderfields was run on the cheap at nights mostly by pupils and students. I have been a patient over the years and care is either great or shocking. Recently seen in outpatients by consultant who was filling forms out and walking about as soon as I got in the room. Given forms and one of the nurses said to give to reception without explanation of how 2 urgent referrals would work. 2 nurses in with consultant were as my friend referred to as 2 dummies just stood and sat?? one in blue and other think hca . Got one referral by phone next day and other by post day after both same time one at Pontefract the other at pinderfields. After being passed about on confusing telephone system was given both at Pontefract within 40 minutes of each other. Attended and told couldn't have them at same time as contraindicated but consultant said ok as rang secretary! I've been passed about on telephones and don't know if your through to pinderfields or Pontefract to be told can't answer that. Attended Pontefract this week and couldn't have wished for for better and everything explained and promptly treated. I tried to get referral sent as it was only telephoned through and told cant do that due to cost but I was sent medical form with app card forvit through post. Returned home and my app had come through the post that I'd just been to along with 2 other app. Did get text reminder but didn't say which hospital, rang and told due to data protection unable to say which hospital. Outpatient phone line staff are lovely and have a caring attitude.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 31 August 2017

Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 01 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments. I am sorry to hear of your experience which is not something we would want anyone to experience when accessing our services. However, it is encouraging to read that when you added Pontefract your experience was positive.

Given that this is a public website, it would not be appropriate to go into detail. Therefore, if you would like for us to investigate your concerns please contact us via email on pals@midyorks.nhs.uk or on 01924 542972.

Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We sincerely value your feedback as this will help us to improve our services for other people in the future.

Complaints & PALS Improvement Lead

K Wright gave Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Appointment centre disgusting

Had nothing but trouble with this appointment centre and the hospitals departments neurology and cardiology
I rang to change an appointment explained that I wasn’t from the area and that I need a more convenient appointment also it was for on the same day I had a referral appointment that, that doctor had made for me so clearly not checking my records and communicating before making this appointment baring in mind I’m almost 6months post op and still not seen my cardiologist for my 6 week check up again it got cancelled. During this phone call they told me they were going to discharge me from the hospital which I’m sure they can’t do then threw something at me about Huddersfield’s hospital I’ve never mentioned that hospital phone call in total cost me £12 because they left me on hold. Finally got through for the 3rd time of trying on the same day to someone that talked sense. Rang again today because my neurology department has cancelled my appointments 5 times now and keep changing it to a date which again I have told them about several times that I can’t do because I’m not even in the country and apparently that’s the one day the doctor is coming in from leave well They should fill their job role temporarily then because it’s not good when you have short term memory loss and you can’t remember if you fed your baby or not. Poor customer service skills it should be shut down

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 06 October 2017

Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 09 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on NHS Choices.

I am sorry to hear you have had a poor experience of using our services. That is not something we would want anyone to experience and it is clear from your posting, that you have been left feeling very frustrated.

Anonymous gave Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic care at Pontefract elective orthopaedic suite

My 82 year old father has just had a Hip replacement and recovered at the Pontefract elective orthopaedic suite. The kindness and care shown to him by the team during his stay was outstanding but in particular by the sister. It is encouraging that with all the bad press the NHS seems to receive nowadays, that there are staff and facilities which are really outstanding.

Thank you so much.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 29 April 2017

Old nurse reviewed Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Community IV therapy team Wakefield

Recently my husband has had to have long term iv antibiotics for an infection in his foot. It was decided that instead of receiving these in hospital he would have them at home given by our local community iv therapy team. I would like to thank this amazing team for all they have done over the last 8 weeks! What a brilliant service given by a dedicated team of professionals. Lovely caring nurses who have often gone over and above the job they had been asked to do. Thank you once again. I do hope you all get the recognition you deserve.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 30 April 2017 using Care Opinion

Paul Jepson, Patient Liaison Manager, Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 02 May 2017

Dear Old nurse
Thank you very much indeed for this lovely feedback! We really appreciate your kind coments and will be pleased to relay these to the staff concerned.
Thanks again for taking the time to post; we wish you and your husband well going forward.